• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a Bernie fan by any stretch of the imagination but I really can't hold the Women's March thing against him. Declining with a recommendation for another speaker he wanted to elevate might have been a more elegant move, but I'm more curious about what chain of decisions led up to him being offered the invitation in the first place

Women's March is led by a lot of pretty radical folks, and they ruffled some feathers earlier by celebrating Angela Davis but not Hillary Clinton.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I understand why some women would be bothered by this, but I'm sure Bernie and his people recognized that declining the invitation would be a much worse look.

The big problem was miscommunication, because a ton of folks on twitter thought the Women's March were centering the whole event around Bernie.

Really? I feel like declining and either suggesting someone else or giving a statement on how he felt it should be a true women's march or saying he's just busy with stuff in congress would have easily gotten him out of any trouble. Getting out without looking bad would be easy as pie, a spokesman right out of school could do it.

Giving him a speech is fine, but they gave him a prominent one and you should be able to see how that'd tick some people off. I'm just saying I get why people would be miffed.

I don't really care, but when I saw the announcement my first thought was "shit he's actually going to run in 2020." Personally, and I've said this a lot before, I think both him and Clinton need to stay out of 2020 and only step in when it's time to endorse the winner.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I mean okay but again, why was Bernie going to be the opening speaker for the Women's March? Most of the radical women I follow on Twitter were upset precisely because Bernie's record on women's issues has been...well lets just say there's very valid critiques. Its an odd decision more than anything else

Idk, maybe after they asked Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand and Elizabeth Warren and got turned down by all of them they just wanted some kind of prominent Democrat represented among the speakers

Every Trump (sans Tiffany and Barron) is irredeemable trash. The media trying to paint Ivanka especially as a Moderate Darling is beyond fucked. She's just as complicit and awful as her brothers. She just wants to save face for PR reasons. She helped get her father elected. She can choke.

royalan

Eh, when you've heard one Bernie speech, you've heard 'em all. This announcement didn't bother me, although I understand why people are miffed. This man couldn't come up with something new to say even if it beat him in a primary by almost 4 million votes.

I'm most looking forward to the new Queen of the Democrats, Auntie Maxine. YAAAAASSS QUEEN.

The Technomancer

imagine still being mad about bernie sanders being in the 2016 primary

I'm pretty over any primary conflicts I think, except where the primary revealed larger problems I have with the man in general. I can't say the same for a lot of other people, both his supporters and his detractors, sadly

mlclmtckr

Banned
This is a message that’s going to play super well among less online Democratic women voters in 2020, looking forward to that one

uh you think "let's still be mad a Bernie" is going to be a key message for Democratic women in 2020? especially the less online ones?

8%.

pigeon

Banned
uh you think "let's still be mad a Bernie" is going to be a key message for Democratic women in 2020? especially the less online ones?

8%.

I forget how we got on this topic again, can somebody remind me? Something about a social media backlash because the Women’s March asked Bernie to speak?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I forget how we got on this topic again, can somebody remind me? Something about a social media backlash because the Women's March asked Bernie to speak?

Something like that. I mean, honestly, does anyone really care? I just thought there was something new that I missed.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I forget how we got on this topic again, can somebody remind me? Something about a social media backlash because the Women’s March asked Bernie to speak?

so in other words extremely online 8%ers got mad about it, yes

i was responding to the person above me. there aren't actually a ton of people IRL going fuck bernie he lost the primary yas kween auntie maxine (i mean seriously Jesus Christ)

pigeon

Banned

i was responding to the person above me. there aren't actually a ton of people IRL going fuck bernie he lost the primary yas kween auntie maxine (i mean seriously Jesus Christ)

How would...you know? I’m telling you, I know these people. I’m married to one. I’m not saying she’s representative of everyone, but I’m not convinced it’s going to be a good strategy to mock and dismiss all of them. But you know you gotta use the tools you have access to I guess

mlclmtckr

Banned
How would...you know? I’m telling you, I know these people. I’m married to one. I’m not saying she’s representative of everyone, but I’m not convinced it’s going to be a good strategy to mock and dismiss all of them. But you know you gotta use the tools you have access to I guess

You're married to someone who is an 8%er, but who isn't extremely online, but who would be alienated by me mocking them online?

I mean first of all I don't really care about how my words on an internet forum affect strangers' votes in 2020 but more importantly how is that even possible? These people for whom being mad at Bernie Sanders in 2017 is an important part of their politics have to be catered to by some asshole on a video game forum named mlclmtckr or else there will be bad electoral consequences in the next general?

Bernie Sanders, the guy who is currently polling better than the woman who beat him among every demographic including women and PoC. Whose primary supporters displayed more party loyalty in 2016 than Clinton's did in 2008. Resentment of that guy by the #resistance has to be taken seriously next election cycle?

I'm sorry, if you are a donut emoji 8%er yas kween die hard and you still feel the need to relitigate the primary or take these resentful potshots at Sanders and your 2020 vote is contingent on people not laughing at you for that then you're gonna have a tough election cycle.

chadskin

.@tvrain ivws Russian who was paid to comment in @nytimes, @washingtonpost and other US media. "Only via VPN, only bad things on Hillary"
Employees were forced to watch House of Cards in English, had lectures about US tax system https://tvrain.ru/teleshow/bremja_novostej/fabrika-447628/
https://twitter.com/mashant/status/919478944616910848

BernieBros did it for free ZING bye

For real, though, a lot has been said about the role of Facebook, Twitter and Pokemon Go but we shouldn't forget the comments sections of media outlets. They, too, have a responsibility.

royalan

What does Maxine Waters have to do with this other than me mentioning I'm excited for her keynote at the same convention.

I even stated I don't give a shit about this current controversy with Bernie Sanders. Until he says something new I frankly don't give a shit about him. I see WHY people are upset, though. And frankly, some people need to accept that Bernie Sanders is a current senator, and thus it is quite possible to criticize him without going back to the 2016 primary.

I wonder how many accounts on NeoGAF Russian Shills had/have.
The idea of weaponizing varied forms of internet free expression isn't a surprise to anyone on GAF I'd venture (console wars being a very basic form of it), and in hindsight we should have figured someone with enough resources might make a big enough effort of it to actually impact a large event. Hell, I'll use gamergate of what a few tens of thousands internet-savvy social media users without an actual core organizational structure can cause for havoc.

The actual Russian government with effectively unlimited resources and a pool of extremely talented personnel to lead and branch out? It's not at all a stretch to see how it was possible. It was a matter of if, and not when, someone was going to cause a massive manipulation operation against the US. China is probably kicking themselves wondering how they didn't think of this sooner.

No later revelations will surprise me. Players in MMOs? Key words in google text ads? Amazon product reviews? GAFfers? Stuff like that? None of that would surprise me. I'm, for lack of a better term, legitimately impressed by how well Russia played us. Not even angry any more, just impressed. Cheap to implement, even getting Americans to do a lot of the work against themselves. As Americans, for decades we were complacent that no outside influence could actually damage our national institutions. We were fools. Being halfway across the planet from anyone else doesn't work as a protection on the internet.

My only real outlet for frustration regarding all of this? Fuck social media.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
imagine still being mad about bernie sanders being in the 2016 primary

Imagine not being mad at Bernie
In the year 2017
No flame wars to kill and die for
and no memes about birdies
Imagine all the people living for today

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know why Gillibrand said no-- that seems odd to me-- but I thought Hillary Clinton was supposed to have her mouth and vagina stapled shut and she was supposed to go into the woods now. At least that's what the progressive caucus around here says.

dramatis

You're married to someone who is an 8%er, but who isn't extremely online, but who would be alienated by me mocking them online?

I mean first of all I don't really care about how my words on an internet forum affect strangers' votes in 2020 but more importantly how is that even possible? These people for whom being mad at Bernie Sanders in 2017 is an important part of their politics have to be catered to by some asshole on a video game forum named mlclmtckr or else there will be bad electoral consequences in the next general?

Bernie Sanders, the guy who is currently polling better than the woman who beat him among every demographic including women and PoC. Whose primary supporters displayed more party loyalty in 2016 than Clinton's did in 2008. Resentment of that guy by the #resistance has to be taken seriously next election cycle?

I'm sorry, if you are a donut emoji 8%er yas kween die hard and you still feel the need to relitigate the primary or take these resentful potshots at Sanders and your 2020 vote is contingent on people not laughing at you for that then you're gonna have a tough election cycle.
From the other side of the perspective, the so called 8%er had to eat that shit for months last year when it all really mattered, so surely you can spend the next couple of years enduring such.

If you are going to demand that the minority representation bloc should understand and empathize with your bloc, then the opposite should be extended, that you should try to understand and empathize with the—how would you put it?—"a donut emoji 8%er yas kween die hard". From my perspective, the attachment of sneers and insults by far doesn't indicate any attempt at unity on your end.

Come back when you actually care about women's opinions and treat them like equals and understand that the Sanders side will have to suffer some of what they dished out and still dish out now.

Oh god, I just remembered the donut seduction controversy. Nina Turner is nuts.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Come back when you actually care about women's opinions and treat them like equals and understand that the Sanders side will have to suffer some of what they dished out and still dish out now.

The still-with-her dead enders do not not represent "women's opinions" writ large - as in statistically most women do not feel that way - and trying to conflate mocking those dead enders with 'respecting women's opinions' is super gross tbh.

Sanders' 'side' dished it out during last year because there was a primary going on and that's how primaries work. Feeling the need to get back at Sanders a year later, after Clinton has already pretty disastrously lost the general election, is incredibly sad. It's not disrespectful of women, as a group, to disrespect the statistical minority of men and women who are still offended that Bernie did not sufficiently respect Clinton.

Speaking of gross:

I don't know why Gillibrand said no-- that seems odd to me-- but I thought Hillary Clinton was supposed to have her mouth and vagina stapled shut and she was supposed to go into the woods now. At least that's what the progressive caucus around here says.

Yeah I thought all you Bernie Bros wanted to inflict FGM on Hillary Clinton that's a normal and not extremely shitty thing to imply about someone

I mean seriously all these progressives going around talking about how Hillary Clinton should be sexually mutilated are definitely real and not a seriously sick figment of a diseased and uncharitable mind

They are the real sexists, not y2kev who uses women's bodies as props to be gruesomely harmed in disingenuous arguments

dramatis

The still-with-her dead enders do not not represent "women's opinions" writ large - as in statistically most women do not feel that way - and trying to conflate mocking those dead enders with respecting women's opinions is super gross tbh
I'm sure you know what most women feel like, if you evaluate them according to statistics.

Saw a report that premiums are already jumping up 20 percent in some states thanks to Trump's bullshit.

Let's see how strong his cult of personality actually is when his garbage followers can't afford insurance anymore.

In more respectable discussion, have media been grilling him on the entire diplomatic face of the nation being undercut too? Otherwise we're never going to get to the real heart of these matters (like the Corker vs Trump rapper twitter beef angle instead of THIS FUCKERS GOT NUKES AND HE'S LOSING IT MORE THAN EVER angle).

If you are going to refer to people as hilgaf or yas-kweeners, its clear you have zero interest in actual discussion let alone unity.

I think /r/chapotraphouse might be more your thing.

The Honorable Nina Turner, put some respect on her name

There ain't anything honorable about throwing a fit about DNC Donut Seduction.

Does she genuinely demand people refer to her as The Honorable Nina Turner or was that just an internet thing?

mlclmtckr

Banned
If you are going to refer to people as hilgaf or yas-kweeners, its clear you have zero interest in actual discussion let alone unity.

I think /r/chapotraphouse might be more your thing.

I was originally responding to a person who literally used yas queen on this page

And don't pretend like hilgaf was never a thing

You can keep on engaging in this weird petty obsession with Nina Turner and Chapo and Bernie and all of the other traditional Clintonite scapegoats if you want, I know it brings you comfort.

You can call me out for saying "yas queen" after someone I was responding to did, but not even react to the creep who said leftists want to staple Hillary Clinton's vagina shut.

But it's pretty rich that you would do all that and then wag your finger about unity.

And frankly, some people need to accept that Bernie Sanders is a current senator, and thus it is quite possible to criticize him without going back to the 2016 primary.

...your criticism of him literally directly mentioned the 2016 primary though

Y2Kev

The still-with-her dead enders do not not represent "women's opinions" writ large - as in statistically most women do not feel that way - and trying to conflate mocking those dead enders with 'respecting women's opinions' is super gross tbh.

Sanders' 'side' dished it out during last year because there was a primary going on and that's how primaries work. Feeling the need to get back at Sanders a year later, after Clinton has already pretty disastrously lost the general election, is incredibly sad. It's not disrespectful of women, as a group, to disrespect the statistical minority of men and women who are still offended that Bernie did not sufficiently respect Clinton.

Speaking of gross:

Yeah I thought all you Bernie Bros wanted to inflict FGM on Hillary Clinton that's a normal and not extremely shitty thing to imply about someone

I mean seriously all these progressives going around talking about how Hillary Clinton should be sexually mutilated are definitely real and not a seriously sick figment of a diseased and uncharitable mind

They are the real sexists, not y2kev who uses women's bodies as props to be gruesomely harmed in disingenuous arguments

This is such an outrageous post from someone I find normally agreeable that I know I've struck a nerve.

1. There is a large progressive contingent (I didn't say Bernie Bros-- grow up) that wants her to shut up. They post here. It's not hard to find a lot of posts.
2. I don't think "stapling your mouth and vagina shut" is any actually recognized or practiced form of genital mutilation. Can you please control yourself? It was a joke. Don't try to distract from the point I was making, which is that a large number of progressives have said they do not want her to represent the Democratic party at all, to some comment on sexism and normalizing genital mutilation. Jesus. I wasn't even thinking about that.

mlclmtckr

Banned
This is such an outrageous post from someone I find normally agreeable that I know I've struck a nerve.

1. There is a large progressive contingent (I didn't say Bernie Bros-- grow up) that wants her to shut up. They post here. It's not hard to find a lot of posts.
2. I don't think "stapling your mouth and vagina shut" is any actually recognized or practiced form of genital mutilation. Can you please control yourself?

so...

1) Progressives, not Bernie Bros, fair enough. But, uh,

2) It's still extremely gross to imply that those progressives want Hillary Clinton to mutilate her genitalia, whether or not the actual use of staples is, like, the traditional method of FGM in the real world.

I don't really see how stapling not being "recognized or practiced" in like sub-Saharan Africa has any bearing on the fact that it's extremely messed up to say that people you disagree with politically want sexual violence and mutilation to be inflicted on Hillary Clinton.

I'd say that it's much more sexist to use a woman's body as a prop in that kind of an argument than it is to tell her to go away after losing an election, actually.

Y2Kev

OK well you can keep going on about how I was talking about genital mutilation and how that is sexist or you can take my word for it that I was not and maybe actually discuss what I was talking about. Or we can just ignore that and continue talking about what is more sexist because I guess that's a fundamentally interesting topic of conversation.

I don't know why Gillibrand said no.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Y'all need some prayer this Sunday morning

Actually you guys are right I am clearly extremely mad online right now (and yesterday) and I'm not sure why.

Kev I do think that argument is extremely problematic but yeah I'm also clearly being unfair to you about it and taking the most uncharitable reading I can in order to make a point which is shitty and also, like, just lame.

I'm gonna take an internet break and like go outside.

Which is not to say that my opinions on any of this stuff have really moderated or changed, but I'm being a combative asshole to people and attacking their character, trying to score points instead of argue. So it's time for a break.

Kirblar your problem isn't that you take things too literally if anything it's the exact opposite.

The Technomancer

How did Bernie do in 2016 again? Oh wait that's right, Clinton "handed Trump the presidency" but Bernie "had his presidency cheated from him"

Why can't we fucking get over this. Bernie has some shitty sides to him and people call him out on those shitty sides or have valid reasons to be skeptical of him as a politician. Not everything has to be about this petty fucking feud that you honestly seem to be the one unable to let go of, since I don't think any of us introduced the topic of 2016 until you

mlclmtckr

Banned
Not everything has to be about this petty fucking feud that you honestly seem to be the one unable to let go of, since I don't think any of us introduced the topic of 2016 until you

Then you should have a quick look at post number 14660, you know, the post that started this part of the discussion and that I responded to

OK now I'm really gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom