• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stavridis is fucking obsessed with "cyber" dear god.

edit: I mean, Andrew Jackson committed genocide to expand slavery and then caused a massive recession so idk.

Maengun1

I don't really care who Hill picks all that much tbh. I'd rather a flashier person than Kaine or Vilsack, but at the same time we know that picking them signals how confident the campaign is and I trust that they know more than me.

I kinda feel bad for Vilsack because I think the biggest single hit against him is his name. It's just...a terrible name. I feel dirty saying it.

royalan

We've had racist run the country. Trump would be no different than LBJ, FDR, Jackson, etc We'll survive.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be a response to. You realize a lot of people haven't, right? A lot of people have ended worse off, or dead, due to the policies those racists put in place and the toxic values they defended. And this says nothing of not just the racism, but the literal rage this convention seems to be specfically formulated to stir up and amplify.

"We'll survive" in the sense that humanity itself will continue on, yeah. If that's what you meant.

We've had racist run the country. Trump would be no different than LBJ, FDR, Jackson, etc We'll survive.

I wouldn't even say LBJ belonged with the other 2. FDR imprisoned thousands of Japanese American's, and Jackson basically spearheaded a genocide. At worst, LBJ said some very uncouth things while legislating. Yea, he wasn't perfect, but he also helped get the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act written into law.

digdug2k

Holy shit. If you had told me as a teenager in the 90's that I lived in a time where people would be like "Yeah, he's racist. Not a big deal." I would have been shocked. Heck, if you would have told me that a week ago I would have been. But that's twice today I've heard people say it.

Like it wasn't long ago that the GOP would be up in arms if you said they were racist in their hatred of Obama. As if you were just deflecting a genuinely great argument they had. Suddenly they're all like "Yeah, we've got lots of racists in the party. Its fine."

mo60

Yeah I am legitimately beginning to be worried about the fabric of the union. The code of conduct and the unwritten rules that have been in place for so long. The tone of tonight was flat out dangerous.
The tone on monday night was pretty dangerous also.Tonight was amped up a bit compared to monday.

LBJ passed the CRA, FDR nominated Hugo Black, and Andrew Jackson committed genocide and killed a national bank because reasons.

So I guess Trump fits in with Jackson as far as anti-intellectual, hateful stupidity goes, but why you mention him along with LBJ and FDR, I don't know. Hell, Abraham Lincoln was racist too, but key elements of his policy were progressive. Same for LBJ and FDR. Does Trump have any such redeeming policy proposals?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LBJ passed the CRA, FDR nominated Hugo Black, and Andrew Jackson committed genocide and killed a national bank because reasons.

So I guess Trump fits in with Jackson as far as anti-intellectual, hateful stupidity goes, but why you mention him along with LBJ and FDR, I don't know. Hell, Abraham Lincoln was racist too, but key elements of his policy were progressive. Same for LBJ and FDR. Does Trump have any such redeeming policy proposals?

The whole internment camp thing on FDR's part was a pretty big blemish, to be fair.

Speaking of which, it's pretty crazy thinking that we actually did that around the same time that both Hitler and Stalin had their own camps as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The question is does Trump have any policy proposals?

Oh yeah, internment is the big mark on FDR's tenure as POTUS, and Korematsu is a bottom-five SCOTUS decision of all-time as far as my non-expertise is concerned, but for a rich dude in the 1930s and 40s, FDR had some pretty progressive policies and made a couple of excellent SCOTUS appointments.

pigeon

Banned

I'm not sure why you decided to troll but this is clearly dumb.

Those guys are not comparable to Trump in sheer contempt for law, society, and civil rights.

mo60

I checked out of day 2 of the RNC. How did it go and did anything interesting happen?

They mostly focused on benghazi and talking about how evil Hilary is and how she deserved to go to jail and not be president of the USA. Barely any of the speakers focused on the economy. Theree were some positive speeches like tiffany trump's speech throughout the night despite the heavy focus by the majority of the speakers on trying to sell the narrative that hilary is evil and does not deserve to be president and benghazi.

Maledict

I hope to god the DNC does not end up a trump bash fest either, but the good thing it should focus on the issues a lot which will prevent them like mentioning trump like crazy. I think democrats now know that they should not obsessively talk about trump at their convention like the republicans are obsessively talking about Hilary at their convention after the first two days of the RNC.

I'm not convinced by this to be honest. My memory may be failing but I'm fairly sure this was the tactic the democrats used in 2004 and it didn't work well at all. Their convention was mostly focused on positives, the republican convention was mostly focused on negatives. The republicans definitely came off better.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm not convinced by this to be honest. My memory may be failing but I'm fairly sure this was the tactic the democrats used in 2004 and it didn't work well at all. Their convention was mostly focused on positives, the republican convention was mostly focused on negatives. The republicans definitely came off better.

I think the best tactic may be something to the effect of:

"Trump is a steaming pile of Donkey shit, our plan however is to, so and so"

Something to that effect, draw a strong direct contrast, not a "be positive and ignore the orange elephant in the room" tactic.

They hate Hillary. A lot. So much so that apparently they forgot Tuesday was supposed to be about jobs

Don't forget Chris Christie re-enacting The Crucible on the RNC floor and Trump's children inability to convey empathy or tell a single endearing story about him (Tiffany came close but I just didn't believe it).

pigeon

Banned

I think you'll definitely get both, but conventions are about attracting marginally attached voters and motivating them. Policies and positivity do that.

I don't think there is that much to say about Trump that people don't already know. If you are not motivated by existential fear already I'm not sure you can get there in one convention.

mo60

There will definitely be some speakers at the DNC attacking trump but at the same time a lot of time will be spent building up hilary and showing people why she deserves to get the presidency and why her policies will help Americans and maybe a bit on why trump's policies won't help Americans and less of what the republicans are doing at their convention.

Maledict

I think you'll definitely get both, but conventions are about attracting marginally attached voters and motivating them. Policies and positivity do that.

I don't think there is that much to say about Trump that people don't already know. If you are not motivated by existential fear already I'm not sure you can get there in one convention.

I'd say the opposite tbh. Conventions are a tool for rallying the base. Other than possibly the nominees speech, people who aren't already strongly supporting a party aren't going to be paying much attention. You get a few headlines or choice clips but that's about it really.

pigeon

Banned
I'd say the opposite tbh. Conventions are a tool for rallying the base. Other than possibly the nominees speech, people who aren't already strongly supporting a party aren't going to be paying much attention. You get a few headlines or choice clips but that's about it really.

Historically that just isn't true. The reason polls are more predictive after the convention is that the convention is the first time a lot of voters actually start paying attention to the election. That's why the ratings are so high, and that's why conventions are designed the way they are.

The goal of the convention is to explain to everybody who isn't sure why they should vote for Hills exactly why.

watershed

Banned
Historically that just isn't true. The reason polls are more predictive after the convention is that the convention is the first time a lot of voters actually start paying attention to the election. That's why the ratings are so high, and that's why conventions are designed the way they are.

The goal of the convention is to explain to everybody who isn't sure why they should vote for Hills exactly why.

Democrats will 3 things: Give a full pitch for Hillary, attack Trump, and act like the grown up, big tent party compared to the GOP's full on petty hate machine. I think prime time speakers in particular will take the high road with a hopeful vision of the US's future.

Sibylus

Banned
Pictured: Christie getting burned by a red-hot crucible after his mock trial.

Fantastic play. One of my personal favorites.

"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"

Wow.

Greg Leipsic
‏@GregLeipsic
According to @ananavarro - of the 2472 Republican delegates, 18 of them are African American. Lowest number in 100 years.

AHAHAHA a fake Donald Trump account made the convention screen:

CnwkhfNUkAArZhp.jpg

Josh Barro ‏@jbarro 4h4 hours ago Lakewood, OH
"Unless the plan is to make all Republicans prison guards to lock up Democrats, I didn't see a jobs plan tonight." -- @amandacarpenter
LOL summary of the 2nd day.

Some sanity in the GOP:

Jeff FlakeVerified account
‏@JeffFlake
.@HillaryClinton now belongs in prison? C'mon. We can make the case that she shouldn't be elected without jumping the shark.

Is Flake actually a decent Republican?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fantastic play. One of my personal favorites.

Here I fixed your post.

Melania Trump said:
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"

Embrace the SACK.

Jonathan Alter ‏@jonathanalter 5h5 hours ago
Va. Republicans tell me Hillary far ahead there, which might mean Hillary picks Ag Secry Vilsack instead of Kaine to win deadlocked Iowa.

Going by his Wikipedia, he seems to be what you would expect in a "normal" Republican. Against Big Government, pro-life, pro-war, ok on other social issues.

Seems to be more reasonable than most Republicans.
Or he's more concerned about optics.

I'll continue to say Hillary will win Virginia, and it won't be close. The DC suburbs are going to be blowout

I'm shocked how Morning Joe is still all in on the Melania plagiarism story

Crocodile

Last Month(s): "Warren needs to stay in the Senate! Picking her for VP would be a mistake!"
Now: :If Hilary doesn't pick Warren she's an idiot!"

Oh (most of) PoliGaf, you are a delight :p

I'll continue to say Hillary will win Virginia, and it won't be close. The DC suburbs are going to be blowout

I'm shocked how Morning Joe is still all in on the Melania plagiarism story

I mean if the Trump camp was competent, they could have crushed this story yesterday with an apology, a reasonable/believable excuse and maybe a firing. They chose not to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Last Month(s): "Warren needs to stay in the Senate! Picking her for VP would be a mistake!"
Now: :If Hilary doesn't pick Warren she's an idiot!"

Oh (most of) PoliGaf, you are a delight :p

She has always been the right choice to me. She takes Trump's attention because he is obsessed with her, gives a historical and powerful two-woman ticket, and is really, really good at her job.

Will be interesting to see how the extreme focus on Hillary goes in the convention.

Generally it wouldn't with but Hillary also has high unfavorable numbers so whether or is emphasizing people's views about her or turning then off is an unknown.

Like if they tried the same thing with Obama it would bomb so hard.

She has always been the right choice to me. She takes Trump's attention because he is obsessed with her, gives a historical and powerful two-woman ticket, and is really, really good at her job.

She doesn't have to be VP to have her attack Trump.

Warren as VP essentially comes down to exciting the base and increasing turnout and support. Polls suggest she really doesn't bring that support.

Diablos

Meh. The RNC had a good night.

It's disgusting because despite the theme of the night they barely talked about jobs. All they did was foam at the mouth over how much they hate Hillary, it was disgusting.

I really hope Democrats can have a good convention and not do a repeat of 2004 in terms of their messaging and strategy.

I wonder how big of a bump Trump will get from the RNC?

Farmboy

Have any of you played around with the paths-to-victory tool on the NYT site? That should stop all diablosing.

If Hillary wins Florida (and I honestly don't see how she doesn't), Trump's only path is sweeping Pa., Iowa, Ohio, Nevada, N. Carolina, Va., New Hampshire, Arizona and Georgia. Lose any one (and is she really going to lose Pa. or Nevada?) and it's over.

Win Pa. and Va.? It's over for Trump, and yet if he wins them both, Hillary still has 203 paths left.

Pa. and Ohio? Done. Well, I guess we know all this... But seeing it integrated in one handy tool really drives home the point.

I also like their aggregrate of aggregates. 538 is so pessimistic!

Meh. The RNC had a good night.

It's disgusting because despite the theme of the night they barely talked about jobs. All they did was foam at the mouth over how much they hate Hillary, it was disgusting.

I really hope Democrats can have a good convention and not do a repeat of 2004 in terms of their messaging and strategy.

I wonder how big of a bump Trump will get from the RNC?

After the plagiarized speech, nobody really cares about the convention anymore beyond that. It's dominated the news cycle completely and is all over social media, still, even today.

He won't get a bump. Romney didn't.

If anything, streaming it on Twitch might swing some undecided Bernie voters to decide to vote Hillary. Because it's showing just how ridiculous the idea that Hillary is a closet Republican, or a Conservative, or any of that garbage, is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom