• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latch

Aura, Venus, G.U.Y., Sexxx Dreams, DWUW, ARTPOP, MJH >>> anything on either of those albums

The demo version of Aura sounds better than the final, so naw
Venus is cute
G.U.Y. is basic and it's honestly sad that this is the kind of mediocrity you've grown to start praising your fave for
Sexxx Dreams was a disappointment the first time she performed it at iTunes Fest
the verses are forgettable and the hook is the audible form of topping with a soft dick
The only good thing about DWUW is the instrumental
Gaga and the pedo could've kept that caterwauling competition
ARTPOP is the one good album track
Mary Jane Holland sounds like stan parody mixtape version of Bloody Mary

Latch

Gaga lost the moment she gave a collection of non-transformative pop songs a title that implied something transformative. ARTPOP is too dynamic a name for something that ultimately, while a great pop album, was still pretty static and familiar.

It's literally Gaga's version of 4, but if 4 was instead called "Music That Will Change The Course Of History 4ever". If it's not a paradigm-shifting album, then you better not oversell it in the title.

the title just exudes pretension, so I knew the album would be shit from jump

ARTPOP sounds like something an online music publication would coin to describe a Gaga album
For her to actually make that the title is just sad in itself

What's laughable to me is how hard she tried to embody art+pop with the imagery and failed miserably
If she was smart she would've gone for a 60's aesthetic

Venus remains unbothered as the best ARTPOP track.

If only she released that as a single/music video instead of G.U.Y

All that money and energy put into the G.U.Y music video.. What a waste.

the title just exudes pretension, so I knew the album would be shit from jump

ARTPOP sounds like something an online music publication would coin to describe a Gaga album
For her to actually make that the title is just sad in itself

What's laughable to me is how hard she tried to embody art+pop with the imagery and failed miserably
If she was smart she would've gone for a 60's aesthetic

Yeah, she was feeling her oats a bit too much with that shit. I think the concept she was pedaling was fully realized, and I do think it's an interesting concept, but there's almost zero of it in the music. The music is just familiar eclectic Gaga; the themes are familiar (fame, sex, drugs, fashion), the production is predictable, and none of it takes her into new avenues. Only two songs are an exception: Venus and ARTPOP, and they're not enough to carry the rest.

If you forget the hype, the imagery (sans the Applause cover, which should have been the main cover), and her mouth, the music itself is cute and filled with bops. Add the excess however, and the music drowns.

80% of ARTPOP's reviews spent a great deal of time talking about her instead of the music. Fail

Yado

I'm sure Gaga doesn't want a Grammy for the genre she renounced.
ioNs6OITMQxtp.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Igloo Australia said:
I’ve always loved Fergie and Gwen Stefani,” said Iggy Azalea when asked which women in music does she love the most. ”I loved Eve and Lil’ Kim and Missy Elliott. I loved Trina and Christina Aguilera as well. I wanted to be a mix of all of them, which I think I am — I hope!”
Source

😂 😂 😂

Chandelier for ROTY, Do It Again for Best Dance/Electronic Album, SELF-TITLED for Best Urban Contemporary Album, and Faded and F For You for Best Dance Recording are seriously the only nominees I agree with at all in any capacity.

And not Igloo being up for best rap album. TRASH.

Vazduh

This is barely related to POPGAF, but since Marky Mark was at one point a hot pop gyal, I'll post it here.

Mark Wahlberg applies to have 1988 assault erased

A small reminder of the things he did.

When Marky Mark was fifteen, he had civil actions placed against him for hurling rocks at black people while screaming racial slurs (the n-word) at them. One year later, in a single day, he knocked Thahn Lam—a middle-aged man of Vietnamese descent—unconscious with a stick while calling him “Vietnam fucking shit” and, on that same evening, punched Hoa Trinh—again several years his senior—in the eye, permanently blinding him. After being brought to the scene on the first charge, Wahlberg told officers, “You don’t have to let him identify me, I’ll tell you now that’s the motherfucker whose head I split open” and apparently made several remarks regarding “gooks” and “slant-eyed gooks” during police proceedings. For his crimes he spent 45 days in a correctional facility.

What a classy man!

The funny thing is, by applying to have the assault erased, he'll draw attention to the old crimes, since most people weren't even aware of them.

And that's

xR6Fw3h.jpg

Let the people know.

This is barely related to POPGAF, but since Marky Mark was at one point a hot pop gyal, I'll post it here.

Mark Wahlberg applies to have 1988 assault erased

A small reminder of the things he did.

What a classy man!

The funny thing is, by applying to have the assault erased, he'll draw attention to the old crimes, since most people weren't even aware of them.

And that's

xR6Fw3h.jpg

Let the people know.
I didn't know this. So success I guess!

People are really harsh on Artpop. On the top of my head I like G.U.Y., Mary Jane Holland, Do What You Want, Gypsy and Aura (the demo version shits all over the final one though). Not the greatest album, but I played it quite a bit.

On the other hand, Bangerz did nothing for me. We Can't Stop sounds just so...lifeless. Wrecking Ball did nothing for me. And other than that I don't really remember anything from the album, except for the Bangerz song itself, which I also find weird because it's supposed to be this mental, raving, bass thumping banger yet the bass itself is really subdued. I can't flip out to that... The production on all the Bangerz songs left to be desired, iirc.

Get your final word in peeps, PM me your choice before our little game is gone for good.

One of these ladies leads by just one vote. You independents have all the power right now. Crown our winner!

Vazduh

People are really harsh on Artpop.

For a reason. The expectations were high and the album didn't meet them. The pretentious title and the empty promises (all about that app, for example) didn't help much, and the failure of singles after Applause served as the final nail in the coffin. If it were someone else behind the album and not Lady Gaga, people would have probably been a bit less harsh on it, but there's no denying the fact that it could have been much better. That it was enjoyable doesn't make it necessarily good.

I still think she has at least one good album in her, but she'll need to move away from all that jazz first.

For a reason. The expectations were high and the album didn't meet them. The pretentious title and the empty promises (all about that app, for example) didn't help much, and the failure of singles after Applause served as the final nail in the coffin. If it were someone else behind the album and not Lady Gaga, people would have probably been a bit less harsh on it, but there's no denying the fact that it could have been much better. That it was enjoyable doesn't make it necessarily good.

I still think she has at least one good album in her, but she'll need to move away from all that jazz first.

It all won't matter in a year, we're just gonna remember how "enjoyable" it was like you said and the rest of our hangups will probably be forgotten. Remove the context and the product still shines

EDIT: BEYONCE better get album of the year and legitimize this mess otherwise what's the point. Problematic

The fact that the highest nominated artist received only 5 tells me something I already knew:

We have too many goddamn people in popular music. Youtube and viral shit is ruining everything for me. I want big megastars again. :(

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
bangerz nominated for pop and not beyonce?
a fucking joke
bangerz was absolute trash like the artist that made it

Can a person participate in contest even if they aren't apart of Pop-Gaf. If so my vote goes to
Beyonce.My uncle use to be her bodyguard during the Destiny's Child and her early solo career days.

Can a person participate in contest even if they aren't apart of Pop-Gaf. If so my vote goes to
Beyonce.My uncle use to be her bodyguard during the Destiny's Child and her early solo career days.

You can definitely vote, just make sure to PM it to me (soulscribe) so that I can officially count it :)

You can definitely vote, just make sure to PM it to me (soulscribe) so that I can officially count it :)

Thanks I just sent you the PM. I'm not a big Pop person anymore and I somehow avoided listening to the radio for like 7 years but I somehow still manage to hear Beyonce's music, so I figure that has to count for something lol.

Thanks for voting!

Our finalists are once again tied. I don't know how you are making this possible (coz it's a buttfuckton of votes) but I'm perched to see how this ends up.

Partition

Banned
The fact that the highest nominated artist received only 5 tells me something I already knew:

We have too many goddamn people in popular music. Youtube and viral shit is ruining everything for me. I want big megastars again. :(

Well I'd argue more than that, it's killing pop music altogether. Everything is becoming homogenous and bland.

Touchdown

Banned
Real.

But to be honest, I was rather impressed with how well she managed her chest voice for most of the performance.

Considering where she was last year, just being able to deliver the rapid-fire verses without running out of breath is an accomplishment.

lowered-expectations.jpg

I agree with this for the most part. The tempo sounded a bit sped up too for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom