• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
WA-05 (Spokane) got a pretty good challenger. Will be interesting to see if she can close the gap some; hasn't gone Dem since Tom Foley held that seat.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/aug/31/lisa-brown-former-lawmaker-and-wsu-chancellor-anno/

Axios put together a list of 2020 Dem candidates based on early conversations among campaign veterans, donors, potential staff members, etc. While this is basically the roughest of rough drafts (it includes Bob Iger and George Clooney lol), and there are plenty of the usual suspects on here, I thought these two bits were the most interesting:

I know Bullock has been on lists like these before, but if he's already looking at staffers, that seems like a pretty serious sign of his intentions. Also surprising that Chris Murphy might actually make a go at it (lol @ Tim Ryan though).

Not sure what to make of the "wants to be mentioned" next to Klobuchar...does that mean she wants to run and wants to get her name out there because nobody outside of Minnesota knows who she is? Or that she isn't that serious about running but wants people to think she is?

Here's the rest: https://www.axios.com/dems-begin-lining-up-2020-staff-cash-2480249930.html

It's Axios. I don't think it means anything. Any "buzz" is more likely coming from consulting groups eager to get hired than it is from any candidate's camp this far out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Axios put together a list of 2020 Dem candidates based on early conversations among campaign veterans, donors, potential staff members, etc. While this is basically the roughest of rough drafts (it includes Bob Iger and George Clooney lol), and there are plenty of the usual suspects on here, I thought these two bits were the most interesting:

I know Bullock has been on lists like these before, but if he's already looking at staffers, that seems like a pretty serious sign of his intentions. Also surprising that Chris Murphy might actually make a go at it (lol @ Tim Ryan though).

Not sure what to make of the "wants to be mentioned" next to Klobuchar...does that mean she wants to run and wants to get her name out there because nobody outside of Minnesota knows who she is? Or that she isn't that serious about running but wants people to think she is?

Here's the rest: https://www.axios.com/dems-begin-lining-up-2020-staff-cash-2480249930.html

John Kerry and Al Gore? LOL come on.

Ryan, a fast-rising Democrat from industrial Ohio, is challenging Democrats to take a different approach to big business and work with corporate America to create jobs.
We're are near, if not already at, full employment. Companies have jobs they cannot even fill because there are so few workers. Companies aren't going to create jobs when they can't even fill the ones they already have open.

So much for "fast rising Democrat." Stuff like this is career ending for a party that is moving increasingly left on issues like this.

kirblar

We're are near, if not already at, full employment. Companies have jobs they cannot even fill because there are so few workers. Companies aren't going to create jobs when they can't even fill the ones they already have open.

So much for "fast rising Democrat." Stuff like this is career ending for a party that is moving increasingly left on issues like this.
There's a reason that he's come at Pelosi multiple times and always missed.

There's a libertarian argument for cutting the corporate rate and increasing tax rates elsewhere. It's...not normal to be making that argument when the GOP is going to be presenting a plan where it's very unlikely that those counterweighted tax increases will be present!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
U-6 is at 9.2%, there is still be a reasonable amount of expansion that could be done. U-3 doesn't include 'discouraged labour' (people who have withdrawn from the job market due to lack of prospects), and 'underemployment' (people who would take more hours at the same or lesser wages).

I agree that more generally, though, the problem isn't job creation, it's worker bargaining power.

It's possible for every losing Democrat since 1980 to run in 2020.

Jimmy Carter's making a comeback tour! He will be 100 years old ending his second term in 2024.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure I could flip georgia if I ran.

ɐıƃɹoǝƃ

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's still easier to read than most place names in Wales tbf

You've not lived unless you've been to Ysbyty Ystwyth, or whiled away an afternoon in Bwlchgwyn.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The letter 'y' in Welsh is great - it's like the smallest possible vocalisation you can make, a vowel that's almost swallowed. You hear it in some northern English dialects, too - like when a Yorkshireman says "the", or rather "t'", like in t' Lion, t' Witch, and t' Wardrobe. There's something after the t, but it's not really an actual vowel, just... the promise of a vowel, a vowel in potentia.

Conventional English is the poorer for its absence.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're all just jealous you've never had a President with a name as good as Dafydd Llwyd.

CCS

Banned
You're all just jealous you've never had a President with a name as good as Dafydd Llwyd.

One of the best things about going to Jesus was the number of Welsh names everywhere. Knew two Dafydd's.

All together now, "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi..."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A man to take a stand against the encroaching invasion of foreign vowels.

Mostly he stood against the encroaching invasion of Germans while America did nothing.

We need to get rid of useless corporate Dems like Nancy Pelosi and listen to true progressives like Tim Ryan, who know that we need to abandon identity politics to focus on the really important issues like corporate tax cuts.
Tim Ryan?

Please, we need to elect DWS challenger Tim Caramelswirl to the House and then to the Speaker position, obviously, after the Justice Democrats sweep the midterm elections and all the establishment Democrats resign out of shame.

Tim Ryan?

Please, we need to elect DWS challenger Tim Caramelswirl to the House and then to the Speaker position, obviously, after the Justice Democrats sweep the midterm elections and all the establishment Democrats resign out of shame.

Agree. Tim Carandvan will drive the Dems into the future

Important Progressive Issues:

Corporate tax cuts
Proving the DNC murdered Seth Rich

Irrelevant Distractions:

Anything concerning anyone who's not a straight white cis male

There's a reason that he's come at Pelosi multiple times and always missed.

There's a libertarian argument for cutting the corporate rate and increasing tax rates elsewhere. It's...not normal to be making that argument when the GOP is going to be presenting a plan where it's very unlikely that those counterweighted tax increases will be present!

If the Republicans were willing to play ball on a revenue neutral tax reform that increased rates on the top earners in exchange for a lower corporate tax rate, I think we should go for it. I think that would be a winner electorally, as well. I doubt Republicans actually care about tax reform, though, beyond making sure the rich pay less.

Tim Ryan?

You know, technically, the Speaker of the House doesn't even need to be in the house.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Important Progressive Issues:

Corporate tax cuts
Proving the DNC murdered Seth Rich

Irrelevant Distractions:

Anything concerning anyone who's not a straight white cis male

I'm not sure I can physically roll my eyes any harder.

studyguy

1504217861523.png

lol

Were there some progressives rooting Tim Ryan to challenge Nancy Pelosi?

As in some widespread movement? No. But his name was floated about during the brief period when people were talking a lot about needing to replace Pelosi and his main thing was the whole "abandon identity politics and focus on the white working class" argument (and apparently what the white working class really wants is corporate tax cuts).

The other bit was a reference to Tim Canova, who tried to primary DWS and later became a Seth Rich truther.

Just having a little fun with people who were briefly considered progressive champions, but apparently Crab took it as some grand statement about internal party politics because, well, I don't know why.

I guess if you want to take any greater meaning out of that it would be that "anti-establishment" isn't always a good or progressive thing. You can be anti-establishment from the right (Tim Ryan) or because you're a literal conspiracy theorist (Tim Canova).

Tim Ryan did actually challenge Pelosi for the Minority Leader position.

Saw several friends on Facebook support it because Pelosi is old and wrinkly and gross. You know, the normal reasons to oppose a politician.

Politico article about Doug Jones, the Democratic nominee for the Alabama Senate race.

It would appear the Democrats are ignoring the race:

He’s cash-poor, outgunned and flying under the radar. Doug Jones, the Democrat running in the Alabama special election for Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ old Senate seat, is no Jon Ossoff.

Unlike Ossoff, the Georgia special election candidate who recently gained national prominence — and collected more cash than any House candidate, ever — due to his initial positioning as the face of the anti-Trump resistance, Jones has declined to make his opposition to Donald Trump the centerpiece of his campaign.

It’s proved to be a consequential decision in a party where antipathy toward the president is an animating force. While Jones would seem to be a perfect candidate for the post-Charlottesville moment — he’s a 63-year-old former U.S. attorney who prosecuted the pair behind the 1963 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham — national Democrats have largely ignored him. And grassroots donors have given him the cold shoulder, leaving Jones with less than $100,000 in cash on hand by the end of July, according to federal filings.

But:

Jones is looking more closely at the model of Archie Parnell, the little-noticed South Carolina Democrat who came surprisingly close to winning a congressional seat in June by organizing heavily but flying under the GOP radar.

Jones has gotten backing from a handful of big-name Democrats popular in the South and among African American voters, like former Vice President Joe Biden and civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis. And after he won his primary, Senate Democrats’ campaign wing sent out a handful of online fundraising appeals for Jones, while Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chair Chris Van Hollen sent him $5,000 through his leadership PAC.

National Democrats in Washington have discussed the best ways to get involved with the Alabama race in a series of Capitol Hill meetings, but for now they’ve decided to wait until the Republican run-off ends, believing a race against the more controversial Moore might give them a chance to swoop in helpfully, a handful told POLITICO.

Make no mistake, even if Moore wins the runoff this seat goes from Safe R to Likely R at best. Alabama is about as bad as it gets for the Democrats, but I think Jones and the national party are making the right moves here.

Blader

Politico article about Doug Jones, the Democratic nominee for the Alabama Senate race.

It would appear the Democrats are ignoring the race:

But:

Make no mistake, even if Moore wins the runoff this seat goes from Safe R to Likely R at best. Alabama is about as bad as it gets for the Democrats, but I think Jones and the national party are making the right moves here.

Yeah, I saw that story and agree that, given what happened with Quist and Ossoff and what almost happened with Parnell, probably better that the DNC/DSCC stay hands off, at least for the time being.

Paul Ryan pushing Trump not to act on DACA...

DIptZduXcAEXRJ1
Then pass a fucking bill you spineless twit.

Coffman's discharge petition makes me a bit more optimistic that something will get done here, but we'll see. I'm concerned it might get a decent majority, but not a vetoproof one, and who here trusts Trump to do the right thing re:immigration? Especially if all a law does is codify something Obama did.

The hypocrisy here is incredible. If DACA needs a legislative solution, why haven't you done anything about it yet? You've had years.
Well they've been beating the ACA repeal and replace drum for seven years and still had to write it in the last two hours on a cocktail napkin, so it's not like this is without precedence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom