• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEO3

I haven't seen this posted yet:

http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/

It's a great site you can send to people, repost on other forums, whatever, that lets people find out exactly how much they'll be saving under Obama's tax plan, and then how much more they'd be paying under McCain's. It's a great way to get the message out there that the 'Obama will raise your taxes' talking point from the Republicans is a bunch of shit.

GhaleonEB

DEO3 said:

It's a great site you can send to people, repost on other forums, whatever, that lets people find out exactly how much they'll be saving under Obama's tax plan, and then how much more they'd be paying under McCain's. It's a great way to get the message out there that the 'Obama will raise your taxes' talking point from the Republicans is a bunch of shit.
$1400 tax cut for me under Obama. $500 under McCain.

That's it, I'm voting Obama. Cash money!

Odrion

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Uh huh - there's nothing the center likes more than ignorant wackos who unashamedly hate science and believe the earth is 3,000 years old.
Sadly I don't think that would be too big of a detriment. Huckabee can draw in a lot of neutrals with his charm.
DEO3 said:

THIS is what the Obama campaign needs to do, the majority of the public thinks the opposite of the truth and Obama hasn't spent any time dispelling those beliefs. Too bad the guy was retarded and set up a donation box for Obama, I have a feeling some people are going to discredit this site.

Oh shut the fuck up Tucker Carlson you're being a fucking idiot.

"What is so pious about him?"

"Why is he such a big deal, everybody's all like 'be quiet, Barack is talking' I mean, he's not Jesus!"

ughhhh Tucker is really pushing that "The One" meme to the extreme.

Seriously.. just because people want to listen to him speak. They also wanted to hear Michelle speak, they wanted to hear Hillary and Bill speak, and they'll also want to hear John McCain speak as well. It's not because they think Barack is fucking Jesus or something, it's because, y'know, he's a CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES YOU JACKASS.

Someone needs to put that clip up on youtube just to show how much of a troll Tucker is.

He's like APF but with even more hyperbole and troll-ness.

polyh3dron said:
Oh shut the fuck up Tucker Carlson you're being a fucking idiot.

"What is so pious about him?"

"Why is he such a big deal, everybody's all like 'be quiet, Barack is talking' I mean, he's not Jesus!"

ughhhh Tucker is really pushing that "The One" meme to the extreme.

I think Freeland was throwing down cause she remembered Tucker "Dick" Carlson's slaming of Canada.

HylianTom

Banned
Has anyone posted these yet?

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

http://www.236.com/news/2008/08/27/tonight_show_audience_tortured_8522.php

:lol :lol :lol

jjasper

DEO3 said:

I just did my parents (both of which are going to vote for McCain):

Your Obama Tax Cut is: $5,326.76

:lol I doubt it will change their minds though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GhaleonEB said:
$1400 tax cut for me under Obama. $500 under McCain.

That's it, I'm voting Obama. Cash money!
Your Obama Tax Cut is: $4,156.62

guess my mccain tax cut is more since it doesn't say.

either way: JACKPOT!

i knew the politicians would start helping out the little guy aka me

HylianTom said:
Southern Decadence is in New Orleans starting this week. The fundies will blame the homos for Gustav. (Maybe they can mention that "Gustav" sounds like the name of a Russian leather daddy.. :lol )

http://www.southerndecadence.net/

(also: please pick Romney! Pleeeeease!!!!)

If "God's Staff" is violently spilling fluids after a looong wet Sunday night -- well -- sorry fundies, God is officially out of the closet.

New Poll: 74% of Dems feel unified, only 14% disagree

http://rasmussenreports.com/public_..._of_democrats_say_convention_has_unified_them
Three out of four Democrats (74%) say the party’s ongoing national convention has unified them as they roll out now in full force to put their nominee, Barack Obama, in the White House. Just 14% think the convention has not unified them.

Fifty-two percent (52%) of voters overall agree that the convention has unified Democrats, while only 30% disagree, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Fifty-nine percent (59%) also believe that Hillary Clinton’s speech Tuesday night endorsing Obama helps the candidate’s chances of being elected president. More importantly, after weeks of media reports about division in the party between the Clinton and Obama forces, 84% of Democrats say Clinton’s speech helps Obama.

Less than half (45%) of all voters, however, believe Clinton really wants Obama to become president, and 36% think she does not. Again, Democrats have a lot more confidence in the former first lady: 68% say she wants Obama to win, while only 17% say she doesn’t.

But the speech clearly impressed voters with the sincerity of her support for the first African-American nominee of a major political party since the percentage of those who believe she wants him to win has increased noticeably. In a survey taken the night before Clinton’s speech, 56% of Democrats and just 37% of voters overall believed Clinton wanted Obama to win.

Perhaps most importantly, 64% of Democratic women now believe Clinton wants Obama to be elected president, versus 19% who do not think that is the case. Prior to the speech, only 47% of Democratic women thought Clinton wanted Obama to win.

That's progress. It only gets better from here.

HylianTom

Banned
ZealousD said:
I love the McCain version of The Aristocrats. :lol

.. it was the attention to detail that grabbed me. Literary craftsmanship!

".. part-white, part-black, part-semen pattern on his face.." :lol :lol

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Obama Tax Cut: $980

McCain Tax Cut: -$900 (aka $900 more in taxes)

I guess McCain hates married couples without kids.... :lol

so_awes

Banned
DEO3 said:

blocked at work :(

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
reilo said:
McCain's camp has confirmed it's down to three:

Romney, Pawlenty, and Lieberman.

*fingers crossed for Lieberman*

Rove tried to kill Lieberman VP pick

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact John McCain to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

when Obama came out on stage last night, he planted one right on Jill's lips

looks like they're not gonna wait for the white house to start the swinging

By the way, why haven't more liberal blogs pointed out how insanely stupid the Republicans look for thinking Obama's stage is supposed to be a "Greek Temple"? These people clearly don't know the significance of the setting of the Lincoln Memorial and forgot that tomorrow is the anniversary of the "I Have A Dream" speech and they have the audacity to claim someone else is out of touch? :lol

You can't make this stuff up.

soul creator said:
when Obama came out on stage last night, he planted one right on Jill's lips

looks like they're not gonna wait for the white house to start the swinging
I saw a replay, it was the CHIN, so more like a mistake, then he seems to be a tad apologetic

pxleyes

Banned
typhonsentra said:
By the way, why haven't more liberal blogs pointed out how insanely stupid the Republicans look for thinking Obama's stage is supposed to be a "Greek Temple"? These people clearly don't know the significance of the setting of the Lincoln Memorial and forgot that tomorrow is the anniversary of the "I Have A Dream" speech and they have the audacity to claim someone else is out of touch? :lol

You can't make this stuff up.
They also don't know their own recent history where Republicans have shown up on stages much like Obama's.

McCain VP rally tickets still available!

DAYTON — Tickets are still available for Sen. John McCain's Friday, Aug. 29, rally at Wright State University's Nutter Center in Fairborn.

McCain and his wife Cindy will appear at the event, dubbed the "Road to the Convention Rally." Doors open at 9 a.m. and the event begins at 11 a.m.

Tickets are being given away at county GOP offices in southwest Ohio and in Indiana and Kentucky.

"Looking forward to coming out to Dayton and having a great rally," McCain told the Dayton Daily News on Wednesday.

Union members and progressive groups plan to protest outside at the south entrance to the Nutter Center, said Mike Gillis, political communications director for the AFL-CIO.

"We're going to be demonstrating on Sen. McCain's continuation of Bush trade policies, which have cost the Miami Valley over 33,000 jobs over the last eight years," Gillis said. "Job security is a thing of the past in Dayton."

There has been speculation that McCain would use the Dayton visit to announce his running mate but McCain said he's not reached a decision yet, so he's not sure if there will be an announcement here.

tanod

when is my burrito
Fatalah said:
Can someone sum up what exactly is going on at MSNBC? In bullet form if possible!

Matthews, Olbermann, Gregory and to a lesser extent, Chuck Todd fighting over Tim Russert's old job and prestige.

tanod

when is my burrito
Odrion said:
My most feared pick would be Huckabee. Not only would he motivate evangelicals but he oozes with that "I want a beer with him" charm. I acknowledge all the crazy things he said about politics and bringing church and state together and still I like the guy and curious enough about his new show on Fox. I could bet he'd snatch a LOT of independents, and build a bridge for people in the center to the right-wing party.

Luckily I doubt it's the case and we'll get Romney, although I heard a lot of voters say that they'd go from "no vote" to "McCain" if such was the case.

I am also 99% sure that the VP pick is Romney.

In an alternate reality where McCain actually lived up to his promises of an honorable campaign, he may have picked Huckabee, and they would have been an extremely effective ticket.

Fatalah

tanod said:
Matthews, Olbermann, Gregory and to a lesser extent, Chuck Todd fighting over Tim Russert's old job and prestige.

Ah, so that's what this is all over?

I kind of think Olbermann needs to bring himself down a notch. As much as I love him.

What's funny is that out of all of them Maddow is turning into the real star at MSNBC.

I'll always love Matthews, but he's a bit to maniacal to be at Russert's level of journalism. Plus, isn't Chris running for Senate in the near future?

HylianTom

Banned
Fatalah said:
What's funny is that out of all of them Maddow is turning into the real star at MSNBC.

Every time she's been on in front of the Denver live audience, they've gone batshit crazy over her. She chews-up and spits-out her opponents with ease, and apparently the crowd eats it up.

Should be fun to see the Twin Cities GOP crowd booing her next week. :p

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Fatalah said:

I kind of think Olbermann needs to bring himself down a notch. As much as I love him.

I'll always love Matthews, but he's a bit to maniacal to be at Russert's level of journalism. Plus, isn't Chris running for Senate in the near future?

She's the smartest one and it shows everytime she talks.

Clevinger

quadriplegicjon said:
holy crap that site is hilarious. did you guys read the 'PUMA' live blogging hillary's speach?

http://www.236.com/news/2008/08/27/a_pumas_liveblog_of_hillarys_d_1_8528.php

:lol

I love 23/6. It's run by some really great comedians (Eugene Mirman, Jon Benjamin, Jon Glaser).

They also have a youtube channel with some great stuff on there (like how they made and fooled everyone into believing the "Raining McCain" was real, or "Swift Kids for Truth").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPbbcPT4-U

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
tanod said:

Uhm, bullshit.

Fatalah said:

No.

It could just be a case of dissenting opinion. If these guys really wanted Russert's job, don't you think they would have cleaned their act up and tried to be more like Russert? Mathews and Olbermann already have primetime shows that air five times a week.

syllogism

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1836909,00.html

What do you want voters to know coming out of the Republican Convention — about you, about your candidacy?
I'm prepared to be President of the United States, and I'll put my country first.

There's a theme that recurs in your books and your speeches, both about putting country first but also about honor. I wonder if you could define honor for us?
Read it in my books.

I've read your books.
No, I'm not going to define it.

But honor in politics?
I defined it in five books. Read my books.

In 2000, after the primaries, you went back to South Carolina to talk about what you felt was a mistake you had made on the Confederate flag. Is there anything so far about this campaign that you wish you could take back or you might revisit when it's over?
[Does not answer.]

Do I know you? [Says with a laugh.]
[Long pause.] I'm very happy with the way our campaign has been conducted, and I am very pleased and humbled to have the nomination of the Republican Party.

You do acknowledge there was a change in the campaign, in the way you had run the campaign?
[Shakes his head.]

e: the audio is amazing http://i.timeinc.net/time/2008/podcast/McCain_081908.mp3

Edit: Arghhh, late...

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0 said:
McCain's Prickly TIME Interview
Thursday, Aug. 28, 2008

For years, John McCain's marathon bull sessions with reporters were more than a means of delivering a message; they were the message. McCain proudly, flagrantly refused direction from handlers, rarely dodged tough questions and considered those who did wimps and frauds. The style told voters that he was unafraid, that he had nothing to hide and that what you see is what you get. "Anything you want to talk about," he promised reporters aboard the Straight Talk Express in Iowa back in March 2007. "One of the fundamental principles of the bus is that there is no such thing as a dumb question." When asked if he would keep the straight talk coming, McCain replied, "You think I could survive if I didn't? We'd never be forgiven ... I'd have to hire a food taster, somebody to start my car in the morning." Even after he won the GOP nomination, he demanded that his new campaign plane be configured to include a sofa up front so he could re-create the Straight Talk Express at 30,000 ft.

TIME Washington Bureau Chief James Carney and political correspondent Michael Scherer sit down with Sen. John McCain on the eve of the GOP convention
John McCain’s Very Bad Day

Sticking to the old formula seemed like a good idea. But with the press focused on Obama, McCain got attention only when he slipped up during one of his patented freewheeling encounters with reporters. And so in July, the campaign decided to clamp down on the candidate. Open-ended question time was reduced to almost nothing, and the famously unscripted McCain began heeding his talking points, even as his aides maintained he missed the old informality.

And so when TIME's James Carney and Michael Scherer were invited to the front of McCain's plane recently for an interview, they were ushered forward, past the curtain that now separates reporters from the candidate, past the sofa that was designed for his gabfests with the press and taken straight to the candidate's seat. McCain at first seemed happy enough to do the interview. But his mood quickly soured. The McCain on display in the 24-minute interview was prickly, at times abrasive, and determined not to stray off message. An excerpt:

What do you want voters to know coming out of the Republican Convention — about you, about your candidacy?

I'm prepared to be President of the United States, and I'll put my country first.

There's a theme that recurs in your books and your speeches, both about putting country first but also about honor. I wonder if you could define honor for us?

Read it in my books.

I've read your books.

No, I'm not going to define it.

But honor in politics?

I defined it in five books. Read my books.

[Your] campaign today is more disciplined, more traditional, more aggressive. From your point of view, why the change?

I will do as much as we possibly can do to provide as much access to the press as possible.

But beyond the press, sir, just in terms of ...

I think we're running a fine campaign, and this is where we are.

Do you miss the old way of doing it?

I don't know what you're talking about.

Really? Come on, Senator.

I'll provide as much access as possible ...

In 2000, after the primaries, you went back to South Carolina to talk about what you felt was a mistake you had made on the Confederate flag. Is there anything so far about this campaign that you wish you could take back or you might revisit when it's over?

[Does not answer.]

Do I know you? [Says with a laugh.]

[Long pause.] I'm very happy with the way our campaign has been conducted, and I am very pleased and humbled to have the nomination of the Republican Party.

You do acknowledge there was a change in the campaign, in the way you had run the campaign?

[Shakes his head.]

You don't acknowledge that? O.K., when your aides came to you and you decided, having been attacked by Barack Obama, to run some of those ads, was there a debate?

The campaign responded as planned.

Jumping around a bit: in your books, you've talked about what it was like to go through the Keating Five experience, and you've been quoted as saying it was one of the worst experiences of your life. Someone else quoted you as saying it was even worse than being a POW ...

That's another one of those statements made 17 or 18 years ago which was out of the context of the conversation I was having. Of course the worst, the toughest experience of my life was being imprisoned, so people can pluck phrases from 17 or 18 years ago ...

I wasn't suggesting it as a negative thing. I was just saying that ...

I'm just suggesting it was taken out of context. I understand how comments are taken out of context from time to time. But obviously, the toughest time of my life, physically and [in] every other way, would be the time that I almost died in prison camp. And I think most Americans understand that.

How different are you from President Bush? Are you in step with your party? Are you independent from your party?

My record shows that I have put my country first and I follow the philosophy and traditions of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan. Sometimes that is not in keeping with the present Administration or my colleagues, but I've always put my country first, whether it's saying I didn't support the decision to go to Lebanon or my fighting against the corruption in Washington or out-of-control pork-barrel spending, which has led to members of Congress residing in federal prison. So I've always stood up for a set of principles and a philosophy that I think have been pretty consistent over the years.

Your tougher line on Russia, which predated [the Russian invasion of Georgia], now to many looks prescient. Others say it's indicative of a belligerent approach to foreign policy that would perhaps further exacerbate the tensions being created with our allies and others around the world under the Bush Administration. How do you respond to that critique?

Well, it reminds me of some of the arguments we went through when Ronald Reagan became President of the United States. I think Russian behavior has been very clear, and I've pointed it out for quite a period of time, and the chronicle of their actions has been well known since President [Vladimir] Putin came to power, and I believe that it's very important that Russia behave in a manner befitting a very strong nation. They're not doing so at this time, so therefore I will criticize and in some cases — in the case of the aggression against Georgia — condemn them.

You were a very enthusiastic supporter of the invasion of Iraq and, in the early stages, of the Bush Administration's handling of the war. Are those judgments you'd like to revisit?

Well, my record is clear. I believe that the world is better off without Saddam Hussein. I believe it's clear that he had every intention to acquire and use weapons of mass destruction. I can only imagine what Saddam Hussein would be doing with the wealth he would acquire with oil at $110 and $120 a barrel. I was one of the first to point out the failure of strategy in Iraq under [former Defense Secretary Donald] Rumsfeld. I was criticized for being disloyal to the Republicans and the President. I was the first to say I would lose a campaign rather than lose a war. I supported the surge. No observer over the last two years would say the surge hasn't succeeded. I believe we did the right thing.

A lot of people know about your service from your books, but most people don't know that you have two sons currently in the military. Can you describe what it means to have Jack and Jimmy in uniform?

We don't discuss our sons.
Jesus, this guy is practically begging McCain to come out and play and he just won't. He is one cranky motherfucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom