• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
why

DJidQSfVwAAuCeR.jpg

The name of the book is the question that each and every family member should have asked as she walked out of the house.:/

pigeon

Banned
I am very hopeful that so many Dems are cosponsoring Bernie's bill. Presumably they've seen it and think it's something they can back, which hopefully means it's something we can pass.

kirblar

I am very hopeful that so many Dems are cosponsoring Bernie's bill. Presumably they've seen it and think it's something they can back, which hopefully means it's something we can pass.
Bernie talking up the Public Option months ago makes me think it's not.

How people react to that "compromise" in the future will be...interesting to see.

They talked about it on the PSA interview but Hillary thinks it's a meaningless show vote to say "we want to do this eventually" but would never actually happen.

The good thing is that it very clearly sets a plan in place, so it's not like Republicans talking about repeal and replace and only ever committing to the repeal portion.

It'll probably have to be watered down a bit to actually get a majority, but I feel pretty good about the next Democratic president getting something passed.

I've been to his site, but I'm still unclear on what this bill actually does.

studyguy

I've been to his site, but I'm still unclear on what this bill actually does.

That's a lot of people right now.
We'll have to run it down tomorrow, I expect it to be rough but so long as it's more grounded than that 2016 GOP healthcare bill, I'm gold. Honestly the last thing I need to see is a 2016 Ryan Care bill, literal right wing pipe dream bill that was never going to pass any scrutiny on this planet or the next.

Also what's on the next page of that Katy Tur book or surrounding it. I'm pretty tired of a single paragraph driving an entire book's narrative without anyone actually ever opening the pages.

Allard

We'll have to run it down tomorrow, I expect it to be rough but so long as it's more grounded than that 2016 GOP healthcare bill, I'm gold. Honestly the last thing I need to see is a 2016 Ryan Care bill, literal right wing pipe dream bill that was never going to pass any scrutiny on this planet or the next.

Also what's on the next page of that Katy Tur book or surrounding it. I'm pretty tired of a single paragraph driving an entire book's narrative without anyone actually ever opening the pages.

Yeah I want to know that too, you can 'get' what some people believe, doesn't mean you agree with it, need to remember she surrounded herself by his voters during the entire campaign cycle so that passage could easily be about her showing understanding of the beast and nothing more.

Blader

It makes every excuse for Trump voters except their own fucking racism.

She doesn't get it.

Excusing Nazism because your kid cant eat a PBJ sandwich in school, for one.

Just seems to me that she's articulating their rage back at them, not making an argument to the greater public about what drove Trump voters in the abstract. Though I guess that she thinks Trump voters are reading her book in the first place is probably misguided.

I don't get the ire. Even liberal friends of mine express frustration over some of these things.

Which things?

Just seems to me that she's articulating their rage back at them, not making an argument to the greater public about what drove Trump voters in the abstract. Though I guess that she thinks Trump voters are reading her book in the first place is probably misguided.

She's saying she "gets" their rage, as if legitimizing their points. Which are generally bad points.

I feel like that is the kind of passage that desperately needs the context of the following passage to be fully understood.

Like the next words could literally be "You racists."

edit: Yeah, I definitely read it as sarcastic as Antrax did

"Your eat genetically modified food and have to take heart medication so I understand why you would vote for a NeoNazi."

Well, Katy, I don't know what that says about you...

Allard

I am seriously trying to find where it is she is 'excusing' them in that passage. Just because you 'get' how someone feels, does not in anyway state an agreement for how they came to those beliefs. She is diagnosing an entire campaign and its voters, she was constantly accosted by them while she reported on them, I seriously doubt she has much sympathy for a good deal of those people, its literally playing devil's advocate, which is precisely why we need to see more then just that paragraph to see the full context.

kirblar

BTW, our fart in the wind faux-leftist troll nightmare in OT is finally over. Got too comfy and started posting up Rothschild conspiracies because of course they would be interested in pushing those, (because of course that's what their actual position was.)

I mean, that's the attitude. When she says "she gets it", she means "I understand these are the things ~60 million people believe".

I am seriously trying to find where it is she is 'excusing' them in that passage. Just because you 'get' how someone feels, does not in anyway state an agreement for how they came to those beliefs. She is diagnosing an entire campaign and its voters, she was constantly accosted by them while she reported on them, I seriously doubt she has much sympathy for a good deal of those people, its literally playing devil's advocate, which is precisely why we need to see more then just that paragraph to see the full context.

She's excusing their behavior by sympathizing with faux plights by being unable to make a racist joke, or being nationalistic, or having to press 1 for English. She literally says, "I get it." I wouldn't say she's "literally playing devil's advocate" when she's saying that she gets their POV.

Well, that part came from @LimeyLizzie
@Limeylizzie
I have to say that this description of some of the reasons Trump won, from @KatyTurNBC's book, is pretty spot-on
https://mobile.twitter.com/Limeylizzie/status/907621977229332481

And Katy Tur retweeted it. Just so happens I follow @KatyTurNBC

Step 1: Gives everyone healthcare

Bada bing bada boom

(He's revealing the full bill tomorrow so we'll have a better idea of the details)

His site mentions "providers" like he's not trying to change the wheel too much.

"Just walk in and present your card to your insurance provider" ...

Fox318

That passage is actually pretty on the spot IMO for many of those voters.

Issues of race and religion aren't going to overtake issues people face on a direct level. Biggest problem with discussing racism is trying to make people empathetic to a skin color you aren't and most likely don't know anyone who is different.

The only reason why the approval of same sex relationships and same sex marriage improved is because everyone started to come out of the closet and people started to have somebody they knew who was gay, Then they realized they weren't going around trying to convert people into watching Will and Grace.

I think you combine the changing demographics in the nation and people feeling like they are facing huge economic hurdles you aren't going to get them to vote for a platform like Hillary Clinton was trying to market.

That's why they vote against their interests. They are simply marketed to by conservative news.

I mean, that's the attitude. When she says "she gets it", she means "I understand these are the things ~60 million people believe".

I didn't read it like that because she's stating these things as facts, not that they're things they believe, and then sympathizing that she "gets" their POV, as if that POV is valid!

If you're trying to say that "I understand these are the things ~60 million people believe", then write it better.

studyguy

Again it seems w/e if the next follow up are discussing racism or the lead up couches that passage in the issues surrounding Trump's candidacy. If they don't then great, chalk it up as a shit take, otherwise it feels like yall are chopping yourselves at the knee for no reason through lack of context and chance at a cheap hot take.

His site mentions "providers" like he's not trying to change the wheel too much.

"Just walk in and present your card to your insurance provider" ...

The announcement states his bill has reached out to medical insurers, I'm curious to see if any insurer comments on the text once we get it.

Blader

Which things?

She's saying she "gets" their rage, as if legitimizing their points. Which are generally bad points.

I mean, she "gets" that that is what they think. But she prefaces the whole passage as these being apparently acceptable reasons for living in a "menacing, indecent, post-truth landscape," so it does not feel to me like a serious defense of those beliefs.

I mean, she "gets" that that is what they think. But she prefaces the whole passage as these being apparently acceptable reasons for living in a "menacing, indecent, post-truth landscape," so it does not feel to me like a serious defense of those beliefs.

She premises it as "I get why you voted this way because this is what you're going through". Again, it could be just poorly worded. But that was my initial reading of the passage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom