• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plouffe Sanguine

Barack Obama's margin among independent swing-voting women and sporadically voting Democrats are two of the main metrics his campaign is closely monitoring, Obama's election manager, David Plouffe, said today.

Plouffe, speaking to reporters, editors and executives of the Atlantic Media company in a throwback conference room in downtown Denver, said that Obama's internal polling suggests that McCain runs a double-digit deficit with this group runs into the double digits in some swing states. "And that's before they know about his position on choice and that he's against equal pay," Plouffe said.

Voters, he said, were treated to an "a ha!" moment last week when McCain couldn't recall the number of houses he owned and suggested that earning $5 million a year would not make a person rich.

"The development on the out of touch argument is an actually critical development of the campaign," he said, because "ome of the voters images of McCain don't jibe with reality."

He acknowledged that the campaign still had work to do in order to fill in some details about Barack Obama. "We have to be very careful how we approach the swing electorate because they don't have the information about Barack Obama."

We tried to get Plouffe to react to a spate of national polls showing a tightening race.

"All we care about is these 18 states," he said. He repeated, with emphasis, that the campaign does not care about national polling. Instead, the campaign's own identification, registration and canvassing efforts provide the data he uses to determine where to invest money and resources.

Other nuggets from Plouffe:

** If McCain doesn't win Colorado, "he has a 5% chance to win the election."

** He believes that they have "a slight edge" in Virginia.

** He said Obama is underperforming only among working class whites over 70 and pointed to a poll showing that Obama is over performing John Kerry with working class white voters under 50.

** Said that the campaign's target in Georgia is about 47% of the vote, owing to Ex-Rep. Bob Barr's ability to siphon votes away from John McCain.

** Said HIllary Clinton's speech "could not have gone better."

** Said the campaign "is really pleased" with where they are in Montana.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Hitokage said:
Why do I feel like it's 1994 again?

Because for the most part it is as the neocons and neoliberal elites of the world playing the american public and electorate for what it is.

NLB2

Banned
bob_arctor said:
But why the fuck would I bother? Is he running for President?? For the love of Pete, dude ain't even a child molester. That's the sort of person you want no part of. Eternally.
You're not the one saying Bill Ayers is only considered a terrorist because he's not white (he is white) and not rich (son of ComED - the Illinois electricity monopoly - CEO), rather than because he made bombs and tried to kill Americans because of their political beliefs.

Tamanon

Banned
Krowley said:
It's just looking at his whole career in the senate... McCain has always been fairly conservative, but he's always been willing to compromise and he's always been a voice of reason in his party. His recent stance only appeared in the lead-up to this current election, and even during all that, he defied his party on immigration and torture.. issues that he considers too important to fudge on... and almost lost in the primaries due to his unwillingness to bend.

Even now, he threatens to nominate a democrat as his VP and has his whole party in an uproar at the possibility.

Er....he flipped on immigration and torture too. In fact, didn't they get him to admit that he wouldn't even vote for his own immigration bill?

Clevinger

Krowley said:
It's just looking at his whole career in the senate... McCain has always been fairly conservative, but he's always been willing to compromise and he's always been a voice of reason in his party. His recent stance only appeared in the lead-up to this current election, and even during all that, he defied his party on immigration and torture.. issues that he considers too important to fudge on... and almost lost in the primaries due to his unwillingness to bend.

:lol :lol :lol

Oh, yeah, another core principle he's abandoned for the white house...

But yeah, the McCain of 2000 will sprout out of this shit smelling husk come inauguration...

maynerd

Banned
Krowley said:

Even now, he threatens to nominate a democrat as his VP and has his whole party in an uproar at the possibility.

Also, as a general rule, i never believe what politicians say in a campaign. I'm much more interested in looking at their actions and their records. That's one reason i don't trust Obama... His record is too thin, so it's hard to gauge him.

Hold up I thought he flip flopped on torture and immigration?

laserbeam

Banned
bu bu bu bu bu McCain supports tax breaks for Oil Companies

Barack Obama Is The Only Candidate Who In 2005 Voted For Billions In Tax Breaks For Oil Companies

Barack Obama Voted For The 2005 Energy Bill. (H.R. 6, CQ Vote #152: Motion Agreed To 92-4: R 53-1; D 38-3; I 1-0, 6/23/05, Obama Voted Yea; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #158: Passed 85-12: R 49-5; D 35-7; I 1-0, 6/28/05, Obama Voted Yea; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #213: Adopted 74-26: R 49-6; D 25-19; I 0-1, 7/29/05, Obama Voted Yea)

The 2005 Energy Bill Included $2.8 Billion In Subsidies For Oil And Natural Gas Production. "The conference agreement provides for $14.6 billion in tax breaks and credits between 2005 and 2015, including: -- $2.8 billion for fossil fuel production..." (Toni Johnson, "CQ Bill Analysis: HR 6," Congressional Quarterly's "CQ Bill Analysis," www.cq.com, Accessed 7/14/08)

Funny Enough Clinton,McCain and others all voted against the bill

bob_arctor said:
But why the fuck would I bother? Is he running for President?? For the love of Pete, dude ain't even a child molester. That's the sort of person you want no part of. Eternally.

Seriously...murdering people ain't got nuthin' on child molesters.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Krowley said:

Ok, even if McCain wants to run his administration in line with his record, he expresses the same lack of ability to remain on top of things as Bush did. He has a couple core issues he knows but so far in this campaign it seems everything else is what somebody whispered into his ear.

Oh, and he fudged on torture.

Krowley

Tamanon said:
Er....he flipped on immigration and torture too. In fact, didn't they get him to admit that he wouldn't even vote for his own immigration bill?

On immigration, his stance is "This is my position, but I understand that the people don't trust government to implement the bill."

On torture, as far as I know, he didn't flip, and still stands firmly against it. Certainly to the extent that some of his opponents used it against him in the campaign.

maynerd said:
Hold up I thought he flip flopped on torture and immigration?

If there was a flop on torture, it was minor enough that it didn't help him in the primaries. He was continualy attacked, and continualy defended his position against torture in interogations.

Hootie

bgae5i.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
gcubed said:

John McCain Voted Against The 2005 Energy Bill. (H.R. 6, CQ Vote #152: Motion Agreed To 92-4: R 53-1; D 38-3; I 1-0, 6/23/05, McCain Voted Nay; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #158: Passed 85-12: R 49-5; D 35-7; I 1-0, 6/28/05, McCain Voted Nay; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #213: Adopted 74-26: R 49-6; D 25-19; I 0-1, 7/29/05, McCain Voted Nay)

John McCain Criticized The 2005 Energy Bill's "Handouts To Big Business And Oil Companies," Calling Them Irresponsible. McCain: "This bill does little to address the immediate energy crisis we face in this country. The handouts to big business and oil companies are irresponsible and will be disastrous for people of Arizona. I cannot in good conscience, vote to pass legislation that does not adequately address issues related to energy efficiency, security, and energy independence." (Sen. John McCain, "McCain, Kyl Say No To Flawed Energy Bill," Press Release, 6/28/05)

maynerd

Banned
Krowley said:
On immigration, his stance is "This is my position, but I understand that the people don't trust government to implement the bill."

On torture, as far as I know, he didn't flip, and still stands firmly against it. Certainly to the extent that some of his opponents used it against him in the campaign.

Wut?

After casting himself as a
"Maverick" in 2000, the new John McCain is walking in lockstep with President
Bush, pandering to the right wing of the Republican Party, and embracing the
ideology he once denounced. On the campaign trail McCain has callously
abandoned many of his previously held positions, even contradicted himself, in
a blatant attempt to remake himself into a candidate Republicans can accept in
2008. So just who is the real John McCain? The Democratic National Committee
will present a daily fact aimed at exposing the man behind the myth.

Today's McCain Myth: John McCain is sticking to his principles on torture.

Throughout this campaign, the news media has credited John McCain with
consistently opposing the Bush Administration policies that permitted the CIA
to use extreme interrogation tactics like waterboarding on terror detainees,
touting his stance as evidence of McCain's "maverick" streak. Yesterday,
McCain was faced with a choice between voting to extend the Army field
manual's prohibition on torture to the CIA and cozying up to the right wing of
his Party. Once again, he chose pandering over his principles.

As recently as October 2007, McCain called waterboarding "torture," telling
the New York Times, "It is not a complicated procedure. It is torture." [New
York Times, 10/26/07] According to the Chicago Tribune, "Waterboarding is
illegal under the Geneva Conventions and is also prohibited under the U.S.
Army Field Manual." [Chicago Tribune, 2/6/08]

Yet, given a chance to ban the practice, McCain voted against an intelligence
bill that would "ban waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques
used by the CIA...The measure would effectively ban the use of simulated
drowning, temperature extremes and other harsh tactics that the CIA used on
al-Qaeda prisoners." [Washington Post, 2/14/2008]

Apparently McCain is willing to change his position on torture if it earns him
a few right wing endorsements.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Krowley said:
To be fair, they're calling it "enhanced interrogation techniques" now, not torture. :p

gcubed

laserbeam said:
John McCain Voted Against The 2005 Energy Bill. (H.R. 6, CQ Vote #152: Motion Agreed To 92-4: R 53-1; D 38-3; I 1-0, 6/23/05, McCain Voted Nay; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #158: Passed 85-12: R 49-5; D 35-7; I 1-0, 6/28/05, McCain Voted Nay; H.R. 6, CQ Vote #213: Adopted 74-26: R 49-6; D 25-19; I 0-1, 7/29/05, McCain Voted Nay)

John McCain Criticized The 2005 Energy Bill's "Handouts To Big Business And Oil Companies," Calling Them Irresponsible. McCain: "This bill does little to address the immediate energy crisis we face in this country. The handouts to big business and oil companies are irresponsible and will be disastrous for people of Arizona. I cannot in good conscience, vote to pass legislation that does not adequately address issues related to energy efficiency, security, and energy independence." (Sen. John McCain, "McCain, Kyl Say No To Flawed Energy Bill," Press Release, 6/28/05)

yes i deleted after your extra edit.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
** If McCain doesn't win Colorado, "he has a 5% chance to win the election."
I think that's the most telling quote. Obama has a lot of different ways to get to 270 electoral votes, but this line makes me think they are not counting on the traditional swing states - Ohio, Florida - to do it. With Colorado taken, Obama has a LOT of combinations to get there. Heck, if they win Iowa, Colorado and New Mexico while losing no Kerry states, they take it. And there's a LOT more states in play.

Hitokage said:
To be fair, they're calling it "enhanced interrogation techniques" now, not torture. :p
My favorite part of that defining is that according to the administration - and McCain's own votes - McCain was not tortured in Vietnam. He was subjected to perfectly legal "enhanced interrogation techniques".

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
siamesedreamer said:

Six months ago they tried smear Obama with guilt-by-association.

This is guilt-by-association-through-association. It's on some, my best friend's dog's mother's poodle hot mexican janitor told me shit.

siamesedreamer said:
It ignores the fact that Clinton's total debt was ~$2.0 trillion.

And yes, I've stated many times Bush has been horrific.

Which he inherited from these guys:

6d1d4177-8faa-458a-e897-b9216f3f6c5b-news_fb_RonaldReagan.jpg

519px-George_H._W._Bush,_President_of_the_United_States,_1989_official_portrait.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Krowley said:
On torture, as far as I know, he didn't flip, and still stands firmly against it. Certainly to the extent that some of his opponents used it against him in the campaign

As far as you know, yes. As far as most people would probably care enough to know, really. After all, why would a man who was tortured himself allow our President an out to do the same?

In September, 2006, McCain made a melodramatic display -- with great media fanfare -- of insisting that the Military Commissions Act require compliance with the Geneva Conventions for all detainees. But while the MCA purports to require that, it also vested sole and unchallenged discretion in the President to determine what does and does not constitute a violation of the Conventions.

That law pretends to compel compliance with the Conventions, while simultaneously vesting the President with the power to violate them.

speculawyer said:
Damn Clinton for the best economic performance that the country had seen in many years.

Hehe. I was joking around when I made that comment, but to be fair, didn't Newt's Contract with America help the economy a bit the proposed tax cuts Clinton signed?

siamesedreamer said:

Here's the two things that Obama requested for which are taken from that link:

"In the end, Obama's $1.4 million in requests resulted in $192,000 for the nursing facility."

AND

"In 2006, Obama also asked for $2 million for a cancer research treatment center at Chicago's Thorek Memorial Hospital"

When i say "lobbyist" i'm not talking about money for treatment centers,nursing facilities,etc...

Please, stop with your bull-shit. PLEASE!!!

Krowley

bob_arctor said:
As far as you know, yes. As far as most people would probably care enough to know, really. After all, why would a man who was tortured himself allow our President an out to do the same?

Interesting.. I didn't have the full facts on that, and it's much more nuanced than I realized. I knew the liberals had a gripe about it, but i didn't know the whole story, so thanks for the info.

His insistence on Geneva conventions compliance for dealing with terrorists was more than enough to cause him trouble in the primaries, even if it didn't actually have any teeth. The republican base is incredibly conservative on that issue.

reilo said:

This is guilt-by-association-through-association. It's on some, my best friend's dog's mother's poodle hot mexican janitor told me shit.

And a couple days ago you said Biden's son wasn't a lobbyist. BOOYAH...

reilo said:
Which he inherited from these guys:

6d1d4177-8faa-458a-e897-b9216f3f6c5b-news_fb_RonaldReagan.jpg

519px-George_H._W._Bush,_President_of_the_United_States,_1989_official_portrait.jpg

You're absolutely correct. Its called the piece dividend. Clinton reaped the benefits of the work that came before anyone even knew his name. He's lucky that his wife's budget-busting healthcare plan was defeated. That surplus would never have existed.

JayDubya

Banned
A surplus that came from divided government where upon Clinton could not pass his universal healthcare bullshit amongst other things through a Republican controlled congress.

The federal government even mostly shut down for a little while there. Like sweet music to my ears.

reilo

siamesedreamer said:
reilo said:

And a couple days ago you said Biden's son wasn't a lobbyist. BOOYAH...

You're absolutely correct. Its called the piece dividend. Clinton reaped the benefits of the work that came before anyone even knew his name. He's lucky that his wife's budget-busting was defeated. That surplus would never have existed.

Biden's son is an employee for the goddamn government. By that theory, Obama and Biden are lobbyists for Illinois and Delaware respectively.

On your other point...

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

You are bat shit insane.

So, our current economic fuck-ups are Clinton's fault? So if a Democrat were to take office this January, and the economy and country improves significantly in a couple of years, it would be because of George Bush's policies?

Get the fuck out.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Krowley said:
Interesting.. I didn't have the full facts on that, and it's much more nuanced than I realized. I knew the liberals had a gripe about it, but i didn't know the whole story, so thanks for the info.

Try to look up Glenn Greenwald and his posts on the torture issue. Pretty damn thorough. He's at Salon.com now.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
JayDubya said:
A surplus that came from divided government where upon Clinton could not pass his universal healthcare bullshit amongst other things through a Republican controlled congress.

The federal government even mostly shut down for a little while there. Like sweet music to my ears.

Some day JayDubya, I hope you get to experience what it's like to not have healthcare or not be able to get healthcare. You can preach from the mountaintop as much as you'd like, but until you have a bit of perspective on the matter, you can't fully understand.

Tamanon

Banned
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/27/1297684.aspx#comments

From NBC/NJ's Matthew E. Berger
The Obamas and the Bidens will take their show on the road beginning Friday, with a bus tour that will start in Pennsylvania -- and will later head to Ohio and Michigan. The tour, entitled “On the Road to Change,” will be the first campaign appearances for both candidates since formally accepting the Democratic Party nomination and will include both Michelle Obama and Jill Biden.

Details for the events have not been finalized. An Obama campaign press release said the tour would focus on economic issues. It will serve as counterprogramming as the Republian convention kicks off in Minnesota.

That'll be good, a bus tour for the candidates and their wives through 2 swing states and Pennsylvania.

reilo

siamesedreamer said:
"As percent of GDP"

Here's a real link...

Ugh, do you read your own goddamn links?

The chart below, Figure 1, shows the United States national debt (per Microsoft’s Encarta Encyclopedia[1] and US Government data[2]) with the various Presidents’ terms marked by vertical lines. Under President Clinton the growth in debt ceased, but note the radical change in direction since George W. Bush entered office. There is no question and a lot of mathematical proof that the steepest upward rises in debt since the end of World War II, started with President Reagan and continued with other so called Neo-Conservatives. (See red in Figure 1 below. For larger views of any graph in this paper just put your mouse pointer over the graph and click on it).

Trickle Down Theory Myth

History has shown that the “trickle down theory” does not work. Republican President Hoover tried the “trickle down” theory (his words) to solve economic problems during the last few years of his only term, when the greatest economic depression this country has ever faced began. It is often called the Republican Depression because it was their financial philosophy that led to the collapse of the economy. Tax cuts for the rich did not work and things got worse.

President Roosevelt got into office, raised taxes on the rich, created jobs for the poor and turned things around. Mr. Reagan employed Hoover’s failed trickle down theory again in the ‘80s and again it did not work. The rich got richer, but the poor got poorer and the economy declined. Mr. Bush Sr., who always had a problem with the “vision thing”, continued the failed policy of his immediate predecessor.

Mr. Clinton took a more progressive approach and, as Roosevelt had done, turned the Hoover model upside down. Instead of making the rich richer in the hope that they would spend that money and thus create demand and therefore jobs, he created a tax environment that encouraged the creation of jobs directly. It was an economic environment where everyone could get rich, not just a few, and it worked. Lots of jobs and lots of new millionaires were created while Clinton was in office. More new millionaires were created during the Clinton administration than at any other time in our history.

siamesedreamer said:
"As percent of GDP"

Here's a real link...
From your link:
The chart below, Figure 1, shows the United States national debt (per Microsoft’s Encarta Encyclopedia[1] and US Government data[2]) with the various Presidents’ terms marked by vertical lines. Under President Clinton the growth in debt ceased, but note the radical change in direction since George W. Bush entered office. There is no question and a lot of mathematical proof that the steepest upward rises in debt since the end of World War II, started with President Reagan and continued with other so called Neo-Conservatives.

image001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom