• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you guys ever expect Manchin to do anything progressive that isn't based on union interests or working class wages and benefits?

He's an authoritarian, racist, anti-environmentalist who cares about the working class and unions. He's pretty clearly defined by this point...
Because it requires picking up another Republican in order to shut down anything requiring a simple majority.

He might as well switch parties.

I think it's more likely that Trump is just doing a reality TV show thing

He should have brought more interesting candidates then.

I think even white evangelicals would fall asleep watching this. It's two white guys who are solidly but not extremely conservative and are fairly qualified and are 50 years old and have no personality. There are no stakes to this event tonight and that's terrible television as Trump should understand.

He should have brought more interesting candidates then.

I think even white evangelicals would fall asleep watching this. It's two white guys who are solidly but not extremely conservative and are fairly qualified and are 50 years old and have no personality. There are no stakes to this event tonight and that's terrible television as Trump should understand.

What about the swimsuit contest? Or the talent competition? So many possibilities!

What about the swimsuit contest? Or the talent competition? So many possibilities!

Then have Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and people like that as possible candidates in the Hell's Kitchen type thing of having a couple of qualified people to win the thing and then the rest being fuckups to make the competition up to that point entertaining.

He's put together a reality TV show with no stakes or personalities and that's unwatchable.

Sibylus

Banned
I want to know what's happening

The New Democrat MP that called for the emergency debate is bringing the fire, and she is calling Trump out and calling for Trudeau to honor his subtweet with concrete specific actions:
  • Raise the cap on privately-sponsored refugees for 2017 (1,000)
  • Suspend the Safe Third Country Agreement so that stranded refugees and travelers in the US can be allowed to come to Canada instead (on the basis that the US is no longer dealing in good faith as an equal, conscientious partner in immigration matters)
  • Fast-track immigration applicants that have been approved, are in the process, and of those who are stranded in US detention.

One Liberal MP weakly tried to get her to agree that the PM is doing enough.

A second asked what the NDP (New Democrat Party) wants to specifically do to opt out of the Safe Third Country Agreement. She responded with the specific article.

Leader of the NDP is now throwing his support in behind her, and also noting that his entire bench condemns the Muslim ban. He called it racist. He's now repeating the three demands of the MP.

Then have Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and people like that as possible candidates in the Hell's Kitchen type thing of having a couple of qualified people to win the thing and then the rest being fuckups to make the competition up to that point entertaining.

He's put together a reality TV show with no stakes or personalities and that's unwatchable.

Agreed. If he's going to do this reality TV show stuff he should go all in.

Soroc

Is he making the SCOTUS announcement live (like a speech/presentation) at 8 or is he just doing a tweet or something?

He's doing it Apprentice style....

Seriously, he's flown both candidates out so he has a winner and loser. He is obsessed with Reality TV

Sibylus

Banned
Mulcair (aforementioned NDP leader) calling for the government to condemn the Muslim ban. Criticizing the government for being tight-lipped and deciding inaction is the correct course of action until we interact with the Americans on the issue.

He's doing it Apprentice style....

Seriously, he's flown both candidates out so he has a winner and loser. He is obsessed with Reality TV

This type of stunt can't play well with WWC voters. He's going to do this big gala stunt thing and they're just going to be "so where are those jobs?"

Guy keeps doing us favors if we can just have legit elections in 2018 and 2020.

If there's any silver lining, I think young liberals got way too used to the more progressive presidential candidate winning. Hell I would say this drove at least 90% of the Bernie or Bust movement - how many of them seemed to cast the 2008 primary being this epic left versus right battle of Obama and Hillary, rather than simply a matter of charisma and identity politics between two fairly establishment Democrats? Or that Obama "crushed" Hillary when it really went down to the wire, significantly closer than any point in the 16 primary post-Super Tuesday. They just envisioned 2016 as a repeat of their version of 2008 where Liberal Hero Obama beat Big Bad Wall Street Neoliberal Hillary who dared get in his way. But I digress.

Base liberals who elected Obama in 08 had taken their lumps in 00/04 and knew nothing was guaranteed. People who only came out for Obama in 08 and started paying attention to politics then didn't give a shit and just thought Democrats would win forever. I've heard plenty of Bernie supporters act as if Gore and Kerry were just these disaster candidates who lost purely because they were so bad, rather than victims of a Republican smear campaign aided by the media mollycoddling the GOP candidates and exaggerating any minor fault by the Democrats to be something worse than Nixonian. The same as what happened with Clinton and Trump.

Next Democratic candidate needs to be either charismatic as hell that any accusations roll off of them (e.g. Obama, Jeremiah Wright or Bill Ayers happening to Hillary would have destroyed her), thoroughly researched, vetted and clean as a whistle, or ideally both. Gillibrand is honestly looking like the best candidate to me on paper, so I hope she doesn't have any skeletons hidden away.

Sibylus

Banned
Mulcair (NDP) challenges the Trudeau government to stand and be counted against these fascist actions. Not mincing words at all.

Liberal MP countering that caution may be best.

This type of stunt can't play well with WWC voters. He's going to do this big gala stunt thing and they're just going to be "so where are those jobs?"

Guy keeps doing us favors if we can just have legit elections in 2018 and 2020.

I doubt it really matters to them - this is who he is and everyone knows that.

But maybe if he keeps doing it while things don't improve for people, yeah, I can see people getting tired of it.

The New Democrat MP that called for the emergency debate is bringing the fire, and she is calling Trump out and calling for Trudeau to honor his subtweet with concrete specific actions:
  • Suspend the Safe Third Country Agreement so that stranded refugees and travelers in the US can be allowed to come to Canada instead (on the basis that the US is no longer dealing in good faith as an equal, conscientious partner in immigration matters)
  • Fast-track immigration applicants that have been approved, are in the process, and of those who are stranded in US detention.

A second asked what the NDP (New Democrat Party) wants to specifically do to opt out of the Safe Third Country Agreement. She responded with the specific article.

Leader of the NDP is now throwing his support in behind her, and also noting that his entire bench condemns the Muslim ban. He called it racist. He's now repeating the three demands of the MP.

Why do they have to suspend the agreement? What are the provisions in there?

If the NDP ends up siphoning Liberal votes to the point where conservatives take back power in Canada, I will be so fucking angry.....

I doubt it really matters to them - this is who he is and everyone knows that.

But maybe if he keeps doing it while things don't improve for people, yeah, I can see people getting tired of it.

There's already a dip in his approval with them because of his obsession with his inauguration numbers. Maybe the EOs will bounce that back but they really don't seem to be going in on his opulence fetish.

Admittedly that's just anecdotal though.

Balphon

It essentially requires refugees arriving in Canada or the US have to seek refugee status in the country they arrived in first.

It was a boring administrative measure until about four days ago.

Sibylus

Banned
Pointless point of order/tone debate atm.

Conservative MP asking a question about Yazidis/Assyrian Christian refugees that I didn't quite catch.

Mulcair arguing for the need of the debate, and is once again unequivocal in calling Trump a fascist.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...nt-canada-out-of-safe-third-country-agreement

"The Safe Third Country Agreement, signed between Canada and the U.S., stipulates that anyone seeking refugee status must do so in the first country they entered."

Sibylus

Banned
Liberal Minister of Immigration Ahmed Hussen (Somali-born and banned from the US now, as you all may recall) rises and argues that current high levels of immigrant intake are sufficient, citing expectations of 280,000-320,000 new permanent residents in Canada in 2017.

Sibylus

Banned
Hussen giving the WH's assurances that Canadian citizens and dual-citizens will be unaffected. Something about WH giving waivers to refugees, saying situation is still evolving.

If the NDP ends up siphoning Liberal votes to the point where conservatives take back power in Canada, I will be so fucking angry.....

The Liberals should do a bang-up job, then. Leave nothing to chance.

Gruco

Banned
Paul Ryan, how do you feel about the United States' plan to ensure that cold, starving and helpless children will die?

Paul Ryan: Regrettably, the rollout was confusing.

Sibylus

Banned
https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/826561364546174977
JUST IN: Canadian PM's office accuses Fox News of 'spreading misinformation' over gunman's identity in Quebec mosque shooting

I like the cut of his jib, but we need more from him.

Debate: Hussen giving personal refugee accounts and particular initiatives. Don't see the relevance to the other demands just yet.
- Target of bringing down wait times for looking at applications to two weeks (iirc)
- Removal of work permit requirement for working short-term in Canada
- Tripled private sponsorship over last government

The Liberals should do a bang-up job, then. Leave nothing to chance.

You don't get what I am saying.

Part of the reason the liberals did so damn well in 2015 was because a lot of potential NDP voters recognized that it was better to vote for the liberal candidate to help stop the conservative MP from winning in their area than to do the Canadian equivalent of "Bernie or Bust".

The way you are describing it, it sounds like the NDP is focusing MORE on opposing liberals than on actually opposing the Conservatives.

And this is going to sound controversial, but part of the reason that Canada's refugee program has been such a success is because they haven't been taking in the kinds of numbers of refugees as European nations like Germany.

Sibylus

Banned
Conservative MP rises, she feels too many platitudes offered, wants comment on the government's position on the Safe Third Country Agreement.

Sibylus

Banned
NDP MP asks why the government won't immediately invoke Article 10 to opt out of the STCA.

Immigration Minister responds that they aren't making sudden movements with the present assurances given by the Trump WH.

You don't get what I am saying.

Part of the reason the liberals did so damn well in 2015 was because a lot of potential NDP voters recognized that it was better to vote for the liberal candidate to help stop the conservative MP from winning in their area than to do the Canadian equivalent of "Bernie or Bust".

The way you are describing it, it sounds like the NDP is focusing MORE on opposing liberals than on actually opposing the Conservatives.

And this is going to sound controversial, but part of the reason that Canada's refugee program has been such a success is because they haven't been taking in the kinds of numbers of refugees as European nations like Germany.

I don't really get that vibe. NDP is savaging Trump and calling on government for a firm action commitment.

Not controversial to me. It's an important point to be made, raw numbers and resources to go around ofc (which is largely a function of time you have to resettle them too).

I am not sure. It's like one of those things where I'd like to see preference intensity. Merkuns care a lot. Protests are pretty encouraging but then you see polls where it's like 50/50. It's hard to reconcile.
Right, it's 50/50, but the protests galvanize the left and give us something to care about, which consolidates whatever part of our coalition we have left.

Sibylus

Banned
Green party leader (Elizabeth May) rises and shouts out to the crowds gathered outside in the snow, offers up a demand that the empty spaces in the chamber be opened to the public for them to brought in.

And we have a go? The public are being brought in afaik.

I don't really get that vibe. NDP is savaging Trump and calling on government for a firm action commitment.

Not controversial to me. It's an important point to be made, raw numbers and resources to go around ofc.

I get that they are opposing Trump, but it sounds like they are trying to associate the Liberal Party with Trump just to win over Liberal Party voters when their actions would be much more productive if they tied Trump to the Conservative Party.

It reminds me of when Jill Stein would dodge questions about causing Trump to win by claiming that Trump is caused by the Democrats.

I am not sure. It's like one of those things where I'd like to see preference intensity. Merkuns care a lot. Protests are pretty encouraging but then you see polls where it's like 50/50. It's hard to reconcile.

You aren't looking at that Reuters poll closely enough, or you would notice that:

- That 49% is a combination of "strongly agree" and "somewhat agree", and normally that would make sense, but really what the hell is the difference between any of the answers that aren't "strongly agree/disagree"?

- The poll showed that only 31% of respondents think that the EO is making us "more safe", which means that very few people actually perceive any benefits to the EO.

- The poll surveyed more republicans than democrats, which makes sense if you assume that 2016's turnout is the new normal, but that would be like assuming that 2012 would have 2008 type turnout.

Sibylus

Banned
NDP MP rises and puts it to the government if the government will take further actions to offer asylum to LGBT people stranded in the 7 Muslim nations.

Immigration Minister clarifies that the 1,000 person limit on private sponsorship is only one stream amongst many.

I get that they are opposing Trump, but it sounds like they are trying to associate the Liberal Party with Trump just to win over Liberal Party voters when their actions would be much more productive if they tied Trump to the Conservative Party.

It reminds me of when Jill Stein would dodge questions about causing Trump to win by claiming that Trump is caused by the Democrats.

Nah, they're not equivocating them with Trump. Mulcair is turning up the heat by asking the government if inaction and indecision is what they can expect from them. Different sort of framing altogether, and I'm sorry but things move too fast to give you a transcript of everything. This is a very dense session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom