• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory they can pass another reconciliation budget resolution or some shit like that at the beginning of next year I guess, then this can all start all over again.

You would think they wouldn't be dumb enough to do it during an election year but who the fuck knows at this point?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sam Stein‏Verified account @samstein

House D aide said they asked Gowdy to sign Dem oversight letter to Kushner over his private email use but that Gowdy declined.

Oh, the hypocrisy.

Teggy

Of course all the reporters out there who obsessed on Hillary’s emails are out there saying it’s not the same thing.

PBY

Banned
Democrats landed a very good, and random candidate for Georgia Secretary of State - John Barrow.

While Barrow was a blue dog in the House, he was fairly supportive of Obama before finally getting turned out in 2014. And frankly if there's one office I'm willing to put up with a nonpartisan schtick, it's Secretary of State.

Barrow's kind of a piece of shit, and your post should really acknowledge wtf you're supporting.

I don't know enough about him or that seat to know what the alternative is though.

Blader

Crap. Someone remind me. Reconcilation ends 9/30. So does that mean they need 60 votes for tax reform?

Nah, Tax reform lasts until the end of the year I think, but good luck getting all the Republicans on the same page for that shit.

In theory they can pass another reconciliation budget resolution or some shit like that at the beginning of next year I guess, then this can all start all over again.

Isn't reconciliation use based on the fiscal year, not the calendar year? So this one will expire September 30th, and then the next will run from October 1st to September 30th, 2018. Which the GOP has earmarked for their tax bill. In which case, the next time they could try for a majority vote on ACA repeal would be literally a month before the midterms

Barrow's kind of a piece of shit, and your post should really acknowledge wtf you're supporting.

I don't know enough about him or that seat to know what the alternative is though.
"Barrow's kind of a piece of shit"

"I don't know enough about him"

???

Ogodei

Right wing talking points/conspiracies are so deeply embedded in people nowadays that I'm not sure how you can break through anymore. I was on the bus this weekend and I overheard this group of older folks (probably 65+) who got on from a bus stop near a church discussing politics and it was just nonstop Trump praise or Clinton/Obama trashing. They literally said Clinton gave North Korea nukes by secretly providing them with uranium through the Russians and Iran in exchange for cash/donations and help winning the election by framing Trump.

I was debating whether to even bother interjecting but there were two people in this social group who tried pushing back a little and they just got completely nowhere. Here's two abbreviated exchanges that made me depressed about just getting people to think twice, let alone changing minds:

Like I've gone over it a couple of times in my head and I cannot come up with any way I could have interjected in a way that would be constructive. If their in-group members can't get them to deviate from the script, I'm certainly not going to succeed. The way I see it it would have gone one of three ways:

1) I'm just a liberal, so anything I say is going to be false and not worth responding to.
2) I'm referencing fake news/science, so whatever evidence I offer up is untrue in the first place.
3) Anything they can't immediately dismiss as false only seems real because of a clinton or democratic conspiracy.

There's no path to even attempt dialogue there. It's not an issue of finding the right evidence that would get them to rethink whether their position is the best solution to a problem; it's a question of whether evidence can even exist in the first place.

The one i like is evangelical Christians who, when they know they're losing a political argument, will say "None of this temporal stuff matters. Only Jesus matters."

You try reminding them that they seemed real worked up about this temporal shit only a few minutes ago, but it doesn't stick.

studyguy

Oh god
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/912421495103787013
Daniel Dale (@ddale8)
! Fox reports the Iranian missile launch Trump denounced on Twitter was fake - Iranian TV had played an old video: https://t.co/4Dc5bgkcwR

I get how this happens when you don't depend on your own extensive network of intelligence, but good fucking god.

Iranian state television released video footage Friday claiming to show the launch of a new type of medium-range ballistic missile, a few hours after it was displayed during a military parade in Tehran.

But it turns out Iran never fired a ballistic missile, sources say.

The video released by the Iranians was more than seven months old – dating back to a failed launch in late January, which resulted in the missile exploding shortly after liftoff, according to two U.S. officials.

President Trump had originally responded to the reported launch in a late-Saturday tweet, saying, ”Iran just test-fired a Ballistic Missile capable of reaching Israel. They are also working with North Korea. Not much of an agreement we have!"

He has a terrible voting record. I don't know enough about whether he's the only viable candidate on the left.
He's a blue dog running in Georgia who kept getting redistricted out of his district in even more Republican territory, the last time of which he still managed to hold on for another term. I'm sorry he's not a top candidate for Our Revolution but them's the breaks. You want a 50-state strategy, this is what you need to come to grips with. That being said he still voted for the stimulus bill and DADT repeal so it's not like he's only as good as a Republican.

Someone who was running deferred to Barrow and the only other candidate in the race is reporting 0 money. Furthermore like I said SOS of all positions should be thought of as nonpartisan, even if Republicans have been quite activist and partisan in their holding of them.

Diablos

Yeah. People shouldn't think this isn't going to be gone over again next year.
When McCain is no longer able to serve that’s really going to change a lot. Skinny repeal could happen.

I just hope the GOP keeps fucking up and Dems win back the House and/or Senate before they’re able to succeed

Ogodei

When McCain is no longer able to serve that’s really going to change a lot. Skinny repeal could happen.

I just hope the GOP keeps fucking up and Dems win back the House and/or Senate before they’re able to succeed

Ducey gets to appoint McCain's interim replacement and he isn't 100% on board with McConnell's foolishness. Not where he should be, but he won't pick a Luther Strange-esque empty suit.

Jeels

It's a welfare vs. healthcare point of view that largely makes a difference. There are potential benefits to block grants and potential negatives. And without central governance the states could end up implementing wildly different systems.
And don't forget that states that did not expand Medicaid simply left money on the table. So the inequity is somewhat self inflicted.

I understand it was self inflicted but that's because it was a black man giving then the money. Now it's a white man so shouldn't we be happy that they take the money?

Ducey gets to appoint McCain's interim replacement and he isn't 100% on board with McConnell's foolishness. Not where he should be, but he won't pick a Luther Strange-esque empty suit.

Watch it be fucking McSally.

On the plus side: her now-vacant House seat would be an easier pickup, and she might lose to a Democrat in the 2018 special election.

On the negative side: Senator fucking McSally.

studyguy

New GOP plan for Dreamers.
DKlr3_WV4AAONut.jpg:large

tl;dr: At minimum don't get sick, accused of any crime, have any problems that require financial aid, or anything else for at least ten years. That's on top of however long you've already been here.

mfw my friend whose been here since we were toddlers and works as an engineer for a military base would still have to wait 10 more years. smh

PBY

Banned

tl;dr: At minimum don't get sick, accused of any crime, have any problems that require financial aid, or anything else for at least ten years. That's on top of however long you've already been here.

mfw my friend whose been here since we were toddlers and works as an engineer for a military base still has to wait 10 more years. smh

Fuck this.

Diablos

mfw my friend whose been here since we were toddlers and works as an engineer for a military base would still have to wait 10 more years. smh

If I were an immigrant and I had the luxury of choice — which I realize not all immigrants have — I’d go to Canada or Western Europe. I’d bail the fuck out of here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I'm curious--how does this compare to the immigration system of other similar countries, like Canada, England, etc.?

kess

There's no path to even attempt dialogue there. It's not an issue of finding the right evidence that would get them to rethink whether their position is the best solution to a problem; it's a question of whether evidence can even exist in the first place.

People like this are almost uniformly ignorant about the way government runs, how bills are formed, and what actually passes. Put the ball in their court-- ask them what Trump has actually managed to pass through congress. Remind them that John McCain isn't a Democrat. Watch them evade to social issues.

studyguy

I'm curious--how does this compare to the immigration system of other similar countries, like Canada, England, etc.?

The core issue is we're not talking about immigrants who are newly arrived, we're talking about immigrants who have been here for multiple decades. Most are around late 20s now. My friend is about to turn 30 in December.

kess

CBO and JCT would need at least several weeks to provide point estimates of the effects on the deficit, health insurance coverage, and premiums. During that time, the agencies would gather and analyze more information about states’ potential uses of the block grants and the extent to which states might modify rules governing the nongroup market.

Cassidy: It "saves" money and oh look Democrats can't make a declarative statement about it yet because it's being obfuscated and delayed 50 different ways.

Two new VA Gov polls.

Christopher Newport University

Northam (D): 47
Gillespie (R): 41

IMGE Insights (never heard of them before, neither had DailyKos):

Northam (D): 45
Gillespie: (R): 41

Teggy

They have to lie. It’s in their nature.

Leader McConnell @SenateMajLdr
Senate Ds have 2 thoughts on how to fix #Obamacare
1. Do nothing
2. A fully gov-run system that would take away even more of their decisions
4:45 PM · Sep 25, 2017

Also, point made on twitter, the bill won’t be pulled until the Alabama runoff because that would a but guarantee a Moore win (even though polls have him up by like 10pts anyway).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cassidy looks like that creepy old guy that kept working at the roller arena for like 20 years too long

This is super vague and doesn't tell us anything except that "millions will lose coverage," which is what we expected with how the GOP has handled this.

This whole thing is a damn mess. Just as the GOP wanted.

The actual total doesn't seem to matter. CNN is running with "MILLIONS WILL LOSE COVERAGE" and that's all that really matters

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

But they want to do tax reform on this next budget, and I don't think you can do two separate reconciliation bills on one budget. At least there hasn't ever been two reconciliation bills on one budget yet.

They could wrap it all into one bill, but that sounds like a surefire way to make tax reform fail too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom