• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyFish

Banned
I can't tell if this "short circuited" attack works. First, it's like purely nonsensical. She's not a...robot. I mean that is such an odd line of attack. It's on a well worn and vulnerable spot for her, though. So I wonder why he just doesn't keep calling her a liar instead of a robot.

He wants to try the "use their own words against them" tactic but the problem is her words aren't completely fucking terrifying and idiotic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Clinton has won and most discussion about the presidential race is very dull. Even the Senate is very probably going D, 2016 is really about the House and nobody's really talking about that.

You really think so (regarding her win)? It's very tentative to me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm just a diablos.

hawk2025

We don't disagree, I was using a fixed center definition in my question to knock on the idea that getting further from arbitrarily (in the grand scheme, the Comintern selected them for their own reasons) set extremes inherently makes things more pragmatic.

There's no reason to assume the "center" of the traditional spectrum is anymore pragmatic or less ideologically extreme than any other point on it. Even the extreme "far-left" and "far-right" poles.

See Jesse Walker's (and Hitchens) discussion of "the Paranoid Center" for example.

How do we know? She won't release the transcripts of her creation.

With a bimodal distribution, it's actually quite trivial to make a (fixed) center the most extreme position if the interval is compact :)

Anyways, yes, we agree.

Y2Kev

Nothing is certain until it is.

Yeah but some things are worth considering certain and not fretting about. I think my issue is just that I don't trust white people! This country would be a better place with more black women. That's what I've learned!

Yeah but some things are worth considering certain and not fretting about. I think my issue is just that I don't trust white people! This country would be a better place with more black women. That's what I've learned!

If there's one thing you can count on white people to do right, it's to look out for ourselves. Most think that Trump is a threat to their very way of life. That's enough to give me a lot of comfort.

NeoXChaos

MY SENATE RACE UPDATE

D Win:

Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana

These are pretty easy. Johnson and Kirk are getting slaughtered, and Bayh is Back. Yes, Bayh is sort of groan worthy, but he's going to win.

D Lean:

Pennsylvania
New Hampshire

This I find a bit surprising. I always considered Toomey to be a strong incumbent and McGinty to be a bit of a weak challenger. And yet, McGinty has led 3 of the past 4 polls here, making me feel as if she's opening up an edge.

In New Hampshire, Ayotte is just unlucky: Hassan is the second best politician in New Hampshire (outside of Jeanne Shaheen), and Trump will kill her at the top of the ticket. She doesn't have much of a chance, even if it stays close.

True Tossup:

Nevada

I don't think either Catherine Cortez Masto or Joe Heck want to be Senators, or really care about winning. Neither of them have good messaging or ads, or have any national presence. That CBS poll had 38/35 Heck over Masto, but like, 27% undecided. I think that goes to say that neither of these people are well known, and people will just vote for who they vote for at the top of the ticket.

R Lean:

Ohio
Florida
North Carolina
Missouri

Strickland is running a bad campaign. Ross is running a good campaign but in a redder state. Same with Kander, but in a much redder state than either Ohio or North Carolina. My guess is that all of these Republicans pull it off, though it really depends on what happens at the top of the ticket. It feels like there'd be a lot more Hillary/Portman and Hillary/Rubio voters than, say, Hillary/Burr voters. If Hillary can win NC (which I think she will), I bet Ross has a real shot of winning.

Rubio will win. Murphy was a mistake.

R:

Georgia

Even if Barksdale could keep it close, the runoff basically makes it moot, since he's not getting over 50% of the vote.

I think we should hold off on some like Rubio until September.

Gruco

Banned
You really think so (regarding her win)? It's very tentative to me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm just a diablos.
Trump is pretty much hard locked in the electoral college at this point. He needs to dramatically change the race in order to have a shot. Even then his ceiling seems to be either 269 or 265.

Also hard to see how the Dems don't pick up four Senate seats. It would be nice to see some of the tougher races tighten a bit. Still keeping fingers crossed for a 2008 style wave.

I think we should hold off on some like Rubio until September.
Agreed. Tammy Baldwin taught me to keep hope alive in situations like this.

Sibylus

Banned

Some things, yes. I don't know if I'd peg anything predicted on polling in that category though. Don't lose sleep over it but don't be complacent either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It would take some great confluence of bad debates/campaign/big or repeated little HRC scandals popping up for her to lose and that's with Trump somehow turning around his awful campaign.

pigeon

Banned

We're well past the point where a convention bounce would be collapsing and she's either stabilizing or expanding.

Also people aren't switching from Trump because he has a gaffe or two, they think he's crazy. It's hard to imagine them going back to him because he has one good debate (unlikely in any case).

However stay scared, donate more.

kirblar

It would take some great confluence of bad debates/campaign/big or repeated little HRC scandals popping up for her to lose and that's with Trump somehow turning around his awful campaign.
Trump's problem is simple: GOP voters are punishing the party for going to the extreme.

This is the one form of general election protest vote that works- you cannot pull your party to a further extreme in a general because they'll just write off your vote going forward. However, you CAN punish a party for going too far to the extreme, forcing them to moderate in future elections.

jbug617

Banned
Paul Ryan doesn't like the Alt-Right movement in the party
@costareports: One thing that came across strongly in convo w/ Ryan: He's disturbed by rise of "alt right," which he sees as a non-conservative, non-R bloc

Oops. Lean R. I ultimately expect, at this point, that McCain will win.

I'm hoping that McCain's irascible nature gets the best of him and he repudiates Trump just in time for the nutbars all over Maricopa County to pitch a fit and allow Kirkpatrick to eke out a win. It's possible. Trump apparently got his phone back and is bitching again, so I'm sure that he'll say something shitty about a member of his own party or a military member or the whole state of Arizona soon enough.

Paul Ryan doesn't like the Alt-Right movement in the party

I read parts of this interview and was surprised at how forward he was in saying that the Alt-Right is bigoted and not really conservative. I don't know if it's because he believes that the Alt-Right isn't really strong enough inside his own party to cause an ultimate schism or if he's finally prepping for an eventual takesies-backsies of his Trump endorsement or what, but it was striking.

Trump's problem is simple: GOP voters are punishing the party for going to the extreme.

This is the one form of general election protest vote that works- you cannot pull your party to a further extreme in a general because they'll just write off your vote going forward. However, you CAN punish a party for going too far to the extreme, forcing them to moderate in future elections.

Well, those moderate Republicans should start voting in their primaries if that's the case. The GOP primaries are what causes the crazies to make it to the big stage.

I'm hoping that McCain's irascible nature gets the best of him and he repudiates Trump just in time for the nutbars all over Maricopa County to pitch a fit and allow Kirkpatrick to eke out a win. It's possible. Trump apparently got his phone back and is bitching again, so I'm sure that he'll say something shitty about a member of his own party or a military member or the whole state of Arizona soon enough.
Yeah. I could easily see Kirkpatrick and Ross winning while Strickland loses.

kirblar

Well, those moderate Republicans should start voting in their primaries if that's the case. The GOP primaries are what causes the crazies to make it to the big stage.
This may be a consequence of the negative associations with the GOP label pushing so many moderate Rs to label themselves "independent" over the past few decades. They were getting pushed out and didn't even realize that was what was happening.

Part of me wants to vote against Patrick Leahy, but I haven't bothered seeing who is running against him and I don't think it's anything short of "Certainly D".

Y2Kev

Trump is pretty much hard locked in the electoral college at this point. He needs to dramatically change the race in order to have a shot. Even then his ceiling seems to be either 269 or 265.

Also hard to see how the Dems don't pick up four Senate seats. It would be nice to see some of the tougher races tighten a bit. Still keeping fingers crossed for a 2008 style wave.

Agreed. Tammy Baldwin taught me to keep hope alive in situations like this.

Ceiling of 269 is pretty bad! Lol.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wonder what the media does if we get to September, and especially October where it's obvious Trump's out. Do they fake polling to make it look close? Do they keep the narrative that it's close in order to keep interest?

Y2Kev

We're well past the point where a convention bounce would be collapsing and she's either stabilizing or expanding.

Also people aren't switching from Trump because he has a gaffe or two, they think he's crazy. It's hard to imagine them going back to him because he has one good debate (unlikely in any case).

Good point, will donate more.

I wonder what the media does if we get to September, and especially October where it's obvious Trump's out. Do they fake polling to make it look close? Do they keep the narrative that it's close in order to keep interest?

They'll do what they did in 2008 and say it's close.

and volunteer, especially if you're in a swing state (or even just a swing district. i'm looking at you, parts of socal-poligaf)

Y2Kev

Hillary: A Criminal for America™

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 31m31 minutes ago
Michael Morell, the lightweight former Acting Director of C.I.A., and a man who has made serious bad calls, is a total Clinton flunky!

+1 into the column "this is a PR stunt, he doesn't want to be president".

Oops. Lean R. I ultimately expect, at this point, that McCain will win.

Though if Cortez Masto, McGinty, Ross, Kirkpatrick, Judge, and Duckworth win, there'll be 25 women in the Senate (because we're losing Mikulski).

Yeah McCain will edge it by a small margin, you'll have Clinton crossovers that'll vote for McCain.

Maledict

We aren't really. Everyone said that you need to leave it two to three weeks after the conventions before you can see how the race lies. We're absolutely still in that time period,

watershed

Banned
Hillary will be scrutinized more and held to a higher standard (rightly so perhaps) than Trump through the rest of the election. Although I'm glad the press are now treating Trump as they should, he still gets a pass on so much of his bs maybe because he spews so much bs the media has to choose which to cover and which to pass on.

And somehow, someway, I'm sure the narrative will be a horse race down to the wire which is fine by me if it keeps people from getting complacent.

kirblar

We aren't really. Everyone said that you need to leave it two to three weeks after the conventions before you can see how the race lies. We're absolutely still in that time period,
We aren't out of it yet, but the mass GOP voter defections are real and unlikely to be persuaded back onto the Trump bus.

andthebeatgoeson

Ah, Democrat fundraising emails, making you regret you ever donated to Obama in '08
I was getting 8 emails a day, so I opted for the option in Hillary's email for 'less email'. They "blessed" me and only sent 4 a day. So i unsubscribed last night.

It "takes a few days" to go thru. I just wanted some of those sweet drinking glasses.

+1 into the column "this is a PR stunt, he doesn't want to be president".

Yeah McCain will edge it by a small margin, you'll have Clinton crossovers that'll vote for McCain.

Like, why does he do these things? Seriously. No one was talking about the former CIA director endorsing Hillary. Now, he brings it up during a slow news cycle when someone might actually pay attention?

What a fucking lunatic.

Like, why does he do these things? Seriously. No one was talking about the former CIA director endorsing Hillary. Now, he brings it up during a slow news cycle when someone might actually pay attention?

What a fucking lunatic.

xTiTnHXbRoaZ1B1Mo8.gif

Need forma to bait him.

pigeon

Banned

That's because there would normally still be a lift from the convention. But it would be in the process of deflating -- she'd be on a negative trendline, with about half her original bounce.

Currently she isn't trending downwards much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom