• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Lots of liberals are mad that plagiarism is getting 1000x the attention of the fact tonight was basically a Klan rally, but Trump's campaign being a public joke probably matters more to undecided voters than the fact that Trump is a white supremacist.

I mean, it's pretty impossible to have watched TV in the last year and not know that Trump is a white nationalist. If you're still an undecided voter, you understand that Trump is a white nationalist already but you may not know that Trump is a joke yet.

I do basically think this is somewhat true. Trump can be offensive. He can be sociopathic. He can be dishonest. None of this stuff hurts his particular appeal.

But it is actually kind of deflating to his base for him to be a national joke. Winners don't get mocked.

hawk2025

Lots of liberals are mad that plagiarism is getting 1000x the attention of the fact tonight was basically a Klan rally, but Trump's campaign being a public joke probably matters more to undecided voters than the fact that Trump is a white supremacist.

I mean, it's pretty impossible to have watched TV in the last year and not know that Trump is a white nationalist. If you're still an undecided voter, you understand that Trump is a white nationalist already but you may not know that Trump is a joke yet.

Yes, I agree completely.

They doubled down on nearly everything terrible today, but -- it was just a double down.

This is new, sexy, and kills the one humanizing moment of the whole day that was not dominated by fear mongering.

Importantly, it's not just about Trump being all of those terrible things. It's about the Trump camp being incompetent regarding the people they are demonizing.

itschris

Some good Melania/RNC tweets:

Chelsea Peretti
‏@chelseaperetti

Melania really sounded like a first lady! A specific, current one

Rebecca Schoenkopf
‏@commiegirl1

if this becomes THE story of the night, instead of the INSANE DISTURBING UNLEASHED PSYCHOSIS, we're all the problem. (it's a good story tho)

Donny Ferguson
‏@DonnyFerguson

First night of the "Law And Order"-themed convention:
* Chairman ignored Rules, fled podium
* Speech on honesty turned out to be stolen

skullsinthestars
‏@drskyskull

Today's RNC theme was "War." Tomorrow is "Famine," Wednesday is "Plague," and Thursday is, of course, "Death."

David Simon
‏@AoDespair

Rhetoric that works to marry human grief to fear and hate is the ugliest political alchemy. To deliver it well, you must be entirely vile.

hawk2025

From the OT thread:

Smooth Kobra ‏@smoothkobra 23m23 minutes ago
Remember earlier today when @SteveKingIA said Blacks didn't contribute to society? If we don't contribute then why steal our speeches?

DAMN

Edit: Damn, powerful words by David Simon.

So today.....

We had a floor fight over the rules.
Two state delegations walked out.
They called for the Democratic nominee to be in prison.
A woman literally accused Hillary of murder.
They had to literally pick up Bob Dole.
They spent 29 minutes doing a play by play of Benghazi.
No one mentioned the Vice President candidate who was sitting right fucking there.
Trump entered like a fucking tool.
And to top it off, she stole her speech from Michelle "Whitey Tape" Obama.

And it's day one.

Holmes

"It is not history which uses men as a means of achieving - as if it were an individual person - its own ends. History is nothing but the activity of men in pursuit of their ends." - Melania Trump

Wilsongt

From the OT thread:

Smooth Kobra ‏@smoothkobra 23m23 minutes ago
Remember earlier today when @SteveKingIA said Blacks didn't contribute to society? If we don't contribute then why steal our speeches?

DAMN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tumblr_lvl5tyId4c1qegw8v.gif

Geg

As of a few minutes ago, she claimed she wrote it herself. The campaign confirmed that earlier. It's going to be on the Today Show.lol

Wait wait she's still claiming she wrote it? As in, this is a new statement that came out after all this happened?

edit: O-oh... uh... ????

hawk2025

"included fragments that reflected her own thinking" is the softest way they can admit that it lifted part of Obama's speech, I think.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is step one of the trump playbook. Deflect blame onto others. Step two is to clam you never tried to take credit for it in the first place. Step three is repeat step two forever, even in the face of hard evidence.

pigeon

Banned
Okay.

So the statement is literally

A) Melania lied about writing the speech herself
B) the speech was plagiarized
C) seems fine to me

Is that right? That seems right.

Edit: I missed

D) One of Melania's life inspirations is Michelle Obama

Why is this so difficult? Jump on the fucking grenade, fire somebody, and put it behind you
Because that requires a trait Trump lacks. He cannot let anything go.

Whoever approved that release is fucking stupid, because you've managed to make the whole thing even more confusing.

sphagnum

Banned
It's hilarious to see /pol/ freak out over this and try to rationalize it away. "Of course she can't write, she's not even white, she's eastern European!"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Okay.

C) seems fine to me

Steal speech
???
Profit

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Okay.

C) seems fine to me

Also the statement seems to just quote somebody else speaking in its entirety.

Wilsongt

This is step one of the trump playbook. Deflect blame onto others. Step two is to clam you never tried to take credit for it in the first place. Step three is repeat step two forever, even in the face of hard evidence.

And remember to always say "you're welcome" so someone says " thank you"

Sianos

Okay.

C) seems fine to me

"Scientists Baffled By Campaign's Incredible Ability To Fuck Everything Up"

misc-fEEd.png
misc-fEEd.png
misc-fEEd.png
misc-fEEd.png

pigeon

Banned
Barro on Twitter also pointing out that once again this speaks to character and competence.

Trump can't even hire a speechwriter that doesn't deliberately rickroll him, plagiarize a big chunk and ruin his wife's big speech. But hiring good people is literally the thing he says he will do in order to fix America.

Also it is basically worse to lie about dumb irrelevant stuff than it is to lie about serious things. Anybody can be pressured by the exigency of circumstances into claiming that they didn't kill Vince Foster. Most people wouldn't bother lying about whether they wrote their speech in order to steal credit from their own employees. That reflects a more fundamental dishonesty.

Woah what I miss? Plagiarism? How bad was it, we talking wholesale copying or just so similar it can't be coincidental?

22 of 26 consecutive words are the same. It would be blatant in any academic setting, and is pretty obvious to anyone that sees them side-by-side.

Preview of Donald Trump's speech: "I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation."

HylianTom

Banned
I want this to be the first modern convention where voters take a look at a candidate/party and say, "ehhh.. no thanks" - resulting in the opponent gaining a poll bounce.

22 of 26 consecutive words are the same. It would be blatant in any academic setting, and is pretty obvious to anyone that sees them side-by-side.

What's bizarre to me is that it's such a universal idea that should take no effort to write, "My parents taught me to work hard, respect others, and do what's right", and yet they still felt the need to copy passages without any editing/rewording. How lazy can you get?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So today.....

We had a floor fight over the rules.
Two state delegations walked out.
They called for the Democratic nominee to be in prison.
A woman literally accused Hillary of murder.
They had to literally pick up Bob Dole.
They spent 29 minutes doing a play by play of Benghazi.
No one mentioned the Vice President candidate who was sitting right fucking there.
Trump entered like a fucking tool.
And to top it off, she stole her speech from Michelle "Whitey Tape" Obama.

And it's day one.

and you missed the actual literal car crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom