• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Born there but grew up here entirely so i would not bring in Sudan without heavy recent links.

I don't think the intention was to in any way insinuate that the shooter's Sudanese background had anything to do with the shooting, rather it's that Trump, given his xenophobia, should be slobbering all over this. He's not. Which is weird.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't think the intention was to in any way insinuate that the shooter's Sudanese background had anything to do with the shooting, rather it's that Trump, given his xenophobia, should be slobbering all over this. He's not. Which is weird.
I agree. I meant that Trump has probably been warned against this kind of talk by his attorneys due to the Supreme court hearing coming up on the travel ban. His words can be used against them and they have already seen it used at lower levels. He's undermining his own efforts with it.
That said, he also tends to latch onto one thing at a time, and the NFL thing is it right now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think he's saying the sentence is too lenient, not too harsh.

EDIT: apparently not, judging by the other thread.

So, like, are we all going to die? North Korea sure sounds like they're trying to start a war, and Trump isn't going to de-escalate.

North Korea s in the process of blackmailing the West, as it has been for thirty years, its very survival requires that it maintain this state - of declared and imminent war - and in that context, this isn't an escalation. The rhetorical vocabulary has shifted because of the oafishness of our current president. NK is merely shifting to use similar terminology and intensity.

The important escalation is the state of their threatening technology, which they seem to be getting help with, from an outside actor. Could be Iran, but I think it's probably Russia and I think that's part of why China's ire with NK is more than surface level.

In fact, I've seen several folks claim that help is coming from Ukraine, which means it's definitely Russia.

I agree. I meant that Trump has probably been warned against this kind of talk by his attorneys due to the Supreme court hearing coming up on the travel ban. His words can be used against them and they have already seen it used at lower levels. He's undermining his own efforts with it.
That said, he also tends to latch onto one thing at a time, and the NFL thing is it right now.

True. Dogs chasing cars and all that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Elyse PG‏ @elysepg 36m36 minutes ago

Murkowski flying from Alaska this morning, spending flight "thinking about her decision," per staff.

AKA "You know I'm not dumb enough to come right out and say I'm not voting for it, because then Trump will call me again."

Without sounding terribly callous, how would the make-up of the Senate impact GC bill if McCain were to go in early retirement? And on that note, how does 2018 play out for Arizona's seat?

Mac_Lane

It really is annoying that they (Collins & Murkowski) don't clearly say what their vite will be. I can't imagine another dramatic vote like last time.

Kusagari

Collins and Murkowski don't want to be attacked even worse than usual for days in advance. That's why they don't say their decision.

dramatis

It really is annoying that they (Collins & Murkowski) don't clearly say what their vite will be. I can't imagine another dramatic vote like last time.
It doesn't get to the floor to get a vote unless McConnell thinks 50 is a surefire thing.

While Collins and Murkowski hemming and hawwing casts uncertainty for us, it's also uncertainty for the Republicans. In the end, it drags out time, which does help indirectly.

Come on guys. Its over. Lisa M is not coming in riding on a horse like Gandalf and saving GC from jaws of defeat. Neither is Collins. It's over Johnny. It's over!

It doesn't get to the floor to get a vote unless McConnell thinks 50 is a surefire thing.

While Collins and Murkowski hemming and hawwing casts uncertainty for us, it's also uncertainty for the Republicans. In the end, it drags out time, which does help indirectly.

I'm not so sure about that, political suicide bombing is very in vogue these days.

Teggy

Ladies and gentlemen, your Republican Party

Philip Wegmann @PhilipWegmann
·
14m
Future Sen Moore: "I've got guns. I've certainly got more guns than my opponent. I won't say how many guns I've got"

Wait, what?

Buzzfeed: Steve Bannon Sought To Infiltrate Facebook Hiring

Steve Bannon plotted to plant a mole inside Facebook, according to emails sent days before the Breitbart boss took over Donald Trump’s campaign and obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The email exchange with a conservative Washington operative reveals the importance that the giant tech platform — now reeling from its role in the 2016 election — held for one of the campaign’s central figures. And it also shows the lengths to which the brawling new American right is willing to go to keep tabs on and gain leverage over the Silicon Valley giants it used to help elect Trump — but whose executives it also sees as part of the globalist enemy.

The idea to infiltrate Facebook came to Bannon from Chris Gacek, a former congressional staffer who is now an official at the Family Research Council, which lobbies against abortion and many LGBT rights.

“There is one for a DC-based ‘Public Policy Manager’ at Facebook’s What’s APP [sic] division,” Gacek, the senior fellow for regulatory affairs at the group, wrote on Aug. 1, 2016. “LinkedIn sent me a notice about some job openings.”

“This seems perfect for Breitbart to flood the zone with candidates of all stripe who will report back to you / Milo with INTEL about the job application process over at FB," he continued.

“Milo” is former Breitbart News Tech Editor Milo Yiannopoulos, to whom Bannon forwarded Gacek’s email the same day.

“Can u get on this,” Bannon instructed his staffer.

On the same email thread, Yiannopoulos forwarded Bannon’s request to a group of contracted researchers, one of whom responded that it “Seems dificult [sic] to do quietly without them becoming aware of efforts.”

Neither Bannon, Yiannopoulos, Gacek, nor the Family Research Council responded to multiple requests for comment on the exchange, and it’s unclear whether the men’s plans ever advanced beyond spitballing on email.

studyguy

C-G Healthcare Bill has a literal wall of police blocking it now.
Police grumbling about expected arrests to be made.
Lots of disabled folk and not enough wheelchair access to the hearing.
DKlbRxSVwAAgWrT.jpg
We're literally going to see a repeat of those disabled protestors being carried off.

Cassidy just called Collins a smart governor. Hmmm. Freudian slip?

Edit: This was live on CNN.
Speaking of, she said she'll announce a decision by Columbus Day (10/9) about whether she'll run for governor or not.

Hope she goes for it - she'd be a huge step up over a LePage, and it makes her seat winnable in 2020, especially if she appoints a placeholder rather than someone who'll run for the full term. It'd suck to give up the governor's race, but I feel like Collins with a D legislature wouldn't be that much different anyway.

Nasbin

Cassidy just called Collins a smart governor. Hmmm. Freudian slip?

Edit: This was live on CNN.

He also that if Collins was a no the bill was dead. Collins is a no. Doesn't sound like Rand or Murkowski are budging.

6rJbkj3.png

Take this for what it's worth but I'm putting my faith in Lisa. She doesn't owe the GOP shit.

We just had a whole political drama happen over the summer (complete with totally incredulous deciding thumbs down moment that'd get you laughed out of any writer's room in the country) that shows that isn't the case, tho. If he thinks that the act of calling a vote will put enough pressure to push the "maybes" over the edge, he'll try it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
“If there’s a billion more going to Maine…that’s a heck of a lot,” Cassidy said. “It’s not for Susan, it’s for the Mainers. But she cares so passionately about those Mainers, I’m hoping those extra dollars going to her state…would make a difference to her.”

I really can't stand this guy.

Barzul

@LauraLitvan

NEW: Sen Finance Cmte Chair Hatch tells reporters it will be ‘virtually impossible’ to pass #GrahmCassidy as he heads to hearing on bill

Didn't they say the bans were temporary in order to review and rework the process? And wasn't it supposed to be 90 days of which is nearly completed? Shouldn't they have no longer any need for the ban? Not really asking for answers here, just pointing out that the ban should be about over at this point lol.

Cassidy really isn't good at this whole politics thing.

The GOP as a whole isn't. They're just part of a fucking hivemind that has one leader and the rest, minus one to three actual thinking people, manage to fall in line.

Democrats practically don't have that because they all seem to be somewhat intelligent, hence a thousand varying opinions.

He also that if Collins was a no the bill was dead. Collins is a no. Doesn't sound like Rand or Murkowski are budging.

6rJbkj3.png

Take this for what it's worth but I'm putting my faith in Lisa. She doesn't owe the GOP shit.
Yeah I feel a lot better about Murkowski than Paul, even though she hasn't officially said how she'll vote whereas Paul keeps insisting he's against it. I more or less trust that if the bill came up right this minute, as-is he'd vote No, but as we saw with skinny repeal Paul can be bought off. Lisa can not.

Like I said before, any Republican with any ideological opposition to BCRA/skinny repeal/G-C should be pissed about how this is all going down. So many GOP senators and Congressmen took stupid, possibly career-ending votes on bills only the leadership wanted (and only to fulfill a campaign promise, not because it was a good policy), bills that would have destroyed the economy and probably ensured Trump was a one-term president (while possibly even gifting the Democrats the House next year), all for McCain to sink it at the very last second.

Capito and Heller cast their votes for skinny repeal before McCain could. How much you want to bet either of them would have backed off had they known the measure would fail so they could maintain an image of moderation and sensibility, rather than exposing themselves as party-line hacks willing to throw their states under the bus in order to please King Trump?

The way McConnell has been running the Senate has been dangerous and destructive, but to a Senator I'd also imagine it to be insulting and offensive. McConnell doesn't give a shit about you, he's not going to let you off the hook for easy votes. You're either with us or against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom