• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
Can someone please give me a link to McCain's economic speech today on youtube.

He didn't give one, he gave a fightin' speech about the evils of those liberal democrats and fightin' to fix everything! Obama gave an economic speech, I assume McCain will try one later this week.

Soybean

HylianTom said:
Hmm.. looks like New Jersey didn't feel like reprising its role as Democratic cocktease this year. Solid.
Quite frankly I'm ashamed that so many of my fellow Jerseyans are going McCain. We should look more like New York.

zesty said:
If half the posts in here started off with "HOLY SHIT @ WII!!" I'm not sure I'd notice the difference.

isn't NPD day this thursday? wii expected to roll or 360 pricecut ftw?

mckmas8808 said:
Did they say what states?

this. swing state as in florida/ohio/michigan/pennsylvania? or swing state as in florida/ohio/virginia/colorado/north carolina/nevada/missouri?

Tamanon said:
He didn't give one, he gave a fightin' speech about the evils of those liberal democrats and fightin' to fix everything! Obama gave an economic speech, I assume McCain will try one later this week.

I suspect he will speak as close to the debate as possible to give Obama as little time to prepare responses as possible.

numble

kkaabboomm said:
isn't NPD day this thursday? wii expected to roll or 360 pricecut ftw?

this. swing state as in florida/ohio/michigan/pennsylvania? or swing state as in florida/ohio/virginia/colorado/north carolina/nevada/missouri?
9 posts up:
Tonight, at 6:00 p.m. Eastern, the latest polling data from Florida, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia will be released. All five states were carried by Republicans four years ago but have become battleground states this year.

ChrisGoldstein said:
I live in Georgia and I'm afraid to wear one lol, especially on election day

I'd heard rumors and I've had this verified by a poll worker:

Do not go to vote wearing gear for a candidate. They WILL make you remove it or go home to change.

Obviously you can walk around all day rocking the gear, but the moment you are inside that 100 foot radius of a polling booth, you cannot, or you will be considered to be canvassing for a candidate.

This information has been making the email rounds this year in particular because of how Obama gear is practically a fashion statement.

Tobor

I never thought I'd see the day when a GOP ticket had to campaign hard in VA and NC 3 weeks from the election. :lol

This thing really is over, folks.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Soybean said:
Quite frankly I'm ashamed that so many of my fellow Jerseyans are going McCain. We should look more like New York.

Tell me about it. Sick of seeing all those McCain/Palin yard signs where I'm at in Bloomfield.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
obama%20bin%20lyin.jpg

From a Palin rally in VA today.

joeposh

Mrs. Manky said:
I'd heard rumors and I've had this verified by a poll worker:

Do not go to vote wearing gear for a candidate. They WILL make you remove it or go home to change.

Obviously you can walk around all day rocking the gear, but the moment you are inside that 100 foot radius of a polling booth, you cannot, or you will be considered to be canvassing for a candidate.

This information has been making the email rounds this year in particular because of how Obama gear is practically a fashion statement.

Not true, while you can't display the a candidates name inside the polling place in some states, you don't have to go home to change. You might be asked to cover it with a jacket or something, take off your button/hat.

Xeke

Banned
I heard that the McCain campaign was going to reduce the price on their McCain Hoodie from $32 to $25 but they are introducing a superior model at $39. That is sure to lead to consumer confusion and hardly constitutes a price drop. I did manage to find a leak of the "elite" hoodie.

Original:

279674885v12_240x240_Front_Color-As.jpg

"Elite":

plus.jpg

I don't see this tactic improving hoodie sales.

joeposh said:
Not true, while you can't display the a candidates name inside the polling place in some states, you don't have to go home to change. You might be asked to cover it with a jacket or something, take off your button/hat.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the correction.

But the bottom line is that the candidate's name needs to be covered or not shown.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Man why doesn't Chuck just invoke the spirit of Tim Russert and say "We now know who the next President of the United States is going to be."

My balls would explode.

devilhawk

Mrs. Manky said:
Okay, cool. Thanks for the correction.

But the bottom line is that the candidate's name needs to be covered or not shown.
I know several poll volunteers and in most places they just ask you to turn your shirt inside out or slip your button into your pocket. Don't be an idiot and respect the law and you will get your vote in. If you see someone not following, just talk to them and make them realize it isn't an OMG Anti-Obama rule.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
scorcho said:
Just as I read this I noticed that Drudge updated his links to omit yesterday's Gallup article showing McCain's mini-comeback. Guess today's three-point swing in Obama's favor doesn't fit the narrative and as such it is gone.

Members of the media can paint this as a close horse race, which it very well could be in terms of national polling. That point aside, I'm still very confident that Obama will win this - the litany of state polling and Obama's mythical registration/GOTV organization is just too strong.
I love you :lol

Gains gone. We need a new narrative. Can we still go with the positive campaigning?

Does that Gallup chart seem off? The first chart shows Democrat enthusiasm down with Republican enthusiasm up, while the line graph shows the opposite. I think the dates are mixed up.

Xeke

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Does that Gallup chart seem off? The first chart shows Democrat enthusiasm down with Republican enthusiasm up, while the line graph shows the opposite. I think the dates are mixed up.

...It show the Democrat support down in 2004.

omgimaninja said:

there is a reason why the first chart is BOLDED 2008 and the second is BOLDED 2004

GhaleonEB

CharlieDigital said:
Aren't we supposed to get some new poll numbers?
In 45 minutes from Rasmussen. See above.

RE: Gallups.

The enthusiasm gap is pretty big deal, IMO. It can translate directly to turnout. Big difference between someone people are excited about as opposed to grudgingly accepting as their nominee.

Tobor

Judderman said:
Man why doesn't Chuck just invoke the spirit of Tim Russert and say "We now know who the next President of the United States going to be."

My balls would explode.

I said the exact same thing earlier today. Russert would have told us the truth.

Ponn

Banned
Tamanon said:

I'm starting to believe he doesn't really have an "economic plan". Just random pieces, senile thoughts held together by a true belief in his own rhetoric that he can just "do it". He knows how to fix everything and is the only one that can do it. He doesn't have the plan now, but it will appear to him by fundie miracle after Nov. 4th if he is voted president. Hand delivered to him by the magical Hate Fairy who says on to him "You have done well my child, now sleep and leave the rest to Palin"

HylianTom

Banned
I called this a while ago:

TINA FEY - FEY BLAMED FOR 'RUINING' PALIN'S REPUTATION

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/fey blamed for ruining palins reputation_1083354

Comedienne TINA FEY has been blamed for the Republican party's recent slip in the polls ahead of the U.S. presidential election, after impersonating vice-presidential candidate SARAH PALIN on comedy sketch series SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

According to a recent poll taken by the Washington Times, the "Tina Fey effect" has turned supporters off the Alaskan governor and her running-mate, presidential candidate John MCCain.

Political scientist Jerald Podair tells the New York Post: "Presidential impersonators do influence elections, and in this one, Tina Fey is well on her way to ruining Sarah Palin's political career. In a political culture that takes its cues from popular culture, a good impersonator may be worth a million votes.

"The parodies may have done a bit of damage. People remember Gerald Ford through the prism of Chevy Chase. Ford was among our most athletic presidents, and he had a wide-ranging knowledge of public-policy issues. But because of SNL, many came to think of him as a buffoon."

The Tina Fey Effect? Love it!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
HylianTom said:
I called this a while ago:

TINA FEY - FEY BLAMED FOR 'RUINING' PALIN'S REPUTATION

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/fey blamed for ruining palins reputation_1083354

The Tina Fey Effect? Love it!

I think SNL has had a bigger impact on determining the "impression" people have of a candidate since at least Dukkakis (the earliest I can remember). More important thatn anything, because they really do boil candidates down to a caricature of themselves.. humor is funniest when its grounded in truth. Making Mccain even meaner than he is in the debates and Palin even dummer resonates. Biden and Obama are getting near free passes.

mckmas8808 said:
What did they say?

Sorry, my brother called and I didn't see your post.

Basically they layed out all the different conflicting statements coming out of the McCain camp the last couple days in the most condescending manner possible and called him out for his non-economic enonomics speech. It was comparable to what Letterman has been doing to McCain and really surprised me in it's tone since it was the opening story and not an opinion piece.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tamanon said:
That makes a lot of sense. Although why isn't Fred Armisen completely ruining Obama's reputation?

Because he isnt funny and its not a very good impersonation, so it doesnt resonate. Also, a lot of their Obama jokes arent accurate. For instance in one of the debate skits they had Obama painted as a "dirty chicago politician giving kickbacks to other politicians" which doesnt jive with either Obamas record or the McCain camp talking points.

StoOgE said:
I think SNL has had a bigger impact on determining the "impression" people have of a candidate since at least Dukkakis (the earliest I can remember). More important thatn anything, because they really do boil candidates down to a caricature of themselves.. humor is funniest when its grounded in truth. Making Mccain even meaner than he is in the debates and Palin even dummer resonates. Biden and Obama are getting near free passes.

Obama owes Armisen a beer for his toothless impression of him.

Tamanon

Banned
StoOgE said:

I dunno, the Obama impression boils it down to him being a shady charactere with weird pronunciation of things. The Biden one, the only time we've seen it, is just him saying how much he loves McCain.:lol

HylianTom

Banned
Tamanon said:
That makes a lot of sense. Although why isn't Fred Armisen completely ruining Obama's reputation?

Probably because his Obama is less eye-catching/ridiculous than Fey's Palin. He's playing Obama as a straight man who's reacting to the craziness around him. Fey has looks, star-power, a better impersonation, and some dead-on one-liners - lines that will be repeated on local news and cable news rebroadcasts for days after SNL has aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom