• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

yursnhere

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but i have a question about Human Resources.

Do they exist basically to try and prevent employee's from reporting things to their lawyer or to the police? Basically a self regulating entity within the company itself?

Some stories i've read lately are leading me to believe that HR is not a great place to report things to....

Yes, the purpose of HR is to protect the company from the employees.

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but i have a question about Human Resources.

Do they exist basically to try and prevent employee's from reporting things to their lawyer or to the police? Basically a self regulating entity within the company itself?

Some stories i've read lately are leading me to believe that HR is not a great place to report things to....

HR people are complete corporate lapdogs looking out for the company above the employee at all times. Remember that movie with Clooney firing people? Up in the air I think. That’s them. I do not envy anyone who does it for a living.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It’ll happen right after NYC gets taken out by a tsunami, and the West coast of California slides into the ocean after an earthquake, three days before the election. Otherwise lol.

NYC could be hit by a hurricane and we'd still drag our lifeless bodies to the polls just to vote against Trump.

sphagnum

Banned

My mother was probably the only HR person who ever thought about the employees first. When I was complaining to her some years back about HR at my workplace she was shocked, shocked!!!, that HR would be looking out for the company's interest.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When I was an hr director I didn't see my role as protecting the company. I considered myself an intermediary and took the employees into consideration every time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My experiences with HR in small to medium sized companies have only been positive. Large companies are often different, from what I gather

Also I just thought about the name "human resources" for the first time and oof, when was that coined?

Holmes

I work for a large biotech company and my experiences with HR have been positive. In fact they really prepped me for my interview before I went in.

pigeon

Banned
Companies run by acquiring and utilizing resources. Some of those resources are financial; some physical; some legal; some human.

In every case, the company’s goal is to strike the best balance between quality of resources and cost of acquisition and maintenance. Obviously you’d always like to have the best resources, and to be in legal compliance in managing them (because to do otherwise is expensive in itself), but if they suddenly become way more expensive or problematic to deal with, a purely financial calculation will say that cutting them loose is more efficient than keeping them around.

That is how Human Resources departments operate. Sometimes they’ll help you. Sometimes they won’t. It all depends on the cost-benefit analysis.

Ryuuroden

Does anyone's costs even get lowered after Trump slashed payments? I was under the impression without the money, premiums mostly just go up to compensate.

They go up and since the govt pays a percentage to help families on plans up to 4 times over the poverty level it's being estimated that it will cost an additional 200 billion dollars in individual plan subsidies due to ending the provider subsidies. Basically trumps EO is going to increase govt costs astronomically long term since the amount it will have to pay subsidies to individuals will skyrocket. The people being fucked the most are families of 4 making more than 97000 dollars since those families don't qualify

pigeon

Banned
I will say I accepted the gospel of Bernie a lot sooner than my wife, and she’s not very political. People are going to resent him. Probably better you know!

The best chance is to become part of Maryland or Virginia so they can get a House Rep and have influence on who they vote for in the senate, etc. Statehood with two extra senators isn’t going to happen.
Nope. It absolutely needs to happen next time we get full control of government.

Make a new state + shrink the district borders to around the capita and award the district's EVs to whoever wins the popular vote. Easy.

D.C. is its own thing. It's not VA or MD. That shit sailed long ago for it to fold into one of those states.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He didn’t really do anything new. The women’s march invited him to be an opening speaker for their event. Some women are dissatisfied with this choice.

I mean, I can see that. It is the Women's March. I'm sure it's "like, you couldn't find a woman to talk about that stuff?"

mlclmtckr

Banned
I mean, I can see that. It is the Women's March. I'm sure it's "like, you couldn't find a woman to talk about that stuff?"

There are like 58 women speaking and 2 men including Bernie, who isn't the keynote speaker. (Hillary Clinton was asked and said no BTW.)

Even the really, really red counties in SW Virginia gave Clinton like 15% of the vote. Obviously that's super lopsided, but it's not that far fetched that someone from there would be a "real" Democrat.

If there's a conflict between company and employees, HR is going to do what's ultimately best for the company. But the vast bulk of what they do doesn't involve conflict, it's stuff like administering benefits or dealing with odd exceptions. And for those, they tend to be very employee friendly.

I deal with HR a lot as there are a significant number of people under me. Our HR is generally generous (because e they want to keep employees happy and they can generally afford to).

Nope. It absolutely needs to happen next time we get full control of government.

Make a new state + shrink the district borders to around the capita and award the district's EVs to whoever wins the popular vote. Easy.

D.C. is its own thing. It's not VA or MD. That shit sailed long ago for it to fold into one of those states.
Is full control of the gov even enough? Thought you needed a 2/3rd majority of both houses AND 23rds of the states to approve of a new one

HR people are complete corporate lapdogs looking out for the company above the employee at all times. Remember that movie with Clooney firing people? Up in the air I think. That’s them. I do not envy anyone who does it for a living.

HR is basically the conduit through which you confront an employee without interacting with them. Normally sexual harassment, racism or any dipshit behavior is reported through them and yes, including firing.

Teggy

DMJ5RyhUIAAtF0W

Pixieking

Banned
Why do they hate her so much? I'd be inclined to say she's the only one who's nice, just based on everyone else being bastards to her. But that's rather flawed logic, so...

Valhelm

contribute something

I understand why some women would be bothered by this, but I'm sure Bernie and his people recognized that declining the invitation would be a much worse look.

The big problem was miscommunication, because a ton of folks on twitter thought the Women's March were centering the whole event around Bernie.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a Bernie fan by any stretch of the imagination but I really can't hold the Women's March thing against him. Declining with a recommendation for another speaker he wanted to elevate might have been a more elegant move, but I'm more curious about what chain of decisions led up to him being offered the invitation in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom