• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woeds

Mitchell: Is McCain overusing the POW card? He's using it in response to every single bit of criticism
McCain spokesperson: Well, McCain has a great character because he was a POW, he's got a great record. Obama does not.
Mitchell: ok

I was actually thinking that Mitchell was acting like a journalist......*sigh*

Clevinger

PrivateWHudson said:
Are there any facts behind this? It makes McCain sound weak and reactionary. I really hope McCain has picked someone well in advance of Obama's announcement who he thinks will be a good VP, and not someone who is there for the sole purpose of winning the election.

Considering how just about everything he's done or said recently (or, rather, since he's become the nominee) has been reactionary and for the sole purpose of winning the election, I don't see how his VP pick will be any different.

APF

TNR said:
Best of the Press
A panel of experts selects the finest press coverage of campaign '08 (so far).

Almost everything we know about Barack and John and Hillary and Mitt we know because some caffeinated scribbler with a notepad and a deadline told us about it. He or she checked into chain motels in cities like Des Moines, Hanover, and Corpus Christi to dispatch to the voting masses the narratives that would shape our understandings of the candidates--injecting images directly into our political consciousnesses, images that will resonate in infamy: He strapped the family dog to the roof of his car! He thinks the swing voting bloc clings to their guns and religion! Her husband runs around with international billionaire lotharios!

Though the journalistic stakes continue to rise as the general election approaches, covering such an unprecedented primary season resulted in both new highs and new lows for political journalism. With the primaries officially ending this week as the two major parties nominate their contenders, TNR polled 12 of the nation's most influential political journalists on six different categories of primary coverage. The winners received the most votes in each category. (TNR writers were not eligible for the awards.) All of our judges' votes and comments are anonymous, but a list of their names and qualifications can be found at the end of the article.
Picks at link:
http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=d12c9371-d7dc-4a48-9285-37273e2d8d7f

laserbeam

Banned
Clevinger said:
Considering how just about everything he's done or said recently (or, rather, since he's become the nominee) has been reactionary and for the sole purpose of winning the election, I don't see how his VP pick will be any different.

If anything McCain waiting to make a choice for VP til afterwards was the smartest thing to do. I would hope Obama would have done the same thing if roles reversed.

pxleyes said:
Well that is because McCain has been running a campaign on reactionary tactics.

He had that luxury while Hillary and Barack were fighting it out. Picking a Veep is too big to be reactionary and there should be no excuses for it... that's why I'm curious if it's truth or speculation.

Great post/info mckmas8808. And those NC numbers are very, very interesting.
http://www.pollster.com/polls/nc/08-nc-pres-ge-mvo.php

Obama is down 3-4 points or so on average in NC, but of course these new RV are not being polled. They could tip this state and possbily more, but it comes down to turnout. Can Obama's team get all these people to stay interested in the race from now to November, and then get up and vote before/after work or school or whatever.

And just as important, is the Obama camp going to be sending lawyers and training election officials to the smallest of small African American and latino counties to ensure all the votes are cast and counted

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
syllogism said:
though I guess it makes sense with Karl Rove as the runner up
based less on his insight than on his former occupation and name recognition. that's an inspired choice.

2008 DNC Podium (Pics)

DNC1.jpg

DNC3.jpg

DNC4.jpg

DNC2.jpg

laserbeam said:
If anything McCain waiting to make a choice for VP til afterwards was the smartest thing to do. I would hope Obama would have done the same thing if roles reversed.

To announce his choice, and to spin it in his favor absolutely. But for a decision that could affect our country for the next eight years... that should have more than a weeks worth of thought put into it.

Maybe even picking one out of two or three top candidates depending on Obama's decision I could swallow, but to drastically affect the decision, thats just bad.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
mckmas, excellent post. That should be required reading for those who tend to get carried away by the daily shifts and shuffling of the polls.

Krowley

I think McCain is now looking at the VP debate as a serious hurdle. Nobody on his currently known shortlist, except for maybe Lieberman can stand with Biden and not be totally dominated to the point of embarrassment. Some people say Romney could hold his own, but I seriously doubt that, and I'm sure the McCain people know better.

Bill Kristol has an article out today where he's urging McCain to pick Lieberman. I would not be surprised if McCain picks a senator or former senator.. Lieberman would have the added benefit of being a huge grab for the center. If the Colin Powell rumors are true, that would even be a bigger move. It would be a clear signal of separation from the Bush Administration.

I would not be surprised at all if McCain does something shocking with his VP pick.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
pxleyes said:
the podium itself maybe, but not the set behind it.

Yeah, the neon yellow on the podium is awful, but the set behind it is amazing.

Ted Kennedy to show up at the convention!

PhoenixDark said:
Hell yea. She sorta looks like my grandma looked about 15 years ago

Freud.jpg

Holy crap the PUMA narrative is running strong on MSNBC. I can only imagine what CNN's like right now. I want to see the same amount of negativity during the Republican convention.

syllogism

APF said:
Who would you guys have picked?
I'm not going to pretend I've any idea what the field of possible candidates is, Ben's commentary just isn't very insightful or often even relevant. He does occasionally write good articles and no doubt his blog is getting a lot of traffic, especially via drudge.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Krowley said:
Bill Kristol has an article out today where he's urging McCain to pick Lieberman. I would not be surprised if McCain picks a senator or former senator.. Lieberman would have the added benefit of being a huge grab for the center. If the Colin Powell rumors are true, that would even be a bigger move. It would be a clear signal of separation from the Bush Administration.

Picking Lieberman is a little like taking a pile of poop and shoving it deep down your pockets: you wonder why you did it and now everyone wants no part of you.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
That setup is bonkers :lol

I love it

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
bob_arctor said:
Picking Lieberman is a little like taking a pile of poop and shoving it deep down your pockets: you wonder why you did it and now everyone wants no part of you.

Neither side trusts Lieberman.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not only has Colin Powell not endorsed anyone, but he also wouldn't accept the nomination for VP. What people also forget is that Powell is 71 years old.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'd be shocked if Powell endorses anyone at this stage. he seems content to stay on the sideline and refrain from partisan bickering.

So I'm assuming that throughout the Democratic convention, all the most important speeches are going to take place during the evening/night, right?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
I agree with the poster that said they need to get Clinton in some ads supporting Obama. Hell they should have an ad with Biden, Bill Clinton and Hillary talking about Obama in glowing terms.

Keylime

Dax01 said:
So I'm assuming that throughout the Democratic convention, all the most important speeches are going to take place during the evening/night, right?
Except for Barack's which will be at noon on Thursday.

jumper

No matter how many new registered voters there are and offices he's setting up, the fact is right now the polls still show them neck and neck, which I think is pretty weak and disappointing on Obama's part. I hope Obama wins, and after he got the nom I figured he'd be a shoe-in, but at this point I'm not so sure. I wouldn't underestimate the Republican machine, it's not like they'll never switch tactics or anything like that ("Hey people - free $10 gas card when you register as Republican!"). I know Kerry and Bush were exchanging leads around this time, but given how much more charisma Obama has over a candidate like Kerry I figured he'd have a real lead. And about this VP pick, regardless of Biden's credentials it has received mixed reactions, which I think has been noticed by all.

Personally, I was never a big fan of Obama, even if he is the best option. My problem is that he tries to posture as a non-politician, when he's full of BS like all politicians. A couple of things bother me especially.

For one, his decision to turn down public financing. His reason as I understand is that the campaing finance system is broken, and he needs to in order to effectively fight the Republicans and their lobbyist machine. And he comes off as a good guy for not taking taxpayer dollars. But I don't buy that his reason is genuine - he should've turned it down from the start if he truly felt that way, instead of waiting to see how much he stood to gain from his own contributors. Mostly, it's bothersome as it sets a bad precedent for future candidates with lots of money to just buy their way into the white house. Anyone else feel this way? Am I way wrong about this?

I'm also botherd by his belief that we can just pull out of Iraq within 16 months. How'd he come up with that number? I want us to be out of there as much as the next guy, but anyone who understands the situation there knows it'd be a disaster to pull out now, and that its unknown when we'll be able to safely pull out (without serious consequences). When he says stuff like that, I'm sure it placates the masses, but to me it sounds irresponsible and dumb. I know Bush and Condi have set plans in motion for a pull-out, but we all know how their plans turn out.

I'm not saying he won't be a decent President, but he's not without criticism. And I noticed that a lot of gaffers view him as a sort of savior, but understand that a lot of other people I've talked to aren't impressed (and more importantly, not convinced). I'm not impressed yet, and if he fails to win, it'll be a failure on his part in convincing the people - I don't want to hear how 'the country failed us', etc.

woeds

Bluh, this is getting annoying. Why is MSNBC 'interviewing' McCain surrogates while covering the DNC convention? And why are they letting them spew their usual talking points? Are none of these people actually interested in real journalism?

reilo said:
Not only has Colin Powell not endorsed anyone, but he also wouldn't accept the nomination for VP. What people also forget is that Powell is 71 years old.

Even if he was younger I seriously doubt he'd even consider getting in the way of Obama's nomination. Powell is not conservative on domestic issues plus he has given lots of advice and council to Obama

Edit:
On Thursday night, the DNCC will throw open the doors of the Convention and move to INVESCO Field at Mile High so that more Americans can be a part of the fourth night of the Convention as Barack Obama accepts the Democratic nomination. Obama will communicate the urgency of the moment, highlight the struggles Americans are facing and call on Americans to come together to change the course of our nation.

Keylime

Dax01 said:
Noon EST? I'm going to miss it?!?!? No! :(
...and he's giving the speech wearing assless leather chaps.

Krowley

bob_arctor said:

I think he is generally respected in the center and among swing voters, but I suppose that he may be so hated by some democrats that the move would backfire.

I think it would be a "game changer" partly because McCain would be picking a huge fight with his own party. The question is whether he would lose too many conservatives to make it profitable.

woeds said:
Bluh, this is getting annoying. Why is MSNBC 'interviewing' McCain surrogates while covering the DNC convention? And why are they letting them spew their usual talking points? Are none of these people actually interested in real journalism?
Correct. If Obama blows out Mccain, there's no story to cover, and no viewers. If the media manipulates the TV watching public so that they are neck and neck for a while, then there is a story to cover.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jumper said:
For one, his decision to turn down public financing. His reason as I understand is that the campaing finance system is broken, and he needs to in order to effectively fight the Republicans and their lobbyist machine. And he comes off as a good guy for not taking taxpayer dollars. But I don't buy that his reason is genuine - he should've turned it down from the start if he truly felt that way, instead of waiting to see how much he stood to gain from his own contributors. Mostly, it's bothersome as it sets a bad precedent for future candidates with lots of money to just buy their way into the white house. Anyone else feel this way? Am I way wrong about this?

You can't credit the GOP machine in one breath then say this is bad. He knew, we knew, that he'd need money for what the GOP was going to throw at him. Not when the RNC is basically funneling all money that they get into McCain campaigns and telling other people to hack it on their own. Once he saw the writing on the wall, he had to reverse field. The GOP wasn't going to play fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom