• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw donuts.

Dunkin Donuts' Egg n Cheese Croissant is breakfast of kings.

resized_99265-photo_4-16125_t728.JPG

I watched the Chronicles of Nadiya last night. It's a new English TV show about a popular contestant from a baking show. She's a muslim, yet still won over the hearts and minds of the British people by just being genuinely humble and human and identifiable no matter her religion. She was a person first. She wasn't just a hijab and a bunch of stereotypes.

So this year, when that baking show came back the BBC launched a new series at the same time, where Nadiya travels to the country of her parents, Bangladesh, and travels around it, to learn more about her roots. In the first episode she visits her families village and the neighboring city (the only parts of Bangladesh she has previously been to).

I mention this in the context of poligaf, because America needs something just like Nadiya and this TV show. It isn't preachy, but it's educational as shit about the differences and similarities of such cultures. She talks about being an immigrant not really sure if she's British or Bangladeshi. She talks about the importance of her religion.

But more than anything, this all just feels *normal*. As different as that culture is, it was contextualized in way that really conveyed how normal it was.

Plus she cooked a bunch of delicious looking food, which is kind of her thing.

France also needs to watch this show or have something like it.

You cannot *other* Nadiya. You just can't. She is us.

I feel strongly about muslims because I went to school with them. I've shared apartments with them. I've lived in a community that had more muslims than christians. The lies that proliferate about them here and in places like France anger me immensely. The ban on so called burkinis is some of the biggest bullshit I have ever seen.

If you can't see the individual underneath the head scarf, then you have a fucking problem.

Donald Trump needs to lose. He needs to be defeated. Muslims need to be seen and treated the same as anybody else. Because they fucking are.

Ehem. Rant over.

Was she on Great British Bake Off? I think her season is on PBS right now (NO SPOILERS). She's amazing.

Fuchsdh

I'll just be over here with my Sausage McMuffin with Egg, waiting for you guys to get back to Diablosing about summat' or another.

It's still really bizarre to think we're nearly two months away from this all being over. Feels like my entire life has been during the 2016 election season.

This is a great exchange between Rachel Maddow and Kellyanne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p34ho9bwnoQ

Why are people acting like Conway is super-competent or somehow dangerous? She visibly has no answer for the "ban Muslims" statement from December 7th, and then when asked to clarify it and about what Trump really means, she starts rambling about Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. Is it because she's blonde and has a nice voice? I mean, if we're comparing her to Katrina Pierson, she's a big upgrade, but a banana-and-mayonnaise sandwich as a spox would also be a big upgrade over Katrina Pierson.

EDIT: I love the Great British Bake Off so much. The PBS App on Roku is super-inconsistent about adding new shows, though. :( I haven't seen the Muslim woman you're talking about.

studyguy

Screw donuts.

Dunkin Donuts' Egg n Cheese Croissant is breakfast of kings.

resized_99265-photo_4-16125_t728.JPG

Where's the ham.

Also I ran out the door today and thought to myself I can save time making a shake by just pouring my protein powder in the oatmeal I take to work. Fast forward to now and I feel like I'm eating some mealy struggle oatmeal that tastes like shit. Gotta wake up earlier.

HylianTom

Banned
Too late for the MN GOP to call a state convention to name alternative electors.

Amazing. This cycle just keeps delivering.

One of my favorite reactions was at FreeRepublic.. It was basically, "who cares? We're not going to win MN anyway."

I watched the Chronicles of Nadiya last night. It's a new English TV show about a popular contestant from a baking show. She's a muslim, yet still won over the hearts and minds of the British people by just being genuinely humble and human and identifiable no matter her religion. She was a person first. She wasn't just a hijab and a bunch of stereotypes.

So this year, when that baking show came back the BBC launched a new series at the same time, where Nadiya travels to the country of her parents, Bangladesh, and travels around it, to learn more about her roots. In the first episode she visits her families village and the neighboring city (the only parts of Bangladesh she has previously been to).

I mention this in the context of poligaf, because America needs something just like Nadiya and this TV show. It isn't preachy, but it's educational as shit about the differences and similarities of such cultures. She talks about being an immigrant not really sure if she's British or Bangladeshi. She talks about the importance of her religion.

But more than anything, this all just feels *normal*. As different as that culture is, it was contextualized in way that really conveyed how normal it was.

Plus she cooked a bunch of delicious looking food, which is kind of her thing.

France also needs to watch this show or have something like it.

You cannot *other* Nadiya. You just can't. She is us.

I feel strongly about muslims because I went to school with them. I've shared apartments with them. I've lived in a community that had more muslims than christians. The lies that proliferate about them here and in places like France anger me immensely. The ban on so called burkinis is some of the biggest bullshit I have ever seen.

If you can't see the individual underneath the head scarf, then you have a fucking problem.

Donald Trump needs to lose. He needs to be defeated. Muslims need to be seen and treated the same as anybody else. Because they fucking are.

Ehem. Rant over.
She's awesome. A complete repudiation of New Atheists' fears about horrible un-integrated muslims and a garlic to the alt right vampires. Speaking of which I'm surprised they havent harassed her or chased her out of twitter.

thebloo

Two hot takes today.

Hot take 1: the Clinton Foundation stuff proves the effectiveness of corruption in getting marginal or actively bad actors to help achieve actually good policy goals by promising them lagniappe. In this way it's very much like how banning earmarks made Congress much less effective by making it harder to logroll difficult bills. Somebody needs to stand up and make the affirmative case for bribery as a tool for good.

Hot take 2: Both cheese on pie and egg on donut are wrong for me, but they're wrong within normal parameters. Neither is particularly weird in the context of American cuisine, such as it is. People are just memeing adam's food choices.

1: Agreed. In a country where spending money is considered "free speech" it feels extra weird to start screaming corruption.
2: Eat whatever the fuck you want. If you look at cuisine around the world, there are no rules. And that's a good thing.

3: You're a way better poster when not angry.

I dont understand. Why do you people want to eat meat at 7 in the morning? Breakfast should be meatless. Cereal, oatmeal, eggs, dairy and bread is acceptable. Meat isnt.

Uhhhh...no. This is categorically wrong.

Also, anyone eating at Dunkin Donuts has already lost. That shit is gross. All of it, not just the terrible donut-based breakfast fast food that someone posted an image of. Go get a real donut, people.

Meta question: How come my text isn't green when people quote me anymore? MobileGAF 100% of the time, so I'm not sure if it's a desktop problem too.

Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's not. The inconsistency is really ruining my quality of life. Kind of hard to justify waking up every morning now knowing my quoted posts aren't green. :/
Hmm, what theme are you using? I'm using dark theme and don't have this problem on DesktopGAF at all, as far as I've noticed.

Slayven

Yup, they're both conservatives.

Throw that on a bagel instead and it's the food of the gods.

Then why does Tara look liked she just want to go off one good time everytime Kayleigh opens her mouth?

I would not be oppose to that, cause some needs to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Then why does Tara look liked she just want to go off one good time everytime Kayleigh opens her mouth?

Same reason Ana Navarro beats the shit out of Kayleigh every time they're on screen together I suppose.

pigeon

Banned
man you guys are making my daily struggle breakfast of a quest bar and monster white look bad :/

I eat a protein bar for breakfast literally every day except Sunday. The whole breakfast discussion seems pretty academic to me, like who even does that. But it's fine, PoliGAF is for talking about policies, not necessarily actual practices.

Zona

Yup, they're both conservatives.

Throw that on a bagel instead and it's the food of the gods.

Kaiser rolls for life, none of you and your barbaric City ways.

Plenty of liberals who I wish would STFU even through I mostly agree with them. You don't want people reflecting badly on the cause as a whole.

Too late for the MN GOP to call a state convention to name alternative electors.

Amazing. This cycle just keeps delivering.

One of my favorite reactions was at FreeRepublic.. It was basically, "who cares? We're not going to win MN anyway."
Lol idiots. They have plenty to lose downballot. 2 competitive GOP-held Congressional seats (as well as three with Dem incumbents that are on the edge of competitiveness) as well as a State House majority.

It's kind of annoying that Clinton's lead generally goes down a few in 4way polling like its 10 in the Q poll 2way but 7 points in the 4way, but I wonder if that's just a symptom of being the frontrunner than anything else.

While both candidates have negative scores on honesty, this is one area where Trump outscores Clinton. American likely voters say 53 - 42 percent that Trump is not honest. By a huge 66 - 29 percent margin, voters say Clinton is not honest.

Honestly, this is just sexism, mmkay. Trump is the least honest politician in American history.

https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2375

Voters also say 59 - 36 percent "the way Donald Trump talks appeals to bigotry."

Even in the eye of the pivot!

But voters say 66 - 33 percent that Clinton is qualified to be president. Trump is not qualified, voters say 58 - 40 percent. Clinton leads on other measures, as likely voters say:

58 - 40 that she has good leadership skills, compared to negative 46 - 52 for Trump;

71 - 29 percent that Clinton has the right kind of experience to be president, compared to a negative 32 - 65 percent for Trump;

87 - 12 percent that she is intelligent, compared to 67 - 30 percent for him;

51 - 47 percent that she cares about average Americans, compared to a negative 41 - 57 percent for Trump.

American likely voters say 60 - 37 percent that Clinton believes she does not have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

And this, fam, is why the attacks on the Clinton foundation are a big nothing burger to anyone. People already think she's on the take, and they're voting for her anyway. It's not new information to low information voters.

Trump should release his tax returns publicly, voters say 74 - 21 percent, including 62 - 31 percent among Republicans.

Voters also say 59 - 36 percent "the way Donald Trump talks appeals to bigotry."

ohhhhh boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom