• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump's gimp Jeff Sessions is the one that gets to announce he's ending daca tomorrow. Bet the keebler elf is thrilled.

DI69txZXkAA-yks.jpg

No questions after

I hope Trump fires his ass for something dumb.

Pixieking

Banned
How big business is trying to convince Congress to save the ‘Dreamers' from Trump

Robbins said the national business coalition, founded by former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg to advocate for immigration reform, will have more than 100 corporate and conservative leaders lined up in at least 15 states by Tuesday to begin pressuring Congress to act.

The lobbying will take the form of private meetings both in Washington and in members' home districts, letters to member of Congress, newspaper op-eds and public events, Robbins said.

The renewed pressure on Congress comes on top of a petition that more than 400 business executives — from Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon and other companies — have signed urging Trump and Congress to protect the ”Dreamers," 97 percent of whom are in school or in the workforce.

Over the weekend, executives from a diverse array of companies, including AT&T, Wells Fargo, Best Buy, Ikea and Kaiser Permanente, added their names to the letter.

Is it feasible to pressure the companies who have yet to sign up, in order for them to pressure congress? Or is it better to leave the businesses to their own plan, and for everyday folk to just contact representatives?

chadskin

Rick Wilson‏Verified account @TheRickWilson 26m26 minutes ago
More
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Next week is
┳┻|⊂ノ going to be nuts.
┻┳|
DI7ZbzuV4AEwBIb.jpg

heh

People's livelihoods aren't ponies. Bernie is for $15/hr. Hillary was for $12/hr. I'm glad Hillary is for the $12 Pony. $15 Pony is what the people are asking for however. You know, something resembling a living wage.

If you guys don't give the people what they want you'll be disappointed again. But please proceed Poligaffers with your "hot fire" yelps. Amazing how the author just kind of white washes corporate money(too much time with them? Ya think? Like a whole month in California when you should have been in Wisconsin?) while then refocussing attacks on Bernie in the very next line saying he's too hard on the Democrats(white page posted).

Also must wonder about the Pony remark hitting Bernie's Polish heritage. The Seinfeld episode with the lady who had a pony was from Poland. Do you ever hear about ponies outside of My Little Pony or that Seinfeld episode anywhere? No, strange analogy.

Bernie for all of his ambitious ideas did have plans to pay for them. Amazing how that side of the story is not told with this propaganda. Instead let's talk about ponies and how you were treated unfairly by Bernie, Bernie supporters and the media. Cry me a river. Ponies need to drink.

Pixieking

Banned
DI5aqwWXUAIELsZ.jpg

This is good

Fuuuuuuck meeeee!

*cough* Sorry. Oh, this is going to be sweet. The OT is going to be nuclear, for sure, but god damn, this is going to be awsome!

I'm tempted to make the OT myself. :D

Edit:

People's livelihoods aren't ponies. Bernie is for $15/hr. Hillary was for $12/hr. I'm glad Hillary is for the $12 Pony. $15 Pony is what the people are asking for however. You know, something resembling a living wage.

If you guys don't give the people what they want you'll be disappointed again.

The point is that Hillary was being realistic, Bernie was promising the world, and the narrative was twisted perpetually against Hillary. Did she promise as big as Bernie? No. Did she promise things which were actually possible? Yup.

Not Miss Lindsey Graham being a hypocrite! Clutch my pearls!

Oh, I get to be extra passive-aggressive to ensure a Yes vote and lots of arm-twisting out of him in my next call/email.

Jesus Christ. Ok, I'm officially starting the Trump Impeachment Prediction Competition. Quote this post and post whether you think Trump will be impeached or not, with an optional over/under. Deadline is next week.

I'm not doing this. Nothing makes sense now. Could be better than hoped, worse than feared, or anything in between now.

She's not even really wrong but damn the OT for that will be nuclear

And every one will think "I'm helping!"

Pixieking

Banned
Please don't

Awwwwwww! *pout*

I am genuinely tempted to create an OT for the book, because it seems like there'll be a lot to discuss and unpack from it. But I doubt that there'll be reasonable discussion about it any time soon. I may leave it a month or so, and then do it.

Hell, it's not even out for another week, so maybe these excerpts will have blown over by then? Maybe?

Trump so fucking excited to end Daca he couldn't even contain himself. Also I still don't understand that Rick wilson tweet. It seems like someone is climbing a wall and looking over their shoulder.

Tweet seems really stupid considering North Korea just tested a hydrogen bomb, he’s about to take action to ruin roughly a million lives for no reason, and we could be dealing with a category five hurricane within the week. But what do I know.

She's not even really wrong but damn the OT for that will be nuclear

I look forward to the usual posters invoking their stupid persecution complexes.

Can't be worse then those times when one complained about sjws ruining feminism or calling black supporters of Hillary Clinton black nationalists.

Awwwwwww! *pout*

I am genuinely tempted to create an OT for the book, because it seems like there'll be a lot to discuss and unpack from it. But I genuinely doubt that there'll be reasonable discussion about it any time soon. I may leave it a month or so, and then do it.

Hell, it's not even out for another week, so maybe these excerpts will have blown over by then? Maybe?

Do it. It would amuse me. I made the Nina Turner Donut Bribery thread. Its gotta be someone else's turn.

Foffy

Banned
Awwwwwww! *pout*

I am genuinely tempted to create an OT for the book, because it seems like there'll be a lot to discuss and unpack from it. But I genuinely doubt that there'll be reasonable discussion about it any time soon. I may leave it a month or so, and then do it.

Maybe I'm weird, but from the two screenshots on this page, I don't see anything...offensive?

I do think her bit about ponies is a bit off when you consider her pivot from the minimum wage issue and the disgusting normalization remark she gave when Bernie talked about other first world nations, but that's just her side and her view. That's not exactly "bad."

"Bad" would be the duality of certain opinions she has that contrast her public and private views. GAF knows I'm a hooker for UBI, and this is one clear example where what she said and what she intended were two different things, and I find that kind of "playing politics in public" to be sketchy as all hell.

But I know why she's done that, which is why I didn't feel my cortisol spike when she was the ticket on the Dem side.

Pixieking

Banned
Do it. It would amuse me. I made the Nina Turner Donut Bribery thread. Its gotta be someone else's turn.

I'll do it properly (less chance of being banned. :p ). I've got her book pre-ordered on Kindle, so will start reading on day of release, and then post an OT after I'm through some chapters.

The "Here's some excerpts from her book" thread would be funny, but also most likely get me banned for baiting (anyone who sees my post history will know I'm pro-Hillary, so...).

Maybe I'm weird, but from the two screenshots on this page, I don't see anything...offensive?

I do think her bit about ponies is a bit off when you consider her pivot from the minimum wage issue and the disgusting normalization remark she gave when Bernie talked about other first world nations, but that's just her side and her view. That's not exactly "bad."

"Bad" would be the duality of certain opinions she has that contrast her public and private views. GAF knows I'm a hooker for UBI, and this is one clear example where what she said and what she intended were two different things, and I find that kind of "playing politics in public" to be sketchy as all hell.

But I know why she's done that, which is why I didn't feel my cortisol spike when she was the ticket on the Dem side.

This is the thing - I don't think they're offensive, either. They're truthful for her perspective - and, up to a point, they're objectively truthful, too. But it's Shillary giving her opinions on Bernie, and that's... controversial. And it's going to have people arguing about what she's saying. In the context of the wider book, it'll seem better - both more objective, and more subjective - but the release of these two pages seem like it's just someone setting up the sides to relitigate the primary.

yeah, like, can we please not talk about intentionally antagonizing people on OT so i don't have to spend half that thread throwing people on my ignore list again

I will own up to the fact that I am a petty asshole.

Awwwwwww! *pout*

yeah, like, can we please not talk about intentionally antagonizing people on OT so i don't have to spend half that thread throwing people on my ignore list again

I suppose you guys are right. Do it properly.

Maengun1

And of course on the occasions when Hillary and Bernie's positions lined up exactly, she was just "copying" him those times. Which was also bad, for some reason. Almost like there was literally no winning play with some people...

as;lkdjf;laksdjf;sdkjflasdjf sorry I can't go back to 2016 mode

Yea it seems like you guys just weren't satisfied with Bernie losing.... and then Hilary losing.

I guess you still gotta keep going back to that well.

It's not like the worst case scenario is President or anything.

The point is that Hillary was being realistic, Bernie was promising the world, and the narrative was twisted perpetually against Hillary. Did she promise as big as Bernie? No. Did she promise things which were actually possible? Yup.

Bernie's goal was to think big not small. To appeal to people's better natures. We are the richest nation on the planet and we can do better. Why do all these other nations have guaranteed healthcare and we don't? We're in the same group as Papau New-Guinea. 90% of Americans couldn't find that on a map. Because like healthcare, our education system is a joke. Bernie is for investing in people whether it be in work, healthcare or education while Hillary took a more pragmatic status-quo approach of top down Patriarchy. You'll only get what we give you so don't bother to ask for more.

If you think the world was fine before Trump was elected and the status-quo is the best, Hillary was definitely the candidate for you. And that's where Democratic voters were in 2016.

If you want some real change, Bernie was the candidate for you. He had the audacity of hope.

Don't tell me Bernie didn't have plans to pay for things though and was just trying to upstage her with a better pony that he knew would never come to fruition. That simply isn't true. Bernie listened to the people. $15/hour. That's what people are out there today, Labor Day, protesting for...Hillary not acknowledging people's demands and is fine with people working 40+ hours a week tells me, and everyone else, she isn't listening or doesn't care and is fine with the way things are right now.

Trump I don't think knows what the heck he is ever talking about but he does know how to parrot the people. It's that ability that got him elected over Hillary. He just straight up listened to Bernie talk about jobs and the working class and stole that whole line of attack. It's a skill Hillary doesn't have because she doesn't listen to the people. She listens to her close advisers and that's about it. At all of our peril.

Trump outworked her. She is off raising money for months at a time while never stepping foot in Wisconsin and Trump was holding rallies in front of thousands. The optics to an uneducated American mind would seem to be Trump is a man of the people and Hillary is a corporate shrill who doesn't care about you.

Hillary's campaign was really out of touch. But yeah, continue to praise her efforts if you want. All I'm saying is I don't get it. The deflection from these 2 pages of the book is just a reminder why I don't like her. She's not genuine.

Teggy

Maggie Haberman's reaction to anything that Hillary Clinton does is the personification of the bitch/crackers gif. Maybe she shot her dog.

Foffy

Banned
Bernie's goal was to think big not small. To appeal to people's better natures. We are the richest nation on the planet and we can do better. Why do all these other nations have guaranteed healthcare and we don't? We're in the same group as Papau New-Guinea. 90% of Americans couldn't find that on a map. Because like healthcare, our education system is a joke. Bernie is for investing in people whether it be in work, healthcare or education while Hillary took a more pragmatic status-quo approach of top down Patriarchy. You'll only get what we give you so don't bother to ask for more.

If you think the world was fine before Trump was elected and the status-quo is the best, Hillary was definitely the candidate for you. And that's where Democratic voters were in 2016.

If you want some real change, Bernie was the candidate for you. He had the audacity of hope.

Don't tell me Bernie didn't have plans to pay for things though and was just trying to upstage her with a better pony that he knew would never come to fruition. That simply isn't true. Bernie listened to the people. $15/hour. That's what people are out there today, Labor Day, protesting for...Hillary not acknowledging people's demands and is fine with people working 40+ hours a week tells me, and everyone else, she isn't listening or doesn't care and is fine with the way things are right now.

Trump I don't think knows what the heck he is ever talking about but he does know how to parrot the people. It's that ability that got him elected over Hillary. He just straight up listened to Bernie talk about jobs and the working class and stole that whole line of attack. It's a skill Hillary doesn't have because she doesn't listen to the people. She listens to her close advisers and that's about it. At all of our peril.

Trump outworked her. She is off raising money for months at a time while never stepping foot in Wisconsin and Trump was holding rallies in front of thousands. The optics to an uneducated American mind would seem to be Trump is a man of the people and Hillary is a corporate shrill who doesn't care about you.

Hillary's campaign was really out of touch. But yeah, continue to praise her efforts if you want. All I'm saying is I don't get it. The deflection from these 2 pages of the book is just a reminder why I don't like her. She's not genuine.

To be fair, I think a "criticism" one can make to Clinton is that she has ideas that could at least help get those on the right on board, as she has a bit of "wiggle room" to her ideas compared to Sanders' "politics of paradise."

We tend to overlook that we have a normalized terrorist organization known as the GOP that practically has half the country in its power just on binary politics alone. Sanders ideas could work for a society based on reason, but Clinton's ideas at least could work knowing the actual tumor on the country.

I dig Sanders, and if I had the choice I'd haved like him to be the Dems nomination, but that came with the caveat that I knew that if the GOP had any power at all, he'd get nothing done, and potentially the same with Clinton, though I thought less in her case.

We keep overlooking the "genuine problem" because a choice between Sanders and Clinton is a choice between ideals and scope. That works great if we didn't have an unreasonable mammoth that's an anchor to any ship of progress we aim for.

Many of us overlook the problem of conservatism and "Reagan's children" because for many of us, we see it as intrinsically irredeemable and without value. Too bad that is not actually the case in the bloodstream of American thought.

Pixieking

Banned

Hillary was a politician. I will never deny that. But part of being a politician is knowing what's possible, not just in terms of finances, but in terms of political will. What congress will let you do. What states will let you do. I think it's fantastic that Bernie talked big, but at the same time, I think he led people astray with what was politically possible, especially in these hyper-partisan times. We see what the GOP did to Obama, and we call it out as racism. Pretend Bernie actually won instead of Trump, but all else remains the same - same minority with representatives and senators. Do you think the GOP wouldn't have obstructed Bernie because he was "a commie"? Honestly?

It's fine to think Hillary wasn't genuine. Ironically(?), I think Bernie the least genuine person I've seen run for Presidency, simply because of his willingness to think and talk big, without showing how political politics really is. *shrugs* :)

We keep overlooking the "genuine problem" because a choice between Sanders and Clinton is a choice between ideals and scope. That works great if we didn't have an unreasonable mammoth that's an anchor to any ship of progress we aim for.

Phrased it way better than I ever could.

Lois_Lane

Don't worry, Bernie will run again in 2020 to pit Democrats against each other once again.

Why must you summon my nightmares?

On topic:

What major legislation has Bernie even succeed at? What major position besides US senator has he achieved? I just don't understand this devotion to this dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom