• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Anyone else watching Meet the Press? Brokaw is garbage compared to Russert, its like he disregards whatever the guest says and just responds to everything with a flippant remark.

lawblob said:
Anyone else watching Meet the Press? Brokaw is garbage compared to Russert, its like he disregards whatever the guest says and just responds to everything with a flippant remark.

Would you say that he ignores his guest? My, what a wonder world we live in.

Ventron said:
2j2t0cn.gif
Biden's eyes makes this perfect. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cheebs said:
My predictions aren't as bad as GAF would like to think. I predicted Bush would win in 2004, predicted Obama would win Iowa, Hillary NH, Hillary Nevada, Obama SC, predicted all the feb sweep states right other than Maine. Predicted Hillary would win Texas & Ohio....etc

But this election is over. I am not nervous in the slightest anymore.
It's more of. Running joke than a fact. I mean you were the original chicken little.

Don't take it personally :p

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
FightyF said:
That sounds like a good plan.

What's scary is that the one Time Magazine contributor said that at one of these rallies she found that nearly every single person thought that way...so that's a lot of dumbasses to educate.

Yeah, they're all in one place. We should continue to hold "Palin" rallies after the elections, and then instead show a movie. I dunno, maybe Disney's The Color of Friendship.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Amir0x said:
Another week gone. Tick, tock. :D

It's taking way too long, feels like years, hairs graying (OK maybe not) :lol

Got my letter acknowledging that I'm registered to vote. :D I'm in NY so it's not like it's a highly contested race here but I'm just happy to be a part of it :D

numble

Fox News Sunday:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/Axelrod_vs_Davis.html?showall
Axelrod: "Do you sell access to Senator McCain?"

Davis: "No, I don't."

Axelrod: "Is that how you've made millions of dollars?"

Davis: "Not at all."

Axelrod: "You've never done that? You've never — nobody's ever been told they oughta hire you if they want to get to Senator McCain? I'm asking you a question."

Davis: "Character assassination has become the hallmark of the Obama campaign."

Something has been bugging me about McCain repudiating the old woman saying Obama is an arab. If I recall, McCain never countered her comment and said "No, he's an american". Isn't that kind of odd?

One more thing. I saw the youtube video where Aigner was interviewing the old woman. She never once said that the McCain/Reupublican campaign office are sending out letters that Obama is an arab. She said she did her own research at a library and went to Kinkos to print out hundreds of copies. The only relatable link between Obama being an arab and the McCain/Republican campaign office mentioned in the video was that the volunteers feel the same way as the old woman.

Like I say I always take the Daily Kos poll with a grain of salt but look at Palin's numbers. That is just brutal.

Code:
Favorable/Unfavorable
CANDIDATE  FAV   UNFAV     NO OPINION
MCCAIN	    42	    52	    6
OBAMA	    59	    31	    10
BIDEN	    58	    29	    13
PALIN	    36	    58	    6

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Stoney Mason said:
Like I say I always take the Daily Kos poll with a grain of salt but look at Palin's numbers. That is just brutal.

Code:
Favorable/Unfavorable

is that a single day poll?

teiresias

If we're lucky, this election cycle has seered this version of Palin into people's minds hard enough that she has no chance to come back and do anything of particular note in national politics.

Tobor

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Something has been bugging me about McCain repudiating the old woman saying Obama is an arab. If I recall, McCain never countered her comment and said "No, he's an american". Isn't that kind of odd?

One more thing. I saw the youtube video where Aigner was interviewing the old woman. She never once said that the McCain/Reupublican campaign office are sending out letters that Obama is an arab. She said she did her own research at a library and went to Kinkos to print out hundreds of copies. The only relatable link between Obama being an arab and the McCain/Republican campaign office mentioned in the video was that the volunteers feel the same way as the old woman.

He said Obama was a "citizen", but I guess he could have meant a citizen of Arabia.

I really thought McCain was going to do the right thing here. I guess we'll have to wait for the next debate to be sure. If he refuses to attack Obama again, his base will go crazy.

Jason's Ultimatum said:

There has always been an undercurrent that the "other" in many forms is unacceptable for Americans which sadly I agree is the state for the mass of people. The questions always revolve around is Obama lying about his heritage or religion when the true moral question should be is it anybody's business?

We know how McCain stands on this issue for instance.

John McCain said:
"I admire the Islam. There's a lot of good principles in it," he said. "But I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith."

In a wide-ranging interview about religion and faith with the Web site Beliefnet, McCain said he wouldn't "rule out under any circumstance" someone who wasn't Christian, but said, "I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead."

teiresias said:
If we're lucky, this election cycle has seered this version of Palin into people's minds hard enough that she has no chance to come back and do anything of particular note in national politics.
I wasn't expecting her to do anything worth noting in politics after this; she's just too dumb and if she tries to do anything she'll only end up embarrassing herself.

Tobor

teiresias said:

The Sarah Palin show: 1 hour of solid debate on politics and family values

Airing nightly on Fox News!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stoney Mason said:

Code:
Favorable/Unfavorable

No reason to take it with a grain of salt, its not the "Daily Kos" poll, its the R2K poll that DailyKos is paying for. R2K is a decent pollster and they give their internals out so you know how they arrived at those numbers.

It is the most pro-Obama because it has a higher number of Dems than Reps voting in the election compared to other pollsters. R2K has explained that they feel their party ID numbers are correct for this cycle.

GhaleonEB

StoOgE said:
No reason to take it with a grain of salt, its not the "Daily Kos" poll, its the R2K poll that DailyKos is paying for. R2K is a decent pollster and they give their internals out so you know how they arrived at those numbers.

It is the most pro-Obama because it has a higher number of Dems than Reps voting in the election compared to other pollsters. R2K has explained that they feel their party ID numbers are correct for this cycle.
Yup. Kos is +9, while Rasmussen and Gallup are about +6. Adjust for that and Kos is in line with everyone else.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Kos is +9, while Rasmussen and Gallup are about +6. Adjust for that and Kos is in line with everyone else.

Actually Kos is +13 at the moment. Take it with a grain of salt is probably a bit more dismissive than what I was going for but I also don't believe Obama is really at +13 or that Palin's numbers are quite as bad as even what I posted but as a data point among many it is still nice to see.

GhaleonEB

Stoney Mason said:
Actually Kos is +13 at the moment. Take it with a grain of salt is probably a bit more dismissive than what I was going for but I also don't believe Obama is really at +13 or that Palin's numbers are quite as bad as even what I posted but as a data point among many it is still nice to see.
I was referring to party ID. Kos has Dems with a +9 advantage, while Gallup and Ras are about +6, which explains why the Kos/R2K poll is usually a few points higher than the others.

GhaleonEB said:
I was referring to party ID. Kos has Dems with a +9 advantage, while Gallup and Ras are about +6, which explains why the Kos/R2K poll is usually a few points higher than the others.

Ah I see. You are correct of course.

I've said for a while now I view all these polls as possible obviously based on a continuum of turnout. If Democrats really really turn out then it will be like the Kos numbers but I prefer a more cynical take on the whole experience. My biased take is generally closer to the Rasmussen weightings which I know some of gaf disagrees with.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with the Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley when interviewed about the team. I figured some of you might be interested.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/12/heisley-talks-griz-winning-being-in-memphis/

GC: Last question: Give me 30 seconds on the economy. What's the answer? What should the readers do?

MH: Are you serious?

GC: Yes. Was the bailout bill a good bill?

MH: I wouldn't have voted for it because I didn't think it would work. I don't think it's going to work now. I think the market is going to have to work its way out. And then everybody and their brother is going to show up at the trough. And that's what's happening. I was shocked at (John) McCain's offer to buy up more. I mean, where is this money coming from? Let me make a point to you that hasn't come up. Let me just ask the question. If you look, you'll find that the market, before some of these latest drops, had lost $17 trillion this year. Seventeen trillion! And (Barack) Obama's program is we're going to tax the upper five-percent. Who do you think owns most of that $17 trillion?

GC: The upper five-percent.

MH: Right. Now, when I lost $17 trillion, tell me what in the tax code prevents me from taking my losses to cover my gains? They're going to be writing off, collectively, $17 trillion. You know what's going to happen? They not only are going to write off this year and pay no taxes, they're going to go in and income-average back and they're going to collect, get money back, on taxes they paid last year and the year before that. They're going to be tax collectors and not tax payers. And I don't understand why they don't see that. Like, for example, remember the guy that got so much money that they're castigating that ran the . . .

GC: Lehman Brothers.

MH: Let's be very blunt about it. The Feds blew Lehman Brothers. They shouldn't have ever let it go bankrupt. Why? Because Lehman Brothers, not only is it putting things here in trouble, it's putting things overseas in trouble. But the problem is, they look at this guy and they beat him up and they say, "This guy has made $100 million." What they didn't say, which they should have said, is that he's put virtually all of his money into Lehman Brothers stock. He never sold one share all this time when he supposedly knew all this (stuff). He didn't sell one share. He went from being a billionaire to maybe being a millionaire. How many taxes do you think he's going to pay? He lost a billion dollars. How much taxes is he going to pay on that $100 million? Nothing. Where is Obama going to get the tax dollars to pay for this? That's what bothers me. The American people are not sophisticated, they sit there and listen to this (nonsense) and they make choices and then these guys, they get in there, and then they basically have to give the people what they have to get. Which is going to be tough medicine.

GC: And no matter who gets elected, it's going to be tough medicine?

MH: It's going to be tough medicine. And the question is, do you want -- and maybe you do -- both the Congress and the Presidency to be the same party and the liberal wing of that party? If you ask me who I would have voted for in the primaries it would have been Hillary Clinton and I'm a Republican. Because I think she was possibly the most competent. But she had somebody in reserve, Bill Clinton, who I didn't love but I'll tell you one thing, he had eight years and he was smart and he basically knew what he was doing, OK? That, to me, would have been the smart move. Instead, we're getting a guy who, quite frankly, would never have been the Senator from Illinois if it hadn't been for two sex scandals. I live in Illinois, I know that. But my point is, I don't dislike Obama. I just think Obama is totally, totally inexperienced. Somebody said one day, "You ought to be sitting down and saying, 'Who would you hire to run your company?'"

GC: And you wouldn't hire either of these guys to run your company.

MH: You said it! That's what I answered. I'm not saying the president ought to be a businessman. But I'm saying Dwight Eisenhower could run my company. He knew how to run men. He knew how to basically organize and lead and what have you. What has Obama ever led? What has McCain ever led? Nothing.

NEW YORK, Oct 12, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- 2008 Republican Presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) will visit the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN, Thursday, Oct. 16 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
This will mark Sen. McCain's first return to LATE SHOW since canceling his appearance on Sept. 24. His 13th visit to the program, it will also mark Sen. McCain's first LATE SHOW appearance since formally accepting his party's nomination at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn. on Thursday, Sept. 4. He announced his candidacy for President on the LATE SHOW on Feb. 28, 2007.
In the 2008 race for the White House, the LATE SHOW also hosted Democratic Presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama, who visited the broadcast on Wednesday, Sept. 10.
Also on the LATE SHOW Thursday, Oct. 16 will be musical guest Ne-Yo.
The LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN is a production of Worldwide Pants Incorporated. Barbara Gaines, Maria Pope, Jude Brennan and Rob Burnett are the executive producers.

McCain on Letterman this Thursday.

gcubed

Dax01 said:
Lewis, what are you doing?

Just read it.

old

and in response to any of the experience bullshit. No one knows how any person is going to govern or how good or bad they are going to do until they do it, so i find it a little ridiculous that everyone can sit there and say "oh he cant do anything, he isnt experienced enough" when 1) its mostly his advisers and staff, and 2) you are an idiot and have no idea how he will do.

What does 30 years in the senate buy you on the experience front for running the country? Abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Governor or Alaska? Nothing Community Organizer, State Senator, etc? NOTHING You want to see how someone will do? Look who they surround themselves with. Look at their actions. Look at who they go to for advice, because like the Grizz GM stated about "people arent sophisticated" i'd say he is even more so, or just plainly ignorant, if he thinks the POTUS is the all seeing, unweilding power in office.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dax01 said:
Lewis, what are you doing?

Just read it.

If it is more than 20 minutes old its probably been posted here. if its a day old and from one of PoliGAFs favorite websites, its already been posted about 30 times.

Tobor

Matthew Gallant said:
Guaranteed entertainment.

Doubtful. I would be surprised if Dave didn't fold all his drama up the second McCain came back and fawn all over him.

I'd love to see Dave call McCain out to his face on the campaign suspension, but it's not going to happen.

bgassassin said:
Here is an excerpt from an interview with the Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley when interviewed about the team. I figured some of you might be interested.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/oct/12/heisley-talks-griz-winning-being-in-memphis/

This is exactly the kind of paranoid crap rich people were spewing before Clinton took over.

StoOgE said:
If it is more than 20 minutes old its probably been posted here. if its a day old and from one of PoliGAFs favorite websites, its already been posted about 30 times.
I knew it most likely old, but I just read myself and wanted to post my feelings about it.

greepoman

gcubed said:
old

and in response to any of the experience bullshit. No one knows how any person is going to govern or how good or bad they are going to do until they do it, so i find it a little ridiculous that everyone can sit there and say "oh he cant do anything, he isnt experienced enough" when 1) its mostly his advisers and staff, and 2) you are an idiot and have no idea how he will do.

What does 30 years in the senate buy you on the experience front for running the country? Abso-fucking-lutely nothing. Governor or Alaska? Nothing Community Organizer, State Senator, etc? NOTHING You want to see how someone will do? Look who they surround themselves with. Look at their actions. Look at who they go to for advice, because like the Grizz GM stated about "people arent sophisticated" i'd say he is even more so, or just plainly ignorant, if he thinks the POTUS is the all seeing, unweilding power in office.

Great points.

What pisses me off if how little attention the Palin thing is getting. Here is precisely a direct example of poor judgement, letting her feelings overflow into her decisions and it's all there documented in emails, phone calls, conversations where she was repeated warned about her actions yet still continued to do them. Letting her husband sit in on government meetings? Letting her husband use her office to pursue his agenda against wooten??? This is straight up bad judgement and happened quite recently.

1-D_FTW

bgassassin said:

Let's hope the next President does a better job at running the country than he's done running the Grizzlies.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/09/18/secrets-self-made-ent-manage-cx_ll_richlist07_0920secretsqa_18.html

3. Which entrepreneur do you most admire?

Mike Milken. He enhanced the world.

No wonder he's such a crappy owner. Michael Milken? Really?

The Chosen One said:
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he means it's better for Obama supporters to just ignore the whole race issue and avoid any confrontations on the subject. Anytime race becomes the subject, Obama's poll numbers go down.

heh, this is why I laugh whenever says Obama is "post-racial" or has "transcended race"

1-D_FTW said:
Let's hope the next President does a better job at running the country than he's done running the Grizzlies.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/09/18/secrets-self-made-ent-manage-cx_ll_richlist07_0920secretsqa_18.html

3. Which entrepreneur do you most admire?

Mike Milken. He enhanced the world.

No wonder he's such a crappy owner. Michael Milken? Really?

1. What did you dream of becoming when you were a kid?

A successful parent and husband.

Fuck You Liar. :lol

Stoney Mason said:
Code:
Favorable/Unfavorable
[B]PALIN	    36	    58	    6[/b]
Palin is a total anchor on the ticket. People have realized that she is a female George Bush . . . an ignorant religious fundamentalist that merely has some charisma.

Edit: damn . . . bolding doesn't work encapsulated in code.

With so much at stake, and time running short, [Virginia Republican Party Chairman Jeff] Frederick did not feel he had the luxury of subtlety. He climbed atop a folding chair to give 30 campaign volunteers who were about to go canvassing door to door their talking points — for instance, the connection between Barack Obama and Osama bin Laden: "Both have friends that bombed the Pentagon," he said. "That is scary."

link

No comment...

John McCain said:
"But I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith."

Weren't the majority of the Founding Fathers Deists? Although influenced by Christianity, I thought the Constitution was founded on the principles of civic duty and personal virtue, with a clear separation of Church and State?

Where does this recent upsurge in obsession of nationalism and religion - in the USA - come from? Oh, that's right, the Cold War. McCain, in part at the very least, has been shaped by the environment he grew out of. From what I can see, his time was a black-and-white world where perceptions of American identity, and therefore origins, were doctored in order to paint a thoroughly more mainstream image that ignores certain facts, such as the above.

RapeApe said:
Might have been posted before. But here is the child molester waiting outside with his Obama monkey doll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKUovpF9LWU

this is poligaf, and those things i bolded didnt stick out at you and say "man, gaf would love this so much" to the point its been posted about 30 times?

come on! an obama monkey doll! yes, of course gaf has been ALL OVER THIS. it was a child molester type guy with an obama monkey doll. if gaf hadnt posted it already i'd be ashamed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nazgul_Hunter said:
link

No comment...

They are connecting Obama to Bin Laden now? :lol

And Cambell Brown's fake outrage at both candidates for not talking about real issues seem even more funny.

teiresias said:

Oh, it has.

And what's great is the fundie wingnut base doesn't realize it. They think Sarah is a surefire win for a future presidential election. Party division ahead! :lol

Sharp

Reading through the old election thread, what astounds me the most is how many people actually thought that Bush's election was a good idea. At least now America realizes it fucked up, but at the time I thought that anyone with eyes could see Bush was destroying the country from every possible angle. Guess I was wrong.

Tim the Wiz said:
Weren't the majority of the Founding Fathers Deists? Although influenced by Christianity, I thought the Constitution was founded on the principles of civic duty and personal virtue, with a clear separation of Church and State?
You are correct. This is another example of McCain selling out to the far-christian-right of his party and propagating the myth of America being founded as a 'Christian Nation'.

Even the editor-in-chief of beliefnet.com (one of the biggest religious sites on the web) disagrees with this and wrote a book about it.
http://www.beliefnet.com/foundingfaith/

Tim the Wiz said:

Where does this recent upsurge in obsession of nationalism and religion - in the USA - come from? Oh, that's right, the Cold War. McCain, in part at the very least, has been shaped by the environment he grew out of. From what I can see, his time was a black-and-white world where perceptions of American identity, and therefore origins, were doctored in order to paint a thoroughly more mainstream image that ignores certain facts, such as the above.

Actually, I think a majority were Christian. But there certainly were Deists, and among the Christians there were many (most?) who wanted the government founded on reason, not religion. I do remember reading that there were theocrats among the founding fathers, but I can't remember who/which. I recall reading that there was some fighting over the issue early on.

1-D_FTW said:

You and me both.

There was something that caught my eye in that link you posted.

19. What's the next billion-dollar idea waiting to be exploited?

Online-gaming industry. It is just beginning.

Gaming Age would be pleased. Or maybe condescending. :D

:lol :lol
More conservative blog fun, this time Michelle Malkin:

After taking the entire day off after Troopergate, her latest post is about how unfair the libural media is in targetting McCain rally madness:

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/12/crush-the-obamedia-narrative-look-whos-gripped-by-insane-rage/

Basically the post is mostly about comedians calling Palin mean things and Internet posts. Malkin might be going even crazier than Drudge and Fox right now. At the very least they acknowledged something happened. She couldn't even bring herself to do that much.

Edit: Come on now, that's a ridiculous stance you're taking in the headline mods. I know it can dominate conversation as it's a hot button issue but it's a factor in all elections and you know it. Hell, it's Palin's central attack against Obama at the time being, how are we supposed to deal with that if all discussion of it is banned in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom