• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GlennThrush:

lol

lol.

CLarke shows up

trump " clarke I got a position for you!"

Kelly: *shuts door on clarke proceeds to tell secret service to remove him from white house grounds*

"trump, there is no way in which clarke will ever have a position in this office or government. Am I clear."

Trump: "fine he'll work for my super pac"

This is the kind of thing that makes me think the Republicans forced Kelly on Trump and said "He stays and makes the decisions or we impeach." Like why wouldn't Trump just go over Kelly's head on Clarke unless he was scared to?

Not sure if the DACA policy was posted here but this is what the Sessions will be announcing as per ABC:

According to the two administration officials, here's the policy to be announced.

The administration won't consider new applications for legal status dated after Sept. 5.

If you are not already protected by the program, you are out of luck, although applications filed before Tuesday that are pending will continue to be processed.

Anyone who has a DACA permit expiring between now and March 5, 2018, can apply for a two-year renewal. That application must be submitted by Oct. 5.

Some Dreamers, those with permits that expire between now and March 5, will be eligible for legal status for another two-plus years. For others, legal status ends as early as March 6.

This is the kind of thing that makes me think the Republicans forced Kelly on Trump and said "He stays and makes the decisions or we impeach." Like why wouldn't Trump just go over Kelly's head on Clarke unless he was scared to?

? He was homeland security advisor and completely fine with the muslim ban. He is a trump supporter period.

Oh and Steve King being his usual evil piece of shit self.

Steve King

Former #DACA's will make great "Peace Corp" volunteers in home countries. None would take more hardship or risk than we ask of Peace Corp.

As much as people have a right to believe that the GOP hasn't done this given how they've handled this so far, I would not be surprised if they did say this to him behind the scenes

Slayven

End of the day Clarke is black and I don't see Trump fighting that hard for him.

If this were true, Clarke would have been in no problem. I'm not saying that Kelly doesn't agree with Trump on some shit but I don't think the guy is supporting Trump as much as managing him.
Kobach has would have ended up number 2 at DHS if that were true as well. Kelly blocked that appointment.

Blader

? He was homeland security advisor and completely fine with the muslim ban. He is a trump supporter period.

Kelly seems more apolitical than strictly pro-Trump. Not that he doesn't have his own hardline immigration views, but his stance often seems to be "it's my job to enforce the law, if you don't like it then change the law."

"Please come campaign for me, Mr. President. Roy Moore is pushing my shit in right now."

DI9xw7_UMAQwU9h

dramatis

Sadly, I am not the UK electorate.
So you are neither, which means you have very little in common with us or them.

To be frank it's more appalling that you are of the idea that things would be so much better if you yourself was the primary electorate. Go on, advocate for how the vote should be limited to people who share your ideology. I'm sure there are plenty of undemocratic states out there willing to house you.

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur 1h1 hour ago
More
CONGRESS TO-DO

•Harvey relief
•Fund govt
•Raise debt limit
•Extend CHIP
•Renew FAA
•Flood insurance $
•Stabilize ACA
•Tax cuts/reform
•DACA

"It's gonna be so easy folks"

As expected. Trump is vile, his administration is vile, and a majority of the country has no problem with DACA, so this again is just Trump fellating his shrinking base of racists.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To be frank it's more appalling that you are of the idea that things would be so much better if you yourself was the primary electorate. Go on, advocate for how the vote should be limited to people who share your ideology. I'm sure there are plenty of undemocratic states out there willing to house you.

I shall put a little sticker on my posts in future saying 'tongue in cheek', for the hard of humour among us.

So the arguement Sessions made was DACA is unconstitutional because Congress was circumvented, but the Muslim Ban is fine and falls under presidential powers? 🤔

dramatis

Duke said no current beneficiaries will be affected before March 5 of next year. But she said, "No new initial requests or associated applications filed after today will be acted on."
Immigration and Customs Enforcement says its enforcement priorities have not changed. It has no plans to target DACA holders as their permits expire. They will be eligible for deportation but a low priority.

The USCIS generally has not referred cases in which a person's DACA application is denied to immigration enforcement authorities unless the case involves a criminal offense, fraud or a threat to national security or public safety.

NPR article
At the moment there are at least two bipartisan bills that could grant legal status or create a pathway to citizenship for those who were eligible for DACA. In July, Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., introduced a new version of the DREAM Act, after which the DREAMers are named. And a companion bill was filed in the House by Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., and Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif.

Additionally, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., introduced the American Hope Act. While Rep. Carlos Curbelo, R-Fla., introduced the Recognizing America's Children Act, a plan that has some support in his party.
Not sure if someone has done a comparison between these three pieces of legislation.

iavi

So the arguement Sessions made was DACA is unconstitutional because Congress was circumvented, but the Muslim Ban is fine and falls under presidential powers? ��

An executive order is executive overreach unless it's your favorite doing it. /s

The amount of Trumpers I've heard praising the muslim ban that were crying about Obama's EO's being unconstitutional is almost enough to have me quit following politics.

Blader

The Republicans advocating for the elimination of the Senate's filibuster make no sense to me. Do they honestly believe they'll control the Senate forever? Do they know how quickly and how hard their most hated liberal policies are going to be pushed the second the Senate has 51 Dems?

So the arguement Sessions made was DACA is unconstitutional because Congress was circumvented, but the Muslim Ban is fine and falls under presidential powers? 🤔

DACA and the Muslim ban are completely different though? Not that the Muslim ban isn't also unconstitutional, but the executive having the power to prevent certain people from entering the country is a different position than the executive having the power to unilaterally protect people from being forced out.

TheSun

Right, my family is going on about some shit. Again.

So, without further ado some of their points:

1. Well I get where they're (people pro daca) but we need a strongera border. We can't just let anybody in. This is the main point they trot out.

2. There are bad kids that get through.
(this comes off as just bullshit excuse making)

3. Paris attacks was from lax border control.

4. Every country is more strict about "illegals"

Hope you guys can clarify for them.

So is a packed legislative agenda common for Congress in September or is the current one so horrible they just punted everything down the road? I dont remember this being a problem for Obama years, not to this extent.

The Republicans advocating for the elimination of the Senate's filibuster make no sense to me. Do they honestly believe they'll control the Senate forever? Do they know how quickly and how hard their most hated liberal policies are going to be pushed the second the Senate has 51 Dems?
MUST PLEASE CORPORATE MASTERS AND BIGOTS AT ANY COST

How worried about a government shutdown or a default?

I'm on SSI/medicaid/medicare/HUD
I'm hoping they'll be so overwhelmed that they won't put up much of a fight.

The focus on the filibuster is stupid, but typical Trump. His healthcare bill can't even muster up 50 votes - 60 isn't the problem here.

Big ticket reform items like immigration or infrastructure can get 60 votes if you're willing to sit down with the other party and come out with something everyone can live with. But the GOP would sooner pass a $15 minimum wage bill than entertain working with the Democrats on something.

That being said, we should drop down to 51 the next time Democrats assume power, if the GOP doesn't do it first. Less opportunity for grandstanding, more opportunity to actually get things done. From there we just need to maintain control of one branch (House, Senate or Presidency) to deny Republicans the ability to repeal all of our accomplishments willy-nilly until they become a rational party interested in moving the country forward.

Even with the potential setbacks, that's the main reason why I hoped Clinton would win, so she could preserve Obama's accomplishments to the point that in 2020 even with a GOP win there would be less appetite to repeal ACA.

Can't say I'm thrilled at the thought that the fate of DACA lies in the hands of a dysfunctional Congress. One might hope the humanitarian and economic impact along with the overall popularity of helping the dreamers would be enough, but it goes against Trump's base and the GOP is terrified of crossing them.

Special election in New Hampshire to look out for tonight: Open GOP seat in Grafton-9 that went 55-40 for Trump, but 50-48 for Obama in 2012. We've seen some special elections run closer to Obama's numbers than Clinton's, but that's a tight margin all the same.

D candidate is the same as last year's, and he only lost then by a little over 4 points. There's also a Libertarian which could give us an assist.

Making their base think they're going to do it and then forget about it later.

#IMPOTUS

Let me get this straight. On the same day Putin launches a scathing criticism of Trump and US foreign policy, a Putin crony publicly threatens kompromat on state television. Whether or not it exists, Trump probably won't say anything in response to Vlad given the threat.

They are playing him like a goddamned fiddle.

Shit this month, we don't need predictions or warnings you just KNOW it will be insane.

If this were true, Clarke would have been in no problem. I'm not saying that Kelly doesn't agree with Trump on some shit but I don't think the guy is supporting Trump as much as managing him.

Kelly's been pondered by many along the lines of "is he a white hat, or a black hat?" but I dont think he has any hat really, he's pure order and orders.

Don't think there are enough Republicans to get something DACA related don on their own. Also don't think Dems will bend on the wall funding. They'll probably need a veto proof majority to get a clean bill through. If something gets done it is at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom