• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

OuterWorldVoice said:
We are lucky, in a way that Japanese adherence to Bushido and other aspects of their philosophy, allowed them to accept a "beating" and move on.

I can't think of a Western country that would be so forgiving.
America also helped rebuild their country and make their economy not dependent on silk stockings.

GhaleonEB

numble said:
2929305147_19e6e88f89.jpg

From 538's experience at a Palin rally in Ohio.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/on-road-dueling-rallies-ohio.html
Palin's rally featured the more impressive entrance, with giant video screens showing the crowd the slowly turning campaign bus as it approached the cavernous inside venue. Finally, the fog machines hit high blast, the huge blue curtain parted, and the bus drove right inside the hall. As "Eye of the Tiger" blasted over the loudspeakers, Palin bounded on stage to a full-throated roar. It was some pretty sweet stagecraft, (even if had Obama tried it he'd have been ridiculed for behaving as a "celebrity").
The fuck? I kept waiting for the punchline. :lol :lol :lol

TDG

Banned
Hitokage said:
Japanese leadership was split near the end of the war between the faction of WE WILL FIGHT TO THE LAST MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD and the faction of WTF ARE YOU INSANE?. Unfortunately, efforts to seek out a surrender originally wanted to do so with a strong ally, particularly Russia, which didn't really work out.
Yep. I don't entirely object to Hiroshima, tyhough I think Nagasaki was disgustingly unneccesary. I'm only saying, the idea of Japan surrendering wasn't out of the question, with patience it likely would've happened.

Plus, it's not like they were in any position to counterattack or something, they were essentially no longer a threat to us (not that they were ever really a threat to anything except our "interests, and Hawaii/our Pacific bases.)

JayDubya

Banned
Hitokage said:
The japanese either deliberately mixed military and civilian interests or simply didn't differentiate between the two. Of course, this doesn't excuse stuff like firebombing, but even if you tried extra hard to take out only military targets then you'd still have killed a huge number of civilians.

The notion of collateral damage in a just war is not an easy one to stomach, but I understand and accept it, such that my criticism of such events usually hangs on that "just" part.

The notion of deliberately picking civilian targets is not one that we should ever accept, or ever forgive.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.thepresidentialcandidates.us/founder-of-readers-digest-pal-of-terrorists/913/

Founder Of Reader’s Digest “Pal Of Terrorists” ???

By admin on Oct 10, 2008 in John McCain

The founder of Reader’s Digest, Walter Annenberg, provided Bill Ayers with a $49.2 million education grant in the 1990s.

Do you understand just how ridiculous the McCain campaign’s claims about Obama “palling around with terrorists” really are yet?

Not only did Annenberg found the Reader’s Digest but he was also a good friend of Ronald Reagan. His widow, Leonore Annenberg, served on the same board that Obama & Ayers served on together (for the Annenberg Challenge.)

Leonore Annenberg is now a supporter of John McCain, the McCain campaign was proud enough of her endorsement that they included it in a press release.
But using the McCain campaign’s standards, she also “pals around with terrorists.” Should they be accepting the endorsement of someone like that?

Read this for more information.

The McCain campaign’s attempts to smear Obama with this ridiculous “guilt by association” tactic is enough to make any thinking person nauseous. It’s despicable because it’s so intellectually dishonest. It’s clear that when Obama met William Ayers he was not a “terrorist.” His radical days were well behind him. He was a respected professor when Obama met him in the mid ’90s.

old? lulz mccain

Not to stray further from the topic but Dresden was absolutely terrible in both it's destruction and need. It was unnecessary. There really was no excuse for it.

JayDubya said:
It's not the development of the atom bomb I take issue with, its possession, or even its use. My issue with Hiroshima and Nagasaki as targets is that the bomb was used to deliberately target civilians and do as much "psychological damage" as possible.

Wreaks of terrorism to me, only when the "good guys" do it, it's okay.

art.rev.wright.ap.jpg

"I've been trying to tell 'em!"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
JayDubya said:
What needed to be done differently preceded that date.

Once the "Day that will live in infamy" arrived, you of course declare war on Japan. Japan's allies are obligated to to declare war on you.

A few major differences spring to mind immediately as horrific and inappropriate: Japanese Internment Camps, Dresden, Hiroshima, Nagasaki.

What I'm getting at is: so you'd still "enslave" American citizens for the war effort?

Because, you know, saying that you would have prevented the attack from happening if given the power earlier is a cop-out when examining your position on the draft and whether it can be necessary under extreme circumstances. If you think it can be necessary, I would wonder why you're so vocal about it having been a despicable act in WW2, and if you think it should never be used then I'd hope that you recognize the consequences of that position for the world and for the US.

hokahey said:
I live in St. Charles county to the west, which I'm sure you know.

Yes the forum is a mess, but A LOT of people post there, and there are a lot of people on there that seem willing to be influenced by the general sentiment of the board.
Well, I live out west, I'd say you live up north.

But yeah I may spend some time in those forums because I really want MO to turn blue this year. Have you been volunteering for the campaign? It's a lot of fun.

JayDubya

Banned
EviLore said:
What I'm getting at is: so you'd still "enslave" American citizens for the war effort?

Ah, that's what you were getting at: the draft re: WW2.

In that case, no, absolutely not.

I said it above and I meant it. A just cause has no shortage of volunteers. A job that pays well has plenty of applicants. Between these two statements, a slave soldier should not be needed. If slave soldiers are needed, perhaps the merits of that cause require reexamining.

Zeliard

Well, at least McCain is coming to Obama's defense now. Dumbass crowd booed him when he said that they shouldn't be afraid of Obama. Sigh.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It looks like McCain is getting pissed about the direction of his campaign. It looks like he has lost the mob already.

Tamanon

Banned
Zeliard said:
Well, at least McCain is coming to Obama's defense now. Dumbass crowd booed him when he said that they shouldn't be afraid of Obama. Sigh.

It is a bit of a mixed message, he's doing damage control now, and it's really looking awkward.:lol

devilhawk said:
You take this research as proof that the surge was simply a timely coincidence to the 'results' from ethnic cleansing. I am saying that counting fewer night lights from a satellite could be just as coincidental to the 'results' of the surge. I am not saying the researchers at UCLA and elsewhere can't count, just that night lights don't prove much and could have less relation to their theory.

Just wanted to go back to the surge issue.

The Sunni Arab community in Anbar Province had already begun to organize against Al Qaeda long before the surge. Zarqawi's successor wanted to create an islamic state, and dismissed Sunni insurgents as infidels. The Sunnis retaliated, so Abu Risha and other Sunni tribesmen went to U.S. commanders to ask for weapons, thus resulting to the Sunni Awakening. By spring of 2007, long before the surge was fully in affect, the sunnis pushed back Al Qaeda, something U.S. troops couldn't do in years.

What happened next was that the U.S. military and Iraq replicated the sucess of the Sunni Awakening in Bagdad. The U.S. and the Iraqis had a helping hand with the ethnic cleansing in Bagdad. These neighborhoods were once Shia/Sunni mixed communities, but now consisted of either all Sunni or Shia communities. Soon later, Sunnis fled Iraq to neighboring countries. This allowed General Petraeus to use the extra troops from the surge and to establish a "neighborhood containment", building 16 foot barries in local communties to prevent outsiders from entering and root out any terrorists in hiding.

Another variable that reduced violence in Bagdad was the struggle in Najaf and Karbala between the Badr Brigade and Sadr's Mahdi Army. Sadr's Mahdi Army broke into various gangs and Sadr lost all control of his men, so Sadr called for a ceasefire agreement. Weeks later, the violence dropped. From then on, the Iraqi military were allowed to focus more on Diyala and Basra.

So if anything, it was the Sunni Awakening and the ceasefire from Sadr's army that reduced the violence in Iraq. What would've happened if the surge never happened? Hard to say, but I think nothing would've changed. Only difference would be that General Petraeus would have less troops to work with in using the Sunni Awakening strategy.

Shiggie

Imm0rt4l said:
anyone see mccain say "he is a decent person, and not someone you should be afraid of in the whitehouse"?
I saw the full video on hardball the crowd was booing McCain when he said this.

GhaleonEB

Some good early voting and registration numbers tricking out of Ohio. Nothing state-wide, but some individual county reports.

Nearly 8.2 million people are on the voter rolls in Ohio, including 665,949 added this year, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner announced yesterday after Monday's registration deadline.

That means 94 percent of eligible voters in Ohio are registered, based on U.S. Census Bureau estimates.

Brunner predicts turnout of 80 percent, which would mean 6.5 million Ohioans casting ballots. By comparison, 5.7 million voted in the 2004 presidential election.

Absentee voting in Ohio started Sept. 30. Most of the partisans who have voted early in Franklin County are Democrats, according to data provided by the county elections board. Of the 9,280 people who had cast absentee ballots in person as of Monday, 3 percent were registered Republicans and 39 percent were Democrats, records show. The rest were unaffiliated.

Of the 2,097 people who also registered to vote before casting an absentee ballot in Franklin County, two-thirds were younger than 34 and nearly 80 percent were from Columbus.

Statewide totals weren't available, but a check of the five counties with the most voters showed that of the nearly 28,500 people who had voted in person in those counties since Sept. 30, more than 5,200 also registered in that time frame.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Seeing the footage...man. My heart almost goes out to the guy. This is so clearly out of his hands.
He knew what he was doing. Now it's snowballing. I can't sympathize with him.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Seeing the footage...man. My heart almost goes out to the guy. This is so clearly out of his hands.

Mine doesn't. McCain let the assholes in his campaign go here, he unleashed "Sarah Barracuda". You cant give him credit for trying to stop it now.

Zeliard said:

I wonder how much of this backtracking is the result of Obama challenging him to bring these issues up during next week's debate? McCain's camp has to realize that he'd be the first candidate to ever get booed during a televised debate if he dared to.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i have to give it up for mccain for standing up to the crowd. props.
:/ well, its past due. Given the last two weeks of his campaign, I think he's about to start doing what he can to set up the Palin 2012, which they will convince themselves is a good idea :p

Barrett2

GhaleonEB said:
Some good early voting and registration numbers.

[*]Brunner predicts turnout of 80 percent, which would mean 6.5 million Ohioans casting ballots. By comparison, 5.7 million voted in the 2004 presidential election..

@_@

80% turnout is huge. Would that be an all time high if this trend is nationwide?

mj1108

BenjaminBirdie said:

Why feel sorry for him? His campaign didn't have to pull the crap they've tried to.

hokahey

The Lamonster said:
Well, I live out west, I'd say you live up north.

But yeah I may spend some time in those forums because I really want MO to turn blue this year. Have you been volunteering for the campaign? It's a lot of fun.

How is St. Charles county north?

I've been volunteering when i can, but I have a wife and two kids and ZERO free time except when I'm at work ironically enough, like right now.

I've donated money and have my yard sign and bumper stickers. :D

I also spend a lot of time talking to people on line and off presenting Obama's positions.

Zeliard

Holy shit at that shot Shrum took at Buchanan. :lol

"I didn't go to jail like most of the people who worked with you for Richard Nixon."

JayDubya said:
Scratch those two off my list. Ugh.

Such a list would be difficult to populate, as most politicians are rather slimy individuals not worthy of admiration.

My list would have to include folks like Barry Goldwater, Robert Taft, and Ron Paul, and I suppose I could get more exhaustive but why bother, when I'm sure the point's been made: paleoconservatives with strong personal freedom agendas "deserve my admiration."

I wonder if you could give me a Democrat version that included anyone worthy of admiration. Considering how in bizarro world Ted Kennedy deserves to be lauded, I think such a list would be amusing.

I suppose you could always cheat and go back to the original incarnation of that party; you had Hamilton's Federalist Party vs. Jefferson's Democratic Republican Party, and technically that includes such figures as Jefferson and Madison within the ranks of what has now become the Democratic Party.
How about just a general list of the presidents you do admire, Jay?

3rdman

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah...it was hard to watch and not feel for him. To be surrounded by such stupidity and to still desire their support must be very strange and humiliating....

Fox318

XxenobladerxX said:
Shit just got real on hard ball.

"I didn't go to jail like most of the people who worked with you for Richard Nixon."
Pat has been geting hit at both sides for his comments recently. I think hes just trying to describe the political side of the McCain attacks while everyone else is saying what its doing for this country. Regardless I think McCain's statements recently have shown that he does not run his campaign. The people who jumped off Bush have planted themselves on Palin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom