• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

I don't really love doing that at all.

I don't see how it's a right wing talking point to have a person who has been accused of rape and sexual assault multiple times is a bad thing to have attached to you. Not everyone is going to just dismiss it.

I think it's possible Harris or Gillibrand, if they do run will potentially do better to turn out women because they don't have that problem as far as we know
I just want to know if you realize you're suggesting Harris and Gillibrand, as women, will do better to appeal to the female electorate strictly because they were not victims of their husbands actions.

chadskin

A Trump adviser says that after a tumultuous seven months in office, it had finally dawned on the president: "People really f@&@ing hate me." For someone who has spent his life lapping up adulation, however fake, it was a harsh realization. This is a man with an especially acute need for affirmation.

This week's bear hug of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer opened Trump's eyes to one solution: Stop doing things that people hate, and start striking deals.
A senior administration official said of Trump's deal with Chuck and Nancy: "He just wanted to do something popular." He's reveling in the coverage, including lavish praise from "Morning Joe."
https://www.axios.com/why-trump-hopes-the-new-trump-sticks-2483311761.html

Let's see how long this lasts.

I just want to know if you realize you're suggesting Harris and Gillibrand, as women, will do better to appeal to the female electorate strictly because they were not victims of their husbands actions.
Last thing I'll say about this but not everyone was willing to frame it that way and I just don't believe that's how many people see it.

My mom really struggled to vote for her for that reason. Had she not had me around to convince her why she needed to vote given the opponent maybe she doesn't vote at all. I think there were a lot of people who thought like that.

Ogodei

White women voted for Trump over Hillary. If I were her, I'd be spitting nails about venom about the hypocrisy and behaviour of white people during that election. She's being mild about it t.

Just again, to repeat - white women voted for a self confessed serial sexual assault era and rapist over one of the most qualified candidates ever. Yes, that's partly her fault - but that doesn't exonerate the voters either.

Right. Sometimes the electorate is just irredeemable, like how the Japanese keep voting for the liberal democrats despite them having no new answers to fix the recession of the last 25 years, or how Turks seem to crave dictatorship and will not be dissuaded from it.

The majority of white women voted for an admitted sexual assailant. If being a predator yourself doesn't affect your turnout, why would being married to one? Especially since the two are not morally equivalent, no matter how you want to spin it.

Respond to that criticism or else, yes, you will be regurgitating right-wing talking points.
I'm not talking about the women who voted for Trump. They have zero excuses and I'm not absolving them from anything. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. My assumption was the majority of the turnout of people who went to the march didn't vote for him either.

They are not morally equivalent at all. But it was just another factor in what was made to be a shitty election that made a lot of people not want to go out to vote at all. It wasn't the only issue but I think it was a stumbling block in translating the women who ran out to oppose trump and his behavior and rhetoric into votes

My apologies if I upset anyone. I'll just drop it now.

https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/906317096614813697

DJPil_2X0AENnS0.jpg

Where is that quote from? It drives me batty when people just post pictures of quotes without sourcing them.

Pigeon, have you actually seen the passage of the book you are railing against, in context, or are you just falling for a by-the-book press manipulation of a DC tell all to generate outrage and clicks?

Right. Sometimes the electorate is just irredeemable, like how the Japanese keep voting for the liberal democrats despite them having no new answers to fix the recession of the last 25 years, or how Turks seem to crave dictatorship and will not be dissuaded from it.
I'm from the South, and therefore have no qualms about criticizing the electorate. A lot of shitting on Hillary for the election's outcome feels like a variation of just world fallacy.

But we can't overstate the level of despair among Republicans. One person very close to Republican leadership told us: "He accepted a shakedown when he was holding all the cards. ... This is quite literally a guy who watches 'ER' trying to perform a surgery."

Hey, person close to Republican leadership, can we talk? I think it's really cool that you are despairing and all and I am hesitant to say anything that would help you out, but the fact that you thought that Trump held all of the cards here is your whole fucking problem.

You need to wrap you head abound the fact that, as dysfunctional and impotent as Trump is, the GOP Congress is worse.

Ogodei

I'm from the South, and therefore have no qualms about criticizing the electorate. A lot of shitting on Hillary for the election's outcome feels like a variation of just world fallacy.

2016 was close enough that Clinton bears some of the blame, but this doesn't excuse the fact that a lot of voters are soft-willed enough to take a look at a screaming racist, sexist caricature and think "yeah, what have we got to lose?"

Hey, person close to Republican leadership, can we talk? I think it's really cool that you are despairing and all and I am hesitant to say anything that would help you out, but the fact that you thought that Trump held all of the cards here is your whole fucking problem.

You need to wrap you head abound the fact that, as dysfunctional and impotent as Trump is, the GOP Congress is worse.

There's a sense of learned helplessness among the current crop of GOP, most of whom weren't in leadership positions the last time the party had a trifecta in 2006. Governing simply isn't in their wheelhouse yet.

Haven't watched Maher in a while but apparently Ken Bone was on last night

Just saw that he was too. Still don't regret not watching RT anymore.
Fucking Ken Bone thing was so fucking stupid.

"Ha ha, look at this guy with the red sweater and mustache at the presidential debate! Doesn't he look kinda funny!? Let's fucking pay attention to him for weeks instead of heeding Clinton's warnings that Trump is a Russian puppet that's trying to uproot our democracy! Isn't this undecided voter's sweater so red!? So funny!"

royalan

How about Hillary Clinton is a fucking adult who is writing a memoir and has every right to say what the fuck she thinks.

What's gross is this constant need to police what she says, does and even believes.

Like Jesus. She showed solidarity and support for the woman's march as it happened. But people want to be mad at her for what she writes in a book 8 months later? As if that changes anything? Come on.

Pyrokai

The turnout of Women's March vs actual voting day probably has a lot to do with fucked up voter suppression.

We have to fight that with everything we've got.

when you're a paid adviser to Hillary and have held important positions in the DNC and other parts of the Dem apparatus

Adam Parkhomenko‏Verified account
@AdamParkhomenko

PS...you seem to ignore the Russia support online for Bernie during the primaries. The guy is hiding something. Not sure I want to know what

jtb

Banned
are we really going to scrutinize every no-name political operative who posts something stupid on Twitter?

this is even dumber than close-reading out of context excerpts of Hillary's memoir

Foffy

Banned
when you're a paid adviser to Hillary and have held important positions in the DNC and other parts of the Dem apparatus

Wasn't Russia's goal two-fold?

- Get someone they can use in office (Trump)
- Prevent Hillary to even be a threat to this

What's this advisor's view on the Russian attack attempts on Marco Rubio?

are we really going to scrutinize every no-name political operative who posts something stupid on Twitter?

this is even dumber than close-reading out of context excerpts of Hillary's memoir
idk people love posting random Intercept writers having bad takes or whatever

this guy also has a larger following than Tulsi Gabbard and we know there's no shortage of takes about her!

jtb

Banned

this guy also has a larger following than Tulsi Gabbard and we know there's no shortage of takes about her!

Does he really? That's sad lol

In that case, please proceed. The Tulsi Gabbard line as Twitter hot take Mendoza line. I like it

kirblar

Russia attacking from both ends of the horseshoe (the isolationist/xenophobic/racist/anti-science/etc.) has been going on forever.

kirblar

People keep pointing out that The Intercept keeps vomiting awful shit out, regardless of writer, to point out that "random intercept writers w/ bad takes" as a takeaway is wrong. The writing isn't random, it's deliberate.

When some can use it to continue the DNC is Sanders' enemy... of course.

She's an elected official with actual power and a potential presidential candidate but ok.

Also she has 158k followers with a following count of 3198. He has 165k on a following count of 135k

And we usually bitch mostly about Greenwald himself and The Intercept as an entity

Dude is an idiot and wrong but beyond that what importance is he?

jtb

Banned
I don't really give a shit about the Intercept's various writers, I give a shit about the man with the Pulitzer who gives the idiotic marching orders. Didn't Lee Fang and Zaid Jilani both used to work for the Center for American Progress and the antichrist herself ffs? The whole site is just sad fishing for clicks :(

When some can use it to continue the DNC is Sanders' enemy... of course.

She's an elected official with actual power and a potential presidential candidate but ok.

Also she has 158k followers with a following count of 3198. He has 165k on a following count of 135k

And we usually bitch mostly about Greenwald himself and The Intercept as an entity

Dude is an idiot and wrong but beyond that what importance is he?

Which is why tact and accuracy are important since it is beyond clear and testified that Russia has not quit this attempted manipulation. We don't know how far they've went and panic is only helping it. Clumsy accusations like that is definately reckless.

gaugebozo

Russia's goal was not to get someone they can use in office. It was to cause chaos and weaken the US. That's why they didn't just dump everything into Trump. They also did things to drive the wedge in the Democratic party, and also to benefit Jill Stein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom