• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

Think Johnson can crack 3%?

Depends on how hard the Mormons abandon Trump. I'm trying to see how many Mormon voters there are in the US, but I can't find it

I don't know if anybody here is following the Ailes story but the rabbit hole of shame keeps getting deeper.

At this point he's:

* Offered huge numbers of women preferential treatment for sex
* Taken sexual videos of women to use to blackmail them into long-term coercive sexual relationships
* Specifically directed Fox journalists to promote the invasion of Iraq
* Spent Fox News money on sexual harassment settlements to cover up his behavior
* Hired political consultants to run PR campaigns against his personal enemies using Fox's budget
* Hired private detectives and oppo researchers to target and smear his enemies, again using Fox money

Basically all of the crazy things left-wing people thought about Fox were more or less true.

The worst part of having such a corrupt right wing in America is that, if Hillary gets elected, Trump and Manafort get busted for working with Putin and Roger Ailes goes to jail for being basically Kingpin with a news network, it will look just like a long-term political crony coming to power and using accusations of espionage and treason to shut down all her potential enemies. EXCEPT THEY REALLY WERE EVIL

I actually am not surprised by any except the bolded. He might actually end up in jail for that

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Depends on how hard the Mormons abandon Trump. I'm trying to see how many Mormon voters there are in the US, but I can't find it

I actually am not surprised by any except the bolded. He might actually end up in jail for that

I'm pretty sure the bold is blackmail...

ampere

I filled in the Electoral prediction map, went pretty ambitious. Georgia going blue!

CNN poll, 2012
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/10/01/rel11a.pdf

Stein 3% ( actual result: 0.36% )

Yup, this is likely a map of the reality this year too. Johnson might have a shockingly high performance because of Trump being a once-in-a-lifetime bad candidate, but they are polling way above what people will actually vote

I'm pretty sure the bold is blackmail...

Yeah it's just a matter of getting good evidence to convict

I bought some apple wood smoked cheese to support the good people of Wisconsin. My god is it delicious. Curse you Scott Walker!

One of the things I miss about living in Wisconsin is being able to go to a farmers market every weekend and get some absolutely incredible cheese. Whenever we find ourselves up there we make sure to stock up on our favorites, like 7 year aged cheddar.

ampere

Y'all talked about this?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/politics/john-kasich-donald-trump-election-2016/index.html

Kasich is straight up confirming the VP offer rumors, lol

Trump is a mess

Trump does not want to do any work

If he were president, he'd want to be:

giphy.gif

And have some nerds do all the policy stuff

Kusagari

Why is Nevada a risk though? Obama won it comfortably both times and it has a high Hispanic pop.

Confused why it seems in danger this year while CO is a lock.

hawk2025

Why is Nevada a risk though? Obama won it comfortably both times and it has a high Hispanic pop.

There was a post a couple of pages back comparing NV polling with election results for Obama.

It seems like NV polling is tricky exactly because of the high Hispanic population.

And all that fraud

Bowdz

Agreed.

Also, Mook was Clinton's Nevada primary chair in 08 and organized the shit out of it. He pulled off a crucial win against Bernie again this year. It is probably the most important personal win for him and I strongly doubt Trump will be able to top him organizational prowess there.

pigeon

Banned

I literally just posted about this two pages ago!

Romney's voters in Colorado were white-collar whites. Trump is losing those, so he's no longer competitive in Colorado.

Romney's voters in Nevada were blue-collar whites. Trump has kept all of those, so Nevada looks the same as 2012.

I don't think it's IN DANGER, as the RCP link showed, it looks like 2012 and Obama won that by 6. But it isn't moving towards Hillary as quickly as states with higher percentages of white-collar whites.

Wilsongt

I'm going to keep my hype in check. You never know when Hillary is going to screw up and allow Trump to swoop in. Or Trump drops out and then they replace it with someone competent and everyone falls back behind that individual again.

She's still a warhawk and doesn't understand technology.

augh. This election has gone on for WAY TOO FUCKING LONG. Just end it already!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mean normal views, I mean run someone that doesn't look and or sound insane. When Vermin Supreme is more average than you care to admit there's a problem. The third-parties that do win local elections do so because they manage to run people who can not only string more than one sentence together without mentioning chem-trails but also because they focus on local issues. You win local elections by focusing on the issues that affect the residents that live in the district you're running in, not by going on about the NSA when there's a drought.

Right, but if we're talking small-scale local elections, like to your local municipal government, there's not really any room for ideology to come into the solutions. The amount of money you get is usually pre-determined, large parts of your spending are usually pre-determined, and the role is largely administrative. Local elections are also often extremely noncompetitive because the districts are very small and therefore very likely to be homogenous. If you're the sort of committed ideologue who felt they had to exit the two-party system, you're not going to sign up to the sort of position that then gives you absolutely no ability or likelihood to exercise your ideology.

Honestly, I don't think the Libertarians are any better at this than the Greens, despite the claims in this thread. Most libertarians are, to normal people, weird as fuck. The Libertarians are lucky in that they have a mainstream candidate who was de facto forced out of his own party but wanted to continue in politics - sort of the equivalent of Bernie Sanders actually have dropped out of the Democrats to join the Greens as a protest against how the Democratic Party treated him/after being thrown out of the Democrats in an alternate timeline. Then you end up with someone who has to have faced at least some of the political drudgery before ending up in the party that almost by definition drives people who could do it well away. Without Johnson, the Libertarians would sink (even further) into mediocrity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right, but if we're talking small-scale local elections, like to your local municipal government, there's not really any room for ideology to come into the solutions. The amount of money you get is usually pre-determined, large parts of your spending are usually pre-determined, and the role is largely administrative. Local elections are also often extremely noncompetitive because the districts are very small and therefore very likely to be homogenous. If you're the sort of committed ideologue who felt they had to exit the two-party system, you're not going to sign up to the sort of position that then gives you absolutely no ability or likelihood to exercise your ideology.

Honestly, I don't think the Libertarians are any better at this than the Greens, despite the claims in this thread. Most libertarians are, to normal people, weird as fuck. The Libertarians are lucky in that they have a mainstream candidate who was de facto forced out of his own party but wanted to continue in politics - sort of the equivalent of Bernie Sanders actually have dropped out of the Democrats to join the Greens as a protest against how the Democratic Party treated him/after being thrown out of the Democrats in an alternate timeline. Then you end up with someone who has to have faced at least some of the political drudgery before ending up in the party that almost by definition drives people who could do it well away. Without Johnson, the Libertarians would sink (even further) into mediocrity.

I agree totally about the libertarians, without Johnson they'd get stuck with someone like Vermin Supreme. He's the only reason that party is getting the look it is this cycle.

I wouldn't discount local issues at the federal level either though. Ideology has it's place, but you still need to tailor your message to the community you're running in. A House candidate in Queens is going to run on a different platform than one in Staten Island, even if they're in the same party. People want someone who, to paraphrase Bill Clinton, feels their pain. It's about letting the voters know you care about what's going on with them, that's how you win elections.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG DIABLOSING EVERYWHERE

all these states she's winning
she will lose

because

ARGHHHH

Though really her emails answers are so bad!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree totally about the libertarians, without Johnson they'd get stuck with someone like Vermin Supreme. He's the only reason that party is getting the look it is this cycle.

I wouldn't discount local issues at the federal level either though. Ideology has it's place, but you still need to tailor your message to the community you're running in. A House candidate in Queens is going to run on a different platform than one in Staten Island, even if they're in the same party. People want someone who, to paraphrase Bill Clinton, feels their pain. It's about letting the voters know you care about what's going on with them, that's how you win elections.

I agree; but this is one of the reasons why small parties will never do well. Most people are willing to suck it in and vote for the two big parties regardless, because of the strategic consequences of not doing so. If I was in Florida, I would be fighting so damn hard for Clinton right now, and y'all know that generally I'm pretty apathetic about her. To end up in a small party, you therefore have to be really, really into whatever concerns you have that this big party doesn't have, and if they don't have it, it is probably a pretty small concern in whatever area you're running. What does a Green have to say about, I don't know, Staten Island's rubbish collection that is materially different to that of a Democrat?

Like, the Greens aren't terrible just because of misfortune giving them bad candidates. They're terrible because the US electoral system is designed in such a way that any third party is highly likely to be terrible (in fact such a way that all parties are likely to be pretty terrible, but that's another issue).

Mind you, if I was in a non-swing state I'd 100% vote Libertarian (presidential only, not local). Not because I like them, but because if they reached 5% and got federal funding, that would make it even harder for the Republicans to ever recover. By contrast voting Democrat in Texas or whatever is pointless.

Crocodile

A) Harambe memes stopped being funny like 0.5 seconds after they started

B) Who the fuck is Vermin Supreme? That legitimately sounds like the name of a Marvel supervillian.

C) Is there anyway we can get some legislation to make our election season not like 16+ months? It's fucking stupid the way they are. I dunno if my body can take (God willing) 12+ more of these election cycles.

benjipwns

Banned
Social Media Patterns Show Trump Is Looking at a Landslide Victory
Current polls show the race for President is much tighter than it really is. Ann Coulter warned us years ago in her best seller Slander that Democrats and the liberal media always use polls to manipulate and discourage conservatives from voting. Thanks to social media there is more and more evidence that the polls are way off and if things stay as they are, Trump will win in a landslide!

It’s evident Hillary has a hard time filling a Union Hall while Trump regularly turns people away from his stadium and arena venues.

Now this – Analysis from social media provides additional support that Trump is likely to win in a landslide.

So how bad is it?
Evidence from ‘The Truth Division’ shows that if you look at social media, Trump is killing Hillary!
Hillary is proving that she is a terrible candidate. No one likes her and no one trusts her. Based on turnouts at campaign events and on social media, if the election were today… Trump would likely win in a Landslide!

SPREAD THIS: Media RIGGING The Polls, Hiding New Evidence Proving Trump Is WINNING
Facebook

Trump: 10,174,358 Likes
Clinton: 5,385,959 Likes

Trump nearly doubles the amount of Likes than Clinton Now — some people follow Trump who don’t like him, so let’s look at some posts. Here’s the stats for his latest Facebook live stream:

Trump Live Stream Post — 21 hours ago: 135,000 likes, 18,167 shares, 1.5 million views
Clinton Live Stream Post — 25 hours ago: 11,000 likes, 0 shares, 321,000 views

Since Clinton has zero shares, here’s the next best original post I could find from Clinton, albeit it’s not a live stream post:

Clinton post — 30 hours ago: 22,000 Likes, 7241 Shares, 773,000 views

Any way you slice it, Trump is crushing Clinton on Facebook interaction. One quick note regarding Facebook — you’ll find that on almost half of Clinton FB posts, the top comments are from Trump supporters, whereas the the top comments on Trump’s page are hardcore supporters only.

Twitter

Trump: 10.6 million followers
Hillary: 8.1 million followers

Trump has 30% more Twitter followers — and they translate into real votes. A recent study confirmed that 70% of his followers are real supporters, and 90% of those real followers have a voting history.

Hillary’s “twitter army” is likely made up of dead voters and illegals.

Youtube Live Stream

Trump: Averages 30,000 live viewers per stream
Clinton: Averages 500 live viewers per stream

Trump has 5900% more live viewers than Clinton.

Instagram

Trump: 2.2 million followers
Clinton: 1.8 million followers

Trump has 22% more Instagram followers — which is impressive considering it’s a liberal cesspool consisting of college hipsters who can’t seem to take enough selfies.

Reddit

Trump: 197,696 subscribers
Hillary: 24,429 subscribers
Hillary for Prison: 55,228 subscribers

Hillary for Prison’s Reddit feed has more than double subscribers of Hillary’s reddit page, equating to Trump having 700% more Reddit subscribers.

Don’t listen to the lying media — the only legitimate attack they have left is Trump’s poll numbers. Social media proves the GOP nominee has strong foundation and a firm backing.

SHARE on Facebook and Twitter and let us know what you think of this proof showing Trump dominating social media!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Anyone want to bet that Trump will announce his own news network sometime in 2017, with Roger Alies and Sean Hannity on board?

If Murdoch's kids really do want to move FOX more toward the center like the rumors suggest then there would certainly be room for Trump to get such a thing off the ground.

A) Harambe memes stopped being funny like 0.5 seconds after they started

B) Who the fuck is Vermin Supreme? That legitimately sounds like the name of a Marvel supervillian.

C) Is there anyway we can get some legislation to make our election season not like 16+ months? It's fucking stupid the way they are. I dunno if my body can take (God willing) 12+ more of these election cycles.

1. Harambe jokes, as done in PoliGAF, are always going to be funny, because they make fun of the people who actually care about it.

2. This is Vermin Supreme:
vermin-supreme.jpg

(I'm not kidding)

3. I'm right there with you. There's no reason for this shit to go on this long. A year should be more than enough.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I cannot believe they're going right back to the "unskewed polling" stuff again. I mean, come on.

hawk2025

On the comments section of that second link, because I'm a masochist:

Mary Watson
PG Farnsworth
We have just completed our own poll since we cannot get factual information from the mainstream media!! We called 1000 homes in each of the 50 states and asked basic questions on the economy, terrorism, immigration and presidential pick.
Economy was the number one factor that Americans are concerned about and terrorism was number two.
Presidential pick was Trump by a large percentage.
Trump 33478 votes 67%
Clinton 9788 Votes 19%
Undecided or other 6739 votes 13%
My friends and I are all Graduate students from all walks of life we meet to discuss stuff. 13 people who like and have served in the Military. It took us most of two weeks to be sure our calls were to all people and not just one party or an other we called Americans.. our poll is by taking registered voter lists and we accumulated 33% repub, 33% dems and 34% ind.. our poll consisted of 1000 calls per state. all 50 states. 50,000 people are in this poll not the 100 like other polls.

lolol

Gruco

Banned
I cannot believe they're going right back to the "unskewed polling" stuff again. I mean, come on.
It's tough to live in an America where the people wanted the black guy to be president twice, and liked him enough to vote in the she-devil afterwards. Insane fantasy world must seem like a much better option.

Its just SO OBVIOUS that they're both terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom