• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
If not sarcastic, then that passage should definitely wake some folks up to the culture war in our country. When people feel justifiably mad about hearing an accent on the phone, they frequently move past racist into full blown culture warrior.

I got enough of that shit working retail back in the day. "Why are they speaking Spanish over there? Can't nobody understand a word of it."

IT'S NOT YOUR GODDAMN BUSINESS

FyreWulff

I know the "Peanut Butter for lunch" thing does exist in some areas, because we as a society are ruled by fear of danger to stupid levels.

Except peanut butter allergies are a real thing that can really kill someone, no matter how fast you get them help.

Oh no

they might not have peanut butter at school

gasp

shock

first world problems for a food that literally did not exist when the Constitution was written

Allard

She's excusing their behavior by sympathizing with faux plights by being unable to make a racist joke, or being nationalistic, or having to press 1 for English. She literally says, "I get it." I wouldn't say she's "literally playing devil's advocate" when she's saying that she gets their POV.

"I get it, you want to be a racist son of bitch but don't want to be called that, you think its patriotic when the others don't and you feel accosted by it, I get it". You can 'get' how people feel but you don't have to agree with it. In no part of that sentence does she agree with the behavior only understands their reasoning. She covered that campaign with the intent of trying to understand the voters and she is parroting what they told her and how they came to those conclusions. I really want to see the context both before and after this paragraph as that would clarify whether its actually supposed to be sarcastic/devils advocate.

I know the "Peanut Butter for lunch" thing does exist in some areas, because we as a society are ruled by fear of danger to stupid levels.

Some kids are legitimately deathly allergic to peanuts. Is it really that much of a sacrifice to not bring one ingredient to school to make it a safer environment for an individual student?

It's annoying, but doesnt seem like too much to ask.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Except peanut butter allergies are a real thing that can really kill someone, no matter how fast you get them help.

Oh no

they might not have peanut butter at school

gasp

shock

first world problems for a food that literally did not exist when the Constitution was written

I knew someone in grade school that couldn't even be in the same room as a pb&j without breaking out into insane hives.

She's excusing their behavior by sympathizing with faux plights by being unable to make a racist joke, or being nationalistic, or having to press 1 for English. She literally says, "I get it." I wouldn't say she's "literally playing devil's advocate" when she's saying that she gets their POV.

I don't think you can make this judgement without reading more that just the text in that screenshot. Like that last line reads like setup to respond to it all.

Berkeley about to be lit.

DJint3cXcAIm85K.jpg

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Again it seems w/e if the next follow up are discussing racism or the lead up couches that passage in the issues surrounding Trump's candidacy. If they don't then great, chalk it up as a shit take, otherwise it feels like yall are chopping yourselves at the knee for no reason through lack of context and chance at a cheap hot take.

Dude, if that's the route you want to take, then take it. I'm personally done giving people the benefit of the doubt. My default position is skepticism until proven wrong. If the next or previous page makes some bigger point, then good for her, but the page that she decided to promote through retweeting is one that makes me side-eye her.

I knew someone in grade school that couldn't even be in the same room as a pb&j without breaking out into insane hives.

The university went smoke free and all the smokers got pissed, but a friend of mine goes into shock if he inhales secondhand smoke, and none of the fuckers could stay in the smoking zones. Allergies are no joke.

"I get it, you want to be a racist son of bitch but don't want to be called that, you think its patriotic when the others don't and you feel accosted by it, I get it". You can 'get' how people feel but you don't have to agree with it. In no part of that sentence does she agree with the behavior only understands their reasoning. She covered that campaign with the intent of trying to understand the voters and she is parroting what they told her and how they came to those conclusions. I really want to see the context both before and after this paragraph as that would clarify whether its actually supposed to be sarcastic/devils advocate.

Except that's not what she says. She says "your patriotism gets called racism." She doesn't say "you can't say what you really think about minorities without being called racist" or even something like "you believe your patriotism gets called racism." There's an assumption that these people are at least supposed to be sympathetic.

Maybe that's cleared up in context! But she's also RTing it without context so that's on Katy.

I don't think you can make this judgement without reading more that just the text in that screenshot. Like that last line reads like setup to respond to it all.

Then maybe she shouldn't be so proud as to RT it and think that it stands on its own, when it does not.

When people feel justifiably mad about hearing an accent on the phone,

Wait ... this doesn't piss everyone off when they call customer service lines during normal business hours in the US?

My cousin's throat starts to swell up if she so much as smells peanuts. Some allergies are fucking wild.

Lost a classmate due to this allergy. Someone brought brownies to school. She thought they were OK, but it was made with peanut oil. She didn't even make it to the hospital. IIRC she was embarrassed about having to carry an epipen too.

kirblar

If not sarcastic, then that passage should definitely wake some folks up to the culture war in our country. When people feel justifiably mad about hearing an accent on the phone, they frequently move past racist into full blown culture warrior.

I got enough of that shit working retail back in the day. "Why are they speaking Spanish over there? Can't nobody understand a word of it."

IT'S NOT YOUR GODDAMN BUSINESS
My takeaway from a bunch of years doing customer service: Parents giving their kids "creative" spellings of traditional names is going to lead to a lifetime of resentment and frustration from the child.

Accents and foreign names are nothing relative to that.

studyguy

Dude, if that's the route you want to take, then take it. I'm personally done giving people the benefit of the doubt. My default position is skepticism until proven wrong. If the next or previous page makes some bigger point, then good for her, but the page that she decided to promote through retweeting is one that makes me side-eye her.

It's not some right wing pundit, it's fucking Katy Tur who's been fucking gung ho about shitting on Trump and his voters for a minute my dude. It's not a defense of her, it's a criticism of extreme short sightedness on poster's part. Blasting out a hot take on a single passage of a 400pg book or w/e is incredibly stupid. Fullstop.

It's not some right wing pundit, it's fucking Katy Tur who's been fucking gung ho about shitting on Trump and his voters for a minute my dude. It's not a defense of her, it's a criticism of extreme short sightedness on poster's part. Blasting out a hot take on a single passage of a 400pg book or w/e is incredibly stupid. Fullstop.

thank you for the note.

Allard

Except that's not what she says. She says "your patriotism gets called racism." She doesn't say "you can't say what you really think about minorities without being called racist" or even something like "you believe your patriotism gets called racism." There's an assumption that these people are at least supposed to be sympathetic.

Maybe that's cleared up in context! But she's also RTing it without context so that's on Katy.

Then maybe she shouldn't be so proud as to RT it and think that it stands on its own, when it does not.

Its an issue with the social media culture in general. I want to give her a benefit of the doubt because I remember how uncomfortable she claimed to have felt covering that entire campaign, how accosted she was at every turn by Trump supporters for being at the rallies and such as a member of the press (visible at all times). To me the lack of context in this case is important, because just knowing what she supposedly went through and what she talked about openly and privately (via surrogates speaking on her behalf who over heard conversations) I am left believing she is merely stating an understanding of a belief perhaps because she has heard it time and again throughout the campaign, to not know how they come to that reasoning even if that reasoning is wrong would be a disservice to her actual book on that campaign.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Cool dude. You do you and I'll do me.

studyguy

So, Trump kissed Katy Tur in what sounds like a very uncomfortable moment and we didn't know during the campaign...

Guy made a pass at that... Scandinavian reporter? on camera at some point around the 2nd month of his presidency. Didn't he recently comment on some other reporter's looks too last month about being blonde and beautiful or something? Guy's a creep.

Its an issue with the social media culture in general. I want to give her a benefit of the doubt because I remember how uncomfortable she claimed to have felt covering that entire campaign, how accosted she was at every turn by Trump supporters for being at the rallies and such as a member of the press (visible at all times). To me the lack of context in this case is important, because just knowing what she supposedly went through and what she talked about openly and privately (via surrogates speaking on her behalf who over heard conversations) I am left believing she is merely stating an understanding of a belief perhaps because she has heard it time and again throughout the campaign, to not know how they come to that reasoning even if that reasoning is wrong would be a disservice to her actual book on that campaign.

Maybe! But that's on her not to promote a segment of her book that reads as if she's literally sympathizing with the POV of people who felt such rage at her and voted for a white nationalist.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the alt right snuck a nazi symbol into Destiny 2 by way of the dumb "kekistan" thing. Bungie is taking it down, but man, the fucking alt right is everywhere these days. I thought they were against putting politics into our video games, but I guess video games are just supposed to be safe spaces for white supremacists who get triggered by diversity.

To make a long story short on what the reference is a -> b -> c.

pigeon

Banned
Maybe! But that's on her not to promote a segment of her book that reads as if she's literally sympathizing with the POV of people who felt such rage at her and voted for a white nationalist.

Yeah, I mean, if she felt like this was taken out of context maybe she should tweet a picture of the next page.

I do feel like this quote exemplifies the Marie Antoinette perspectives of so many people in the media. Cilizza is a symptom, not a condition. Lots of people in the media are fundamentally immune to consequence, then asked to provide a moral barometer for the country. Unsurprisingly this is not a strategy with great returns.

Apparently the alt right snuck a nazi symbol into Destiny 2 by way of the dumb "kekistan" thing. Bungie is taking it down, but man, the fucking alt right is everywhere these days. I thought they were against putting politics into our video games, but I guess video games are just supposed to be safe spaces for white supremacists who get triggered by diversity.

That's always been the dumbest talking point. Keeping diversity out of videogames is injecting politics into them.

Aside from everything that's already been said, that Katy Tur passage epitomizes a tendency of the media when talking about the electorate that I absolutely hate. Look at articles written after the 2012 election about Republican struggles with minority voters, and these voters are always talked about as an abstraction. There's discussion of the numbers and reasons why Republican messaging fails to appeal, but everything is couched in a way where people might as well just be replaced by numbers and statistics.

Now look at writing after 2016 (or 2004 for that matter) about white voters, and there is this intense focus on them as human beings that we need to empathize with. Instead of a bunch of statistics and polling results, we have reporters going to diners and truck stops to talk to them. Instead of dry passages about why this or that policy turns them off, we get tortured passages about their very personal struggles (they're having a harder time paying their bills and now they can't even give their kids a PB&J, just think how humiliating it must be for them!)

The media has very different standards for how they talk about white voters, and it's infuriating.

studyguy

Wow wtf
A developer did that or was that like some ingame editing program for clans?

Aside from everything that's already been said, that Katy Tur passage epitomizes a tendency of the media when talking about the electorate that I absolutely hate. Look at articles written after the 2012 election about Republican struggles with minority voters, and these voters are always talked about as an abstraction. There's discussion of the numbers and reasons why Republican messaging fails to appeal, but everything is couched in a way where people might as well just be replaced by numbers and statistics.

Now look at writing after 2016 (or 2004 for that matter) about white voters, and there is this intense focus on them as human beings that we need to empathize with. Instead of a bunch of statistics and polling results, we have reporters going to diners and truck stops to talk to them. Instead of dry passages about why this or that policy turns them off, we get tortured passages about their very personal struggles (they're having a harder time paying their bills and now they can't even give their kids a PB&J, just think how humiliating it must be for them!)

The media has very different standards for how they talk about white voters, and it's infuriating.

Reminds me of how the definition of working class seems to not include minorities.

studyguy

That should have been readily apparent with opioid/heroin addiction coverage in particular. Most Midwest states affected are shown in a light of compassion and understanding vs minorities in inner cities with the same exact issue being shown as victim to vices they should have avoided.

The downside is Trump's opioid response has been what? Call for wider enforcement of restrictions instead of treatment to those affected. All the reporting in the world isn't going to stop his admin from knocking your door down apparently whether you're white or brown so we're all the worse for it anyway on top of the disparity in media coverage.

My mom thinks banning peanut butter is stupid and just makes the allergies more common and she's super liberal

It is actually the case that feeding food containing peanuts to infants does reduce the risk of developing peanut allergies. But peanut bans are aimed at protecting kids who have already developed peanut allergies so that doesn't apply here.

Of course for the most part backlash against peanut bans is more just resentment about being told not to do something you've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom