• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's passing. Has anyone seen McConnell today? How smiling was he? Oh god, it's passing. It's already passed.

Funny how they gave Kentucky more federal funding (on paper, anyway) to try and rope Paul into supporting this when I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of what he'd want lol

Anyway, it's interesting that Graham-Cassidy already has majority disapproval because my sense is that the media isn't taking this effort nearly as seriously as they were for AHCA, where the average schmuck had a clearer image of what the bill would do if enacted. It has much higher undecideds than what we usually saw for that bill, probably owing to that, but I think there's a pretty hard majority against any repeal and replace plan now. 9 months of GOP antics has made it clear they don't have an actual functional plan ready to go, so the general consensus has moved firmly into "let's fix Obamacare."
I think we're getting to a point where the public no longer trusts the GOP to properly handle healthcare reform

Anything proposed by them is immediately viewed as bad and they need to be convinced is good

AndyD

aka andydumi
How many reworks are they going to try to slip in before the Friday deadline I wonder?
All of them.

It was interesting on weekend interviews the standard response to criticism seems to be equitable distribution of funds to all states. But the obvious follow-up question of why put limitations on how funds are used just wasn't asked.

I think we're getting to a point where the public no longer trusts the GOP to properly handle healthcare reform

Anything proposed by them is immediately viewed as bad and they need to be convinced is good
I understand many people at the beginning of Trump's term being like "oh, let's give him a chance," and every GOP bill that's come out has just been worse than the last one. Trump and the GOP had very little good will to start with, and whatever benefit of the doubt voters were willing to give them has already been burned through.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can he be charged with state crimes as President?

Legal experts I have read on Twitter say yes.

Aaron Strife said:
Funny how they gave Kentucky more federal funding (on paper, anyway) to try and rope Paul into supporting this when I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of what he'd want lol

I laughed at that, too. Made no sense to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So no one nailed Nixon because he hadn't really committed state crimes or the investigator just wasn't as much of a hard ass as Mueller?

No clue. Almost unviersally, though, I have seen legal analysts say a president can be charged with state crimes.

Anyone else been hearing the word ”uppity" a lot today? Jesus Christ.

Yup. How dare black people have opinions!

No clue. Almost unviersally, though, I have seen legal analysts say a president can be charged with state crimes.

If I were to guess, it'd be because trying to get Nixon at the time would've been a federalism nightmare, particularly back when he was asserting executive privilege protected him from investigation generally.

FyreWulff

So no one nailed Nixon because he hadn't really committed state crimes or the investigator just wasn't as much of a hard ass as Mueller?

Nixon was pretty much let go for reasons(tm). They got most everyone around him, though.

Not that I agree with it.. but yeah, he was pretty much allowed to walk. The political capital/momentum was that it was supposedly enough shame to resign as president.

giphy.gif

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got an alert for this story. We'll see what comes from it...

NBC News said:
North Korea's foreign minister said Monday that President Donald Trump has "declared war" on his country and that the regime would consider shooting down American bombers even if they were outside its airspace.

"Since the U.S. declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down the U.S. bombers even when they are not yet inside the airspace border of our country," Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters in New York.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-...-minister-says-trump-has-declared-war-n804501

tbh I could see them trying to pass something out of spite in the lame duck session should Democrats win the House.

Also unfortunately if McCain dies or resigns. They might figure "oh sweet, we have the votes for skinny repeal now." In which case hopefully Graham would step up to the plate for his dead friend, it's not like he wanted skinny repeal to be law either.

Plinko

Probably not during the run up to the midterms, but if we don't take enough seats back then definitely in 2019.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see it again this year.

Are you ironically defending a pedophile or...?

Because you're defending a pedophile

I think he's saying the sentence is too lenient, not too harsh.

EDIT: apparently not, judging by the other thread.

So, like, are we all going to die? North Korea sure sounds like they're trying to start a war, and Trump isn't going to de-escalate.

I think he's saying the sentence is too lenient, not too harsh.

So, like, are we all going to die? North Korea sure sounds like they're trying to start a war, and Trump isn't going to de-escalate.

Probably not. The threats are pretty much the same. Media just likes reporting on NK shit because it gets clicks.

The people of Puerto Rico are really getting the short of the end of the stick here. Where's the coverage? Or the many public condemnations of this administrations non-response?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom