• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaco

Fragamemnon said:
if you have employer matching funds, there is never a bad time to start a 401k. Not even the stock market could beat the return you effectively get with an employer match.
Yeah I agree, but I guess I worded it wrong. Would the market affect my 401k, so when the market recovers would I see a boost at all?

Tamanon

Banned
Kintaco said:
Yeah I agree, but I guess I worded it wrong. Would the market affect my 401k, so when the market recovers would I see a boost at all?

Don't ever factor the market into your 401(k), dollar-cost averaging pretty much nullifies it. It's a good time to invest though, especially if you can afford it and you have employer match.

ViperVisor said:
Beck on TV will push my brother to yell at me to change it or he gets up to do it.

The other guys are complete tools or are entertaining. Beck is a mindfuck to reason.

Well Beck did write Loser, so he does some pretty crazy things. Have you seen him dance?

Nabs said:

t6qqtl.jpg

So uh... some of my Obama supporting friends are claiming McCain is a racist because he pointed at Obama and said "THAT one" during one of their finger pointing pissing exchanges during the debate. Is this getting any similar response in the press? Please say no, what a joke :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Bumblebeetuna said:
So uh... some of my Obama supporting friends are claiming McCain is a racist because he pointed at Obama and said "THAT one" during one of their finger pointing pissing exchanges during the debate. Is this getting any similar response in the press? Please say no, what a joke :lol

Not that he's racist, but that he's a condescending prick who disdains Obama. Which is true.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Going back a bit to the economist, just noticed Dani Rodrik's latest smackdown on the magazine here - http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_weblog/2008/10/will-globalization-be-reversed.html

OK, I am re-reading The Economist (even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day, right?) and in its latest issue Zanny Minton Beddoes gets the big picture right, I think:...

But then Zanny follows up with the following, which reads almost like a parody of The Economist:

OK, I grant that "freer and more flexible" is better than "heavy handed" but that would be true regardless of what follows after these qualifiers. This isn't analysis; it's ideology.
And fantastic ideology at that!

Joe

syllogism said:
"Obama purchases half hour of primetime on CBS, also in talks with FOX, NBC... DEVELOPING... "

Zuh
just saw this! wow. :lol obama's own 30 minutes of addressing the nation!

possible megaton here

thefro

syllogism said:
"Obama purchases half hour of primetime on CBS, also in talks with FOX, NBC... DEVELOPING... "

Zuh

He's not screwing around... guess it's true they made some serious bank in September because that'd be far down my priority list.

syllogism said:

Zuh

Ross Perot'd !

BenjaminBirdie said:
I hope everyone is watching Biden right now. He has a flamethrower today, man.

Rome was already burning. I blame the black folks that were 3% of the subprime problem.

Tamanon

Banned
syllogism said:

Zuh

Must be during the weekends or Friday, because I didn't think they ever sold primetime slots.

HylianTom

Banned
syllogism said:

Zuh

HELL YES!

While others often mock Perot for his infomercials, I've praised him for doing this in 1992 because they work. A third-party candidate leading after running infomercials? Not a coincidence.

So now Obama has decided to pull a similar stunt, something I've always wanted to see. Maybe it'll be on the Sunday night before the election, timed so that McCain's camp has little-to-no time to respond while Obama gets a convention speech-like bump in the following day or two.

I love the killer instinct of the folks running his campaign. :D

You can always just put your 401k money into bonds instead of stocks, usually you can choose from a whole basket of potentially disastrous investment vehicles when you allocate 401k money. Just please please please don't be a total idiot and put money into your own companies' stock.

Someone over at CR has a funny nickname- "The Notorious A.I.G."

Bumblebeetuna said:
Thats one of the things the MSM was harping on post debate.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Madonna tells Palin to "Get off of my street" at a concert in a way that is completely not annoying and totally not stupid.

Give me a billion Matt Damon "Does she believe dinosaurs and humans co-existed?" before you give me one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3vrmXRdOOs

LCGeek

formerly sane
Bumblebeetuna said:

Someone on the daily show made that jab. I hadn't even thought of the comment being like that until it was brung up, either way you cut the quote at the least it's dehumanizing and disrespectful. I say if anything McCain does more damage in his debates with his attitude towards obama than obama being strong on what he wants to do.

Fatalah

The Obama campaign will air a half-hour primetime special on Wednesday, Oct. 29, at 8 p.m.

Holy poop. See what I said about the dead space we have after the debates end? The Obama camp knows. THEY KNOW.

Tamanon

Banned
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/09/1523335.aspx

How did I feel about Sen. McCain stating “You probably never heard of Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac before this"[?]

Well Senator, I actually did. I like to think of myself as a fairly intelligent person. I have a bachelor degree in Political Science from Tennessee State, so I try to keep myself up to date with current affairs. I have a Master degree in Legal Studies from Southern Illinois University, a few years in law school, and I am currently pursuing a Master in Public Administration from the University of Memphis. In defense of the Senator from Arizona I would say he is an older guy, and may have made an underestimation of my age. Honest mistake.
However, it could be because I am a young African-American male. Whatever the case may be it was somewhat condescending regardless of my age to make an assumption regarding whether I was knowledgeable about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

The "Oliver" guy from the second debate.

Fatalah said:
The Obama campaign will air a half-hour primetime special on Wednesday, Oct. 29, at 8 p.m.

I can already predict the McCain response:

"Senator Obama, showing new proof that he is elitist and out-of-touch would spend millions of dollars in an infomercial, while millions of Americans on main street can't even watch television because they've been evicted from their house"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom