• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1n9tean

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
TBH, I don't even know when the last time that name even crossed my mind :lol

I thought he was dead :lol

But then again, I'm Asian, so I can't speak for my darker skinned brotha's

BTW, who is the most powerful and influential Asian American? I'm curious :lol I need to know who the fuck I'm supposed to be looking up to for political and moral guidance :lol

William Hung is an Asian leader CONFIRMED.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

AndyIsTheMoney said:
so Farrakhan isn't a powerful and influential black person? is that what political gaf is saying now? really? good god just because he is an influential and powerful black leader doesn't mean all black people are mindless zombies who follows him.

i swear it amazes me what some of you come up with just not to agree with someone who has a different opinion than you.

So you've gone from "he's a leader of black people" to "he's a leader who's black"... yea whatever man.

AndyIsTheMoney said:
so Farrakhan isn't a powerful and influential black person? is that what political gaf is saying now? really? good god just because he is an influential and powerful black leader doesn't mean all black people are mindless zombies who follows him.

i swear it amazes me what some of you come up with just not to agree with someone who has a different opinion than you.

No, farrakhan isn't. at all. He's WIDELY considered within the black community to be a person who says extremely incendiary things to get his constituency riled up and little else.

As the leader(?) of the nation of islam, all he is, is the head of a VERY small but extremely vocal segment of the black community, and BECAUSE he says controversial things, white media (CNN, MSNBC etc) give him a lot more press than he deserves.

Calling him (or jackson, or sharpton) "leaders" of today's black community isn't just "pushing it", it's dead wrong.

Evlar

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
TBH, I don't even know when the last time that name even crossed my mind :lol

I thought he was dead :lol

But then again, I'm Asian, so I can't speak for my darker skinned brotha's

BTW, who is the most powerful and influential Asian American? I'm curious :lol I need to know who the fuck I'm supposed to be looking up to for political and moral guidance :lol
Jet Li.

Don't nag me with trifling details! It's Jet Li!

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Can I be the leader of Irish Americans? Please? I don't think we have one unless you're counting Conan O'Brien

smurfx

get some go again
AndyIsTheMoney said:
bullshit. every minority group, except in the case of native Americans, have influential and powerful representatives. I think if you were to poll a number of black Americans to name the most influential black leaders, Farrakhan would be named. It doesn't mean all black people have to agree with him or respect him, but you have to acknowledge he would be considered an influential and powerful black man. Seriously tell me this isn't true.
name one hispanic leader. come on name one.

GhaleonEB

I realize we've moved from Troopergate to Farrakkangate, but I found this amusing. Politico's "Arena" feature pulls together a bunch of opinions on the day's topic. Right now it's the trooper investigation's impact on the election. The first response is hilarious:

Bradley A. Smith said:
Obama wins with 361 electoral votes instead of 357?

http://www.politico.com/arena/

thefit

AndyIsTheMoney said:

No he's not influential, he's controversial which is why he even gets mentioned in the news. How many other people haven't said the Messiah thing but because this "BLACK leader" said it and because Obama is black he somehow must be connected to Farrakhan and his ilk?

ronito

What is GAF saying that Jackie Chan and Jet Li are NOT influential Asian leaders? GAF HATES CONSERVATIVES AND IS OBAMA BRAINWASHED!!!

WickedAngel said:
Jackie Chan was already named in this thread.
It's not Jackie Chan!

What do black people think about the claim that Farrakhan is a "black leader"?

2ppcu2b.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ethnic leaders:

Whites: Ron Jeremy, Bill Gates, The Fonz
Blacks: Samuel L. Jackson
Asians: Dat Phan, Miyamoto
Jews: Jon Stewart, Seinfeld
Native Americans: Squanto

I thought this list was non-debatable, but apparently there are still some questions out there.

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
grandjedi6 said:
You have to fight JKF in a fist fight first

Can I fight the guy who lived across the street from me growing up? He had JFK 461 or something as his license plate and his initials are JFK and also he's actually alive, but is like 60 and I think recently had a mild heart attack so I can probably take him

RubxQub said:
Ethnic leaders:

I thought this list was non-debatable, but apparently there are still some questions out there.

Who the fuck is Dat Phan (as an Asian, I admit, I have no idea)? Also Miyamoto is not American.

Minority American leaders.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RubxQub said:
Ethnic leaders:

Isn't Ron Jeremy a jew too?

RubxQub

CharlieDigital said:
Who the fuck is Dat Phan? Also Miyamoto is not American.

Minority American leaders.
Miyamoto transcends nationality.

...and you do not want to find out who Dat Phan is if you don't already :lol

Shiggie

grandjedi6 said:
Farrakhan is an influential and powerful black leader? A poll of african americans would cite Farrakhan as an influential and powerful leader? More than 5% of the public even knows who Farrakhan is?

Imaginary land confirmed
most of us black folk in the US are Christian (not me lol). Farrakhan is not even a blip on or radar. Cute theory tho.:D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ela Hadrun said:
Can I fight the guy who lived across the street from me growing up? He had JFK 461 or something as his license plate and his initials are JFK and also he's actually alive, but is like 60 and I think recently had a mild heart attack so I can probably take him
Only if you can get a tabloid to run a "JFK ALIVE!" story about him. (should be easy)

WickedAngel said:
As hard as it is to see (In the current political climate), these types of people are on the way out. They're Neanderthals to our Cro-Magnon; they're clinging desperately to a world that they simply don't understand and they're eventually going to fade from existence with a whimper and a silent sigh of relief from the benefactors.

Generation X, Y, and subsequent generations aren't going to tolerate this shit. We're not going to let ourselves be told that it is audacious to wonder why minorities can't be treated with respect without silent resentment and bigotry. We're not going to be trapped in the ideology that labels blind loyalty without consideration to responsibility as patriotism.

If we do any of the above, our country won't recover. We simply can't recover if we allow this type of thinking to manifest itself in our people. There is no logic or reason in thinking that you are a traitor if you question the perfectness of our country; if that kind of thinking should be characterized as anything, it should be characterized as Despotism. People have somehow come to accept that our government is some infallible entity that can't be questioned lest you hand in your citizenship status and leave. Our government is no different than the people that define it and the people of this country improve themselves by observing their mistakes and resolving themselves to avoid making them once again. We have been better, we can be better, and we will be better again.

The problem there is that they are raising their children to carry on that crap. So we will run into gen x, y and future gens of this. It's the voluntary (I don't want to put up with this shit so I move to L.A.) separatism that has allowed this to run free and continue to corrupt new generations with the hate of the past.

Now, on a lighter note:

From Freeperland:

"McCain deserves to lose and maybe that is what he wants to do to the GOP as payback for 2000."

"No more need to fear Obama than McCain. We’re screwed either way."

"This is a bad dream."

"She (Palin) should be at the top of the ticket."

I lol'd.

grandjedi6

RubxQub said:
Ethnic leaders:

American Americans: Colbert

fixed

look take what i said and run with it, its funny. but in our country, you cant say minority races don't have influential and powerful speakers. label it as racist, label it however you want. Louis Farrakhan is a significant black person politically and socially. no it doesn't mean all black people support him or agree. deny it if you want, be we all know theres truth in it. its not racist and not intended to be, but if you wanna take it that way knock yourself out.

electricpirate said:
well that was epic while it lasted.

Sometimes, I wonder why Andy isn't banned yet. But it's moments like that that I appreciate the lulz factor; may he never change :lol

AndyIsTheMoney said:
look take what i said and run with it, its funny. but in our country, you cant say minority races don't have influential and powerful speakers.

No, seriously, who is my powerful and influential Asian-American speaker? As an Asian-American, I need to know this.

Andy: I really need to know this. Who is the political and moral/character compass for us Asian-Americans?

GhaleonEB

AndyIsTheMoney said:
look take what i said and run with it, its funny. but in our country, you cant say minority races don't have influential and powerful speakers. label it as racist, label it however you want. Louis Farrakhan is a significant black person politically and socially. no it doesn't mean all black people support him or agree. deny it if you want, be we all know theres truth in it. its not racist and not intended to be, but if you wanna take it that way knock yourself out.
How do you know? What is your expertise here?

Tamanon

Banned
AndyIsTheMoney said:

You do realize that your original posts were preserved. You're not McCain, you don't just rewrite what you said later on to try and make others look bad.:lol

Cloudy

Banned
Palin hurting McCain in Florida?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/163348

The gift that keeps on giving? :D

Like many Jews in south Florida, Todd and Jamie Ehrenreich are registered Democrats who have faithfully cast ballots for their party's presidential nominees as long as they can remember. But this year, they'd decided to back Sen. John McCain, the Republican candidate. "We are over the $250,000 tax bracket, and we didn't want to lose our money," Jamie says. "We wanted to benefit from our own American dream."

Then McCain selected Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate—and "lost us in one fell swoop," says Jamie, who lives with her husband and two kids in Miami. She finds so much about Palin objectionable that she almost doesn't know where to begin. There's the abortion issue, for one. Palin "wouldn't want anyone to have an abortion even for rape or incest," says Jamie. "Who is she to judge by telling me how to live my life and overturning the things women have worked so hard for?" Equally disconcerting is Palin's seeming shallowness on some of the most pressing matters facing the country. "She doesn't know what she is talking about and makes it up as she goes along," says Jamie. "The fact that she had to be coached for two weeks [to prepare for the vice presidential debate] tells me she doesn't know anything. She just talks in circles."

The Ehrenreichs' reaction is hardly isolated. Many Florida Jews who had previously been open to McCain appear to share the couple's aversion to Palin, according to political scientists, polling data and anecdotal reporting. "She stands for all the wrong things in the eyes of the Jewish community," says Kenneth Wald, a professor at the University of Florida. Among the examples he cites: Palin seems to disdain intellectualism, she's a vociferous opponent of gun control and she attended a fundamentalist church that hosted Jews for Jesus, which seeks to convert Jews to Christianity. (Palin apparently sat through a speech by a leader of the group in which he said terrorist attacks on Israel were punishment for Israelis' failure to accept Jesus as the Messiah.) An American Jewish Committee poll taken in the weeks after Palin was picked found that 54 percent of respondents disapproved of her selection, compared to 37 percent who approved. And that was before the onslaught of withering criticism of her interviews with CBS's Katie Couric.

grandjedi6

AndyIsTheMoney said:
I'm still waiting for the other non-black ethnic leaders or how Farrakhan is even one of them

(And have I ever told you that you're so cute when you backpedal and throw up weak defenses?)

smurfx

get some go again
AndyIsTheMoney said:
we've asked you to name some other than the usual so called black leaders. we're still waiting for your answer.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Black Leader: Farrakhan
White Leader: Master Chief
Mexican Leader: Ray Mysterio
Asian Leader: Gackt?
Indian Leader: The national spelling bee
Native American Leader: Jack Daniels (I'm so sorry)

Okay, racist stereotypes aside, Farakhan as a leader of the African American segment of America is as asinine as any of the other ones I listed.

ronito

AndyIsTheMoney said:

AndyIsTheMoney said:
I think if you were to poll a number of black Americans to name the most influential black leaders, Farrakhan would be named.
uhhh......

grandjedi6 said:
You are so pathetic

Yes he is. No one's even talking about Obama, just pointing out how fucking stupid he is. Up there with Hannity calling out Sharpton's name for divisive and hateful people who's brought to his show.

RubxQub

AndyIsTheMoney said:
john_mccain_doesnt_know.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom