• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

So incredibly MacAuthur has reached a deal with the freedom Caucus re Obamacare stabilization. It would fund the CSR's for 3 years too.

Seems like they've given up on repeal. If only someone would tell Trump.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...hed-with-house-freedom-caucus-chair-on-health
I'm really wondering how bad the 1332 waivers are going to be (as in, if enacted, if we are to believe the GOP in how states will magically make it work)

Also I thought Graham-Cassidy was the only show in town?

So Trump’s latest tweet implies he’ll reinstate DACA when Congress can’t come up with a fix...what was the point of this clusterfuck?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cher's Law proves once and for all that adding the word bitch to any insult turns it into a hyper insult.

Calling someone dumb is lame. Calling someone a dumb bitch is incredible.

Diablos

realdonaldtrump twitter said:
Congress now has 6 months to legalize DACA (something the Obama Administration was unable to do). If they can't, I will revisit this issue!
He wants to be the guy who passes immigration reform and does something Obama couldn't do. Asshole...

There are probably people out there killing themselves right now and he's basically admitting this is more about his perverse obsession with outdoing Obama and not a genuine desire to fix the immigration system.

Cher 2020

Cher's Law proves once and for all that adding the word bitch to any insult turns it into a hyper insult.

Calling someone dumb is lame. Calling someone a dumb bitch is incredible.

Isn't imposing Mariah Law the ultimate goal?

"And then a hero lies in ~~~PELOSI~~~."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TIL that keeping my Hillary/Suikoden avatar is wrong and playing a game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sort of hard to forget about nearly a million lives destroyed, let alone the scores of people who are affected by said people being exiled. Tough to slip that under the carpet.

The media loves padding their broadcasts with "public interest" stories that will generate.

pigeon

Banned
Wait, I didn't see that tweet.

Trump's bargaining strategy of making threats and also announcing in advance he will not follow through on them is really one for the books.

RDreamer

Trump's bargaining strategy of making threats and also announcing in advance he will not follow through on them is really one for the books.

I also like the part where he sends his AG out to say it's unconstitutional for him to do what he's now saying he might do if it fails.

Heitkamp will be Trumps special guest as he sells tax reform in ND...

https://twitter.com/philiprucker/status/905236180391878656

From the story:

But when he takes his tax-cuts road show to stop No. 2, in North Dakota on Wednesday, he is expected to pull his punches on that state's Democratic senator, Heidi Heitkamp.

That is because Heitkamp will be a special guest in Trump's traveling delegation, jetting with him from Washington aboard Air Force One in what the White House is trumpeting as the first indication of bipartisan support for overhauling the tax code.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Trump's a dumb bitch but the cloud he casts over minorities really will make life difficult even if he doesn't do anything.

"I will kill these hostages unless you give me the money."
"Jesus christ, you're a terrible person."
"Actually I won't kill any of these hostages but, uhhhhhhh, still give me the money."

How is anyone like this.

Pixieking

Banned
He wants to be fêted, he has no clue about how to govern, no clue about how to lead, he's torn between his own racism, how he sees other people react, and how he sees his own base react.

Each and every day that passes I think more and more there should be a minimum requirement to hold the Presidency - minimum intelligence, minimum empathy, minimum financial disclosures. And, yes, I know that's unworkable, but good lord he's an embarassment, to himself and to the US.

As they said on PSA, Trump's negotiation strategy is to lead off with shooting the hostage.

Heitkamp will be Trumps special guest as he sells tax reform in ND...

https://twitter.com/philiprucker/status/905236180391878656

From the story:

That's not why he isn't attacking her. The real reason is he got a lot of heat for attacking Claire McCaskill during his stop in Missouri, which was a "Presidential Visit". during "Presidential Visits" he's not supposed to/it's illegal to campaign. He can do campaign stops, but then the Trump 2020 Campaign has to pay for it, and something tells me he's using some kind of fuckery to siphon money from his campaign so he'd rather just tone it done to avoid getting sued and forking over money.

Man, 2017 is destroying my health. I'm going to have a heart attack by the time I'm 30.

My blood pressure heaves and swells like a cartoon steam engine and I am just chock-full of ulcers. I am constantly sweating through my clothes and haven't had a good night's sleep since last summer.

I can't even take a walk in the woods or sit by the beach and try to center myself because I just think about cataclysmic climate disaster aborting it all into a steaming wasteland.

One friend of mine says antidepressants have helped him, but honestly, this is just my new normal. I just live this way and it's fine. But what does panic become when it's a sustained pulse of terror for over a year of your life? Is it even panic anymore? Is there another new and more terrible range of panic I haven't felt yet just waiting to explode me into atoms?

I'm starting to understand the degree of disassociation people must reach to leave their lives and devote themselves to an all-consuming cause. If I didn't have a fiancé and a Pokémon card collection to care about, I would probably be an Antifa kamikaze or something.

I look forward to the day I feel like I used to again. I'm doing everything I can. I barely save any money month after month because I donate so much of it to causes (that are failing) and politicians (that lose).

I said in another thread in OT, but my greatest fear used to be dying. Now it's the fear that, in the many faces of evil, love is not enough.

Let me try to be normal. Ahem.

How y'all doing tonight? Folks, those Red Sox are a rotten bunch, I tell ya. Matsuzaka be kiddin' me! Does he still play for Boston? Shucks, folks, I get no respect! Kind of like how New England sports teams have no respect for the RULES, am I right? Just call me "sportsmanship," cuz I'm dead!

Man, 2017 is destroying my health. I'm going to have a heart attack by the time I'm 30.

My blood pressure heaves and swells like a cartoon steam engine and I am just chock-full of ulcers. I am constantly sweating through my clothes and haven't had a good night's sleep since last summer.

I can't even take a walk in the woods or sit by the beach and try to center myself because I just think about cataclysmic climate disaster aborting it all into a steaming wasteland.

One friend of mine says antidepressants have helped him, but honestly, this is just my new normal. I just live this way and it's fine. But what does panic become when it's a sustained pulse of terror for over a year of your life? Is it even panic anymore? Is there another new and more terrible range of panic I haven't felt yet just waiting to explode me into atoms?

I'm starting to understand the degree of disassociation people must reach to leave their lives and devote themselves to an all-consuming cause. If I didn't have a fiancé and a Pokémon card collection to care about, I would probably be an Antifa kamikaze or something.

I look forward to the day I feel like I used to again. I'm doing everything I can. I barely save any money month after month because I donate so much of it to causes (that are failing) and politicians (that lose).

I said in another thread in OT, but my greatest fear used to be dying. Now it's the fear that, in the many faces of evil, love is not enough.

Let me try to be normal. Ahem.

How y'all doing tonight? Folks, those Red Sox are a rotten bunch, I tell ya. Matsuzaka be kiddin' me! Does he still play for Boston? Shucks, folks, I get no respect! Kind of like how New England sports teams have no respect for the RULES, am I right? Just call me "sportsmanship," cuz I'm dead!

Go talk to a therapist. Chronic stress wears down your brain and can progress to worse things like an anxiety disorder/depression. Also consider beta blockers (in talks with your doctor) since it helps with anxiety and blood pressure.

Go talk to a therapist. Chronic stress wears down your brain and can progress to worse things like an anxiety disorder/depression. Also consider beta blockers (in talks with your doctor) since it helps with anxiety and blood pressure.

I will keep this in mind if it ever starts to feel like I can endure no more.

Stress isn't actually a cause of ulcers so if you actually have them go to the doctor and get prescribed some antibiotics.

I went to the doctor a couple months ago and they said they're not bad enough that they would prescribe something. She told to lower my stress level. I get them on my tonsils. I can't afford to go back for a while though. They ran some tests and it cost me $600. It was worth it to know the results, but I'm still paying for it.

As an addendum to the post I just made: sometimes I just really need a place to put my thoughts down. It's late where I live and everyone I would normally talk to is asleep. I don't need attention or anything. It just feels good to tell people how I feel, even though I'm usually embarrassed.

But I can be embarrassed here. This is PoliGAF. Better I embarrass myself here than out there.

If bernie pulls off 2020, he'll basically become the Dem Reagan huh.

I don't see Sanders running in 2020 unless Hillary Clinton is still trying to sell books and re-litigate why she took an L in 2016. Additionally, I think Bernie is happy that he went from marginalized outsider to prominent leader within the Democratic party. He can influence the fresh face that goes up against the next GOP nominee with the power he has now.

With that said, if Sanders did run again I don't see how he would get out of the Democratic primary. The establishment's support may not be as lopsided as it was in 2016, but Bernie's real problem was the amount of people interested in his political revolution vs. people who preferred Hillary's vision. The gap wasn't that small last time and a small minority of people vote in the primaries to begin with. I don't think he could bring enough new people in or change the minds of people who thought they were putting themselves at risk of a loss to the GOP by choosing him.

I will keep this in mind if it ever starts to feel like I can endure no more.

I went to the doctor a couple months ago and they said they're not bad enough that they would prescribe something. She told to lower my stress level. I get them on my tonsils. I can't afford to go back for a while though. They ran some tests and it cost me $600. It was worth it to know the results, but I'm still paying for it.

As an addendum to the post I just made: sometimes I just really need a place to put my thoughts down. It's late where I live and everyone I would normally talk to is asleep. I don't need attention or anything. It just feels good to tell people how I feel, even though I'm usually embarrassed.

But I can be embarrassed here. This is PoliGAF. Better I embarrass myself here than out there.

Its good to talk this stuff out. And while stress doesn't cause ulcers, stress can cause bad diet and lots of other stuff that can modulate ulcers.

My only warning is that (from both personal and professional experience), its much easier and better to go to a psychiatrist/therapist before the problem becomes severe.

You're either lying or don't have real budgeting skills. I'd rather you gamble than donate money to random politicians.

Yeah. I'm learning that. I lost plenty of money on the likes of Quist and Ossoff. For a while, this felt like the right thing to do. It made me feel like I was helping when there wasn't a lot else I could do.

As for the whole "barely saving any money" qualifier, if you really are calling my bluff, I will elaborate: I used to save a lot more money. But I make monthly donations to the DCCC, the Maine Democratic Party, the ACLU, Sierra Club, Planned Parenthood, etc. They're minor recurring donations, but I donate about $50 a month all together. This is a lot for me. We live on a slim margin of income.

When I was writing that post, I was speaking broadly going way back until last year. During the actual election and in the immediate aftermath, I spent a ton more money. The 2016 election ate up a lot of my savings because I felt like so much was on the line. Every time I had the chance to give to something, I did it. I am still recovering from that, but it's in the past.

So I am not ruining my life and finances pledging to candidates in states I've never been to. (Although I still have some small change behind Beto in Texas.) But compared to how I used to be, all this money I donate is money I used to save. It makes a difference.

tax reform isn't passing so that's a smart move by Heidi!
I feel like "tax reform" as a term is vague enough that you can be like "Yeah, I support tax reform!" without it actually meaning anything. I would expect Heitkamp to be a part of a bipartisan group doing tax reform, but it's also really easy to bail out if it gets too stupid.

Quoting myself for great justice.

You might be getting rick-rolled, don't necessarily assume Trump is going to end DACA. Trump is all theatrics and he also hates making tough decisions. He's probably going to make an announcement that sounds like he's ending it but not really. Put a stamp on it.

... and that's exactly what happened.

People criticized Obama for making slow deliberative decisions on big issues, but Trump is simply incapable of making any tough decisions unless it directly affects his personal interests. It's crazy how he got famous the last 10-15 years for supposedly firing people and having an iron fist. But it when it comes down to it, Trump is Bounty soft mixed with some crazy and senility.

At least gambling gets you free liquor.

Would you believe I don't drink.

Truly, I live in a dark castle of anguish, and I am its architect.

People criticized Obama for making slow deliberative decisions on big issues, but Trump is simply incapable of making any tough decisions unless it directly affects his personal interests. It's crazy how he got famous the last 10-15 years for supposedly firing people and having an iron fist. But it when it comes down to it, Trump is Bounty soft mixed with some crazy and senility.

I continually wonder what will happen and how it will affect his decision making as Congress continually avoids doing the hard work on his poorly-conceived plans. Will he keep trying to make declarations knowing nobody will back him up? Or will he stop and blame Congress for not being cooperative? I prefer Trump when he is just tweeting and there is no actual policy implementation. This sums up a lot (but not all) of his candidacy. How much longer will he make major proclaimations and know he's left holding the bag?

Trouble

Banned
I don't see Sanders running in 2020 unless Hillary Clinton is still trying to sell books and re-litigate why she took an L in 2016. Additionally, I think Bernie is happy that he went from marginalized outsider to prominent leader within the Democratic party. He can influence the fresh face that goes up against the next GOP nominee with the power he has now.

Bernie is not a leader of the Democratic party. He's not even a member.

TIL that keeping my Hillary/Suikoden avatar is wrong and playing a game.

I learned you don't have a Hillary Avatar, according to yourseld, but then you just said it is one! Make up your mind.

Edit. It is one regardless of your mind. Why you clownin like Trump...god only knows.

I feel like "tax reform" as a term is vague enough that you can be like "Yeah, I support tax reform!" without it actually meaning anything. I would expect Heitkamp to be a part of a bipartisan group doing tax reform, but it's also really easy to bail out if it gets too stupid.
Exactly. And she gets the pictures of her and Trump in a big airplane for 2018.

Yeah. I'm learning that. I lost plenty of money on the likes of Quist and Ossoff. For a while, this felt like the right thing to do. It made me feel like I was helping when there wasn't a lot else I could do.

As for the whole "barely saving any money" qualifier, if you really are calling my bluff, I will elaborate: I used to save a lot more money. But I make monthly donations to the DCCC, the Maine Democratic Party, the ACLU, Sierra Club, Planned Parenthood, etc. They're minor recurring donations, but I donate about $50 a month all together. This is a lot for me. We live on a slim margin of income.

When I was writing that post, I was speaking broadly going way back until last year. During the actual election and in the immediate aftermath, I spent a ton more money. The 2016 election ate up a lot of my savings because I felt like so much was on the line. Every time I had the chance to give to something, I did it. I am still recovering from that, but it's in the past.

So I am not ruining my life and finances pledging to candidates in states I've never been to. (Although I still have some small change behind Beto in Texas.) But compared to how I used to be, all this money I donate is money I used to save. It makes a difference.
Definitely stop donating altogether. In terms of marginal utility, it'll make much more of a difference in your hands toward your own life than in Tossoff's or Planned Parenthood's. I encourage you to harbor a deep resentment in whoever it was that brainwashed you into thinking your comfort was less valuable than the Democrats' political aspirations in stretch areas they weren't going to get. Leave that to George Clooney and Meryl Streep. And in the meantime, have the courage to live your own life. You have anxiety now because Trump is deporting people who were already being deported during the Bush administration but somehow you managed to live your life just fine while people were suicide bombing in Iraq and children were being kidnapped in Nigeria. The difference is you inject a huge dose of terror into your veins every time you turn on the news, which makes you watch more news, so now you're stuck in a vicious feedback loop designed to profit over your hysteria.
Would you believe I don't drink.

Truly, I live in a dark castle of anguish, and I am its architect.
I'm going to jail soon because of alcohol problems, so you're not missing out on too much.

Pixieking

Banned
Bernie is not a leader of the Democratic party. He's not even a member.

So, from one of the excerpts of her book, Hillary basically asks "Why isn't Bernie a Democrat? His policies would fit in perfectly with how the Dems have shaped themselves over the years, and we would welcome him."

So, genuine question: Why isn't he one?

And, follow-up: If it would secure him the nomination for the Dem party, would he become one?

And a final question: If Yes to the above, why has he not already become a Dem? It would mean he could unify the party around him, move the party to the left, and ensure he doesn't seem opportunistic if/when he eventually becomes one in, say, 2019.

(in hindsight this sounds very "I'm just asking questions", but it's not meant that way. I honestly don't understand how the benefits of being Independent outweigh the benefits of being a Dem)

So, from one of the excerpts of her book, Hillary basically asks "Why isn't Bernie a Democrat. His policies would fit in perfectly with how the Dems have shaped themselves over the years, and we would welcome him."

So, genuine question: Why isn't he one?

And, follow-up: If it would secure him the nomination for the Dem party, would he become one?

And a final question: If Yes to the above, why has he not already become a Dem?

Because he's a vile, petty, self-serving, opportunistic hack.

All three done in one.

So Trump’s latest tweet implies he’ll reinstate DACA when Congress can’t come up with a fix...what was the point of this clusterfuck?

Nixon drank and went on a summit trip during his final months, the Shaven Orangutan flails at the levers of power and buddies up tight with bigots. We all cope with damning indictments in different ways huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom