• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Didn't McCain say he would follow Bin Laden to the "depths of hell" ? :lol

"I'll get Osama bin Laden, my friends. I'll get him. I know how to get him. I'll get him no matter what and I know how to do it."

It would've been awesome if he could illuminate Bush on how exactly....

1-D_FTW

CharlieDigital said:
LTTP on this, but if you read their site and the wiki page, you'll see that this is their purpose. This quote best sums up their view:

"Because the gun issue has recently become a factor in the Democratic primary in Pennsylvania, I want to share the remarks I made today... [Millions of gun owners] not only wanted an organization that would protect their gun rights but an organization that was also committed to the protection of their communities as well as the protection of our lands."​

I've been kind of puzzled by this debate too. From the posts here, it reads like they support gun rights, but not assault rifles. I'm sure there are some hunters out there who don't use AK-47s and don't feel like they're necessary for hunting.

alright everyone, its friday. troopergate, dow/world markets crashing, world econ leaders converging on washington to try and figure things out...

sounds like the best time to go to a state you're down 5+ points in with under 4 weeks to go and bring up ayers, don'tchaknow.

ill be back at 3, i hope mccain doesnt disappoint.

oh, and since there are less than 4 weeks to go, do any of you think that the public will get to see his medical file? just wondering.

and for good measure, i hope everyone out there knows that obama loves terrorists, has his education funded by them, he's a secret muslim who's best friends with unrepentant ones, and has such horrible judgment no one knows who he is, what he stands for, and im scared for this country because if he gets elected it will diminish the office of the presidency.

economy? pish!

Fjolle

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Didn't McCain say he would follow Bin Laden to the "depths of hell" ? :lol
Sure.. He already realised that they will both be in the last circle of hell whenever they get there...

greepoman

kkaabboomm said:
alright everyone, its friday. troopergate, dow/world markets crashing, world econ leaders converging on washington to try and figure things out...

sounds like the best time to go to a state you're down 5+ points in with under 4 weeks to go and bring up ayers, don'tchaknow.

ill be back at 3, i hope mccain doesnt disappoint.

Oh and don't forget the most important thing...Bush actually speaks this morning. Maybe he's been working for weeks on some great speach...or maybe he'll just get up there and say, "F$ck it, I'm out" and leave the country.

I think the point I was trying to make is that Republicans bash Obama for wanting to go into Pakistan if they have credible intel. that UBL is hiding in the regions that borders Afghanistan, yet McCain says he'll follow UBL no matter where he is. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ElectricBlue187 said:
"I'll get Osama bin Laden, my friends. I'll get him. I know how to get him. I'll get him no matter what and I know how to do it."

". . . as long as he doesn't hide on a hard to reach top shelf"

MassiveAttack said:
b37a672064cd20ba06d25454bc0adc5d.jpg
The SAT is a liberal elitist test full of "gotcha" questions.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Citigroup has dropped its efforts to enforce its exclusivity agreement, will now seek only damages for breach of contract.

Wells Fargo/Wachovia merger is GO.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Hitokage said:
Citigroup has dropped its efforts to enforce its exclusivity agreement, will now seek only damages for breach of contract.

Already celebrating up here in Winston. Let's hope Citi doesn't get a big chunk of the deposits in their lawsuit.

Hitokage said:

Citigroup is being so fucking dickish about this at the worst possible time. Fuck them.

saelz8

NYT - The Class War Before Palin

David Brooks said:
But over the past few decades, the Republican Party has driven away people who live in cities, in highly educated regions and on the coasts. This expulsion has had many causes. But the big one is this: Republican political tacticians decided to mobilize their coalition with a form of social class warfare. Democrats kept nominating coastal pointy-heads like Michael Dukakis so Republicans attacked coastal pointy-heads.

Over the past 15 years, the same argument has been heard from a thousand politicians and a hundred television and talk-radio jocks. The nation is divided between the wholesome Joe Sixpacks in the heartland and the oversophisticated, overeducated, oversecularized denizens of the coasts.

What had been a disdain for liberal intellectuals slipped into a disdain for the educated class as a whole. The liberals had coastal condescension, so the conservatives developed their own anti-elitism, with mirror-image categories and mirror-image resentments, but with the same corrosive effect.

Republicans developed their own leadership style. If Democratic leaders prized deliberation and self-examination, then Republicans would govern from the gut.

George W. Bush restrained some of the populist excesses of his party — the anti-immigration fervor, the isolationism — but stylistically he fit right in. As Fred Barnes wrote in his book, “Rebel-in-Chief,” Bush “reflects the political views and cultural tastes of the vast majority of Americans who don’t live along the East or West Coast. He’s not a sophisticate and doesn’t spend his discretionary time with sophisticates. As First Lady Laura Bush once said, she and the president didn’t come to Washington to make new friends. And they haven’t.”

The political effects of this trend have been obvious. Republicans have alienated the highly educated regions — Silicon Valley, northern Virginia, the suburbs outside of New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and Raleigh-Durham. The West Coast and the Northeast are mostly gone.

The Republicans have alienated whole professions. Lawyers now donate to the Democratic Party over the Republican Party at 4-to-1 rates. With doctors, it’s 2-to-1. With tech executives, it’s 5-to-1. With investment bankers, it’s 2-to-1. It took talent for Republicans to lose the banking community.

Conservatives are as rare in elite universities and the mainstream media as they were 30 years ago. The smartest young Americans are now educated in an overwhelmingly liberal environment.

This year could have changed things. The G.O.P. had three urbane presidential candidates. But the class-warfare clichés took control. Rudy Giuliani disdained cosmopolitans at the Republican convention. Mitt Romney gave a speech attacking “eastern elites.” (Mitt Romney!) John McCain picked Sarah Palin.

Palin is smart, politically skilled, courageous and likable. Her convention and debate performances were impressive. But no American politician plays the class-warfare card as constantly as Palin. Nobody so relentlessly divides the world between the “normal Joe Sixpack American” and the coastal elite.

She is another step in the Republican change of personality. Once conservatives admired Churchill and Lincoln above all — men from wildly different backgrounds who prepared for leadership through constant reading, historical understanding and sophisticated thinking. Now those attributes bow down before the common touch.

And so, politically, the G.O.P. is squeezed at both ends. The party is losing the working class by sins of omission — because it has not developed policies to address economic anxiety. It has lost the educated class by sins of commission — by telling members of that class to go away.

greepoman

Oh god, foxnews is scared of the large number of young voters registering and is basically implying they're too stupid to vote lol.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hitokage said:

And oooonly $60B in damages!

DSWii60

Are my eyes deceiving me or is the DOW already 450 down?

And in the time it took for me type that the DOW is now 600 down.

And now 670 down. So at least the rate of going down is slowing.

saelz8 said:

Decent read although fairly obvious for the most part to anybody who is remotely familiar with politics.

You can't help but think Brooks is also upset mainly because the strategy just hasn't been working so well recently so I think he's coming at it more from a practicality angle than necessarily true contempt.

It is what it is. The modern Republican party is increasingly a Southern religious culture party of white Americans. That doesn't make it racist or evil but it does make it fairly non-inclusive if you aren't that type of person.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Um. Why is the Dow down 1,362?

edit: Down 554. Google Finance is shit when it comes to reloading data.

DSWii60 said:
Are my eyes deceiving me or is the DOW already 450 down?

And in the time it took for me type that the DOW is now 600 down.

And now 670 down. So at least the rate of going down is slowing.

Uh Hello. Rev Wright. William Ayers!

Focus on what is important please!!

Rur0ni

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows Barack Obama attracting 50% of the vote while John McCain earns 45%. Those figures are unchanged from yesterday and mark the fifteenth straight day that Obama’s support has ranged from 50% to 52% while McCain has been at 44% of 45%

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
harSon said:
What the fuck? She got into something other then a Junior College with a 2.2 GPA and SATs under a 1000 out of 1600? I got passed up by several colleges with a 3.3 GPA and a 1960 on my SATs... Fuck that shit :lol

i cant believe it myself. i took the SATs when it was out of 1600. english is my second language, and my english score alone was around 600 .. how the hell did she get a 425 on it!!! :lol

gcubed

most economists have been saying that when the DOW hits 8000, the corrections are mainly done and thats about the low point real value of the DOW and you'll start seeing investors trying to jump in for deals. We'll see how that pans out

saelz8 said:

Great read.

I grew up in the Midwest (MI), in a non-union family. My earliest political views were solidly conservative, with a few doses of liberal positions. Even as I grew more liberal into adulthood and now into my forties, I resisted identifying myself as liberal, and some of the core aspects of conservatism (personal responsibility, smaller government) appeal to me. But as the GOP has abandoned those ideals, and has increasingly identified itself as described above, I finally registered as a Democrat (having already been voting that way my whole adult life).

What the GOP needs is a core of conservative elites. He may be a tool at times, but the GOP needs more George Wills and fewer George Bushes.

greepoman said:
Oh god, foxnews is scared of the large number of young voters registering and is basically implying they're too stupid to vote lol.
Are we sure that they registered legitimately? I'm sure that's something worth checking into.

It's all just so insane. Bush has had a massive terrorist attack. A near Depression. A bogus war. And a city drowned with a lame federal response.

Now all those are at various levels of culpability but i still find it an amazing comment that a large group of people want to give his party another 4 years in office. If all this shit had happened under a democrat it would be another 40 years in the political wilderness. Oh America.

Last rant post of the day.

MaddenNFL64

All these "elitist" intellectual conservatives must feel left out. Their own presidential candidate, and his running mate, show complete disdain for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom