• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he hasn't, no more than liberals are making a "one of the good ones" argument when they mention a conservative who hates Trump. There's a difference between stereotyping and statistics.

The quote I was talking about is making a claim about almost all of the 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide. He casually exempts a few, but he is absolutely criticizing the entire religion instead of just various sects.

I wish there was a way to criticize a religion and at the same time not demonize a person.

You totally can, but this is something philosophers often do well because they argue logically with a goal of "what is a good answer" instead of "how do I win this and look smart." Maher is clearly the latter, and he's clearly not equipped or educated enough to be making decent criticism of religious beliefs.

I believe the joke was "Ironically, my TiVo also sometimes cuts things off." It was cheeky and funny.

Trans people don't usually find this funny.

I'm all for protesting Milo, but this argument is flawed. What if a republican says he/she dropped out of school because a liberal speaker trashed rednecks.

Ugh Judge is grilling the shit out of the lawyer,

Like as in Milo directly harassed a specfic trans student. Like pictures and all calling her a deluded man he'd totally fuck as part of his presentation. You might think it's copl to host transphobic speeches that dehumanize my community but I don't. You might think directly harassing a student amd causing her to drop out shouldn't be protested against but I don't.

Fuck him. And screw Bill Maher for wanting him in his show.

Chumley

Banned
Like as in Milo directly harassed a specfic trans student. Like pictures and all calling her a deluded man he'd totally fuck as part of his presentation. You might think it's copl to host transphobic speeches that dehumanize my community but I don't. You might think directly harassing a student amd causing her to drop out shouldn't be protested against but I don't.

Fuck him. And screw Bill Maher for wanting him in his show.

Maher is going to tear Milo apart.

Milo literally caused a student to drop out because the school allowed him to just walk in and trash her for fun. Fuck that
If she dropped out of a college program just because she got harassed at one event filled with alt right trolls then I don't know how she's going to survive in the real world where the median tolerance for trans people is dramatically lower than a college campus filled with young people in a (formerly) blue state.
Trans people don't usually find this funny.
There is a long way to go from "this was insensitive" to "Bill Maher is transphobic".

If she dropped out of a college program just because she got harassed at one event filled with alt right trolls then I don't know how she's going to survive in the real world where the median tolerance for trans people is dramatically lower than a college campus filled with young people in a (formerly) blue state.

That's right put it on her.

In the real world. If she was at a job and her company brought in someone who harassed her in a board room presentation heads would fly.
But yes please downplay what Milo did. Go ahead.

Someone who knows about Law explain the hearing so far? Seems like the state lawer doesn't seem prepared.

It's probably hard to be prepared for something nobody has ever thought they would have to defend in court.

I feel bad for the guy, assuming he's not a Trump appointee.

If he is though, then mwahahaha.

Grexeno

It's probably hard to be prepared for something nobody has ever thought they would have to defend in court.

I feel bad for the guy, assuming he's not a Trump appointee.

If he is though, then mwahahaha.
I don't think Trump has been around long enough to have appointees beyond Gorsuch.

No one tears Milo apart. Because he's just a smarmy bigot, like Milo can't actually be reasoned with. He's an asshole who likes yo harass people. Maher is just going to give him a platform and they'll probably agree on the over sensitivity of liberals and bond over that and thus he'll gain legitimacy.

Nope. Maher is a comedian, he's not going to tear anyone apart, especially Milo who is a good debater (in the same way Ted Cruz is, highly disingenuous and sets a lot of traps people fall for).

I have no problem inviting Milo on any show. Let him debate. Initially I had no problem with Milo doing speeches on campuses but after outing a trans student...nah. IF he was simply going to campuses talking shit I wouldn't care. But he's actively violating people's privacy and making them targets for hate groups.

sangreal

I think this travel ban is going to be reinstated.

not in its current form

the most adversarial judge had a lot of good points, but they dont resolve the issues with the current order

and the 9th circuit is the most liberal appeals court in the nation

but then again, I am biased because this is what I wanted the opposition to do weeks ago

the gop got found one sympathetic judge in texas willing to issue nationwide injuctions against obama's executive orders. We could try that I suppose

I'm rather miffed that this appeal was heard so quickly while Obama's EOs were left to Trump's administration to drop the cases. eg the clearly legal overtime changes

Toxi

Banned
What are they going to debate anyway? That Milo Yiannopolos is a colossal stain of diarrhea who should stop being an asshole?

No one tears Milo apart. Because he's just a smarmy bigot like Milo can't actually be reasoned with. He's an asshole wjo likes yo harass people. Maher is just going to give him a platform and they'll probably agree on the over sensitivity of liberals and bond over that.

On a Joe Rogan podcast where he had Milo on as a guest he smacked him around on his self hatred of his sexuality and his belief in the Bible, a book that calls his lifestyle sinful.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What are they going to debate anyway? That Milo Yiannopolos is a colossal stain of diarrhea who really shouldn't act like an asshole?

Maybe he'll get punched.

I mean, I have no problem with having him on, but if it were my show there's no way in hell I'd give Milo a soapbox. Even if I were going in to embarrass him.

That's right put it on her.

In the real world. If she was at a job and her company brought in someone who harassed her in board room presentation heads would fly.
But yes please downplay what Milo did. Go ahead.
I'd describe what Milo did as petty, disgusting, indecent, and vitriolic. I'd describe what she did as stupid.

You're right, that wouldn't fly in a board room meeting. But she didn't have to attend the presentation. There's no expectation that the speaker is there to have a fruitful and respectful dialogue with the audience. She ran away from a campus because she felt threatened by mockery. Where can she run away to when she gets kicked in a bathroom? Can trans people even use their preferred bathroom in Wisconsin?

You said you have the right to protest this kind of speech. This topic was brought up because of Berkeley. As someone who saw videos of what went down in Berkeley and spoke to a good friend who was actually there protesting, antifa was pepperspraying people and breaking into banks. I would never go as far as slander peaceful protestors with the violent actions of a few but it is worth noting that this "punch a Nazi" bullshit is deeply intertwined with the refusal to accept dissenting opinions. At some point the ideological left needs to take a step back and ask itself if it has truly lost its mind.

I'd describe what Milo did as petty, disgusting, indecent, and vitriolic. I'd describe what she did as stupid.

You're right, that wouldn't fly in a board room meeting. But she didn't have to attend the presentation. There's no expectation that the speaker is there to have a fruitful and respectful dialogue with the audience. She ran away from a campus because she felt threatened by mockery. Where can she run away to when she gets kicked in a bathroom? Can trans people even use their preferred bathroom in Wisconsin?

You said you have the right to protest this kind of speech. This topic was brought up because of Berkeley. As someone who saw videos of what went down in Berkeley and spoke to a good friend who was actually there protesting, antifa was pepperspraying people and breaking into banks. I would never go as far as slander peaceful protestors with the violent actions of a few but it is worth noting that this "punch a Nazi" bullshit is deeply intertwined with the refusal to accept dissenting opinions. At some point the ideological left needs to take a step back and ask itself if it has truly lost its mind.

And yet if she didn't attend he still would have been there publicly harassing her. Milo has zero worth. I'm sick of people being more concerned about a media personality who has platforms across several mediums to spew his garbage, being allowed to have yet one more platform than the people his speaking tours hurt...

Berkley was invaded by a third party. The students were using their speech. Power to them and fuck Milo.

kirblar

The "Punch a Nazi" thing is basically the inverse of the golden rule when it comes to bullies- if they want to hurt you, they're not going to respond to anything but reciprocity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The "Punch a Nazi" thing is basically the inverse of the golden rule when it comes to bullies- if they want to hurt you, they're not going to respond to anything but reciprocity.

The Golden Rule works, until you're dealing with Nazis and White Supremacists.

Chumley

Banned
Nope. Maher is a comedian, he's not going to tear anyone apart, especially Milo who is a good debater (in the same way Ted Cruz is, highly disingenuous and sets a lot of traps people fall for).

I have no problem inviting Milo on any show. Let him debate. Initially I had no problem with Milo doing speeches on campuses but after outing a trans student...nah. IF he was simply going to campuses talking shit I wouldn't care. But he's actively violating people's privacy and making them targets for hate groups.

I guess I should rephrase - he'll give him enough rope to hang himself with and make him look like a moron like he did with Tomi and almost every die hard Trumper he's had on his panel.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kellyanne looks like she hasn't slept in 6 months.

And holy shit, look at Tapper go. He's been a good interviewer for a while, but I don't think I've seen him with this level of disdain before. He's truly tired of Kellyanne's (and the Trump admin's) shit.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Meanwhile @CNN
https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/829045193131380736

C4FcCUzWYAUERvU.jpg:small

It's so fucking nuts that we have an administration that is blatantly making shit up.

Let's look back on FDR's opinion on Nazis:

President Roosevelt "had been very much struck by the extent of German destruction in the Crimea and therefore he was more bloodthirsty in regard to the Germans than he had been a year ago, and he hoped that Marshal Stalin would again propose a toast to the execution of 50,000 officers of the German Army."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm all for protesting Milo, but this argument is flawed. What if a republican says he/she dropped out of school because a liberal speaker trashed rednecks.

That is not the same at all. Milo posted a picture of her during his speech and made fun of her during his speech. Specifically her. She was targeted, it wasn't a generic transgendered person

People are passing this study around as definitive "all extreme protests are bad" but jesus christ, it's a fucking experimental study.

https://twitter.com/kwcollins/status/829083399285592068

I am against extreme protests many times, but "do you support Trump more or less after immediately watching this video?" is terrible design for political science which studies systems where voters or citizens don't react immediately to events. It's an interesting study, but this is not a very definitive study at all >_>

FB sez 1 million people are talking about Spicer.

What did he do this time?

It was the SNL thing and the heat he's getting in the WH for being imitated by a woman.

Edit: lol I saw the new headline.

I wonder how many Press Secretaries Trump is going to burn through during his administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom