• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aside from everything that's already been said, that Katy Tur passage epitomizes a tendency of the media when talking about the electorate that I absolutely hate. Look at articles written after the 2012 election about Republican struggles with minority voters, and these voters are always talked about as an abstraction. There's discussion of the numbers and reasons why Republican messaging fails to appeal, but everything is couched in a way where people might as well just be replaced by numbers and statistics.

Now look at writing after 2016 (or 2004 for that matter) about white voters, and there is this intense focus on them as human beings that we need to empathize with. Instead of a bunch of statistics and polling results, we have reporters going to diners and truck stops to talk to them. Instead of dry passages about why this or that policy turns them off, we get tortured passages about their very personal struggles (they're having a harder time paying their bills and now they can't even give their kids a PB&J, just think how humiliating it must be for them!)

The media has very different standards for how they talk about white voters, and it's infuriating.

Ayup

Manchin says Congress should explore single payer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ocrat-open-to-single-payer-health-care-system

The Senate’s most conservative Democrat said Tuesday Congress should consider adopting a single-payer health-care system, a sign of how fast politics are shifting on what was once seen as a fringe issue on the left.

"It should be explored," said West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin, who faces re-election next year in a state President Donald Trump carried by 42 points. "I want to know what happens in all the countries that have it -- how well it works or the challenges they have."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That Katy Tur excerpt is, uh, certainly one way to frame things without addressing anything of substance.

That makes sense, but it's still really weird to see a middle name in quotation marks like a nickname
I am really bothered by people who feel the need to name sons after the father. Then they do this stuff. How about you skip the egotism, give the kid an original name, and you can avoid these unnecessary issues with name confusion?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

sanders-e1433181973408.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It is actually the case that feeding food containing peanuts to infants does reduce the risk of developing peanut allergies. But peanut bans are aimed at protecting kids who have already developed peanut allergies so that doesn't apply here.

Of course for the most part backlash against peanut bans is more just resentment about being told not to do something you've been doing.
On the last point, it's also about refusing to educate oneself the issue and/or disbelieving the science. And simply being selfish.

BTW, our fart in the wind faux-leftist troll nightmare in OT is finally over. Got too comfy and started posting up Rothschild conspiracies because of course they would be interested in pushing those, (because of course that's what their actual position was.)

wait, fuck, if that's who i think it is does this mean i no longer have a reason to make effort shitposts about
the honorable
nina turner being a bright and shining example of falling upward?

kirblar

wait, fuck, if that's who i think it is does this mean i no longer have a reason to make effort shitposts about
the honorable
Correct. It got really obvious they were a right-wing troll, and just like on 4chan/etc they started pushing the boundaries of what was "acceptable" and flew too close to the sun.

They claimed to be in finance, yet argued for the need to return to "populism/New Deal"? That's Bannon's whole backstory!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

NeoXChaos

the honorable

Correct. It got really obvious they were a right-wing troll, and just like on 4chan/etc they started pushing the boundaries of what was "acceptable" and flew too close to the sun.

They claimed to be in finance, yet argued for the need to return to "populism/New Deal"? That's Bannon's whole backstory!

oh thank goodness. I was thinking it was a certain solider who fights battles in an unknown land.

I don't get why male parents give their sons the same first name, especially if you're just going to call them by their middle name or a nickname. What's the point?

Its the US Empire Doesn't Care Who's President thread I think

EDIT: Oh geez I just read the whole exchange he really went for it huh?

He died like he lived: like an idiot.

(I only even saw that stuff because people kept quoting him. Ignore list exists for a reason, people!)

I don't get why male parents give their sons the same first name, especially if you're just going to call them by their middle name or a nickname. What's the point?

I am the first firstborn son of a firstborn son in my father's family in at least 5 generations not named Stephen. For some families there's some weiiiird shit with names.

Because it's not just about what you call your own kid. People at school and just about everyone in the outside world will call them by their first name and they will continue to call them that long after you're gone.

Giving your son your first name (which may be your father's first name) is a way of establishing a bond and having him know he's part of a family that goes beyond a single generation and he's responsible for carrying the torch to the next generation in the family.

Some kids draw strength from carrying their parents first name. Some find it a burden. While others are completely indifferent. A lot depends on how the parents carry themselves in the first place.

Manchin being open to single-payer means it's probably happening.

The Republicans being in control meant it's not happening. The point is to have a clear plan of attack for improving/replacing the ACA to both serve as a contrast to the Republicans' clear lack of a plan and to serve as a starting point for any bipartisan plan attempts.

PBY

Banned
The Republicans being in control meant it's not happening. The point is to have a clear plan of attack for improving/replacing the ACA to both serve as a contrast to the Republicans' clear lack of a plan and to serve as a starting point for any bipartisan plan attempts.

This is wack as fuck. Why not just push for what clearly your base wants?

Its not that hard. At some point, you are effectively arguing against single payer and making the right wing case.

Voted in a town mayoral primary today.

Asked the people there if I was the only person who seemed to be in their 20s to show up. They said they weren't sure, but most likely.

kirblar

Its not that hard. At some point, you are effectively arguing against single payer and making the right wing case.
Arguing against Single Payer in favor of an alternative implementation of Universal Healthcare is not a right-wing position!

They can still push for single payer when they regain control.

barber

Its the US Empire Doesn't Care Who's President thread I think

EDIT: Oh geez I just read the whole exchange he really went for it huh?

That went from 0 to 100% in a short time. I could have actually bought it as a pure communist believer, as some of my friends are like that (well, not totally like him as they do not belief in those "theories" , but shared some "core beliefs" that guy "had" like belief purity and capitalism being the bane of us).

Daily Wire is amusing.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/20965...051717-news&utm_campaign=dwtwitter#exit-modal

On Tuesday, the Trump administration signaled that its willingness to legislatively reinstate President Obama’s executive amnesty was deeply serious. In fact, the administration is so serious about reinstating the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that President Trump won’t even insist on Democrats giving him funding for his proposed border wall in exchange for DACA’s revivification.

White House legislative director Marc Short spilled the beans in a speech before reporters at a Christian Science Monitor event. He stated, “whether or not that is specifically part of a DACA package or a different legislative package, I am not going to prejudge here today.” Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), a radical Leftist, immediately praised the Trump administration’s willingness to surrender on its signature issue:

Dick Durbin is a radical leftist? lol.

Well yeah, no shit, I don't mean it's happening tomorrow. Next time Democrats control the White House and Congress though? Yeah boy.

Turtleface says no December debt ceiling vote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/12/mitch-mcconnell-congress-debt-ceiling-vote-242603?cmpid=sf

That's some piece of work you picked there, Kentucky. Top-notch.
So he's gonna punt kick it to April after the treasury exhausts all of its extraordinary measures to prevent default. I'd like to say that I'm surprised but its McConnell....

Feel like that was one of the things we expected
It's just needlessly playing chicken with the full faith and credit of the country when you know these clowns are just going to swerve before they jump off of the cliff. I'll laugh if Trump works with "Chuck and Nancy" (the hit new sitcom on Capitol Hill) on legislation to remove the constant debt ceiling votes and it passes with plenty of Republican support despite McConnell.

kirblar

https://twitter.com/jstein_vox/status/907706707068968960

I'm curious to see what the dissenting Dem opinions are more so than those already in. At some point we're going to have to drag these people across the line to get shit moving.
You're not going to have to drag people across on a public option. You had the votes for it in the House/Senate 9 years ago and the caucus/center has only moved leftward since then. The issue was them not nuking the fillibuster.

I am the first firstborn son of a firstborn son in my father's family in at least 5 generations not named Stephen. For some families there's some weiiiird shit with names.

Because it's not just about what you call your own kid. People at school and just about everyone in the outside world will call them by their first name and they will continue to call them that long after you're gone.

Giving your son your first name (which may be your father's first name) is a way of establishing a bond and having him know he's part of a family that goes beyond a single generation and he's responsible for carrying the torch to the next generation in the family.

Some kids draw strength from carrying their parents first name. Some find it a burden. While others are completely indifferent. A lot depends on how the parents carry themselves in the first place.

But isn't that the whole purpose of a family name? Repeating first names seems to be much more related to primogeniture than passing down a genealogical legacy.

The women on my mother-in-law's side pass down their first name and go by their middle names.

By contrast, I totally understand why this practice originated because it's a way to resist the patriarchal tradition of women being forced to abandon their family name in marriage. By passing down the first name they could at least keep the connection going.

There's not an official thread for Hillary's book. Is someone in here going to create it? I need my daily dosis of regurgitating the 2016 primary.

studyguy

There's not an official thread for Hillary's book. Is someone in here going to create it? I need my daily dosis of regurgitating the 2016 primary.

There was one when it was announced wasn't it?
I assumed discussion would go in there, I'm personally not going to bother till I finish reading it when it gets in. At the very minimum should be somewhat worthwhile to pull from the experience off the massive campaign, failures and all.

Feinstein's weighing in.
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/907680211822620675
Jeff Stein (@JStein_Vox)
.@SenFeinstein: "My understanding is that the cost of single-payer is enormous," supports a public option instead
https://t.co/Xaex53kK36

Interesting annoucement video by Dita Bhargava for CT Gov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzeQNcw9Yc

Not really running from her finance past (though, given the financial sector's importance to CT residents, no shit), and takes several jabs at Molloy for letting businesses flee while also promoting things like paid sick leave and equal pay.

One of the more interesting candidacy I've seen thusfar in CT Gov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom