• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Really? This is news to me. I mean they work so good together. What happened that messed with her last comeback?

wow disagree completely roy

Timbaland and Missy are SO good together

Gossip Folk>>>>>

Work It>>>>>

Her two best songs imo, common denominator = Timbaland

Well yeah - CLASSIC Missy/Timbaland is undeniable. But then Timbaland went to shit (or do you guys not remember post-2008 Tim? Shit got real wack real fast after his peak.)

Then he and Missy did two songs together in like 2011 that were going to serve as her "comeback", but they were both brough down by Timbaland's shitty production and weak-ass "rapping." Not even Missy seemed like she wanted anything to do with it.

Touchdown

Banned
So Miley has been out and about lately...

1623583_10152677716941865_7574725495555829157_n.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
PopJustice on Sucker

Charli finishes 2014 (UK readers: starts 2015 but let’s not go into that) by releasing ‘Sucker’, which is an extraordinary album. There’s pop that sounds like rock, rock that sounds like pop and pop that sounds like pop. There are ballads, there are bangers. It’s loads of things you might have hoped for after ‘True Romance’ and it’s loads of things you wouldn’t have expected after ‘True Romance’. It sounds like a globe-straddling chart behemoth who’s stomped around for as long as you can remember just as much as it sounds like the arrival of a brand new pop queen. Some songs are precision tooled to be Number One, others are designed to be nothing of the sort. There are ups, there are downs. There’s truth, there’s romance. There are booms, there are claps. There’s swearing.

Source: http://www.popjustice.com/briefing/2014-az-c-is-for-charli/132910/#ixzz3L0J1f2PE
Follow us: @Popjustice on Twitter | popjustice on Facebook
9/10
ed2305b7.png
ed2305b7.png
ed2305b7.png

Vazra

Seriously? a UK artist and her album wont come out at the same time here? fed up of this shit tbh. Its making me want to get a US itunes account because shit shouldn't be coming out here months later anymore.

UK gets 1 extra song tho. (So Over You)

cory64

Well yeah - CLASSIC Missy/Timbaland is undeniable. But then Timbaland went to shit (or do you guys not remember post-2008 Tim? Shit got real wack real fast after his peak.)

Then he and Missy did two songs together in like 2011 that were going to serve as her "comeback", but they were both brough down by Timbaland's shitty production and weak-ass "rapping." Not even Missy seemed like she wanted anything to do with it.
This Is Not A Test was straight fire, then her last album Tim was only on like 2 tracks but given his decline it's not like we've been missing out on some unrealized Missy/Tim classic.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
She ran practically unopposed though so its really no surprise
No gaga, rih, katy, nicki, brit, madonna, kesha
Literally no other pop girl decided to even try and release an album

what a dire second half of the year for pop tbh
azealia my saving grace

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

really? not when yall where praising Beyonce for the first half of the year
and proclaiming no other thot could do IT
not when Katy continued with her disgusting era too
and gags is STILL trying at this very moment
but laughing at kesha and madonena being mention

unopposed tho

X0gDFvn.gif

What's this talk about Timbaland's decline? His work with JT on Better Than Your Faves Experience vol 1 was fantastic. Hell, a good number of tracks on Vol 2 are good as well.

Vitanimus

Bye both of JT's albums were shit. A pretentious and overly long experience that needed a severe case of editing. It only sold so well cos the GP was thirsty

sphinx

the piano man
so what happened to Mariah Carey?

she performed some days ago in Rockefeller center a chritsmas gig, was recorded and her falsetto range is completely gone. She still has the nice middle voice and remnants of what she once was.

she need to be careful with what she sings, if that range is gone then fuck it and sing other stuff. Women's voices turn darker with age, it's normal, she should know better.

Does Maria Carey's Voice know it's Christmas?

Vazra

so what happened to Mariah Carey?

she performed some days ago in Rockefeller center a chritsmas gig, was recorded and her falsetto range is completely gone. She still has the nice middle voice and remnants of what she once was.

she need to be careful with what she sings, if that range is gone then fuck it and sing other stuff. Women's voices turn darker with age, it's normal, she should know better.

Does Maria Carey's Voice know it's Christmas?

Mariah is that weird uncle you see only on Xmas. Kinda like her chart performance.

Mau ®

Literally no other pop girl decided to even try and release an album

As if any of those rats compare to The Lord, her sales & power.

tumblr_n4y7dz8fGH1s64jz1o6_250.gif

Mau ®;141759751 said:
B4GHjYwCcAASSlp.jpg

More to come
...and the winner is Mali Music - Mali Is.

He's definitely the underdog, but deserves it!
Don't knock him, before you listen. I gave you all the heads-up a couple post back.

Bangerz has one good song. Wrecking Ball. And one useable while in a compromised mental state song. We Can't Stop.
Agreed, the rest are trash and sound like trash
Bangerz was a damn joke.

Also wtf @ Prism. I'm going to sound like a pressed and bitter stan now and say that the Grammys only care about what's popular and are becoming as meh as the VMAs.

Latch

Agreed, the rest are trash and sound like trash
Bangerz was a damn joke.

Also wtf @ Prism. I'm going to sound like a pressed and bitter stan now and say that the Grammys only care about what's popular and are becoming as meh as the VMAs.

You can't honestly think Gaga deserved any noms
PRISM, as vapid as it may be, was sure to get a nom or two

there are shitty albums in the categories because it's been a year of shitty music

You can't honestly think Gaga deserved any noms
PRISM, as vapid as it may be, was sure to get a nom or two

there are shitty albums in the categories because it's been a year of shitty music
I didn't think ARTPOP deserved a nom in that category but if Bangerz and PRISM are the bars they've set then I don't see why it shouldn't.

I didn't think ARTPOP deserved a nom in that category but if Bangerz and PRISM are the bars they've set then I don't see why it shouldn't.

This

I understand Prism being there (Katy ruled Q4 2013/Q1 2014), but ARTPOP is a forever better album than Bangerz, Wrecking Ball or no. I know it's not exactly a [ p o p u l a r ] opinion to have but no putrid combination of Bangerz songs comes close to these quintessential BOPS

Aura
Venus
GUY
Sexxx Dreams
Do What U Want
ARTPOP
Mary Jane Holland
Gypsy
Applause

All things equal, if the album simply sold more or had a higher charting second single it would be on that list, and that's a sad fact

I don't think they're Grammy worthy (or even good), but they are better than SHARTPOP
Aura, Venus, G.U.Y., Sexxx Dreams, DWUW, ARTPOP, MJH >>> anything on either of those albums, except maybe Wrecking Ball or Walking on Air.

I seriously wish she hadn't called the damn album ARTPOP. If you look at so many reviews they seem more concerned with whether or not it's art rather than the actual quality of music.

Is ARTPOP a cohesive album? No. Is it an album stuffed with some excellent songs? Yes.
This

I understand Prism being there (Katy ruled Q4 2013/Q1 2014), but ARTPOP is a forever better album than Bangerz, Wrecking Ball or no. I know it's not exactly a [ p o p u l a r ] opinion to have but no putrid combination of Bangerz songs comes close to these quintessential BOPS

Aura
Venus
GUY
Sexxx Dreams
Do What U Want
ARTPOP
Mary Jane Holland
Gypsy
Applause

All things equal, if the album simply sold more or had a higher charting second single it would be on that list, and that's a sad fact
Exactly. I mean seriously, Bangerz?

Latch

The main thing I disliked about ARTPOP is that it offered nothing new
It sounds like a collection of unreleased songs from the sessions for her previous albums

She always does the same tired shit
90% "untz untz" music with the one Brown Eyes/Speechless/You and I/Dope thrown in somewhere toward the end to remind us that she can play an instrument and has ~r3al talent

Mau ®

It sounds like a collection of unreleased songs from the sessions for her previous albums

90% "untz untz" music with the one Brown Eyes/Speechless/You and I/Dope thrown in somewhere toward the end to remind us that she can play an instrument and has ~r3al talent

All this truth. Make sure to post more often.

Gaga lost the moment she gave a collection of non-transformative pop songs a title that implied something transformative. ARTPOP is too dynamic a name for something that ultimately, while a great pop album, was still pretty static and familiar.

It's literally Gaga's version of 4, but if 4 was instead called "Music That Will Change The Course Of History 4ever". If it's not a paradigm-shifting album, then you better not oversell it in the title.

Vazduh

Venus is pretty unusual. More reasons why it should've been a single :(
Gaga lost the moment she gave a collection of non-transformative pop songs a title that implied something transformative. ARTPOP is too dynamic a name for something that ultimately, while a great pop album, was still pretty static and familiar.

It's literally Gaga's version of 4, but if 4 was instead called "Music That Will Change The Course Of History 4ever". If it's not a paradigm-shifting album, then you better not oversell it in the title.
This is what I feel too. I remember the press release as well where she talked about the reverse Warholian experience...... I still don't know what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom