• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same way white people took Jazz, Blues, Soul, Rock and Roll, etc and get called innovative when the blacks already had those genres down but they dont get the recognition they deserve. Same is happening with Rap and RnB.
It's fucked up. Black people created the genre, they innovated it, they made it what it is but when some white racist ass who can't carry a song on her own comes in she wins a freaking award? Azealia carried a whole damn album on her own and Nicki can make shit songs amazing with her verse. Iggy? Can't do shit. It's the same shit with Macklemore.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's fucked up. Black people created the genre, they innovated it, they made it what it is but when some white racist ass who can't carry a song on her own comes in she wins a freaking award? Azealia carried a whole damn album on her own and Nicki can make shit songs amazing with her verse. Iggy? Can't do shit. It's the same shit with Macklemore.

The industry aint fair. Iggy had people making sure to make her happe when Azealia didnt had anyone to make her happen. 11k with no promo and Iggy did like 16 or 19k with promo for Reclassified (That is also counting streams I believe so it might have sold worse than BWET). Iggy is being frontloaded and her success has been proven to be carried like a hot potato from collab to collab. Has she released a solo song that smashed like her collabs? Also what does people remember from Fancy? Charli. What does people remember from Beg for it? MØ and Black Widow? Rita Ora.

Azealia if she had a team behind her that had the money to put her on tv and get her gigs to promote her she could have done better than The New Classic sales but burning bridges and not knowing when to shut up also affected her chances to get proper help to make her happen.

Overall the whole thing of appropriation has many things around it that is more than just Iggy stealing the accent but the people behind her frontloading her.

Rap isn't a genre, just as singing isn't a genre. Anyone can rap, anyone can sing, no one owns it. I think Iggy is trash and can't actually rap but she's free to do as she pleases. A white person making hip hop doesn't make them a "culture vulture" or mean they're stealing. Is Eminem stealing black music, or did he grow up living/breathing hip hop and decided to try it for himself? You could argue Iggy is just a failed pop act/model who started rapping in a last ditch effort to become famous...but that's a separate argument from "Iggy is stealing from black people."

The industry aint fair. Iggy had people making sure to make her happe when Azealia didnt had anyone to make her happen. 11k with no promo and Iggy did like 16 or 19k with promo for Reclassified (That is also counting streams I believe so it might have sold worse than BWET). Iggy is being frontloaded and her success has been proven to be carried like a hot potato from collab to collab. Has she released a solo song that smashed like her collabs? Also what does people remember from Fancy? Charli. What does people remember from Beg for it? MØ and Black Widow? Rita Ora.

Azealia if she had a team behind her that had the money to put her on tv and get her gigs to promote her she could have done better than The New Classic sales but burning bridges and not knowing when to shut up also affected her chances to get proper help to make her happen.

Overall the whole thing of appropriation has many things around it that is more than just Iggy stealing the accent but the people behind her frontloading her.
You're exactly right. I just get heated when it comes to stuff like this, it pisses me off to see people shitting on Nicki but praising Iggy when Nicki's verse in Monster alone completely destroys anything Iggy has done.
Rap isn't a genre, just as singing isn't a genre. Anyone can rap, anyone can sing, no one owns it. I think Iggy is trash and can't actually rap but she's free to do as she pleases. A white person making hip hop doesn't make them a "culture vulture" or mean they're stealing. Is Eminem stealing black music, or did he grow up living/breathing hip hop and decided to try it for himself? You could argue Iggy is just a failed pop act/model who started rapping in a last ditch effort to become famous...but that's a separate argument from "Iggy is stealing from black people."
Eminem as an example? Yikes.

royalan

Black people don't "own" rap in the sense that you don't and shouldn't need a black card to be a rapper.

Also, Iggy's career is where Azealia's should be right now for a lot of reasons...aaaaand most of those reasons have to do with Azealia's stank-ass, self-sabotaging attitude. Can't blame Iggy for her success. Yeah, she's a pretty white female rapper and that alone carries novelty, but it ain't THAT easy. Look at all the other pretty white female rappers trying to make it where Iggy is and failing. The end of the day fact is, Iggy hustled to get where she is. And Azealia hustled her foul-ass, homophobic, hateful mouth on Twitter to get where she is (not-a-damn-where).

That's tea.

Is Eminem stealing black music?

i3ruXDrYgIEdr.gif

Black people don't "own" rap in the sense that you don't and shouldn't need a black card to be a rapper.

Also, Iggy's career is where Azealia's should be right now for a lot of reasons...aaaaand most of those reasons have to do with Azealia's stank-ass, self-sabotaging attitude. Can't blame Iggy for her success. Yeah, she's a pretty white female rapper and that alone carries novelty, but it ain't THAT easy. Look at all the other pretty white female rappers trying to make it where Iggy is and failing. The end of the day fact is, Iggy hustled to get where she is. And Azealia hustled her foul-ass, homophobic, hateful mouth on Twitter to get where she is (not-a-damn-where).

That's tea.
How is Iggy not any of this? Because she's white? So she's "just" ignorant? Please.

I should preface this by saying I'm black. Eminem was a great rapper, he's been trash for a decade+ now. He has every right to make hip hop, it isn't owned by black people. If I have a problem with anything it's the novelty factor with white rappers: once a white person does it, it becomes artistic and relateable to a mass audience. Which leads to Eminem winning Grammies, being hailed the greatest rapper ever, Macklemore winning Grammies and being hailed the only rapper with something positive to say, etc. That shit is wack however I have no problem with white people who make hip hop; both Em and Macklemore have acknowledged their white privilege multiple times.

Vazra

Just because Iggy is surrounded by black people it doesnt change the fact that she might be a racist cunt.

Her posts are there saved by the people who took pics and while she might have apologized she might as well be doing those comments off cam or home. We dont know the whole picture with Iggy but she has a history. Racist or Ignorant both are terrible looks.

royalan

How is Iggy not any of this? Because she's white? So she's "just" ignorant? Please.

Because she's not stupid enough to publicly feud with every producer/manager/veteran artist/industry head on Twitter and then wonder why nobody wants to put out her music-you-listen-to-when-you're-a-bottom-about-to-have-sex-with-another-bottom ass album.

I'm not saying Iggy isn't ignorant in a lot of similar ways. But she's not a dumbass when it comes to her own career, which is more than can be said for Azealia Banks.

Vazra

Because she's not stupid enough to publicly feud with every producer/manager/veteran artist/industry head on Twitter and then wonder why nobody wants to put out her music-you-listen-to-when-you're-a-bottom-about-to-have-sex-with-another-bottom ass album.

I'm not saying Iggy isn't ignorant in a lot of similar ways. But she's not a dumbass when it comes to her own career, which is more than can be said for Azealia Banks.

Agree. As terrible as Iggy can be as a person she was a smart woman handling her connections.

Everyone does Iggy's work for her. She can't make a good song without the help of lesser known artists or producers. Iggy needed to shut the fuck up because everyone dragged her to hell and back for her disgusting tweets and rightfully so. That's not being smart about your career, that's knowing when to shut the fuck up because you've been exposed as a racist, homophobic piece of shit and there's nothing you can do about it.

Vazra

Everyone does Iggy's work for her. She can't make a good song without the help of lesser known artists or producers. Iggy needed to shut the fuck up because everyone dragged her to hell and back for her disgusting tweets and rightfully so. That's not being smart about your career, that's knowing when to shut the fuck up because you've been exposed as a racist, homophobic piece of shit and there's nothing you can do about it.

She is smart in the way she didnt fuck up connections with many producers like Azealia did. Iggy knew if she was going to pick on someone it would be on people who are not big or competition which is different than Banks me against everyone era where she broke connections with many producers, artists that were interested in working with her and let us not forget labels.

Iggy might get most of her stuff done sure but she knows when to not mess with people cause she knows she can easily be destroyed if she attacks the wrong people.

Aguila

#ICONIC

If Azealia cared enough about becoming successful, she would have kept silent and sucked up to people, but she obviously cares more about having the freedom to say what she wants. I think that's a much more commendable goal than hiding your disgusting personality to find chart success (something you seem to be applauding >___>).

royalan

If Azealia cared enough about becoming successful, she would have kept silent and sucked up to people, but she obviously cares more about having the freedom to say what she wants. I think that's a much more commendable goal than hiding your disgusting personality to find chart success (something you seem to be applauding >___>).

I'm applauding it if your goal is to make it to the top. Iggy worked her ass off and is exactly where she wants to be. Why would I knock that hustle?

And, considering her label issues and the fact that BWET is 4 years late, I think it's difficult to make the claim that Azealia didn't pop off at the mouth to point that she became a detriment to herself, even IF her goal has always been to be an indie artist with indie freedom. I mean, her feud with Pharell, her feud with Muncii (and the hilarious moment you can tell she realized that she DID need his permission to make money on a song with HIS production)...it has nothing to do with Azealia Banks fighting to be a free spirit. She's her own worst enemy and it's obvious at this point.

RubyFaith

YES I CAME STRAIGHT HERE AFTER I SAW BANKS SNATCHING IGLOO AUSTRALIA ON TWATTER. THE CONTROVERSIAL RACIAL MESS ENSUED JUST AS I WAS HOPING FOR.

kthnxbye

Partition

Banned
eek @ bisexual Azealia Banks using the f word to drag Perez like everyone else does, and suddenly all hell breaks loose and everyone forgets about THE WHITE DEVIL iggy azalea and her crusade against people of color

Vazduh

Azealia being a mess on Twitter, what's new. But Perez has sunk to an even lower low.

That new Purity Ring song is okay, but I hope it grows on me.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'ma need a run down of the shit that just happened

Vazra

I'ma need a run down of the shit that just happened

Azealia was mad that Iggy was copying and "stealing" black culture stuff but didnt talked about black people issues on what has been happening recently. Obviously it didnt end in one tweet and continued going at it. Im laughing at the interview I read yesterday that was saying she was a classy lady and stopped having beefs. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom