• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHOTOS: Barack today in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

2008_08_24t140704_364x450_us_usa_politics.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama talks to a staff member in the aisle of his campaign plane in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

capt.05f2bca0047f4071a6b8ed60bb272509.obama_2008_wiab112.jpg

capt.fe93f5fdde9d49718769831bf24ebc5f.obama_2008_wiab109.jpg

r1512708021.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., hugs associate pastor Jennifer Elmquist at the First Lutheran Church after attending a service in Eau Claire, Wis.

capt.feb84f1ba46c45c99b2d40bd010d9a2d.obama_2008_wiab110.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., waves as he leaves the First Lutheran Church after attending a service in Eau Claire, Wis., Sunday, Aug. 24, 2008

capt.322bc0ec065849169b73cd905323e2f8.obama_2008_wiak108.jpg

capt.ab0a59175adb46e59ac2cef42b752f64.obama_2008_wiak104.jpg

capt.58700d4309db4a7ba3cf4be72eefa8cf.obama_2008_wiak105.jpg

capt.17316cc38a464e918cc089cb7c4b39fa.obama_2008_wiab114.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks to a crowd at a barbeque at the Rod and Gun Park in Eau Claire, Wis., Sunday

capt.9633588a229e40e9b0d68dccc113a0ec.obama_2008_cojc103.jpg

capt.c558be71b19d4cdebe5c87cdeda243cf.obama_2008_cojc101.jpg

capt.a4006be479c141248c64ee81d88d76f3.obama_2008_cojc102.jpg

Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., second from right, hugs Gov. Bill Ritter, D-Colo., with her daughters Malia, 10, left, and Sasha, 7, after landing in Denver, Sunday.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
APF said:
Of course, I could imagine multiple scenarios where that might occur:

For example, if Obama is discussed 1000 times in some unspecified time period, and 30% of those stories or comments are negative, while McCain is discussed 100 times in that same time period, and 75% of those stories / comments are negative, then numerically speaking Obama did receive more negative coverage.

No every example I'm talking about is in % not overall numerics.

Hey how much political news do you actually watch on cable tv? 1-3 hours and week, 4-8 hours a week, or 8+ hours a week?

I'm curious because it doesn't seem like you truly have an understanding on what's going on as far as media narratives go.

Michelle Obama Rings a Welcome to Biden's Wife -- Jill Biden: "We have chemistry"

When Sen. Barack Obama told wife Michelle that he'd decided on a vice presidential candidate earlier this week, she gave him snaps – literally.

obama_biden320.jpg

Michelle Obama and Jill Biden Photo

"I've stayed out of this process ... but when he told me his choice I said, 'That's the right choice.' I was like, 'Good!' " she told PEOPLE as she snapped her fingers in approval after her husband's announcement Saturday that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware would be his running mate.

That morning Michelle Obama, 44 – sporting a tiny peace-sign pave diamond necklace – showed the same enthusiasm as she called Biden's wife, Jill, to welcome her to the campaign trail. "I just wanted to tell her we're excited and, also, anything you see that we need to be doing or should be doing, speak up – don't hesitate, because we want to get this right."

At the rally in Springfield, Ill., the two women finally had a chance to hug and get to know each other a little better – a moment that had seemed to elude them during the Democratic primaries. During the succession of debates, Obama said they hadn't had the time to get together socially.

"It's always been at debates," said Jill Biden, 57. "It's always sort of, 'Hello, how are you? How much more of these do we have to do?' But Michelle and I spent some time together this morning and we're really looking forward to being together."

Hugging her much taller counterpart, who wore sparkly silver ballet flats to Biden's strappy heels, Biden smiled. "If you think those guys have chemistry, I think we have chemistry."

Now this week's Democratic National Convention will be a family affair, as the Obamas' daughters Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, will be joined by the Bidens' five grandchildren, ages 2 to 14.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20220961,00.html

APF

mckmas8808 said:
No every example I'm talking about is in % not overall numerics.

Which would give you an imbalanced perspective. Anyway, post your studies, specifically the ones relating to cable news coverage throughout the campaigns, since this is what we're discussing. I probably have the same study Mandark's thinking of, for the most recent overall analysis of primary coverage. I'm interested in seeing where you're pulling this stuff out of.

kevm3

I can sit around and kick all kind of fancy rhetoric, but to get straight to the point, I have a good feeling about Obama and Biden if they get in office.

APF said:
Very early on, MSNBC was positive towards basically every candidate (see: that Harvard study I kept linking), with Obama leading positive coverage. While I'm willing to entertain the idea that it's since balanced its coverage of Obama now that he's the nominee, the actual claim that I was countering was that he's received more negative coverage on that channel than every other candidate combined. That claim--mckmas8808's claim--is a lie. He was the most positively-covered candidate, especially when you consider how utterly awful (negative) the coverage of John McCain was, even on Fox News (where during the early primaries, he was covered less positively than either Clinton or Obama)

You don't know what the hell your talking about.

The Reverend Wright story ALONE was more negative than all of the negative McCain stories COMBINED!!! They were playing video's of Wright for hours straight for a span of 2 months total.

Joe Scarborough has a show on 5 days a week where he trashes Obama for damn near 4 hours straight!!!

"Bitter-Gate" was another major story that ran for about a month.

"He has a problem with the white middle class" has been a constant story since the beginning of the primaries.

"Hillary supporters are angry" has been a top story since June & has been the #1 story all day today.

"Michelle Obama is proud of her country for the 1st time" is mentioned anytime her name comes up.

"Is he a muslim?" pops up damn near every few days.

etc,etc,etc....

I honestly only know of 2 major negative stories that involved McCain:

The New York Times story about a possible affair.
AND
For about a week Rush/Hannity/Coulter etc.., were not happy that he was a top nominee.

Deus Ex Machina said:
How sweet! I love, love, love that last one.

Makes me miss my grandpa. I love that Joe is such a family man.

Wow... awesome photos... but I am surprised you are so satisfied with Biden. Good to hear!

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Love the photo updates Deus, keep em comin when you can!

Can't fricken wait for the conventiony goodness to start, baby!

mckmas8808

APF said:
Which would give you an imbalanced perspective. Anyway, post your studies, specifically the ones relating to cable news coverage throughout the campaigns, since this is what we're discussing. I probably have the same study Mandark's thinking of, for the most recent overall analysis of primary coverage. I'm interested in seeing where you're pulling this stuff out of.

I showed you one of them. Now again keep in mind I'm talking about post Rev. Wright.
This is one chart that shows the coverage Pre-Rev. Wright.

image007.png

Quick notes:

- As you can see MSNBC was more positive to all 3 candidates pre-Wright.
- FoxNews was easier on Obama and harder and Clinton pre-Wright. (This was when people though Hillary could still win the NOM NOM too).

- CNN was the median between the 3.
- FoxNews was hardcore on McCain because they steadily questioned if he was still conservative enough.

Karma Kramer said:
Wow... awesome photos... but I am surprised you are so satisfied with Biden. Good to hear!
He has a compelling life story. I admitted before I did not know the man, but now that I do ..We are so lucky to have him!

APF

theviolenthero said:
You don't know what the hell your talking about.
Your post is a good example of why anecdotal evidence by biased viewers is not a good objective measure of what actually happens in reality. As a biased viewer, you feel positive stories about Obama are neutral, while neutral stories about his opposition are positive. Because you don't want to hear them, or because you just disagree with them, you weigh negative stories about Obama more strongly, and positive stories about his opposition more strongly. As a biased viewer not vested in subduing your own preferences, and instead viewing the news as an involved participant, your perspective is less valuable than the studies we are discussing.

mckmas8808 : THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID A COUPLE OF POSTS AGO

Keylime

GhaleonEB said:
Obama's wingspan is REDONKULUS! :lol

...and I think it's time for Obama to just whip out the ad that is just 30 seconds of the following text:

The Commericial Text said:
John McCain cheated on his first wife with his current wife, Cindy, who was addicted to the narcotics that she stole from the medical charity that she ran.

I'm RubxQub, and I approve this message.

APF said:
Your post is a good example of why anecdotal evidence by biased viewers is not a good objective measure of what actually happens in reality. As a biased viewer, you feel positive stories about Obama are neutral, while neutral stories about his opposition are positive. Because you don't want to hear them, or because you just disagree with them, you weigh negative stories about Obama more strongly, and positive stories about his opposition more strongly. As a biased viewer not vested in subduing your own preferences, and instead viewing the news as an involved participant, your perspective is less valuable than the studies we are discussing.

While what you say rings very true to me, and the positive / negative coverage is probably what you say it is, you MUST admit that more attention has been given to any changes in Obama's philosophy (having a Washingtonian VP vs. getting AWAY from washington politics) than any changes in Mccain's (Not running negative ads vs. a full out assault that completely rips apart anything he has ever said). I'm trying to be as independent as I tend to vote here ,but I think Mccain's changes have been 1.5-2.5x as drastic as Obama's and yet have received less coverage.

Keylime

Amir0x said:
ho ho holy fuck, that's a darkly negative commercial. That shit is really goddamn personal.
Assuming it's only running in Texas, I'm not worried. If it's going anywhere else...then what the fuckidy shit.

Amir0x

Banned
RubxQub said:
Assuming it's only running in Texas, I'm not worried. If it's going anywhere else...then what the fuckidy shit.

Now I am not an expert on political commercials, and only recall ones from the last two decades, but even by political commercial standards that is some harsh shit. I definitely think it's a ranker!

mckmas8808

APF said:

That first part of your post wasn't for me was it? What were you trying to say a couple post ago?

Oh and that new republican commerical is dumb as fuck. POW us to death why don't you.

APF

TheKingsCrown said:
While what you say rings very true to me, and the positive / negative coverage is probably what you say it is, you MUST admit that more attention has been given to any changes in Obama's philosophy (having a Washingtonian VP vs. getting AWAY from washington politics) than any changes in Mccain's (Not running negative ads vs. a full out assault that completely rips apart anything he has ever said). I'm trying to be as independent as I tend to vote here ,but I think Mccain's changes have been 1.5-2.5x as drastic as Obama's and yet have received less coverage.
I think what I said a few posts back is probably what's going on: Obama gets so much more coverage that by the numbers a lot of time is spent on negatives, potentially more than with McCain. But at the same time, the positive coverage is just overwhelming. Even if you were to imagine a place where coverage was 50/50 postive/negative for both candidates, if Obama gets more coverage he gets both more positive and negative coverage. That's still a bias however, and if we're talking about reality, where he doesn't get an even 50/50, that will probably play out in his favor on balance. Of course, not talking about McCain as much has its own positives and negatives...

Keylime

Amir0x said:
Now I am not an expert on political commercials, and only recall ones from the last two decades, but even by political commercial standards that is some harsh shit. I definitely think it's a ranker!
527's are crazy shit. Shit like this is exactly what I stand behind Obama's decision to fuck public financing. He needs all the money he can get to legitly fight this nonsense.

...AND MCCAIN WAS A POW?! WHY DIDN'T HE SAY SO SOONER?!

Keylime

The ad also fails to mention that the person pictured is Obama's half-brother (he's probably got some that he doesn't even know about due to his awesome father), who is living in Kenya...and is happy with his current living situation.

Small details... I know.

mckmas8808

APF said:
I think what I said a few posts back is probably what's going on: Obama gets so much more coverage that by the numbers a lot of time is spent on negatives, potentially more than with McCain. But at the same time, the positive coverage is just overwhelming. Even if you were to imagine a place where coverage was 50/50 postive/negative for both candidates, if Obama gets more coverage he gets both more positive and negative coverage. That's still a bias however, and if we're talking about reality, where he doesn't get an even 50/50, that will probably play out in his favor on balance. Of course, not talking about McCain as much has its own positives and negatives...

So who do you think is in a better situation? Obama getting 5 times more coverage with you "supposed" 50/50 coverage or McCain getting less coverage with 60/40 coverage with more of it leaning negative?

mckmas8808

APF

mckmas8808 said:
Again that article (while true) doesn't say how much of Obama's coverage is negative and how much is positive. So in a sense it only tells us half the truth.
Perhaps, but according to your study, Print news generally followed the trend of media outlets overall, which gave Obama, on balance, more positive coverage than negative, and McCain, on balance, more negative coverage than positive.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
RubxQub said:
527's are crazy shit. Shit like this is exactly what I stand behind Obama's decision to fuck public financing. He needs all the money he can get to legitly fight this nonsense.

...AND MCCAIN WAS A POW?! WHY DIDN'T HE SAY SO SOONER?!

Of course it was the right decision. We all knew it was going to come.

JayDubya

Banned
RubxQub said:

McCain wouldn't even need to bother paying for ads in Texas, let alone making one exclusive.

mckmas8808

To do this, the study examined the story-line in each story, the event it was about. If stories about primary and caucus results are eliminated, what we see is that no clear narrative has emerged. The story-line or event that has received the most coverage so far is Obama’s relationship with Rev. Jeremiah Wright, which accounted for 6% of all stories and dwarfed all of the other episodes or storyline of the campaign that didn’t have to do with the horse race itself.

The next biggest story-line is what will happen with superdelegates, which accounted for less than 2% of the stories studied. And that has been followed by Obama’s comments about working-class Americans being bitter about their plight (2% of stories).

Thus two of the biggest stories of the year have been problems frustrating the Obama camp. This is a much larger percentage of the coverage than anything frustrating either McCain’s or Clinton’s messages.

Contrary to the idea that Obama’s coverage has been entirely positive, in other words, two of the three biggest story-lines of the year have been negative for him. Perhaps more important is the fact that these stories emerged late in the primary season and the Wright story in particular may not have run its course.

http://journalism.org/node/11276

image009.png

Again we still hear about Wright (not nearly as much though). The point is most evidence points in the direction that Obama gets hit with the most negative coverage than Hillary did and McCain.

APF

I don't follow your point: even though the biggest story of the campaign was re: something Obama didn't want to discuss, he still got extremely positive coverage overall, which means that if this one story didn't occur he'd get 100% positive coverage rather than 70%? And this points to Obama getting more negative coverage than anyone else even though you just showed he didn't--that McCain did?

APF said:
I don't follow your point: even though the biggest story of the campaign was re: something Obama didn't want to discuss, he still got extremely positive coverage overall, which means that if this one story didn't occur he'd get 100% positive coverage rather than 70%? And this points to Obama getting more negative coverage than anyone else even though you just showed he didn't--that McCain did?

.. Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Give it up mck, there's no hope for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom