• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
what the fuck is wrong with the failing New York Times? i swear, they have the same insecurity and inferiority complex with Trump as he does with them. they deserve each other.

Teggy

Isn't this the same thing that happened during the campaign, where the governor of wherever (Louisiana?) had to tell him not to come because it was too soon?

Pixieking

Banned
NYT links should be auto-removed at this point, it's so trash and forgiving of Trump. Or, at the very least, for anything that's being reported across media, alternative articles from WaPo, LATimes or CNN should be linked to instead.

NYT links should be auto-removed at this point, it's so trash and forgiving of Trump. Or, at the very least, for anything that's being reported across media, alternative articles from WaPo, LATimes or CNN should be linked to instead.
But they need that sweet sweet access.

royalan

Is it really fair to say this is his first big test?

I'd say Charlottesville was. And he failed miserably.

His First Big Test will always be the thing that can be positively spun.

In this case, Trump managed to send out a positive tweet! The Great Pivot has surely begun.

Teggy

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
HISTORIC rainfall in Houston, and all over Texas. Floods are unprecedented, and more rain coming. Spirit of the people is incredible.Thanks!
7:01 PM · Aug 27, 2017

Thanks? I mean, I guess he's trying to compliment the people in Texas, but he just comes off like an idiot.

And again, he tries to make some link between himself and anything historic.

Pixieking

Banned
Never forget this hot take from a nytimes writer

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/896575560650035200

What.... On Earth?

1. Striking how many of the white nationalists were young people, almost entirely men. 1/3

How naive do you have to be for this to be striking? Oh Lord.

But they need that sweet sweet access.

Judging from the tweet above, they need to pull their head out their collective arses. But *shrug emoji*

I have no idea how objectively well the feds are handling this situation so far (and as I've said previously in this event, there would be absolutely no way to entirely prepare for a situation this extreme), but that NYT piece contrasted with pictures of that retirement home is not a good look. The TX governor talking about how all requests have been met contrasted with crowdsourcing water rescue of thousands today is not a good look.

This is not an appropriate time for op-eds or political spin. We'll have infinitely more time to argue about that all later.

Occam's Razor would be that NYT are naive, gulliable and don't want the plug to be pulled on their leaks/interviews, but the sheer consistancy of this behavior makes me wonder if there is something deeply sick in the staff. Media coverage is usually dumb though, so I don't know.

kcp12304

Banned
Occam's Razor would be that NYT are naive, gulliable and don't want the plug to be pulled on their leaks/interviews, but the sheer consistancy of this behavior makes me wonder if there is something deeply sick in the staff. Media coverage is usually dumb though, so I don't know.

It's a fixation on "optics" and every little thing has to mean something in the bigger picture. Trump behaving (not really) for a day or tweeting PR that he looks involved has to mean some big thing. Then we move onto the next thing to declare.

Mr. Trump's presidency has been unusual so far in the lack of major external crises, either at home or abroad. Critics have questioned how he would handle a major test, and his response to Hurricane Harvey may offer a blueprint.

Apparently we've forgotten that there was a terrorist attack two weeks ago and not indicative of how Trump mishandles a crisis.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Has Trump expanded the military at all? The Transgender Ban seems like the only thing that is major right now.

I believe he has done a few veterans and military memorial related things, but I don't think they have done anything to expand the military budget or size of the standing army that has managed to get past both the house and senate.

That hasn't stopped him from claiming he has expanded and restored the military to the best it has ever been at rallies though.

It's a fixation on "optics" and every little thing has to mean something in the bigger picture. Trump behaving (not really) for a day or tweeting PR that he looks involved has to mean some big thing. Then we move onto the next thing to declare.

See: Opioid emergency "declaration" hasn't actually happened, but he gets his headlines all the same.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
NYT said:
It was a calculated display of energetic presidential leadership — one hardly unique to the Trump administration. But it also revealed a president who was genuinely engaged by the drama unfolding in Texas, certainly more so than he has been by other pressing issues facing his administration, like tax reform or a repeal of the Affordable Care Act.
In one sentence it's calculated, in the next it's proof of genuine interest. Like, come on. It's a photo op and a string of meaningless fluff tweets. The author is willfully working to convince themselves Trump is doing something good.

In one sentence it's calculated, in the next it's proof of genuine interest. Like, come on. It's a photo op and a string of meaningless fluff tweets. The author is willfully working to convince themselves Trump is doing something good.

Journalism, an overwhelmingly white industry, makes excuses for white president. Story on tomorrow's front page.

Bit of an overkill here. The NYT isn't forgiving of Trump, it mentioned the Arpaio flap in that article. Their editorial page is very anti-Trump. Most of their articles aren't supportive of Trump. They've broken several big pieces on Trump that haven't been kind to him (See: Trump Jr. Emails.)

It's ridiculous to ask that the NYT get the same treatment that not even Fox News gets.

Pixieking

Banned
Bit of an overkill here. The NYT isn't forgiving of Trump, it mentioned the Arpaio flap in that article. Their editorial page is very anti-Trump. Most of their articles aren't supportive of Trump. They've broken several big pieces on Trump that haven't been kind to him (See: Trump Jr. Emails.)

It's ridiculous to ask that the NYT get the same treatment that not even Fox News gets.

And yet...

Originally Posted by NYT

It was a calculated display of energetic presidential leadership — one hardly unique to the Trump administration. But it also revealed a president who was genuinely engaged by the drama unfolding in Texas

Yeah, it is a bit ridiculous, but at the same time, it's a bit ridiculous that the NYT has so much power partly because the perception of it is that it's entirely impartial, when it's clearly not. But, as you point out, they have broken news that isn't favourable to Trump, so there really does seem to be something weird going on over there.

Let's rename Harvey to Hurricane Trump, then he'll be able to boast about his historic rainfall event.

Subtle pee-tape reference there. :p

royalan

My thing is, at some point, in order to be honest, you HAVE to write Donald Trump off. It's condescending at this point to a reader that so much of the media is still looking for the pivot. How many times will a new scandal, challenge, or revelation arise where the media's initial reaction is "This will test Donald Trump's ability to be _____________." And it's like, no!, he's already been tested, and he's already failed. A thousand times over he's failed.

Just report his actions, no matter how rotten, no matter how much they don't measure up to great people who have come before him. Stop looking at every time Trump doesn't piss himself as an opportunity to reset the narrative. It's dishonest. Because eventually Trump IS going to piss himself. Donald Trump is who he is. A perpetual self-pisser.

NYT has altered the headline of that article at least twice already. It started as

"Hurricane Brings Display of a President Anything But Disengaged"

which was changed to

"Storm Response Showed a President Monitoring the Unfolding Drama"

now it's

"Trump to Travel to Texas With Torrential Rain Still in the Forecast"

The first headline was ridiculous.

Pixieking

Banned
WaPo breaking news:

Trump’s business sought deal on a Trump Tower in Moscow while he ran for president

Trump never went to Moscow as Sater proposed. And although investors and Trump’s company signed a letter of intent, they lacked the land and permits to proceed and the project was abandoned at the end of January 2016, just before the presidential primaries began, several people familiar with the proposal said.

Nevertheless, the details of the deal, which have not previously been disclosed, provide evidence that Trump’s business was actively pursuing significant commercial interests in Russia at the same time he was campaigning to be president — and in a position to determine U.S.-Russia relations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-name_hp-breaking-news:page/breaking-news-bar

While Donald Trump was running for president in late 2015 and early 2016, his company was pursuing a plan to develop a massive Trump Tower in Moscow, according to several people familiar with the proposal and new records reviewed by Trump Organization lawyers.

As part of the discussions, a Russian-born real estate developer urged Trump to come to Moscow to tout the proposal and suggested he could get President Vladimir Putin to say “great things” about Trump, according to several people who have been briefed on his correspondence.

Trump never went to Moscow as Sater proposed. And although investors and Trump’s company signed a letter of intent, they lacked the land and permits to proceed and the project was abandoned at the end of January 2016, just before the presidential primaries began, several people familiar with the proposal said.

Nevertheless, the details of the deal, which have not previously been disclosed, provide evidence that Trump’s business was actively pursuing significant commercial interests in Russia at the same time he was campaigning to be president — and in a position to determine U.S.-Russia relations. The new details from the emails, which are scheduled to be turned over to congressional investigators soon, also point to the likelihood of additional contacts between Russia-connected individuals and Trump associates during his presidential bid.

I believe he has done a few veterans and military memorial related things, but I don't think they have done anything to expand the military budget or size of the standing army that has managed to get past both the house and senate.

That hasn't stopped him from claiming he has expanded and restored the military to the best it has ever been at rallies though.

That is what I thought.

NYT has altered the headline of that article at least twice already. It started as

"Hurricane Brings Display of a President Anything But Disengaged"

which was changed to

"Storm Response Showed a President Monitoring the Unfolding Drama"

now it's

"Trump to Travel to Texas With Torrential Rain Still in the Forecast"

The first headline was ridiculous.

This is the same type of logic the folks over at my college sports board use to prove that the local paper is against them. It's a stretch based on sinister assumptions there, & it's similar here. There isn't the type of alignment across the spectrum to make that case.

It could be as simple as them agreeing with you that the first headline was ridiculous. It's probably not anything as sinister as them trying to suck up to the Trump, or apologizing for him. If that's the case, they need to can their entire editorial page.

Woah. The DNC just released their new slogan after reviewing feedback from the last one, and it's pretty bold.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom