• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Fox News all on the air discussing how threatening DACA is a Trump playing a chip to get Dems on board with immigration security (I'm assuming this is code for the wall). I can't tell if they even believe that drivel. As if Trump had a strategic bone in his body to even think like that, and even if he is this would be moronic strategy.

jtb

Banned
I'm sure Paul Ryan is more than happy to hold DACA hostage to get tax reform passed.

PSA had an interesting conversation yesterday arguing that the Dems should be open to a deal with the GOP to fund the wall in exchange for immigration reform (pathway to citizenship).

As in some widespread movement? No. But his name was floated about during the brief period when people were talking a lot about needing to replace Pelosi and his main thing was the whole "abandon identity politics and focus on the white working class" argument (and apparently what the white working class really wants is corporate tax cuts).

The other bit was a reference to Tim Canova, who tried to primary DWS and later became a Seth Rich truther.

Just having a little fun with people who were briefly considered progressive champions, but apparently Crab took it as some grand statement about internal party politics because, well, I don't know why.

I guess if you want to take any greater meaning out of that it would be that "anti-establishment" isn't always a good or progressive thing. You can be anti-establishment from the right (Tim Ryan) or because you're a literal conspiracy theorist (Tim Canova).

It seems like it was that some of progressives jumped on board with anyone that is Democratic or seemingly liberal, that's anti-establishment like you said, and when they say that they should be focused on the WWC. The progressives/liberals/etc immediately assume that the Democrat is talking about Social Democrat ideals.

I don't get why many people think WWC are secret progressives or something like that.

Blader

I'm sure Paul Ryan is more than happy to hold DACA hostage to get tax reform passed.

PSA had an interesting conversation yesterday arguing that the Dems should be open to a deal with the GOP to fund the wall in exchange for immigration reform (pathway to citizenship).

Yeah, they all pretty quickly jumped on the idea that pathway to citizenship and solidified protections for Dreamers would be a fair trade off for funding the wall. I don't know if I can ever really accept the idea of wall -- not just what it means morally and symbolically, but the fact that it would be a total waste of money -- but at the same time I don't know I would want to turn down a possibility of a pathway to citizenship and DACA either.

Maridia

Fox News all on the air discussing how threatening DACA is a Trump playing a chip to get Dems on board with immigration security (I'm assuming this is code for the wall). I can't tell if they even believe that drivel. As if Trump had a strategic bone in his body to even think like that, and even if he is this would be moronic strategy.

A lot of times, I think that Fox News isn't so much reporting what Trump is doing as they are signaling to him what he can do.

It seems like it was that some of progressives jumped on board with anyone that is Democratic or seemingly liberal, that's anti-establishment like you said, and when they say that they should be focused on the WWC. The progressives/liberals/etc immediately assume that the Democrat is talking about Social Democrat ideals.

I don't get why many people think WWC are secret progressives or something like that.

I mean, to be totally real here. There's a general tendency for people to latch on to anyone who tells them what they want to hear without applying any critical thought, then afterwards when it becomes clear that the person is an embarassment, just kinda handwave it away. Hence "I never supported Tim Ryan/Tim Canova/Tulsi Gabbard" or the similar "I've always thought Louise Mensch/Claude Taylor were total frauds."

Part of the reason people think that their preferred policies are the way to appeal to the white working class is simply that people like to project their beliefs onto everybody else. A common assumption is that there's an untapped majority out there that believes all the same things I do, and if only those politicians would whole-heartedly embrace those ideas, they would get overwhelming support.

I think he got tired of trying to pass big legislation so hes just doing what he can to energize his hardcore base. Calling the white supremacist good people and blamming the violence on peaceful protesters, pardoning arpio, now this.

kess

Yeah, they all pretty quickly jumped on the idea that pathway to citizenship and solidified protections for Dreamers would be a fair trade off for funding the wall. I don't know if I can ever really accept the idea of wall -- not just what it means morally and symbolically, but the fact that it would be a total waste of money -- but at the same time I don't know I would want to turn down a possibility of a pathway to citizenship and DACA either.

Trading a tangible object for something that is bound only by the respect and rule of law (which is routinely violated by ICE and Trump) is about the worst trade you could possibly make.

Gun to my head, I'd take this, but I don't like that it would maintain the current status of the immigration conversation which is centered on "no one is allowed in (some exceptions)."

It should really be "everyone is allowed in (some exceptions)."

Also let's remember that the entire reason Obama went the Executive Order route on DACA is because the legislative branch has completely broken down. If (a) they believe it's important to protect Dreamers and (b) legislation is the proper vehicle to do so, it's pretty clear where the blame lies.

jtb

Banned
Trading a tangible object for something that is bound only by the respect and rule of law (which is routinely violated by ICE and Trump) is about the worst trade you could possibly make.

If immigration reform is not a tangible way to protect undocumented immigrants, then what is?

Also let's remember that the entire reason Obama went the Executive Order route on DACA is because the legislative branch has completely broken down. If (a) they believe it's important to protect Dreamers and (b) legislation is the proper vehicle to do so, it's pretty clear where the blame lies.

What we really need is a mechanism to force votes. I loathe the idea that leadership can kill bills without actually voting no on the. It's pocket veto nonsense. If they don't want DACA, they should all have to vote no on it.

Trump ties his worst result in Gallup, 34/61. But, hey, he broke out of the 59-60 disapproval rut. Way to go!
He's been stuck at 34-35 for so long that if he actually hits 33 within the next couple of days I'll probably start dancing.

What we really need is a mechanism to force votes. I loathe the idea that leadership can kill bills without actually voting no on the. It's pocket veto nonsense. If they don't want DACA, they should all have to vote no on it.
In theory the discharge petition should allow for this, but because you need 218 votes that requires members to go against their party.

I don't know if there's a way you could allow the minority party to force votes without turning things into a madhouse and the minority deliberately gumming up the works. Imagine a Pelosi-led Congress that had to vote on ACA repeal every week.

Maybe each member of Congress can force one floor vote per term? I don't know.

Such a mechanism technically exists in the form of the discharge petition. However, people tend to be very cautious about using them for fear of upsetting the leadership and possibly facing reprisals (loss of committee seats, etc.)

In theory the discharge petition should allow for this, but because you need 218 votes that requires members to go against their party.

I don't know if there's a way you could allow the minority party to force votes without turning things into a madhouse and the minority deliberately gumming up the works. Imagine a Pelosi-led Congress that had to vote on ACA repeal every week.

Maybe each member of Congress can force one floor vote per term? I don't know.

I think a push to actually use the petition more frequently would help.

And yeah, I get the 218 votes thing, but that's largely my issue. If you put a "Pathway to Citizenship" bill up for a vote, I bet it would cross 218. There are enough vulnerable, anonymous Republicans who would vote yes along with Dems. But such a bill would never hit the floor.

Lmao that twitter handle, amazing. Can I get a link to the poll please?

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/903393928900202496

When voters know about our campaign, we beat @SpeakerRyan: 44-41. If you can, help us reach every voter in #WI01.

This was all I could find. The qualifier makes me thing that it's something like the preference expressed after the respondent has heard a pitch for Iron Stache and not reflective of voter preferences in general.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't care what the GOP ties to anything--democrats need to stand firm and make the republicans deal with the consequences of their actions.

"We'll fix this if you vote for us in 2018" should be the constant rallying cry.

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/903393928900202496

This was all I could find. The qualifier makes me thing that it's something like the preference expressed after the respondent has heard a pitch for Iron Stache and not reflective of voter preferences in general.
Yeah, informed ballot tests are never useful for head-to-head polling.

Still, I'd like to see IronStache succeed. Revenge for Tom Foley being ousted in 1994.

I don't care what the GOP ties to anything--democrats need to stand firm and make the republicans deal with the consequences of their actions.

"We'll fix this if you vote for us in 2018" should be the constant rallying cry.

Make the country deal with the consequences of the Republican's actions, you mean.

There's definitely no way they would deserve to win.

Why not? I'll trade a symbolic loss for a substantive victory any day of the week.

Blech no way. No dem should vote for a wall under any circumstances. It's 100% a terrible waste of money with absolutely nothing in return.

yamarei

Neo Member
Are a lot of the people shouting down the wall really thinking about the hypothetical? I mean the wall sucks, is useless, and completely driven by xenophobia.

But if it allows a broad immigration deal with real reform to pass with a path to citizenship, can/should democrats really say no to that? That's what I recall the hypothetical posed on PSA to be anyway.

Make the country deal with the consequences of the Republican's actions, you mean.

Why not? I'll trade a symbolic loss for a substantive victory any day of the week.

It's not a symbolic loss. Something like immigration policy can be changed and changed back by subsequent Congresses. A wall will be around for decades no matter what. An exorbitantly expensive symbol of hate.

pigeon

Banned

The Republicans got elected. It is their responsibility to govern, not the Democrat's responsibility to provide votes for bills they don't support because they are tied to must-pass legislation.

If the Republican Speaker needs Democratic votes to keep the government open then he's passing a coalition bill. It's going to have coalition priorities in it, not Republican ones.

Thankfully this is the kind of thing Pelosi excels at. Given her leadership and Ryan's inability to control his caucus, nothing is going to pass that Dems can't live with. Maybe we'll finally lose the medical device tax.

Building the wall is a substantive loss as well as a symbolic one.

Since Ryan already just said he doesn't want Dreamers to be in danger he should just put up a bill that does that. There is no reason for Democrats to believe they need to fund the wall to get that done.

pigeon

Banned
Are a lot of the people shouting down the wall really thinking about the hypothetical? I mean the wall sucks, is useless, and completely driven by xenophobia.

But if it allows a broad immigration deal with real reform to pass with a path to citizenship, can democrats really say no to that? That's what I recall the hypothetical posed on PSA to be anyway.

The question to ask is, who is going to vote for comprehensive immigration reform only because it funds the wall, and wouldn't otherwise?

Diablos

Paul Ryan pushing Trump not to act on DACA...

DIptZduXcAEXRJ1
THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE WORKED WITH OBAMA. Your fault. Obama said numerous times that he would have preferred legislation. The GOP was too busy trying to repeal the ACA and in some corners just double down on complete inaction and racist birther bullshit

This is so fucking infuriating.

Immigration reform will be a good thing but Trump will essentially take the credit for something Obama could have done YEARS ago.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Republicans got elected. It is their responsibility to govern, not the Democrat's responsibility to provide votes for bills they don't support because they are tied to must-pass legislation.

If the Republican Speaker needs Democratic votes to keep the government open then he's passing a coalition bill. It's going to have coalition priorities in it, not Republican ones.

Thankfully this is the kind of thing Pelosi excels at. Given her leadership and Ryan's inability to control his caucus, nothing is going to pass that Dems can't live with. Maybe we'll finally lose the medical device tax.

Building the wall is a substantive loss as well as a symbolic one.

Since Ryan already just said he doesn't want Dreamers to be in danger he should just put up a bill that does that. There is no reason for Democrats to believe they need to fund the wall to get that done.

This, and I'll add that I'm not a fan of democrats voting for anything that is clearly driven by racism like the wall is.

But if it allows a broad immigration deal with real reform to pass with a path to citizenship, can/should democrats really say no to that? That's what I recall the hypothetical posed on PSA to be anyway.

Yeah, I'm considering it. But I think it's important to distinguish between the mocking image of the wall and what it could be. Yes, it's not going to work as intended, but it would still go up over a large portion of the border. Some places will fight it, but others won't. That's a real thing, not just symbolic.

Again, if the bill on the table is "Fund the Wall or We'll Deport Kids" then I'd vote for it, but I don't intend to walk into that hostage situation or smile at it when presented.

THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE WORKED WITH OBAMA. Your fault. Obama said numerous times that he would have preferred legislation. The GOP was too busy trying to repeal the ACA and in some corners just double down on complete inaction and racist birther bullshit

This is so fucking infuriating.

Immigration reform will be a good thing but Trump will essentially take the credit for something Obama could have done YEARS ago.

I doubt these people who are DACA recipients or other immigrants who find themselves caught in the horrible position of possibly being deported and ripped away from their families give even the slightest fuck who gets credit for immigration reform if it happens.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, I'm considering it. But I think it's important to distinguish between the mocking image of the wall and what it could be. Yes, it's not going to work as intended, but it would still go up over a large portion of the border. Some places will fight it, but others won't. That's a real thing, not just symbolic.

Again, if the bill on the table is "Fund the Wall or We'll Deport Kids" then I'd vote for it, but I don't intend to walk into that hostage situation or smile at it when presented.

You shouldn't vote for that bill. The United States government does not negotiate with terrorists.

Diablos

I doubt these people who are DACA recipients or other immigrants who find themselves caught in the horrible position of possibly being deported and ripped away from their families give even the slightest fuck who gets credit for immigration reform if it happens.
Of course not but this could have been settled years ago. I'm sure immigrants would have rather had peace of mind many years ago when Republicans could have done the same fucking thing but denying Obama another legislative win was more important. Dems will vote for this even with Trump. The GOP couldn't find the will to do it with Obama. That's what pisses me off.

Are dems losing the argument that Antifa is a good movement? Republicans took control of the media narrative almost immediately and are screaming it across every rooftop in America that they are evil and terrorists.

The backlash is absolutely incredible and they're focusing more on Antifa being bad for property destruction and supposed beatings then Nazi's who want to commit genocide (and have also performed the same). They are unfortunately becoming much louder.

Should the movement rebrand, rename or re-organize? What should be talked about is how white supremacy is still around in America and how to combat that, not about the bad deeds of a select few idiots in Antifa.

jtb

Banned
You shouldn't vote for that bill. The United States government does not negotiate with terrorists.

So we let the hostages be deported? I mean, I agree with this argument - it's by far the strongest argument against any kind of deal with the Republicans.

Is it because it's the right thing to do (i.e. caving encourages more hostage taking) or because it will lead to electoral gain in 2018? Or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom