• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Might have already been mentioned, but after days of telling his idiot viewers not to listen to weather reports about Irma because they were an elaborate concoction by the liberal media to promote climate change, Rush himself bails from Florida.

None of this is remotely surprising, but it's depressing to think he also won't be punished for it.

Bernie on Colbert was pretty good.

He avoided any bad sound bites. But Colbert literally did everything in his power to get something out of him that would have made some noise.

Hillary will be on next week. If Colbert pullls the same tactic. It's going to be a disaster. Expect ten OT threads

@srubenfeld
White House issues memo delegating authority to administer the Global Magnitsky Act sanctions to @USTreasury and @StateDept.

DJOl-JfVYAAVy9y.jpg

Right after Trump meets with the new Russian Ambassador...

Man, everyone loves talking adoptions.

This is so true? Health care sucks in Canada. Especially in rural areas. There are doctor and nurse shortages and provincial governments are always looking to cut funding. I needed to wait a month or two to see a doctor back home for non-emergency issues but here in California I could see my doctor same day.

Dude stop talking about all of Canada like it's universal.

Health care where I am is great.

Kevinroc

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/906331023713206272

Ran into Lindsey Graham today - he's still super-duper optimistic he'll be able to pass Graham-Cassidy ACA repeal/replace by Sept. 30.

Palpable lack of optimism from his colleagues however as we reported yesterday. And a procedural gauntlet. But...

Lindsey hopes to have bill ready early next week, CBO score w/in a couple weeks, get McCain on board with AZ $, and clear Byrd bath.

I know it's important to project confidence on a project, but what the hell is wrong with Graham?

Finding out that there isn't free trade between provinces was one of the most mind blowing things ever

Like. What the fuck

How on earth can each province trade freely with us but not each ofher

Oh just give up Lindsey Graham. God dammit. Stop it. STAAAHHHP.
For every message he got from democrats about how much they wanted him to vote against a repeal. He got 20 telling him he's a cuck RINO

Really anything Lindsey is saying at this point is just lip service to all the conservatives messaging him telling him he better get in line.

I'd really like if some of the NJ Congressmen, like Lance and LoBiondo stepped down. Seats that would go Dem in a wave year pretty easily if they were open.

Michigan's gerrymander stands a good chance at completely backfiring on the GOP so Trott and Upton retiring would be good news. We even won MI-11 in the 2012 special election - unfortunately that lasted two months and Kerry Bentivolio was elected in the regular election which was held simultaneously.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Curson

Dr. Worm

Banned
Jonathan Martin said:
Two GOP pros msg me to say re: House retirements - this only the start...
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/905949975586238464
Scott Wong said:
#10 & #12 on @DCCC's 2018 retirement watch list have called it quits. Who might be next?

DJKSYfmXkAA_tOR.jpg

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/906320901062496256
Jonathan Martin‏Verified account
@jmartNYT
House GOP is dreading more retirements. 2 names we heard repeatedly over last 24 hours: UPTON & TROTT (MI)

Upton's #4 on the DCCC's list, Dave Trott isn't on there.

If this keeps up, the House is definitely within reach.

pigeon

Banned
It's legit pretty gross that Hillary writes in her book about looking at the women's march and thinking "where was this before the election?"

Upton's #4 on the DCCC's list, Dave Trott isn't on there.

If this keeps up, the House is definitely within reach.
Probably because Trott is only in his second term. He'd only retire if he hates being in Congress (who wouldn't?). Upton on the other hand is old as shit so he'd be a more natural retirement.

If Clinton wanted that kind of reaction before the election, you needed an outsider candidate.

Problem arises when you run as a continuation of the incumbent president and that everything is great.

I understand the political reality didn't allow for that.

Zolo

It's legit pretty gross that Hillary writes in her book about looking at the women's march and thinking "where was this before the election?"

People hated Trump before the election, but pretty much everyone and everywhere assumed she would win. They didn't really have a reason to march until they realized he was actually going to be changing their lives in the future.

specifically how the people in the march failed you and you're disappointed in them

The former is gross, the latter is fair given what apathy will do to people. I'm reminded of the gay student I had to excuse from class the day after the election because she was afraid of her classmates and situation in rural Mississippi. The American people (in certain states more than others) failed these people, and I'm definitely disappointed in those apathetic people.

Edit: like Jesus, I don't even wanna know how many Dreamers I might have in my classes.

Pixieking

Banned
Maybe when the largest protest march in American history happens the right response is not to make it about you, specifically how the people in the march failed you and you're disappointed in them

I honestly think it's fair for her to go "Why didn't this happen before? Why didn't it happen in response to Pussygate? Or the news that Trump spousal raped his first wiffe?" The election of Trump is, legitimately, a low point in US politics, and if the Women's March had occured before the election, I don't think he would've won. It's fair to be disappointed in people because of the election of Trump.

I honestly think it's fair for her to go "Why didn't this happen before? Why didn't it happen in response to Pussygate? Or the news that Trump spousal raped his first wiffe?" The election of Trump is, legitimately, a low point in US politics, and if the Women's March had occured before the election, I don't think he would've won. It's fair to be disappointed in people because of the election of Trump.
People were protesting Trump before the election. Remember when Chicago scared the shit out of him and he cancelled a visit there during the primary?

pigeon

Banned

It's just an astonishing example of making everything about you. Clinton's entire pitch was that she was a dedicated public servant. The entire critique of her was that she was a dedicated servant of herself.

I wish the first narrative was proving stronger!

Pixieking

Banned
People were protesting Trump before the election. Remember when Chicago scared the shit out of him and he cancelled a visit there during the primary?

Anything on the size of Women's March?

I get why it happened after the election - because it's easier to motivate people to protest against something than for something. But pretend the Women's March - with all the enthusiasm its generated - happened, say, November 1st.

pigeon

Banned

I get why it happened after the election - because it's easier to motivate people to protest against something than for something. But pretend the Women's March - with all the enthusiasm its generated - happened, say, November 1st.

Maybe the question Clinton should be asking is why wasn't she able to get that to happen? That was literally her one job.

Maybe when the largest protest march in American history happens the right response is not to make it about you, specifically how the people in the march failed you and you're disappointed in them
You know I thought the book would be a bad idea simply based on the title, and I thought it was something she shouldn't be releasing. But I thought again, you know she's a private citizen, maybe I'm just being an idiot. She can do what she wants. I'm sure she's smart enough to make it something that won't blow up with bad sound bites

But i guess my initial instincts were correct because it's like this book is doing whatever it can to stir shit up. Literally everything that we've seen from it is the exact opposite of what I'd want someone in her position to be saying. I'm sure there's more too it then what we've heard but what the fuck man. "Yeah where were the women at the march when I needed them". Great message.

One good way Hillary could have gotten more enthusiasm would be by not having a record of sending their friends and families into a meat grinder for the profits of the military-industrial complex and resource extraction or by not validating racist Republican dog whistles by whipping votes to make massive welfare cuts that primarily harm the vulnerable Democratic base.

I feel like this is sort of putting the cart before the horse to just be mad at people for not being excited enough to march in the streets for Hillary. Maybe people had reasons they weren't excited to march for Hillary!

Armaros

Great!

Maybe the question she should be asking is why didn't her editor tell her to cut the part of the book that makes her seem self-serving and just keep the part that makes her seem decent?

So the book should have been self-flagellation?

A final apology to the people that now don't want her to be seen or heard anymore?

pigeon

Banned
So the book should have been self-flagellation?

Yes?

That would be the dignified thing to do.

Let me be really clear -- Clinton is a brilliant and capable person, but she's also a person who has spent much of her life surrounded by people making arguments for her right to do whatever she wants, regardless of its sensibility or whether it would demonstrate good character or responsible behavior. Arguments just like this one!

I am being totally serious when I say that if she had listened to those arguments less and listened to the better angels of our nature more, maybe she would be president after all.

kirblar

I have a suspicion the timing on these may be connected to Stinkles' heads up.
Yes?

That would be the dignified thing to do.

Let me be really clear -- Clinton is a brilliant and capable person, but she's also a person who has spent much of her life surrounded by people making arguments for her right to do whatever she wants, regardless of its sensibility or whether it would demonstrate good character or responsible behavior. Arguments just like this one!

I am being totally serious when I say that if she had listened to those arguments less and listened to the better angels of our nature more, maybe she would be president after all.
At this point rip off the bandaid and be done with it.

Pixieking

Banned
Great!

Maybe the question she should be asking is why didn't her editor tell her to cut the part of the book that makes her seem self-serving and just keep the part that makes her seem decent?

I think a lot of what she's going to say in her book comes down to the fact that she's fed-up of hiding her feelings. This is from a couple of weeks ago

”It was one of those moments where you wish you could hit pause and ask everyone watching, ‘Well, what would you do? Do you stay calm, keep smiling, and carry on as if he weren't repeatedly invading your space? Or do you turn, look him in the eye, and say, loudly and clearly: Back up you creep, get away from me.'"

”Maybe I have overlearned the lesson of staying calm, biting my tongue, digging my fingernails into a clenched fist, smiling all the while, determined to present a composed face to the world."

What she says about Bernie, what she says about the debates (which that quote is about the second one), what she says about the Women's March - everything so far can be boiled down to "I don't see why I shouldn't say this. I'm sick of being told to shut-up for the good of the party." The book seems to be less about getting revenge per se, and more about just telling the truth as she believes it to be. Which, no, it's not going to show the most decent part of her. But I honestly don't think she's going to take part in politics anymore, so what does that matter?

Also, you get how what you said is a pretty disgusting thing to say about someone, right? "Keep the part that makes her seem decent" is just saying she should just shut-up and be the "true politician" for the sake of unity.

pigeon

Banned
I think a lot of what she's going to say in her book comes down to the fact that she's fed-up of hiding her feelings. This is from a couple of weeks ago

What she says about Bernie, what she says about the debates (which that quote is about the second one), what she says about the Women's March - everything so far can be boiled down to "I don't see why I shouldn't say this. I'm sick of being told to shut-up for the good of the party." The book seems to be less about getting revenge per se, and more about just telling the truth as she believes it to be. Which, no, it's not going to show the most decent part of her. But I honestly don't think she's going to take part in politics anymore, so what does that matter?

Also, you get how what you said is a pretty disgusting thing to say about someone, right? "Keep the part that makes her seem decent" is just saying she should just shut-up and be the "true politician" for the sake of unity.

That is literally what she signed up for. Nobody held a gun to her head and told her to become a Democratic Party leader and former presidential nominee. The job comes with certain responsibilities whether you win or lose.

Pixieking

Banned
That is literally what she signed up for. Nobody held a gun to her head and told her to become a Democratic Party leader and former presidential nominee. The job comes with certain responsibilities whether you win or lose.

*insert bitter laugh here*

You're going to tell me that, in a calender-year when double-digit numbers of political norms have been violated, with a president who admitted sexual assault, and a Congress that refused to vote on a SCOTUS nomination, that Hillary should be the one to be responsible and adhere to losing presidential nominee norms?

It's fine to have less respect for her, but I do not see why anyone should complain about her not going quietly into that good night. *shrugs*

I love when I read the newest post and know who wrote it before I scroll up.

Just stop.

pigeon

Banned
*insert bitter laugh here*

You're going to tell me that, in a calender-year when double-digit numbers of political norms have been violated, with a president who admitted sexual assault, and a Congress that refused to vote on a SCOTUS nomination, that Hillary should be the one to be responsible and adhere to losing presidential nominee norms?

It's fine to have less respect for her, but I do not see why anyone should complain about her not going quietly into that good night. *shrugs*

Ah, yes, the "everybody else is terrible, why shouldn't I be terrible too?" argument.

Pixieking

Banned
Ah, yes, the "everybody else is terrible, why shouldn't I be terrible too?" argument.

I mean, there's degrees of "terrible" here, so maybe that's the issue?

I do not see what's terrible about Hillary writing a "No shits given" political memoir about her election. Your argument that

The job comes with certain responsibilities whether you win or lose.

seems just bizarre, like she's beholden to keeping quiet about how she felt, and what she did. She can blame who she wants and say what she wants - if she's not taking part in politics anymore, then what does it matter? The Left already hate her for screwing over Bernie, and will continue to hate her, so unless she literally disappeared into the kitchen, she will always antagonise someone.

Or, tl;dr - she is not a unifying figure, so people should just come out and say that she should hide away til she dies, rather than talking about "certain responsibilities". She really is at bitch-crackers stage.

Edit:

HAVE THE FIGHT NOW SO YOU CAN GET OVER IT SOONER THAN LATER.

This was one of the problems with the kid gloves!

I kinda agree with this. We still don't know how Bernie will fare in a straight-up Primary, and any remaining "Hillary or Bust" fans need to be kicked into shape and shown how wrong they are. Explode the party now, rather than having seething resentment for years.

You know in a decade we're going to be reading a thinkpiece about how those resignations are where things really started to go to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom