• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1608

Banned
I want to see a defeat similar to the london mayoral race or the recent canadian election for trump even though I do think hilary popular vote margin will be bigger than the later by a bit by probably 1 to 3 percent and maybe as much as 5.
I am really looking forward to Trump's response. He will certainly meltdown really badly considering this almost four years ago:

Screen-Shot-2012-11-07-at-12.13.43-AM3.png

I am not looking forward to his supporters' reactions, however. I've accepted the possibility there will probably be a lot of mass violence as a result of his loss.:/

Link

The Autumn Wind
Why does Kayleigh the Trump supporter get so much air time? She is pretty bad
All of the Trump mouthpieces on CNN get far too much airtime and its fucking awful. They bring any conversation to a screeching halt because all they can do is spout talking points, most of the time that don't even have to do with what's being discussed.

Geg

lol I think I actually remember seeing that "more votes equals a loss!" tweet four years ago. I don't even remember a point during election night when it looked like Romney would win the popular vote

edit: Wait there were a lot more of them too. Why the hell did he think Romney won the popular vote?

Slayven

She and Jeffrey Lorde are the reason I don't watch CNN anymore.
Jeffery Lord can at least hold a conversation, she locks up if she can't counter via talking point.
All of the Trump mouthpieces on CNN get far too much airtime and its fucking awful. They bring any conversation to a screeching halt because all they can do is spout talking points, most of the time that don't even have to do with what's being discussed.
Van Jones and Anderson Cooper are too good for the network.

I am really looking forward to Trump's response. He will certainly meltdown really badly considering this almost four years ago:

I am not looking forward to his supporters' reactions, however. I've accepted the possibility there will probably be a lot of mass violence as a result of his loss.:/
Wait. He lost the popular vote? wtf? Let me guess, he was being an idiot and took whatever the count was at the media the media called the election?

Edit: Worth an ironic mention that Trump could probably win the popular vote by 2-3 points and lose the EC with how demographics are right now.
She's a moron. And I don't say that colloquially. She's literally a low-intelligence person.
My father can't even tell between the varied Trump media surrogates and some of the FOX hosts. They're all just part of "Trump blonde 6-pack"

User1608

Banned
lol I think I actually remember seeing that "more votes equals a loss!" tweet four years ago. I don't even remember a point during election night when it looked like Romney would win the popular vote

edit: Wait there were a lot more of them too. Why the hell did he think Romney won the popular vote?
It was fun seeing by the end that Obama had a pretty comfortable win.
Wait. He lost the popular vote? wtf? Let me guess, he was being an idiot and took whatever the count was at the media the media called the election?

Edit: Worth an ironic mention that Trump could probably win the popular vote by 2-3 points and lose the EC with how demographics are right now.
Yup. Dude is fucking stupid lol.

Another thing I mentioned in the DNC thread many hours ago (because I can't sleep!) is how funny it is that Trump was presumptively scared by Bill's incoming speech at the time and the fact they were once friendly, like in that picture of them golfing together with Rudy Giuliani. Life is funny.

anaron

CNN democrat strategist (eta: Maria)repeating a great point: don't ever assume it's some sort of cakewalk to the presidency. Complacency is a scary thing

mo60

Screen-Shot-2012-11-07-at-12.13.43-AM3.png

If he actually lost by a significant amount like by 10 points his reacton may not be pretty but at the same time I do think he will be pretty nice about his loss.

Tubie

He's pre-tweeting as we speak.

It's like pre-drinking, but only for people with small hands and bad spray tans.

He's probably in some obscure corner of Trump Tower he only knows about, hiding from Manafort, so he doesn't get his phone privileges taken away again.

User1608

Banned
CNN democrat strategist repeating a great point: don't ever assume it's some sort of cakewalk to the presidency. Complacency is a scary thing
All this scaremongering about the polls is definitely for the best. Will hopefully motivate Democrats and sane, sensible Republicans to vote against Trump.
If he actually lost by a significant amount like by 10 points his reacton may not be pretty but at the same time I do think he will be pretty nice about his loss.
It'll be interesting.

My god why am I torturing myself watching CNN.

mo60

All this scaremongering about the polls is definitely for the best. Will hopefully motivate Democrats and sane, sensible Republicans to vote against Trump.
Yep. It is.I do hope lots of people are motivated to vote against trump on November 8th.Some trump supporters will probably be shocked on that day anyway.

User1608

Banned
Yep. It is.I do hope lots of people are motivated to vote against trump on November 8th.Some trump supporters will probably be shocked on that day anyway.
Hoping for the best!

And lol O'Reilly got ethered by this panel.

This blonde in blue is so stupid.

Vahagn

I'm actually of the mind that Bill's speech wasn't all that good. I mean, he's Bill, so he's got a pretty high floor.

But compared to 2012 - which was a masterpiece, this speech was a little too meandering. He's also always been much better at discussing policy and philosophy than he has been at propping up Hillary or himself, so it was a much harder speech to get into.

But like, Michelle in 2012 did an absolutely amazing Spouse speech. This was entirely good-not-great and I suspect we're going to hear a lot of mixed reactions tomorrow.

The Obamas truly are the GOAT public speakers.

I have no idea what happened this last year or so to MSNBC. They've gone really weird. And idk why.

Also, does anyone ever look at the electoral map from 2000 and just let out a real low "motherfuck"?

royalan

I think that Bill's speech being criticized, primarily for its lack of policy detailing no less, is evidence of how deeply this election is challenging our acceptance of gender rolls and how long we still have to go in breaking ourselves from them.

Bill wasn't there to discuss policy tonight. He was playing the roll of the wife tonight. Structurally, thematically, Bill's speech was as close to The Perfect 'Candidate's Wife' Speech as we've gotten.

User1608

Banned
Because the alternatives are Fox News and MSNBC. We really need better cable news in this country.
It's largely why I use the internet and gaf.
-
And Jerry Springer is doing surprisingly okay here on the panel. His show is still trashy though lol. I grew up watching it which makes it funny in hindsight and such a surprise he's insightful.

Vahagn

I think that Bill's speech being criticized, primarily for its lack of policy detailing no less, is evidence of how deeply this election is challenging our acceptance of gender rolls and how long we still have to go in breaking ourselves from them.

Bill wasn't there to discuss policy tonight. He was playing the roll of the wife tonight. Structurally, thematically, Bill's speech was as close to The Perfect 'Candidate's Wife' Speech as we've gotten.

Uh, I didn't criticize him for NOT giving policy. I said he's at his best when he's giving policy. Not the same thing.

He wasn't supposed to give policy today, or talk philosophy. But he's not nearly as good at doing what he did today as he is in a policy speech. If you want a perfect spouse speech, watch 2012 Michelle or 2008 Michelle. 2016 Bill isn't nearly on the same level. It's meandering, a tad condescending, and poorly organized.

The truth is, this wasn't a great speech. It was good-not-great. Thing is, most spouse speeches are good-not-great. Do you remember anything Hillary said in 92 or 96? Do you remember Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan? Of course not.

The combination of Michelle being fire the last 3 conventions, and Bill usually being fire, meant that the expectations for this speech were the level of oratory and skill that Bill usually brings. But instead, he gave a very forgettable but solid spouse speech that no one will remember in 10 years - partly because it's hard to be memorable in this type of speech, and partly because propping up Hillary or himself isn't his strength with humanizing anecdotes has never been his strength.

Necrovex

Because the alternatives are Fox News and MSNBC. We really need better cable news in this country.

The worst aspect about visiting back home in the US was the selection of abysmal news channels. South Africa shouldn't have higher quality channels for me to choose compared to the US. No AJE and having a difficult time finding BBC World News made me sad. At least PBS continues to be solid.

Brinbe

I thought it was perfect. He humanized her and personalized her life/their lives together and her life-long devotion to others in a way no one else could. It was touching, down-to-earth and exactly what he should have done as her spouse. There's no reason to compare or contrast, just take it for what it was, a look into the lives of two private people. This was Hillary as wife, mother, friend, change-agent, and not the caricature portrayed through the media.

watershed

Banned
I've been super busy, I didn't watch a minute of the DNC Day 2. I just now watched meryl streep's speech and I'm about to watch Bill's. Can anyone give me a summary of day 2? I read a few articles too, seems like it was another very successful day, even more so than day 1?

royalan

He wasn't supposed to give policy today, or talk philosophy. But he's not nearly as good at doing what he did today as he is in a policy speech. If you want a perfect spouse speech, watch 2012 Michelle or 2008 Michelle. 2016 Bill isn't nearly on the same level. It's meandering, a tad condescending, and poorly organized.

But don't you see what you're doing? In order to critique Bill tonight, you're comparing him to Michelle giving great-but-traditional Candidate's Wife/First Lady speeches. You're doing that because you literally cannot compare Bill Clinton tonight to another man tasked with the same job in American politics. He is the first.

It's flawed to look at Bill Clinton's speech tonight within the context of his previous speeches. Tonight he was not only doing something that he's never done before, but that no American politician at this level has had to do before: be the man tasked with humanizing his stern, hawkish presidential candidate of a wife.

Bill had a something of an impossible task, with partially unknown responsibilities and no precedent. Having to to talk as the spouse speech as both a potential First Dude and as a former President has to have been awkward as hell. Someone having to tackle just one of those would be hard enough.

So he told a story instead of giving a speech. Only he could pull this off. He did the safest possible thing, and a thing that needed to be done. There can't not be a spouse speech, but this was uncharted waters. Someone had to go up there and explain that Hillary was an actual human being with actual feelings and Bill couldn't be absolved of that duty just because of his old job. I can appreciate how from the perspective of a long-time insider sorting out the reversed typical gender roles would be hard to process on the fly, but they need to get the fuck over it in a hurry.

Democrats having orators like this is outright unfair. Seriously.

AniHawk

I've been super busy, I didn't watch a minute of the DNC Day 2. I just now watched meryl streep's speech and I'm about to watch Bill's. Can anyone give me a summary of day 2? I read a few articles too, seems like it was another very successful day, even more so than day 1?

i'd say so. very little booing (if any), and the roll call went really well. the final vote: the nomination via acclamation, was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi2z4VJ4G8s

I still can't believe how dumb McAuliffe was, that story will have legs as it is what Bernie supporters have been saying all along.

He gave a shit speech and is a shit surrogate.

Maledict

still no response to Michelle Obama's speech from trump? heh

Actually he said he thought the speech was good and the delivery excellent. No joke.

"Trump told The Hollywood Reporter, in an interview released Tuesday, that he liked Obama’s speech. "I thought her delivery was excellent," he said. "I thought she she did a very good job. I liked her speech."

thebloo

Just read that Michael Moore post about why Trump will win... what a bunch of dog shit...

Filmmaker Michael Moore joined HuffPost Live Thursday and predicted that the influence of money in politics would lift Mitt Romney to victory over President Barack Obama in November.
“Mitt Romney is going to raise more money than Barack Obama. That should guarantee his victory,” Moore told host Josh Zepps. “I think people should start to practice the words ‘President Romney.’

Out of the reasons I'm worried, Moore is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom