• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Branduil said:
So are people who are voting on the issue of the economy "dumbass single-issue" voters?

Just curious as to what the criteria is.

The economy is not a single issue. It contains employment, banking, foreign policy, energy, regulation, government reach.... and so on.

It's a massive catchall for almost everything the government should be involved in. As opposed to the other monolithic socio-emotional distractions, like jesus and vaginas that it should not be involved in.

I was flipping through the channels and I saw Obama talking at Pennsylvania.

Sweet potatoe pie? I mean come on, can we get some substance out of this guy, I mean really?

Branduil

OuterWorldVoice said:
The economy is not a single issue. It contains employment, banking, foreign policy, energy, regulation, government reach.... and so on.

It's a massive catchall for almost everything the government should be involved in. As opposed to the other monolithic socio-emotional distractions, like jesus and vaginas that it should not be involved in.
So if I can semantically separate abortion into multiple issues, is it no longer a single-issue?

MightyHedgehog said:
Yes, I know. It's an absurd thought, IMO, that other people can tell someone who gives life to and carries the responsibility for their developing offspring what to do and how to live in this matter. Keeping the silliness of religion out of it, there's an undeniable procedure of responsibility in the chain and it starts and ends with the woman citizen whose life it is that has a right to privacy. And that's really where this argument should stop at...it's a private matter. And I think that many current laws are perfectly reasonable in their interest to make certain that it is carried out in the most humane and safe manner (for both female citizen and her developing tissue).

Anyway, I'm done with the topic of abortion for the year.
My stance on abortion is that I'm a man, so I say leave it to the politicians. Though if asked I'd say pro-choice.

Branduil said:
So are people who are voting on the issue of the economy "dumbass single-issue" voters?
Abortions only affect a small minority whereas the economy affects everyone.

Gattsu25

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

Thanks. I was about to post the same thing as your opening comment.

Stridone

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
That's the same argument that says because one guy uses GTA as a reason to shoot people in real-life, we should ban it for the millions and millions that play the same game and don't.

That guy would've gone insane one day anyway, better to not provide him an effective weapon so easily.

Fatalah

photo.jpg

I saw this on the subway last night. (NYC) Good stuff!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Branduil said:
So if I can semantically separate abortion into multiple issues, is it no longer a single-issue?
Read my answer before (that you responded to). It answered your question that was posed by you with loads of willingful ignorance.

harSon

Banned
Jesus Christ. Do Mormons hate Gay marriage this much? :lol My neighbors, whom are Mormon, moved away to Utah so they could be closer to their family (One of their sons tragically committed suicide while mountain hiking) close to a year ago. Anyways, she just knocked on the door informing us on Proposition 8 and why we should vote yes. She came half way across the United States to help ban Gay marriage in a state she no longer lives in. What the fuck...

Xeke

Banned
Voting on one minority issue is stupid. If everything were the same except McCain said he'd legalize weed that wouldn't change my vote to him.:lol

harSon said:
Jesus Christ. Do Mormons hate Gay marriage this much? :lol My neighbors, whom are Mormon, moved away to Utah so they could be closer to their family (One of their sons tragically committed suicide while mountain hiking) close to a year ago. Anyways, she just knocked on the door informing us on Proposition 8 and why we should vote yes. She came half way across the United States to help ban Gay marriage in a state she no longer lives in. What the fuck...

Everytime a gay person marries jesus weeps...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Sharp said:
If you read the source they had McCain up by like 15 points in mid-September so this is actually extremely good news for Obama.
That's just Ohio pre-empting the inevitable poll flip flop prior to the election.

Stridone said:
That guy would've gone insane one day anyway, better to not provide him an effective weapon so easily.

Good grief man.

So we agree that he would have gone crazy anyway, right?

What if that insane guy didn't have access to guns but he used something else in the game, like a baseball bat?

Should we ban those too?

Your argument isn't making sense.

RubxQub

Branduil said:
It really didn't.
Ok then, tell me your own weighting of the issues.

Are the Economy and Abortion of equal importance to America at large? If you say yes, then you're wrong.

Branduil

RubxQub said:
Ok then, tell me your own weighting of the issues.

Are the Economy and Abortion of equal importance to America at large? If you say yes, then you're wrong.
The needs of the many do not outweigh the rights of the few.

Stridone

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Good grief man.

So we agree that he would have gone crazy anyway, right?

What if that insane guy didn't have access to guns but he used something else in the game, like a baseball bat?

Should we ban those too?

Your argument isn't making sense.

How many people do you think he can kill with a baseball bat? Hmm. What about a gun? It was invented to kill with, so there's the difference.

harSon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Everytime a gay person marries jesus weeps...

She's a genuinely kind person but Jesus Christ, flying half way across the country to ban Gay marriage in a state you no longer live in :lol

harSon said:

Yes. They do.

RubxQub

Branduil said:
The needs of the many do not outweigh the rights of the few.
Glad to see you admit you're wrong.

So lets say we do nothing to fix one issue or the other.

We don't try and fix the economy:

Millions of people lose jobs. People's retirement funds are wiped. Wages are lowered. Poverty across America.

We don't try and alter any abortion laws
Nothing changes.

harSon said:
She's a genuinely kind person but Jesus Christ, flying half way across the country to ban Gay marriage in a state you no longer live in :lol

They often are which only makes it somehow more disappointing and vile that they want to regulate other people's lives and deny them rights.

Chichikov

Don't get dragged into an abortion discussion, Don't get dragged into an abortion discussion...
Ahhhhhhh, too late.

I have no inherent problem with voting based on a single important moral issue, for example, I find the death penalty to be unacceptable in a modern civilized society. Had McCain promised to abolish it, I would have a serious dilemma on my hands.
The problem with voting based on abortion is that regardless of who's going to win, nothing is going to fucking change.
I'll repeat it again, in bold font, regardless of who's going to be in the whitehouse, there will not be major change in abortion rights in the US.

And GOP people wonder why they are called theocratic?

Unhelpful for establishing the tone McCain sought in Davenport was the Rev. Arnold Conrad, past pastor of the Grace Evangelical Free Church. His prayer before McCain arrived at the convention center blocks from the Mississippi River appeared to dismiss faiths other than Christianity and cast the election as a referendum on God himself.

"I would also pray, Lord, that your reputation is involved in all that happens between now and November, because there are millions of people around this world praying to their god — whether it's Hindu, Buddha, Allah — that his opponent wins, for a variety of reasons," Conrad said.

"And Lord, I pray that you would guard your own reputation, because they're going to think that their god is bigger than you, if that happens. So I pray that you will step forward and honor your own name with all that happens between now and Election Day," he said.

Opiate

Branduil said:

Just curious as to what the criteria is.

I don't think this is a fair comparison, as I'd argue that "the economy" isn't a single issue. This is like saying "christian values" is a single issue, when that encompasses a wide range of issues including abortion, the death penalty, gay marriage, and several other major topics. Abortion does strike me as a single nearly indivisible issue, while the economy is a much more complex working of smaller issues.

Voting for a certain candidate's economic policies requires consideration of taxation (some are staunchly against increased taxation of any kind, for example), health care and associated costs, education policy, campaign finance reform, energy policies, and so many other issues that it isn't appropriate to simply wrap every single one of these rather complex issues in to a single category, label it "the economy," and call it a single issue.

RubxQub

EVERYONE WHO THINKS ABORTION IS EQUAL TO THE ECONOMY IS WRONG!

Stridone said:
How many people do you think he can kill with a baseball bat? Hmm. What about a gun? It was invented to kill with, so there's the difference.

So, now it's about how many people said crazy would be able to kill with a gun vs. bat?

All while dancing around the initial question I posed?

Ok, I'm done.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
speculawyer said:
And GOP people wonder why they are called theocratic?
After watching Religulous last night, America's branding of Christianity as "all-american" has become more apparent than ever.:lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Branduil said:
If you say so.

Don't re-brand facts as opinions. A opinion is something like this,

"I think abortion is a viable solution to problems of overpopulation and individual hardship, and my moral sensibilities are compatible with it, as it is normally understood. Since I know for a fact that a zygote is insentient, I feel pretty OK with terminating it, and am largely OK with terminating that early pregnancy almost casually. However, if a fetus has reached a stage of viability, I would prefer the mother carry it to term, even if she gives it up for adoption, although I concede that's a somewhat arbitrary measure. I also believe that people apply far too much worth to "humanity" since my experience of humans includes Hitler, rapists and pederasts, as well as nice babies."

A fact is:

"The economy is a wildly complex matrix of discrete, separate issues, laws, philosophies and problems, many of which fall under government responsibility."

another one is:

"The pro-life movement is based almost entirely on social and individual moral philosophy."

Branduil

RubxQub said:
You know I didn't.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Don't re-brand facts as opinions. A opinion is something like this,

"I think abortion is a viable solution to problems of overpopulation and individual hardship, and my moral sensibilities are compatible with it, as it is normally understood. Since I know for a fact that a zygote is insentient, I feel pretty OK with terminating it, and am largely OK with terminating that early pregnancy almost casually. However, if a fetus has reached a stage of viability, I would prefer the mother carry it to term, even if she gives it up for adoption, although I concede that's a somewhat arbitrary measure. I also believe that people apply far too much worth to "humanity" since my experience of humans includes Hitler, rapists and pederasts, as well as nice babies."

A fact is:

"The economy is a wildly complex matrix of discrete, separate issues, laws, philosophies and problems, many of which fall under government responsibility."

another one is:

"The pro-life movement is based almost entirely on social and individual moral philosophy."
Yes, you're right. But my point was that being able to divide an issue into multiple ones doesn't necessarily make it more important. Everybody votes based on priorities of issues.

RubxQub said:

So lets say we do nothing to fix one issue or the other.

We don't try and fix the economy:

Millions of people lose jobs. People's retirement funds are wiped. Wages are lowered. Poverty across America.

We don't try and alter any abortion laws
Nothing changes.

Dax01 said:

TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Cyan said:
Please, go for it.

No don't, seriously don't - Any future abortion-related derailments of PoliGAF's election threads are going to be met with bans so dictatorial that even the anarchists will start crying for a mommy-state.

HEED THIS WARNING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom