• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I kinda doubt Obama is going to bodyslam Trump by name, and he probably shouldn't. As noted, Trump craves attention and no one mentioning him by name is probably giving him stress. Obama is not a pugilist. He has always appealed to our better angels and so he will talk about what's at stake and Hillary's qualification for his job. He was her boss after all.

Leave the muckraking to pit fighters like Warren.

It's like Voldemort.

This is my thought too. The VP is supposed to be the attack dog, but Kaine's role is the personable one since Clinton can struggle with that, so he shouldn't be too negative. It's below the President, so it falls to Biden.

Biden will be bringing the heat tomorrow. And I'm looking forward to it.
Good cop/Bad cop all over again!

Paskil

"She sent me, in this primary, to West Virginia, where she knew we were gonna lose, to look those coal miners in the eye and say: 'I'm down here because Hillary sent me to tell you, that if you really think you can get the economy you had 50 years back, have at it. Go for it, whatever you want to. But if she wins, she is coming back for you to take you along for a ride to America's future.'"

*finger wagging increases*

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

I hate to say it, but the Republican Convention was far more interesting (with a much more beautiful set) than the Democratic Convention!

Boohoo

If there is anyone who can balance the fire of hitting Trump and building up Hillary it's Obama. Offering the stark contrast is something that is completely up his alley. I hope though we get some of the introspective Obama about his last 8 years.

Iolo

I kinda doubt Obama is going to bodyslam Trump by name, and he probably shouldn't. As noted, Trump craves attention and no one mentioning him by name is probably giving him stress. Obama is not a pugilist. He has always appealed to our better angels and so he will talk about what's at stake and Hillary's qualification for his job. He was her boss after all.

Leave the muckraking to pit fighters like Warren.

So you never saw the correspondents' dinner where he tore Trump a new asshole after months of birther controversy?

So I just want to recap the obvious:

RNC:
- The son of some shmuck from Duck Dynasty
- Bob Loblaw
- An underwear model who says Obama is a Muslim

DNC:
- America Ferrera
- Sarah Silverman
- Meryl Streep

I mean I get that Republicans like to constantly talk about "liberal Hollywood" and "Mainstream Media", but you would think that a situation like this would make them think "gee, maybe we conservatives should try appealing to the most well known faces".

VRMN

So you never saw the correspondents' dinner where he tore Trump a new asshole after months of birther controversy?

Different context. Trump was not a political opponent at that point; he was a celebrity and a national joke.

...wait. He's still those things, but he's also a political opponent now. The President is supposed to be above being a pure attack dog.

Two completely different settings. I dont doubt he can rip him three buttholes. But tomorrow night's speech calls for soaring heights and people going YAS.

pigeon

Banned
I just don't believe that anger and fear can win on a national level in America against optimism and hope. It flies right in the face of the American experience.

I think this will be a landslide.

Geg

So real question: If they can actually tie Trump to the DNC email hack and this becomes a Watergate 2.0 deal... what then? Is there some contingency in place if the nominee of a major party is arrested? I guess it would go to Pence? What if Pence is somehow implicated too (though I highly doubt he's got anything to do with Trump's campaign)?

User1608

Banned
I just don't believe that anger and fear can win on a national level in America against optimism and hope. It flies right in the face of the American experience.

This is what I was thinking too. Let's hope you're right.😃

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So real question: If they can actually tie Trump to the DNC email hack and this becomes a Watergate 2.0 deal... what then? Is there some contingency in place if the nominee of a major party is arrested? I guess it would go to Pence? What if Pence is somehow implicated too (though I highly doubt he's got anything to do with Trump's campaign)?

Well...I'm pretty sure that would be an unprecedented eventuality.

Iolo

Two completely different settings. I dont doubt he can rip him three buttholes. But tomorrow night's speech calls for soaring heights and people going YAS.

All right, I trust Obama's political instincts in striking the correct tone, so I won't complain if he holds off on Trump.

Effect

In addition, if anyone has any outlook, if anything else is released does the media focus on it or where it came from due to the russian links. Ugh I need to stop thinking about this, especially things outside of anyone's control.

gcubed

Trump has no ties to it, it's not worth talking about. Putin pushing for him to win is pretty clear cut, but Trump isn't part of it, hes just an idiot that Putin thinks will be easier to deal with.

AntoneM

This is the fundamental thing that Frank Luntz doesn't understand.

ampere

Even just as a thought experiment, this is intriguing. I think the RNC could pick a different candidate, possibly they'd go with Pence if he wasn't implicated as well. No idea if there's a deadline, like when the ballots are all set or something

Already knew what this was gonna be lol. She was in a good mood

VRMN

I might die laughing if after the months of "is Hillary going to be indicted?" if it ends up that Trump gets indicted.

But being indicted is not disqualifying from federal office by itself. Trump would have to resign from the ticket voluntarily and could serve as President, even under indictment, if elected. Basically he'd have to be convicted to be removed from office. Innocent until proven guilty, after all.

In addition, if anyone has any outlook, if anything else is released does the media focus on it or where it came from due to the russian links. Ugh I need to stop thinking about this, especially things outside of anyone's control.

Considering the media stopped giving a shit about the e-mails after like 2 days when they realized that it originated from Russia (which is a much better story), anything else that gets leaked like this is going to be tainted.

Everyone should be laughing at Wikileaks (and be horrified, that shit in Turkey) for the backfire that's going on. If you need evidence of how thoroughly those losers got blown the fuck out just look at their Twitter responses and how the only change they made in the DNC was DWS' resignation and an apology. Otherwise it did nothing.

For the last few days in Utah, people have been putting up American flags in their yard to celebrate the Utah holiday of Pioneer Day.

The holiday celebrates Mormons fleeing from the United States and starting their own Mormon state.

What does this have to do with American patriotism?

They don't even need to tie it to Trump. As long as they can tie it to anyone in the campaign, the election will be over. Nothing will come of this, though.

On a related note, there really needs to be some sort of international tribunal to deal with cyber crimes like this. Even if the US government can 100% prove that the Russians did this, what is the consequence? There's nothing we can really do about it. The laws need to catch up with this new reality, countries shouldn't be able to launch attacks on each other like this.

sphagnum

Banned
For the last few days in Utah, people have been putting up American flags in their yard to celebrate the Utah holiday of Pioneer Day.

The holiday celebrates Mormons fleeing from the United States and starting their own Mormon state.

What does this have to do with American patriotism?

Mormons love the Constitution because it's a divinely inspired document, so they're the real Americans. I guess.

man, my social media feeds look a lot less poisonous now that i've unfriended/unfollowed all the far-left bombthrowers

(which is weird because one of them was an anarchist and, like, i'd stay friends with benji which is kind of a testament to how poisonous that shit was getting)

The problem for MSNBC, I think, is they don't know how to deal with this whole female nominee thing. A candidate's spouse is supposed to get up there and give a humanizing, life story type speech. We didn't ask Michelle to get up there and lay out, point by point, Obama's healthcare plan. We didn't ask or expect Laura Bush to get up and give a speech on The Bush Doctrine.

This is our first female presidential nominee. This is the first time we've ever had a husband speak as to why we should elect his wife for President. And, the media isn't sure how to deal with that. Plus, it's a former President. A speech about how a President was upstaged by a First Lady is kind of hard for a lot of the media to understand.

That and MSNBC Is a mess lately.

gcubed

The problem for MSNBC, I think, is they don't know how to deal with this whole female nominee thing. A candidate's spouse is supposed to get up there and give a humanizing, life story type speech. We didn't ask Michelle to get up there and lay out, point by point, Obama's healthcare plan. We didn't ask or expect Laura Bush to get up and give a speech on The Bush Doctrine.

This is our first female presidential nominee. This is the first time we've ever had a husband speak as to why we should elect his wife for President. And, the media isn't sure how to deal with that. Plus, it's a former President. A speech about how a President was upstaged by a First Lady is kind of hard for a lot of the media to understand.

That and MSNBC Is a mess lately.

PBS loved it, but man their live coverage is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom