• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
sp0rsk said:
That award still belongs to this man:

romney.jpg

I wonder if someone replaced his regular speech on the teleprompter with the Independence Day speech....would folks realize it's not the movie?

Tamanon

Banned
ralexand said:
I do hope that ad gets more coverage to demonstrate what shit head those guys are.

I hope it gets no coverage. The only reason it was even created was to get on the news. Political advertising has taken a big turn with the advent of the 24/7 news networks. No longer do you need to actually buy ads to get the message out, just release the ad to the networks and it'll be pontificated on.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Tamanon said:
I hope it gets no coverage. The only reason it was even created was to get on the news. Political advertising has taken a big turn with the advent of the 24/7 news networks. No longer do you need to actually buy ads to get the message out, just release the ad to the networks and it'll be pontificated on.
Yeah I've noticed this the past number of months, although I'm sure it's nothing new. Free airtime for political commercials. Apparently they're news-worthy. Our media is pathetic. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
demon said:
Yeah I've noticed this the past number of months, although I'm sure it's nothing new.
It isn't. Remember the little girl pulling daisy petals before a nuclear countdown? That only aired ONCE.

APF

Byakuya769 said:
.. Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Give it up mck, there's no hope for this one.
? as that quote says, the Wright story only demonstrates that coverage of Obama has not been entirely positive, not that media coverage of him has not been overall positive. There's a difference between the actual numbers on tone, and the numbers on big stories have been "frustrating" for Obama (likely because 1. he'd gotten enormously positive coverage, on balance, up to that point; 2. because it had two "legs;" 3. Obama is a big story who gets more coverage overall). This does not even go into whether or not all coverage of Obama that also discussed Wright was negative--for example, Obama's speech on race, for which the Wright comments were a catalyst, was a positive and resonated positively with voters.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
APF said:
? as that quote says, the Wright story only demonstrates that coverage of Obama has not been entirely positive, not that media coverage of him has not been overall positive. There's a difference between the actual numbers on tone, and the numbers on big stories have been "frustrating" for Obama (likely because 1. he'd gotten enormously positive coverage, on balance, up to that point; 2. because it had two "legs;" 3. Obama is a big story who gets more coverage overall). This does not even go into whether or not all coverage of Obama that also discussed Wright was negative--for example, Obama's speech on race, for which the Wright comments were a catalyst, was a positive and resonated positively with voters.

A decent objective analysis would also have to consider the content and the merit it has

the electoral college projections are still in the democrats favor and that's all that matters, i guess. and its too early to look at polls blah blah ect

what i am worried about is the 9/11 anniversary is coming up. and that with a wildcard VP announcement - namely a woman candidate - could really fuck things up.

Krowley

the buzz in the news leading into this convention is starting to make me think it will be a mixed bag for Obama. There is going to be a lot of drama involving the Clintons... Even if everybody behaves, the media will scrutinize every tiny thing and build mountains out of molehills. I honestly think the Clinton's would like to see him lose. If they can find any way to undermine him without being too upfront about it, they'll probably do it.

laserbeam

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
the electoral college projections are still in the democrats favor and that's all that matters, i guess. and its too early to look at polls blah blah ect

what i am worried about is the 9/11 anniversary is coming up. and that with a wildcard VP announcement - namely a woman candidate - could really fuck things up.

I think the only worrying trend is Obama seems to be losing ground in some of the battleground states where he had a 6 point lead or so. Colorado and New mexico at the moment make or break the Election for both if the trends continue. Of course Romney could put Michigan into play and that would be a whole other story.

Krowley said:
the buzz in the news leading into this convention is starting to make me think it will be a mixed bag for Obama. There is going to be a lot of drama involving the Clintons... Even if everybody behaves, the media will scrutinize every tiny thing and build mountains out of molehills. I honestly think the Clinton's would like to see him lose. If they can find any way to undermine him without being too upfront about it, they'll probably do it.

I think this Convention will be a mixed bag. We already have that Recreate 68 group marching days ahead trying to push for riots during the convention etc and they are a Democrat Group.

The people Hillary has to "keep the peace" on the convetion floor have said they were not told to keep the peace and make sure people behave as the press reports.

And I totally agree with you on the fact the Clintons are praying for an Obama loss. Hillary cant afford to be a total bitch and sabotage it for obvious reasons but she can let others do it. She wants to run again in 2012 no doubt and if she causes trouble she can kiss her ass goodbye in the democrat party.

GhaleonEB

There are protesters and hecklers at every national convention, ever. Same thing in 2004. They'll be at the GOP convention next week as well. Nothing new there.

The media is playing it up a bit because of the Clinton drama. Got a narrative to feed. It's one hungry motherfucker.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
APF said:
I don't follow your point: even though the biggest story of the campaign was re: something Obama didn't want to discuss, he still got extremely positive coverage overall, which means that if this one story didn't occur he'd get 100% positive coverage rather than 70%? And this points to Obama getting more negative coverage than anyone else even though you just showed he didn't--that McCain did?

Do you actually have a point in all your convoluted posts? Are we back to the 'the media drools over Obama' meme again, even when they mercilessly exploit every gaffe, etc he has made while making nothing out of McCain's daily ridiculous statements? Come on APF, you know this is beyond silly. If you wanted to do something useful, you would compare the amount of coverage that every candidate got for each gaffe they've made, and the amount of coverage relative to the size of the gaffe, rather than make some sort of conclusion over the *amount* of coverage each candidate is getting.

GhaleonEB said:
There are protesters and hecklers at every national convention, ever. Same thing in 2004. They'll be at the GOP convention next week as well. Nothing new there.

The media is playing it up a bit because of the Clinton drama. Got a narrative to feed. It's one hungry motherfucker.

Ron Paul is going to cause some major riots.

I can't wait.

APF said:
Perhaps, but according to your study, Print news generally followed the trend of media outlets overall, which gave Obama, on balance, more positive coverage than negative, and McCain, on balance, more negative coverage than positive.
But, since you're supposing Obama got more overall coverage, there were more negative stories about him than McCain in total, yes?

Dartastic

GhaleonEB said:

I'm still scared. I've stopped following these PoliGAF threads (as informative as they are) as politics and I have a very love/hate relationship, but the fact that Obama and McCain are as close in the polls as they are despite the circumstances is very disconcerting.

P.S. Ghaleon, I left Oregon for a job in CA, and it saddens me. Please eat some Burgerville for me. That goes for you too, Reilo.

GhaleonEB

Dartastic said:
I'm still scared. I've stopped following these PoliGAF threads (as informative as they are) as politics and I have a very love/hate relationship, but the fact that Obama and McCain are as close in the polls as they are despite the circumstances is very disconcerting.

P.S. Ghaleon, I left Oregon for a job in CA, and it saddens me. Please eat some Burgerville for me. That goes for you too, Reilo.
Will do.

And as for the polls: it's gonna be okay.

I'm going to have to start pushing my friends to vote Obama. How some of them can go for McCain baffles me. Reeks of ignorance.

*starts compiling things*

Dartastic

FlightOfHeaven said:
I'm going to have to start pushing my friends to vote Obama. How some of them can go for McCain baffles me. Reeks of ignorance.

Same. I have a friend from grade school who found me on Facebook, and he is very obviously a McCain supporter. I almost didn't add him. My biggest concern is actually getting my friends to vote, as I'm only 23 and the majority of my friends are around the same age. That really is a HUGE problem. Why they're so unconcerned with politics baffles me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dartastic said:

Can't remember the last time I had a Burverville burger... :x

GOP opens 'war room' in Denver
GOP opens 'war room' at Democratic convention
By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer Sun Aug 24, 9:48 PM ET

DENVER - They're grossly outnumbered by a swarm of Democrats, but national Republicans have set up shop in Denver, hoping to thrust themselves into the media's coverage of the Democratic convention.

While the spotlight naturally is focused on Barack Obama, national Republicans have set up an effort to grab media coverage, or at least offer some balance to the Democrats' show.

The GOP effort includes a "war room" and media center less than a mile from the convention hall and making top Republicans such as Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney available for press conferences and satellite interviews to television stations across the country, especially in swing states.

There's a new GOP web site (http://www.notready08.com) with videos and ads, along with plans for rapid responses to attacks on GOP nominee-to-be John McCain and to speeches from the Democrats.

A staff of two dozen has set up shop in temporary workspace up the road from the Pepsi Center and thousands of journalists. Security at the war room is tight to avoid problems with Democratic protesters.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_loyal_opposition

War on Drugs, War on Terror . . . War on Democrats?

Is this typical? Don't the parties usually lay low during the other side's convention?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

mj1108

FlightOfHeaven said:

You might want to ask them why they're supporting McCain -- and post it here.

Hootie

Dartastic said:
Same. I have a friend from grade school who found me on Facebook, and he is very obviously a McCain supporter. I almost didn't add him. My biggest concern is actually getting my friends to vote, as I'm only 23 and the majority of my friends are around the same age. That really is a HUGE problem. Why they're so unconcerned with politics baffles me.

Your friends are in their early 20's and you're wondering why they're unconcerned with politics? :lol

I believe the answer is much simpler than you're making it out to be.

I might have to put on the blinders for a while. The sleaziness of the constant smearing, name calling, and all around reactionary bullshit and straight up lies depresses me. I'm getting too disgusted with the entire process for my own good, but I keep watching out of some mix of anger and morbid fascination. It doesn't even have to do with the specific candidates anymore, I'm just burnt on the never-ending mounds of bullshit that just keep piling up and growing and growing. There are so fucking few voices of levity out there that make me feel like a sane regular person. I mean, shouldn't anyone who's sane be tearing their hair out at the bald faced absurdity of all this ? It's astounding that we've gotten to the point as a country where the vitriolic atmospshere of this election is expected and passes for normal.

... Who am I kidding, I will probably be watching the conventions like a hawk, stressing myself out and mourning the state of the world. :(

laserbeam

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I might have to put on the blinders for a while. The sleaziness of the constant smearing, name calling, and all around reactionary bullshit and straight up lies depresses me. I'm getting too disgusted with the entire process for my own good, but I keep watching out of some mix of anger and morbid fascination. It doesn't even have to do with the specific candidates anymore, I'm just burnt on the never-ending mounds of bullshit that just keep piling up and growing and growing. There are so fucking few voices of levity out there that make me feel like a sane regular person. I mean, shouldn't anyone who's sane be tearing their hair out at the bald faced absurdity of all this ? It's astounding that we've gotten to the point as a country where the vitriolic atmospshere of this election is expected and passes for normal.

... Who am I kidding, I will probably be watching the conventions like a hawk, stressing myself out and mourning the state of the world. :(

Dirty elections have happened since the 2nd election in ths country. Was an article the other day talking about the Adams/Jefferson Election and how it went sour real fast and pretty much set the tone for the future. Even Martha Washington got involved attacking Jefferson

Always wondered how things go afterwards. McCain and Biden are good friends but they are gonna be working to tear each other a new asshole to get elected.

Hootie

GrotesqueBeauty said:

You and me both, buddy. It's quite sad watching the US political system in the absolutely shitty state it is currently in. I'm sure the Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves facepalming right now. Though I've nearly had enough of all the crap that's been flying around from both campaigns (mainly McCains), I just can't stop watching it all unfold. There's a part of me that's saying "Stop you idiot, you're wasting your time. America is stupid and that's not going to change for a long time.", but there's also another, tiny part of me saying, "Hey, this shit is important. This election could very well take us out of the shit hole Bush has put us in and just maybe we can regain some of the respect we use to have."

I've always had this naive idealistic view of what US politics used to be like back in the old days. Times when the majority of statesmen WEREN'T corrupt beyond recognition. Whether or not there ever existed a time like that, I do know that it will never be like that again, ever. Money and power is a dangerous thing in politics.
Eh...I don't know what to think anymore. I guess it's fun reading through this thread on GAF daily for some laughs and whatnot but after this election I doubt I'll ever do this again. :lol

Hootie

eclipze said:
I'm really fuckin pissed I had to work today. I can't believe i missed a chance to see Obama in my hometown.

You're lucky he even came close to where you live. I'm in Rhode Island so I won't be expecting him to be campaigning over here anytime soon. :lol (though I believe he did make a stop here during the primary season, but obviously RI will go democrat in the general election yet again so now we mean nothing to him)

We may be a small state but we are the coolest! We even have the longest name of any state! That means somethin' ya know!

EDIT: I was browsing Wikipedia and I happened to find this gem in Lieberman's page: :lol
c55zk.jpg

Krowley

This election is going to be one of the most negative of all time, mostly because of circumstances.

The mcCain campaign could make positive policy speeches every day until the end of the election, and the media wouldn't even cover it. The Obama campaign sucks all the oxygen out of free media because he's always going to be the top story. Who cares what McCain has to say? Certainly not anybody in the news media. McCain is old news, Obama is the new hotness...

The only way the McCain campaign can make any headway is to get clever with their ads and make them focused on Obama. Since he's going to be at the top of the news anyway, they might as well make sure that news is as negative as possible.

Every day they keep peppering away with ads, and the media covers them, usually in a neutral way (or even in a pro-Obama way), but it helps get the ads seen, and then when the polls start to drop, Obama has to respond, which keeps the attacks in the news. They've basically taken Obama's media celebrity and turned it against him by using the media as an unwitting attack dog. This is an exaggerated version of what Hilary did towards the end of the primary's.

The McCain campaign is proving much more astute and clever than I would have expected, and I'm fairly impressed. The current team is much more effective than what we saw during the republican primary's. I imagine they're probably much better financed now.

Clevinger

It's not really clever at all when you start using campaign tactics that kicked the shit out of you eight years ago. It is sad, though.

Krowley

Clevinger said:
It's not really clever at all when you start using campaign tactics that kicked the shit out of you eight years ago. It is sad, though.

I actually think this is MUCH more aggressive than anything Karl Rove did in either campaign.

Rove usually let other groups do the harshest negative stuff, while Bush tried to play innocent. He was more sly about it. The McCain campaign is unapologetic about it. They come right up in your face and just release a barrage of negative ads about every conceivable issue, day after day after day. Constant aggression.

Krowley said:
I actually think this is MUCH more aggressive than anything Karl Rove did in either campaign.

Rove usually let other groups do the negativity thing, while Bush tried to play innocent. He was more sly about it. The McCain campaign is unapologetic about it. They come right up in your face and just release a barrage of negative ads about every conceivable issue, day after day after day. Constant aggression.

Its not clever at all... and you will see why when Obama starts hitting back with the negative ads.

Just something like a quote of McCain saying he would never overturn Roe vs Wade... is going to go a long way.

Obama's camp is just letting McCain continue increasing with fire and when it reaches the boiling point... its all over for them.

Clevinger

Yeah, I don't think that's clever. It's like a monkey throwing every piece of shit at its enemy it can find, except this monkey also knows how to write "POW" in shit as well, an ability that people think is cute and endearing. The Bush/Rove stuff was actually clever.

By the way, does anyone know if McCain's personal approval rating is sinking like Clinton's did after her negative assault?

David Schuster props. Came at it with Canard

Morning Joe would be complete shit without him so far this morning and Pat hasn't shown up yet. Willie is worthless as usual. Barnicle is acting like one on the set. Mika is Pikachu minus the substance.

Joe was BS'ing about people not knowing if Barack is experienced and what not. Schuster highlights that GWB had jack shit on his Gov resume and the Gov of TX part of it is semi fraud. Joe still tries to prop him up with TX is the 3rd largest state. THEN HE LISTS GHWB experience like it transfers to son but I guess he caught on to the retardity while saying it and adds W was probably drinking beer and playing baseball during it.

And then David asks 'What are people afraid of is he gonna invade the wrong country and start a war based on lies?'

Retro FUCKTARDINESS from Pat @ RNC in 1992 as MSNBC goes to break. Plenty of it in the present during the segment. Lame black guy Rev was back on. Not Joe Watkins but I almost prefer his pure hack act to him.

I might shoot myself before we can make it to non Main Shit-Stream Media.
Maron V Seder 3pm ET
The Young Turks

Usually listen to Stephanie Miller 9am ET only after the podcast is up around Noon-ish.

Azrael

Tamanon said:

I don't know if I would mind the ad getting some traction. It's easily disputable. Obama's half-brother has an open invitation to come to America, but he's happy with his life in Kenya. And it makes personal attacks against McCain's family fair game. If the Republicans really want to go there, then Obama has a free pass to bring up McCain's millionaire heiress wife stealing drugs from poor old people at the nursing home to feed her drug habit.

I wonder how the McCains' stepchild's Bangladeshi relatives are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom