• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who's he voting for then?

They can shame and disapprove of him all they want but if they still support him then who cares.

Dude was a birther anyway.

To me, it's more along the lines of making it unacceptable for a moderate to support Trump. The issue, though, is there are like 19 ads you can cut from his interview today. How do you pick one stupid thing to hammer?

Two Ohio Unions have endorsed Portman over Strickland

The article argues for what I've been saying for a while. Strickland is not running a good race here. He's just kinda ... there.

Am I crazy or is CNN and MSNBC barely even talking about the Khans? They had him on SOTU but that's about it.

MTP was this morning, I think the coverage will start later in the day and am sure it will be all over their primetime shows tomorrow.

I'm more curious about what Russia connection reporting NBC is working on given Todd's baiting of Manafort.

aliengmr

Nope. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are terrible human beings and Hillary is making it extremely difficult to vote for her as the first woman POTUS with such outlandish claims about what Pres. Obama and his team have done in terms of private sector job growth. I've outlined earlier what I think Mr. Trump could do to punch his ticket to the WH and the main idea he needs to ditch from Romney and the rest is their tax cut bias for the rich.

This sort of thing amazes me.

Hillary uses campaign spin/rhetoric, and it's the crime of the century.

Trump trolls on twitter, gives shit tier speeches, insults people multiple times a day, is wildly inconsistent, flat out lies, and it's "Well, if he fixes that tax plan, he should be good as gold."

The double standards are staggering.

kess

This sort of thing amazes me.

Hillary uses campaign spin/rhetoric, and it's the crime of the century.

Trump trolls on twitter, gives shit tier speeches, insults people multiple times a day, is wildly inconsistent, flat out lies, and it's "Well, if he fixes that tax plan, he should be good as gold."

The double standards are staggering.

SO genuine!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Manafort on MTP basically dug Trump a bigger hole. I think that maybe Trump's teflon is wearing off.

Edit: Chuck Todd's questioning on platform language coming from the Trump campaign seemed to be setting up Manafort; there is a story there that NBC is building.
Manafort getting called out
I like where this is heading. There are so many strings to pull on the Russian connections.

To me, it's more along the lines of making it unacceptable for a moderate to support Trump. The issue, though, is there are like 19 ads you can cut from his interview today. How do you pick one stupid thing to hammer?

The article argues for what I've been saying for a while. Strickland is not running a good race here. He's just kinda ... there.
Yeah. I think if there's a big enough wave he can be dragged across the finish line but he's probably not going to win on his own merits. We'll have to see how the race breaks I guess, it seems to be mired in high 30s/low 40s like a lot of other Senate races usually are about now.

Except Feingold who polls close to high 40s/low 50s. Because he's the fucking man.

Effect

Am I crazy or is CNN and MSNBC barely even talking about the Khans? They had him on SOTU but that's about it.

MSNBC had sections about it in their coverage. I believe AM Joy did and I think Alex Witt covered it during her hour as well. Now at the moment Meet the Press is on with the interview with the father.

I mean, I'm glad they didn't offer you a job for other reasons, but okay! We both got the result we wanted.

Lol I applied for a job there. Had an interview and all. Left DC though.

i actually searched the person who interviewed me and found some really boring emails.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What exactly does Trump say he wants to do with NATO? Just get USA out of it?

Pay if you want protection, 2% of the country's GDP. That's the amount that was already agreed to pay by 2024.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c48430-4f51-11e6-a7d8-13d06b37f256_story.html

But Earnest acknowledged that Obama believes Europe needs to pay its “fair share.” He noted that NATO member countries have agreed to spend 2 percent of their GDP on defense by 2024.

Sean Kay, who chairs the international studies program at Ohio Wesleyan University and informally advised Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) during his run for the Democratic presidential nomination, called Trump’s approach “more like a bull in a china shop.”

“It’s in a long tradition, from the founding of NATO, to get the Europeans to defend themselves and be less reliant on the United States,” he said. “The problem is the way he’s going about it. It does damage to the idea.”

Bowdz

MTP was this morning, I think the coverage will start later in the day and am sure it will be all over their primetime shows tomorrow.

I'm more curious about what Russia connection reporting NBC is working on given Todd's baiting of Manafort.

Do you guys have a link to the Manafort interview? It keeps getting brought up, but I don't know what happened?

The Democrats need to be ready for heir debates with this attack: you support the Republican nominee, do you support these positions? If not, why are you still supporting the nominee?

That needs to be hammered home in every single race except IL (because Kirk actually has a spine and revoked his endorsement of Trump). I know Trump voters won't give a shit about contortions, but I think enough voters will to win these Senate races.

Just keep hitting them on "My opponent supports Trump. Does he support Trump's attacks on a gold star family? No? Then why is he still supporting Trump?" They need to hammer the notion that supporting Trump is the same as supporting what comes out of his mouth and if it isn't, then they are political cowards not willing to stand up for their beliefs.

Grief.exe

What exactly does Trump say he wants to do with NATO? Just get USA out of it?

Under the NATO agreement, countries are supposed to spend 2% of their GDP or greater on military.

Many of the countries in the group don't hold to that provision, Trump believes this is taking advantage of the United States. Seems to be quite the stretch.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I guess what I don't understand and would actually like someone to explain to me about 538 is why Quin's poll from June 21-June 27 is actually the heaviest weighted. The Marist poll from a few weeks later (and they are a better ranked pollster) has a lesser weight.

Meanwhile a Gravis Marketing poll from post RNC gets a weight of .84 compared to yesterday's PPP poll of .83. PPP is better ranked and is more recent. So what is it?

The only really clear correlation I can see is # of RVs.

itschris

The current hour of CNN has been all about this. They just had that idiotic Muslims for Trump guy from the RNC on, ranting and raving. He was defending Trump, arguing it was reasonable for Trump to believe that the wife wasn't allowed to speak because women can't drive in Saudi Arabia. Of course, all the other guests were outraged at him.

Immigration was not a hot-button issue in Austria until the 1980s. Under Haider's leadership, on the list of most important issues for voters immigration went from being practically non-existent before 1989, to the 10th-most-important in 1990, and the second-most-important in 1992. In 1993, the controversial "Austria First!" initiative attempted to collect signatures for a referendum on immigration restrictions and asserted that "Austria is not a country of immigration."[84]

The party maintained that "the protection of cultural identity and social peace in Austria requires a stop to immigration," maintaining that its concern was not against foreigners, but to safeguard the interests and cultural identity of native Austrians.[85] Although during the late 1990s the party attacked the influence of radical Islam, this was later expanded to include "Islamisation" and the increasing number of Muslims in general.[86] According to The Economist, the hostility to Muslims is "a strategy that resonates with voters of Serbian background, whom the party has assiduously cultivated."[87] The party has also vowed to outlaw the distribution of free copies of the Koran.[88]

During the period of ÖVP-FPÖ government, many amendments were introduced to tighten the country's immigration policies.[3] The number of new asylum applications, for example, was reduced from 32,000 in 2003 to 13,300 in 2006.[89]

Get a platform not from Austria, Don.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Under the NATO agreement, countries are supposed to spend 2% of their GDP or greater on military.

Many of the countries in the group don't hold to that provision, Trump believes this is taking advantage of the United States. Seems to be quite the stretch.

Canada only spent 1% of GDP on military last year

And the USA likely considers Canada by far their top ally, so trying to publicly force their top ally to pay up isn't going to go over well with relations lol

The current hour of CNN has been all about this. They just had that idiotic Muslims for Trump guy from the RNC on, ranting and raving. He was defending Trump, arguing it was reasonable for Trump to believe that the wife wasn't allowed to speak because women can't drive in Saudi Arabia. Of course, all the other guests were outraged at him.

Can't stand these lying or self-hating fucks. How many "Muslims" in this scum's organization, like 5? No Muslim in their right mind would support Trump and the rhetoric he's spewed, which consists of conflating Muslims and terrorism at every opportunity, and encouraging an environment of suspicion and hatred.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Well, they are taking advantage of the US. But threatening their safety is not the way to fix it.

Iolo

So I guess what I don't understand and would actually like someone to explain to me about 538 is why Quin's poll from June 21-June 27 is actually the heaviest weighted. The Marist poll from a few weeks later (and they are a better ranked pollster) has a lesser weight.

Meanwhile a Gravis Marketing poll from post RNC gets a weight of .84 compared to yesterday's PPP poll of .83. PPP is better ranked and is more recent. So what is it?

The only really clear correlation I can see is # of RVs.

It's possible the Gravis one is weighted more because the models tend to discard very recent polls around convention time, and the PPP one is more recent.

This would probably be cleared up by a nice blog post, but I understand the 538 team would rather spend that space and time on running IM chats about their election thoughts

Balphon

Canada only spent 1% of GDP on military last year

And the USA likely considers Canada by far their top ally, so trying to publicly force their top ally to pay up isn't going to go over well with relations lol

To say nothing of the fact that one of the countries that actually hits 2% is Estonia.

Trump has said he wouldn't protect NATO allies that do pay the full 2% like Estonia, he just wants to run NATO as a thing where European nations pay a ton of protection money to the United States.

Anyway:

The poll published by the Oesterreich paper on Sunday showed the midpoint of the wide range of support for Hofer at 52 percent -- one point higher than a poll in early July found -- versus 48 percent for van der Bellen.

Fifty-seven percent of the 600 respondents cited Hofer's personality as the most important factor, followed by "protection from terror" at 56 percent and "more stringent asylum policy" at 55 percent, the paper said.

Austria, listen, I have something to tell you.

Literally no terror organization cares about you.

None at all.

You are irrelevant and no one cares about you.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-austria-election-poll-idUKKCN10B09T

This is the same garbage as when people in South Carolina worry about ISIS. Motherfucker, ISIS isn't gonna be concerned with your state.

Grief.exe

Well, they are taking advantage of the US. But threatening their safety is not the way to fix it.

They are taking advantage of the relative safety the US provides worldwide by spending 3-6% of the worlds largest GDP on military, but that is a couple jumps removed from directly taking advantage of the United States.

I just put on an ad blocker and went through a click bait "25 celebrities that endorse Trump" list, and I'm not sure they know what a celebrity is....

Interesting data point on PA

Edit: Clinton just did a Press Conference.
Unless the minorities who've moved in are significantly less Democratic than average, that doesn't bode well for Trump's chances there. In fact that doesn't seem to suggest a state that's getting redder at anymore than such a snail's crawl that it won't matter practically speaking for at least a couple of decades.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

But they are supposed to spend that much on their own defense, not pay it directly to the US correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom