• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xisiqomelir

Amir0x said:
now your post is a little creepy too

I like Obama but coooooooome on

He is right. I'd buy that contract only a little slower than I bought my current one (because of the long time to payout).

Blackhead

Redarse
I posed this question mid afternoon:
Charred Greyface said:
A question for all those fans who have been following Obama's campaign for a long time:

Can you recall any faux pas made by the campaign or actions that taken that you didn't like?

Has he really run a flawless clean campaign?
And received a few responses:
Fatalah said:
They promised ice cream for all. FOR ALL. Not some! ALL!
Incognito said:
FISA cave. And assuming that because they had won Iowa, New Hampshire would simply follow suit. They basically glided into NH after Iowa, did a few high profile stump speeches and expected a win. It was nice to see that attitude change.
GhaleonEB said:
Obama has made some poorly worded slips (sweetie-gate, bitter-gate, etc.). I disagree with his FISA position, and wish he were even more progressive on gay marriage.

But from an organizational perspective? I can't think of anything. Everything is playing out the way Obama wanted: he spread the field of red states, his massive ground game registered millions of new voters, leaving public financing is enabling a huge spending advantage and he's surrounded himself with the best campaign managers and strategists out there.

Every time I've questioned a strategic move of Obama's, I've been proven wrong.
Steve Youngblood said:
I was disappointed in June, after he secured the nomination, when he backed off on his rhetoric against NAFTA. Not because I have strong feelings one way or another about NAFTA, mind you, but just because I did find it to be a moment where he was like every other politician out there. During the Ohio primary, both he and Clinton were trying to appear to be as against NAFTA as possible to win the state, but once he secured the nomination, it became clear that this was more pandering to a specific demographic than in a true belief one way or another about the issue.
gcubed said:
FISA was my biggest gripe with Obama, and when he talked about grounding NASA for a few years
The Lamonster said:
He also gets better and better in the debates. I expect his best performance next Wednesday.
ToxicAdam said:
It's not a huge issue (well, it is to me) but he was against NASA and the increased funding for the space program (specifically, the Moon/Mars programs).

He then changed his position in April.

Thanks to everybody who replied so far. If anybody else has a response I'd love to hear it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Justin Bailey said:
Seriously people?

In some cases, hell yes.

I never thought I'd say this but I can sympathize with a republican voting republican for the sake of voting for his party, but I actually get angry when I see a jacked up 4X4 with a giant confederate flag filled rear window sporting a McCain sticker.

My blood pressure definitely rises.

Cloudy said:
- Very rich people who don't wanna pay more taxes
- Military people who feel he's "earned it"

Ok, I can't think of any more :p

-Radical Feminists who want to see a woman in the white house even if they have to kill a 72 year old man to make it happen

Tobor

Cloudy said:
- Very rich people who don't wanna pay more taxes
- Military people who feel he's "earned it"

Ok, I can't think of any more :p

He said rational, and that opinion is not rational.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
belvedere said:
In some cases, hell yes.

I never thought I'd say this but I can sympathize with a republican voting republican for the sake of voting for his party, but I actually get angry when I see a jacked up 4X4 with a giant confederate flag filled rear window sporting a McCain sticker.

My blood pressure definitely rises.
To my defense, these are the only people I've ever seen that actually have a McCain sticker on their cars.

Always a truck. Always someone with either Nascar, or Calvin peeing on something, or a huge American flag window covering...something hickish. Every time.

Once I saw a random McCain supporter driving a car. I was flabbergasted, but as I drove by it was just some really old person. I forgave them because they're senile and kept driving.

ObamaTV confirmed!!!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/09/obama-purchasing-30-min-of-network-airtime/

Obama purchasing 30 minutes of network airtime
From CNN Senior Producer Sasha Johnson

(CNN) – Barack Obama is buying 30 minutes of airtime on the major television networks just days before the presidential election, the Obama campaign confirms.

Sources with the Obama campaign say half hour blocks have been purchased on Wednesday, October 29. The campaign would not disclose which networks the airtime has been purchased on, but a Hollywood reporter story said earlier Thursday the campaign has already reached a deal with CBS and is in talks with NBC and Fox.

RubxQub said:
It's not a Republican thing, I can support Republicans. It's McCain/Palin supporters that drive me up the wall.

This. I have no problem with differences of opinion and philosophy. I do have an officially large problem with not standing up to the lunatics you've started feeding, intentionally or inadvertently. McCain is a coward who cannot stand up against the intolerance he used to rail against, especially now when someone's life is literally at stake.

Xisiqomelir

Charred Greyface said:
Thanks to everybody who replied so far. If anybody else has a response I'd love to hear it.

-FISA flip-flop to the Team Evil POV
-Not picking our girl Kate for VP
-Not making a Carol McCain ad

besada

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
Nah, it's not the motors at this point: it's the batteries. We need a Manhattan Project style program to develop battery technology. We're close (MIT nanotube-based ultra-capacitors), but we need to inject some public funding to bring that type of technology down to mass market production prices.

We need batteries too, but engine could still use plenty of work. There's a ton of work to be done in recapturing electricity and approving efficiency. More importantly, all of the car companies have been working on the assumption that they can get away with heavy, uneven bodies in cars and pay for it in mileage efficiency. They can radically cut weight and increase structural integrity by moving to 21st century materials.

Most modern car lines are still built off frames and designs pioneered in the fifties. The car needs a major rethink. Cars aren't going away. China and India are going to be huge vehicular markets in the coming years, and there's no reason they shouldn't be driving American high-efficiency super cars.

I don't think it's either/or. We need to do both and more. Solar, hydrogen, wind and water; we should be pouring the kind of money into green tech that we did with biotech in the eighties. The future markets are huge and hungry for the technology.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Obama buys 30 minutes of network primetime, on Oct. 29:
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/09/1524038.aspx

Obama buys 30 minutes of prime time
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 5:09 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Obama, Ads

From NBC/NJ's Athena Jones
The Obama camp is confirming they have bought 30 minutes of air time in primetime on "the networks" Oct. 29.

Edit: Imagine what this must have cost...

Flo_Evans

Amir0x said:
now your post is a little creepy too

I like Obama but coooooooome on

Who is Obama most compared to?

50centCoin_obv.jpg

I'm not saying anytime soon, it will probably 50 years from now and dependent on how his presidency actually goes, but it's not that far fetched for a 'modern' president to end up on our coinage.

Xisiqomelir

ElectricBlue187 said:
FISA and NASA really made me wonder there for a while if I could trust anything he says

I think it's important to distinguish between these two.

For FISA, he was correct to start out with, and then for some unfathomable reason switched to the side of the wicked Telcos and the corrupt Bush admin. This was a terrible flip-flop.

For NASA, he was wrong to start out with, but then chose the path of knowledge and advancement for the human race. This was admitting error and switching to the correct decision.

Keylime

Joe Scarbs doing Race for the White House on MSNBC...

As if I didn't hate David Gregory enough, now I have to listen to Joe Scarbs. Yep, I have to.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BenjaminBirdie said:
This. I have no problem with differences of opinion and philosophy. I do have an officially large problem with not standing up to the lunatics you've started feeding, intentionally or inadvertently. McCain is a coward who cannot stand up against the intolerance he used to rail against, especially now when someone's life is literally at stake.

Pretty much. There's good and evil on both sides. If it were a democrat completely reversing their policies and beliefs in such a blatant way I'd be just as critical of them.

Tobor

Flo_Evans said:
Who is Obama most compared to?

halfdollar.gif

I'm not saying anytime soon, it will probably 50 years from now and dependent on how his presidency actually goes, but it's not that far fetched for a 'modern' president to end up on our coinage.

I would hope that in 50 years, we wouldn't be using coinage at all.

Rasmussen numbers

Florida 10/8, 700 LV, 4%
Obama 50, McCain 47

Indiana 10/7, 500 LV, 4.5%
McCain 50, Obama 43

Michigan 10/8, 500 LV, 4.5%
Obama 56, McCain 40

New Jersey 10/7, 500 LV, 4.5%
Obama 50, McCain 42
Sen: Lautenberg(D) 51, Zimmer (R-i) 37

North Carolina 10/8, 700 LV, 4%
Obama 49, McCain 48

Indiana seems like it will stay just out of reach.

Xisiqomelir said:
For NASA, he was wrong to start out with, but then chose the path of knowledge and advancement for the human race. This was admitting error and switching to the correct decision.

The problem is he only did it because McCain made a big deal out of it and because of popular opinion

Flo_Evans

Stoney Mason said:
Indiana seems like it will stay just out of reach.

Never liked that state anyway.

I know allot of people are saying "if McCain wins I am moving to Canada" and shit like that hell I said shit like that in 2004. But mark my words, if my state votes McCain I am moving to a blue state (probably to IL, good thing it is right across the river :lol ).

Keylime

Isn't it really sad, though?

Why doesn't anyone question the fact that the moment the economy turned bad, McCain's support started following suit? It's like everyone knew he sucked on the economy all along, but all of a sudden they were reminded of how important it was and how they can't just take it for granted.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Went into a Japanese bookstore last week and saw this hilarious poster with Obama's face on it, and it said "FIRST BRACK KENNEDY!"

FU-SUTO BURRAKU KEN-NAJI~!!!!!!!!!111

:D

Xisiqomelir

Extollere said:
Went into a Japanese bookstore last week and saw this hilarious poster with Obama's face on it, and it said "FIRST BRACK KENNEDY!"

FU-SUTO BURRAKU KEN-NAJI~!!!!!!!!!111

:D

Please get a picture of this.

Mercury Fred said:
Holy fucking shit: McCain supporters in PA

I want to throw up after watching this. These people are animals, plain and simple.

Actually, what I find most interesting and somewhat amusing about them is how so many of them are reluctant to say "Yes, Obama's a terrorist." They'll scream his middle name, Ayers, "secret Muslim," ACORN, Wright, etc., and make every conceivable connection between him and terrorism, but if you ask them "Is he a terrorist?" they just can't say yes. I don't know what that means, but I find it interesting.

Keylime

Joe Scarbs, super fuckbag.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Scarborough is such a bad moderator. It's almost Tom Brokaw-esque.

Wray

I love the idea of Obama buying up time on CBS. But why didnt he buy up time on the night before the election? Dont you think that woulda been a better move?

Doesnt give time for any bump from that to fade or get lost and it doesnt give McCain time to respond or put out his own version.

seat

faceless007 said:
Actually, what I find most interesting and somewhat amusing about them is how so many of them are reluctant to say "Yes, Obama's a terrorist." They'll scream his middle name, Ayers, "secret Muslim," ACORN, Wright, etc., and make every conceivable connection between him and terrorism, but if you ask them "Is he a terrorist?" they just can't say yes. I don't know what that means, but I find it interesting.
Are we watching the same video?

0:30
"Who's the terrorist?"
"Obama."

0:34
"Obama's a terrorist, don't you know that?"

0:37
"Obama's a Muslim, he's a terrorist himself!"

faceless007 said:

It's the power of a crowd. People are naturally emboldened by anonymity. Implying anything directly puts the focus on them and not the public.

I bet if you were to pull any of these people away from the crowd and ask them the same questions, you'd get wildly different answers.

Wray said:
I love the idea of Obama buying up time on CBS. But why didnt he buy up time on the night before the election? Dont you think that woulda been a better move?

Doesnt give time for any bump from that to fade or get lost and it doesnt give McCain time to respond or put out his own version.

I think it's moot. The night before might seem more gimmicky to some. Doing it a week before allows reaction from the media to spread it and people to see it via online sources.

Hootie

Wait, what the hell is this ACORN thing people are blabbering about? I swear, I'm starting to drop behind the PoliGAF pack.

ghibli99

Haven't been keeping up, but are Obama and Biden hitting the McCain Resurgence Plan full-force today? It makes my blood boil just thinking about it, and I can't believe I haven't been hearing more about it these past two days. Additionally, are they talking about the economy/financial markets right now, or just the same topics (Iraq, renewable energy, etc.)? I'm starting to get a little frustrated that nothing really substantive has been coming out of either Obama or McCain's mouth (McCain/Palin are far worse; their campaign right now is despicable, desperate and I can't believe what I'm hearing). People are scared shitless about the economy right now, and I hope it's been at the forefront today.

I must say that I really think these super jingoistic racist voters and the GOP are going to go through a messy divorce very soon. If Obama wins this, I really believe the Republicans will have to revisit their entire strategy if they're to win another election. The voting base they pander too is seeing some serious dwindling numbers.

EricM85

Job Creators Prefer John McCain 4-to-1 Over Barack Obama

Chief Executive magazine’s most recent polling of 751 CEOs shows that GOP presidential candidate John McCain is the preferred choice for CEOs. According to the poll, which is featured on the cover of Chief Executive’s most recent issue, by a four-to-one margin, CEOs support Senator John McCain over Senator Barack Obama. Moreover, 74 percent of the executives say they fear that an Obama presidency would be disastrous for the country.

...“We’ve been experiencing consecutive job losses for nine months now. There’s no doubt that reviving the job market will be a top priority for the incoming president. And job creating CEOs repeatedly tell us that McCain’s policies are far more conducive to a more positive employment environment than Obama’s.”

Even though CEOs rated McCain’s policies over Obama’s in the most recent polling, their support came with reservations, as can be witnessed by the B- grade given to McCain’s overall policies. McCain received strong marks for defense and foreign policy but only a C+ on energy, environment and education. Conversely, Barack Obama’s overall plan received a barely passing C- with four out of eight policy areas receiving D grades. Neither candidate received an A.

More at link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom