• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDG

Banned
Cooter said:
They have now over taking Fox as the #1 cheerleaders for a particular side IMO.
Oh please, that's silly.

Who are Fox's Scarborough and Buchanon? Colmes? Give me a break.

siamesedreamer said:
McCain's tax cuts are completely wreckless - bordering on insanity. Good thing they would have absolutely no shot at coming to fruition with the DEM congress in place.
Wow. I agree with SD on something!

Yeah . . . fiscal conservatism FTW!

Cutting taxes like crazy without matching spending cuts just doesn't work. As the CATO institute pointed out, it fails to slow spending . . . it actually allows spending to increase since the tax-payers are not feeling the pain they need to feel to make them demand spending cuts.

And when you cut taxes w/o cutting spending, you create massive deficits. The markets react to this by devaluing your currency such that you really don't get any increased value from those tax cuts . . . the extra dollars you get from less taxes are eaten up by the reduced value of the dollar.

It's the economy, stupid. I hope Bill Clinton talks about his work in this area since the period of his presidency (along with a GOP congress) actually managed to give us fiscal conservatism and a strong economy.

Cooter said:
I am loving MSNBC's coverage. I've never laughed so hard watching political "analysts." After Michelle and Hillary's speech Olberman was so happy and anxious to make the democrats case it was pure comedy.

I think one time he called Hillary's speech as perfect as she could have done followed by a if this doesn't unite the party I don't know what will. Watching Matthews and Olberman you would think they were delegates themselves. NBC must know how obvious it is that their on air personalities desperately want Obama to win and are cool with it. They have now over taking Fox as the #1 cheerleaders for a particular side IMO.
Really? Come on, now. I like Olbermann for what he is, but I'm completely willing to concede that he is far from the most objective journalist out there, and can easily get carried away. Is he is bad as some of the Fox guys? That's a debate I don't care to have, as it's entirely subjective. But when you chastise MSNBC as being cheerleaders, are you really referring to MSNBC as a whole, or just Olbermann? Who else on the network is on par with Olbermann? How does Keith alone make the network worse than Fox News?

TDG said:
Oh please, that's silly.

Who are Fox's Scarborough and Buchanon? Colmes? Give me a break.

Colmes actually does a decent job sometimes. He used to be a complete hack... but lately he actually gets pretty aggressive when Hannity spews complete BS.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Odrion said:
I don't mind one bit, at least these cheerleaders aren't fear mongering that colored people will doom our society.

Keith is as overly theatrical as a liberal can get but that's the charm.

Oh, I don't mind either. It's just hilarious to watch these people so obviously pulling for one candidate. They don't even try to conceal their bias. Funny and refreshing.

Tamanon

Banned
Cooter said:
Oh, I don't mind either. It's just hilarious to watch these people so obviously pulling for one candidate. They don't even try to conceal their bias. Funny and refreshing.

Eh, it's kinda refreshing, as opposed to the Independent Lou Dobbs or Joe Scarborough.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
maynerd said:
WTF is with republicans being bitchy about columns on the stage?

vagop.gif

Also...

Damn so the republicans have already done the columns look? So that means they can't bitch about Obama doing it right?

And it actually looks tight as hell. I can't wait for this speech on Thursday.

Smiles and Cries said:
Why compare it to the Nazi era design? that's a low blow of an attack
Yeah, I think that is a childish low-blow. It is pretty much the same as Ben Stein calling Obama like Hitler because he is popular and gives good speeches.

Tamanon

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I can't believe how many ads they pump out....

The thing is they don't even really air all of these ads... they just make them to get airtime on the news networks.

Yup, of the 3 ads they just released, only one had any airtime, and it only aired in Toledo, OH. Welcome to the 24-hour newscycle!

Cooter

Steve Youngblood said:
Really? Come on, now. I like Olbermann for what he is, but I'm completely willing to concede that he is far from the most objective journalist out there, and can easily get carried away. Is he is bad as some of the Fox guys? That's a debate I don't care to have, as it's entirely subjective. But when you chastise MSNBC as being cheerleaders, are you really referring to MSNBC as a whole, or just Olbermann? Who else on the network is on par with Olbermann? How does Keith alone make the network worse than Fox News?

Well their entire pre and post DNC coverage was filled with obvious Obama supports with the exception from Pat. I don't know all their names but it is clear that they all favor Obama. I'm just amazed at how they don't give a shit and just continue to be themselves.

Coverage is influenced by being at the epicenter. Cenk on TYT got a feeling up his leg too last night. He is usually a hard sell.

KEY DIFFERENCE with the support of Obama over McCain @ MSNBC. The people don't resort to lying or nonsense. And with the convention being most all style there is no way to unfairly tilt something heavily 1 way or the other without it coming off as obvious empty rhetoric and the crowd watching or participating will boo the nonsense.

Cooter said:
Well their entire pre and post DNC coverage was filled with obvious Obama supports with the exception from Pat. I don't know all their names but it is clear that they all favor Obama. I'm just amazed at how they don't give a shit and just continue to be themselves.
I think you're ridiculous, and here's the reason:

Msnbc does not imply Mccain is a terrorist or say any of the other ridiculous lies that Fox News does. They simply do not compare to fox news, you lost your mind somewhere.

And I'm an independent. So get the fuck out of here with this bullshit.

mckmas8808 said:
Damn so the republicans have already done the columns look? So that means they can't bitch about Obama doing it right?
:lol

What haven't they done that they haven't bitched about Democrats doing?

Cooter said:
Well, it's no trade secret that MSNBC has a liberal slant. For the most part, there is little use in trying to cover it up and pretend that they're all completely non-partisan. However, having a bias, and being a complete shill for a partisan agenda are two different things. Furthermore, this is the DNC. It's entire purpose is to be a rally for Democrats. Do they need to be non-partisan here?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Odrion said:

I can certainly live with that. You guys are right- this needs to be highlighted over and over. Even the conservatives at The Corner have said McCain is vulnerable on this..

Tamanon

Banned
I assume some of the gloom and doom can be quieted? Obama leads 45-44 in the Gallup daily again:p

Also, apparently that hilarious Daddy Yankee endorsement of McCain....first off, since McCain thought "gasolina" was about energy, not givin' girls a 'shot....well apparently he first approached the Obama campaign to endorse, but they rebuffed him.:lol

gcubed

JayDubya said:
Ingsoc. Your memory is doubleplus ungood.

ha, awesome, i just finished reading that for like the 5th time a few weeks ago. I had the Newspeak ready to go but you were way ahead of me

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
I assume some of the gloom and doom can be quieted? Obama leads 45-44 in the Gallup daily again:p
3 point swing.

Nice job, Michelle.

Patrick Leahy:

Leahy told Vogel yesterday the media has given McCain a free pass on flubs including mixing up Middle East geography, Shiite and Sunni Muslims, and referring to Russia's relationship Czechoslovakia -- a country that hasn't existed for 15 years.

"It was the same way with Ronald Reagan in the last few years he was president," Leahy said, referring to the belief that Reagan experienced early signs of Alzheimer's disease late in his presidency.
:D :lol

gcubed said:
So... instead of having a more complicated set design, and giving more work and more money to the local area contractors that would be hired to do the design and build, they decide to scale back and spend less money, and put less money into the local economy... because... the economy is bad?

Does this confuse anyone else or is it just me?

Hahaha, not confusing just stupid and disingenuous. Good analysis on McCain's bullshit though!

Cooter

Steve Youngblood said:
Well, it's no trade secret that MSNBC has a liberal slant. For the most part, there is little use in trying to cover it up and pretend that they're all completely non-partisan. However, having a bias, and being a complete shill for a partisan agenda are two different things. Furthermore, this is the DNC. It's entire purpose is to be a rally for Democrats. Do they need to be non-partisan here?

No they don't. I'm just not used to tuning into NBC and seeing 8 out of 9 people giddy with huge smiles because they think their party did well on a particular night. I'm just getting used to it and Kieth's comments are by far the most LOL worthy. He is literally speechless sometimes. You can tell he is so happy inside. My first thought was he is acting like I did when I was 6 on Christmas morning.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Cooter said:
No they don't. I'm just not used to tuning into NBC and seeing 8 out of 9 people giddy with huge smiles because they think their party did well on a particular night. I'm just getting used to it and Kieth's comments are by far the most LOL worthy. He is literally speechless sometimes. You can tell he is so happy inside. My first thought was he is acting like I did when I was 6 on Christmas morning.
MSNBC made an interesting choice with Olbermann as the co-host for the convention coverage, but he's the network's biggest rating grabber. i also wouldn't exactly call Matthews a liberal cheerleader, just a confusing bloviator who likes the sound of his voice.

and the minute Fox News gives a 3-hour daytime show to the liberal equivalent of Scarborough you'll have a point.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
3 point swing.

Nice job, Michelle.

Patrick Leahy:

:D :lol

Actually the polling was before the Michelle Obama speech, I think it was the Biden bit, also, sounds like they just had one day of an outlier polling that skewed it. Who cares anyways?:lol

Its been a while:

- association with Ayers & Wright Yay for fear tactics, McCain associates with Bush, that's enough for me.

Let's Compare Associations!

Rev Wright was the pastor in a Very Mainstream Church in Chicago. His relationship to Obama was more of a spiritual one, which doesn't require the Obama family to share all of the same political views.

William Ayers did some fucked up shit to this country when Barack Obama was like 6 years old. By the time Obama started working alongside him he had turned his life around and had become a professor at an Illinois University, and Obama was working with him to RAISE MONEY FOR CHICAGO SCHOOLS which they did a great job with. ZOMG THEY RAISE MONEY FOR SCHOOLS, TERRISTS CONFIRMED

George W Bush and John McCain have been joined at the hip ever since 9/11. John McCain has actually supported Bush's disastrous economic policy, wanted to go to war with Iraq even before Bush did, and in the last year has voted 100% in lockstep with him. This relationship has been going on to this day no matter how much McCain will deny it. This isn't stuff Bush did when McCain was 6 years old and it's not like Bush was McCain's spiritual mentor who didn't see eye to eye with him on political issues. McCain has supported Bush's failed policies and actions that are tearing this country apart.

Which association is the most damning?
PROTIP: If you don't say Bush you're wrong

Chrono

Banned
minus_273 said:
dude, JFK fought in WWII. Obama/biden is the ticket with no military experience in about 70 years

That's right folks, McCain getting shot down and being a failure of a pilot somehow makes him more qualified to be president. Yep. :lol

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
polyh3dron said:
Let's Compare Associations!

Rev Wright was the pastor in a Very Mainstream Church in Chicago. His relationship to Obama was more of a spiritual one, which doesn't require the Obama family to share all of the same political views.

William Ayers did some fucked up shit to this country when Barack Obama was like 6 years old. By the time Obama started working alongside him he had turned his life around and had become a professor at an Illinois University, and Obama was working with him to RAISE MONEY FOR CHICAGO SCHOOLS which they did a great job with. ZOMG THEY RAISE MONEY FOR SCHOOLS, TERRISTS CONFIRMED

George W Bush and John McCain have been joined at the hip ever since 9/11. John McCain has actually supported Bush's disastrous economic policy, wanted to go to war with Iraq even before Bush did, and in the last year has voted 100% in lockstep with him. This relationship has been going on to this day no matter how much McCain will deny it. This isn't stuff Bush did when McCain was 6 years old and it's not like Bush was McCain's spiritual mentor who didn't see eye to eye with him on political issues. McCain has supported Bush's failed policies and actions that are tearing this country apart.

Which association is the most damning?
PROTIP: If you don't say Bush you're wrong

PROTIP: If you're not white and rich, with powerful white rich buddies, you're a terrist, or a terrist sympathizer. Or both.

Cooter

Chrono said:
That's right folks, McCain getting shot down and being a failure of a pilot somehow makes him more qualified to be president. Yep. :lol

That wasn't very nice. I wouldn't call every pilot that gets shot down a failure.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Chrono said:

I know he was drugged but didn't they break him and video taped him saying bad stuff about america? Is there footage of that?

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
Actually the polling was before the Michelle Obama speech, I think it was the Biden bit, also, sounds like they just had one day of an outlier polling that skewed it. Who cares anyways?:lol
Today's polling includes two days from before Michelle spoke, and one day after (yesterday).

Any real bounce - and I'm still not expecting one - won't start until today or tomorrow.

Also, graphs:

080827DailyUpdateGraph1_hjklmnb.gif

A better night for Obama in Gallup's Tuesday tracking interviews, however, suggests that a convention bounce could develop.

scorcho

Cooter said:
That wasn't very nice. I wouldn't call every pilot that gets shot down a failure.
his POW status also has no bearing on his ability/temperament to serve the country as POTUS.

Tamanon

Banned
Cooter said:

Eh....he did lose five planes, at least I think that was the count. He wasn't a success at the least. But c'est la vie, doesn't matter. Even being a successful pilot means jack shit for the Presidency.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Cooter said:
They have now over taking Fox as the #1 cheerleaders for a particular side IMO.

They definitely show more enthusiasm for the democrats lately. I know they take a lot of heat for attacking the Bush administration, but its not like that isn't 100% deserved.

Azrael

GhaleonEB said:
3 point swing.

Nice job, Michelle.

Patrick Leahy:

I'm imagining a Bizarro world right now where the media had as much of a left-wing bias as it has a right-wing bias in the real world.

Wolf Blitzer: The Obama campaign released a new ad today, questioning McCain's ability to lead. Take a look.

(ad runs, intermixed clips of McCain and Reagan flubs, implies McCain has Alzheimer's Disease)

Wolf Blitzer: Now, we have a neurologist here. He has not physically examined Mr. McCain, but based on his experience and by analyzing clips of McCain's speech, he has concluded the candidate is showing early signs of Alzheimer's. Welcome to the show...

Flip to Fox News. Chyron at bottom of screen reads "McCain: Alzheimer's or Senile?"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
scorcho said:
his POW status also has no bearing on his ability/temperament to serve the country as POTUS.

I happen to think it has plenty to do with it (and not in a good way) but it's not an argument I can make convincingly.

scorcho

even though i don't watch MSNBC much anymore, that there's finally an economically viable (and popular) network catering unabashedly to liberal orthodoxy is great.

pxleyes

Banned
scorcho said:
If they are going to use his POW status as a justification for divorcing his first wife, I think I can claim it has an impact on his ability to run this country.

polyh3dron[B said:
George W Bush[/B] and John McCain have been joined at the hip ever since 9/11. John McCain has actually supported Bush's disastrous economic policy, wanted to go to war with Iraq even before Bush did, and in the last year has voted 100% in lockstep with him. This relationship has been going on to this day no matter how much McCain will deny it. This isn't stuff Bush did when McCain was 6 years old and it's not like Bush was McCain's spiritual mentor who didn't see eye to eye with him on political issues. McCain has supported Bush's failed policies and actions that are tearing this country apart.

Consider yourself part of the uninformed millions of Americans that PolitiGAF likes to rail against on a daily basis.

Focus on the Family gathered their forces to pray for rain on Obama:

Evangelicals asked to pray for rain at Barack Obama nomination
Evangelical Christians have been asked to pray for "rain of biblical proportions" to fall on Senator Barack Obama as he accepts the Democratic nomination.
By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 8:20PM BST 13 Aug 2008

Stuart Shepard of Focus on the Family, one of America's leading evangelical groups, was shown in a video filmed at Denver's Invesco Field, where 75,000 are expected to cheer Mr Obama on Aug 28, asking Christians to pray for "torrential" rain.

"I'm talking 'umbrella-ain't-going-to-help-you rain," the former pastor and television meteorologist said. He explained on the video: "I'm still pro life, and I'm still in favour of marriage as being between one man and one woman. And I would like the next president who will select justices for the next Supreme Court to agree."

Weather forecast for Denver, CO
Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High 82F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

But wait! . . . . It gets worse . . . the GOP, famous for its incredibly inept response to hurricane Katrina that nearly wiped New Orleans off the map, will have its Republican National Convention next week . . . just as hurricane(?) Gustav hits New Orleans!
143014W_sm.gif

Thread about praying for rain at focus on the family site:
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2068188/posts
This thread has been pulled.
Pulled on 08/26/2008 5:47:44 AM PDT by Admin Moderator, reason:

no thanks

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
pxleyes said:
If they are going to use his POW status as a justification for divorcing his first wife, I think I can claim it has an impact on his ability to run this country.

Been a POW has made McCain unsuitable to be POTUS, due to neurological and physical scarring that it has left him with. His patriotism should not be awarded with an incredibly high stress job that ages men triply fast; his age and health would also be a liability. If he dies, we'll be left with a huge question mark. Would you have elected Dick Cheney as President? Because by electing McCain, you may well be electing his vice president as his successor.

a Vote for McCain is a vote against John McCain. Respect POWs by voting for Barack Obama.

ad not funded or endorsed by obama campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom