• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydle

grimes?

RBB1eoQ.gif

I just gave Genesis and Oblivion a listen. Mess.

royalan

You say that as if every pop artist should aspire to sell out, but that doesn't surprise me coming from someone whose fave is only relevant through Maroon 5 and Shitbull.

No. What I mean is that, in her undeniable attempts to sell out, Grimes still flops.

Oh and don't forget A Great Big World, the #1 singing competition in the US, and successful fragrance lines, sis. Those are keeping my faves good and relevant too. :)

But what's keeping Grimes relevant, I wonder?

Aguila

#ICONIC
How can you come for Grimes? She is an angel sent from above.

rn all I see from Mariah is a big ego, a photoshopped life, shit music, and decaying performance skills. I'm scared to imagine what kind of Jabba the Hutt creature we would discover under all the photoshop and studio magic trickeriii.

iDXMAXRwdNjZf.gif

cory64

I'm still judging most of you for not listing Janet. Annie is a hew so I understand, but Janet is one of the core pillars of female pop stardom.

Sis was wiping the floor left and right from the Control era all the way through to the very second Justine viciously exposed her harmless nipple to the world and walked away without a scratch.

She is the reason Godney exists, and by extension she created Blackout. She was talking about flawless diq years before Nicki. She invented the female dance music video. She was naked on her album cover ages before the others tried it. She signed with Virgin a decade before Mariah's failed stint and actually stayed relevamt enough to complete her contractual obligations.

Mumei

Sis, not even you can justify metaflopic here.

Grimes has ONE album, and several of Mariah's albums predate metacritic.

I'm having a flashback to the last time we had this debate about Metacritic. And godels is as wrong now as he was then. He only uses Metacritic as a way to score cheap points without actually having to argue his position.

But he was right when he said this:

Right.

The issue for me comes more when trying to determine quality; it counts equally the most insightful and the most vapid reviews. I am sure we have all read reviews at some point or another where the reviewer just did not appear to understand what they were talking about, repeatedly got basic information wrong, and ended up giving a negative review to something on a ridiculous basis. That negative review and the well-thought positive review both count for the same thing. And you could obviously switch that - a positive review for something that is actually basic.

And then Metacritic themselves actually take it upon themselves to give scores for reviews that do not have an explicit score of some sort. I don't see how anyone can take it seriously. Even when you are trying to determine critical acclaim it is problematic because it can count Random Ass Place You've Never Heard Of the same as Prestigious Magazine #6.

iFx0o0wYWkOL4.gif

I haven't got anything more constructive to add because you pretty much nail it. If I were having a serious discussion about which of two artists has a higher quality output I wouldn't rely on Metacritic.

Of course not.

if grimes is stuck in 2013, when and where is mariah stuck?

in the doorframe on the way into the year 2000?

No, she got stuck in 2009.

overcast

Pretty much loved Grimes last album, hated Go, but I guess that's not supposed to be the sound she's going for?

I think she ranges from looking cute to suddenly looking pretty bad depending on photos. She looked cute recently though!

I'm still judging most of you for not listing Janet. Annie is a hew so I understand, but Janet is one of the core pillars of female pop stardom.

Sis was wiping the floor left and right from the Control era all the way through to the very second Justine viciously exposed her harmless nipple to the world and walked away without a scratch.

She is the reason Godney exists, and by extension she created Blackout. She was talking about flawless diq years before Nicki. She invented the female dance music video. She was naked on her album cover ages before the others tried it. She signed with Virgin a decade before Mariah's failed stint and actually stayed relevamt enough to complete her contractual obligations.

I can't believe it myself. I voted for Janet and I agree with everything too. These kids don't know what true iconic music is these days. Sad...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
grimes?

RBB1eoQ.gif

I just gave Genesis and Oblivion a listen. Mess.

I actually like those two songs (I linked to them several pages back) but I'm not familiar with Grimes and hadn't read up on her or seen her interviews. Now finding out that she talks shit about people including the QUEEN??? Like you wouldn't even have a chance at your flop career without the people that paved the way for you! Show some damn respect :mad: smh
Cannot stand ungrateful people. I won't be voting for Gollum this round, my vote goes to Mariah. She's EARNED her place.

3phemeral

I tried getting into Grimes but I just couldn't. I can't relate to it in any sense, but I'll make another effort in the near future.

That said:

ibsNd0I5g8wCLI.gif
+ 1

Touchdown

Banned
Mariah doesn't know who Grimes is and neither did I until I heard today that she stanned Mariah.

ictvzpDxUIPXx.gif

We all know that Mimi's library slays anything Grimes has produced, but at least she'll get the honor to be Mariah's first victim on her way to winning this whole thing.

ictvzpDxUIPXx.gif

Icicle

I demand Perra be replaced with Janet. I wasn't here to vote for her and break the tie. Bullshit, you should have counted my vote.

There is only one LEGEND on that roster deserving to win. Count my vote for Mariah in each round.

Touchdown

Banned
I demand Perra be replaced with Janet. I wasn't here to vote for her and break the tie. Bullshit, you should have counted my vote.

There is only one LEGEND on that roster deserving to win. Count my vote for Mariah in each round.

YAS. Icicle has spoken.
ed2305b7.png

IrishNinja

maybe i shoulda thrown a pity vote for xtina; girl could actually sing & recent years those thick gifs could get it

Slay
iw5MF3EPy1QKa.gif

I'm so happy to see others voting for the Soul Queen, my girl Sade <3 She's one of my top 4 of all-time, I love her so much (my top 4 doesn't change) and I hope she's got enough votes to make this contest! :)

she's just...like if i ever met someone that could sing like that, damn. i'd follow like some pied piper shit.

Soul, how are you determining these match ups? Are you doing it randomly?

The My Bracket app; I put the names in and shuffled that shit, so we're following the match ups on there. I haven't even read the rest of the matches... I didn't want to. lol

This page is destroying me, so much fucking Grimes shade I CANNOT

Fun fact about Christina: She was a sure thing for the tournament until some last minute votes which elevated Janet Jackson and a couple of others over her. She was almost a part of the tie breaker but had one less vote than the others so she barely made it. I was so pressed because she was actually higher than Mariah and Taylor during most of the game. #butthelotuswillrise

Partition

Banned
The My Bracket app; I put the names in and shuffled that shit, so we're following the match ups on there. I haven't even read the rest of the matches... I didn't want to. lol

This page is destroying me, so much fucking Grimes shade I CANNOT

random wasn't fair tbh, how are my acclaimed flop faves supposed to beat someone with the most #1s ever?

like even I feel like I am lying to myself voting my fave over Mariah, cuz Mariah was actually good a long time ago, and certainly has receipts

Grimes has one album (and what she considers two mixtapes), a very very good one though, but it obviously isn't enough~

shoulda started out as
Bey vs. Rihanna
Gaga vs. Britney
Lana Del Rey vs. Grimes
Robyn vs. Kylie
Madonna vs. Mariah
Charli vs. Ellie
Taylor vs. Kelly
Kesha vs. Katy
Bjork vs. Jessie Ware

at least the first few rounds would have been more open for debate, smh

Well it seems that your indie fave is holding up just fine so far:

iTqR6x13JXl6K.png

Your round suggestions are cray because you're obviously setting people up for failure right from the start. If it's randomized then I'm completely out of the picture, it comes down to who you want to see win more. Grimes isn't at a disadvantage as an indie unknown any more than Mariah is at a disadvantage for being played out and way past her prime. :p

cory64

I concur. PG LEGEND Icicle should count for 5 votes for Janet.

Additionally, the Doesn't Really Matter video changed my childhood and your faves could never.

Partition

Banned
just make it 20 spots and include janet and annie, smh

perra is pointless because whoever she is paired with will easily win

Nemesis_

Well it seems that your indie fave is holding up just fine so far:

iTqR6x13JXl6K.png

Your round suggestions are cray because you're obviously setting people up for failure right from the start. If it's randomized then I'm completely out of the picture, it comes down to who you want to see win more. Grimes isn't at a disadvantage as an indie unknown any more than Mariah is at a disadvantage for being played out and way past her prime. :p

Not you using their album certifications for their materials in this pie chart.

Anyway, Nicole Scherzinger has given us everything we need that Janet can't anymore, so we no longer need her in the competition.

ibai5KrKaGEpuq.gif

Vazduh

And Vazduh, loved Sugar Free. There's an English version/13 remixes coming soon too.

Hahahahh, omg :D Perched for that one.

DeadBanana.gif
DeadBanana.gif

Speaking of Nicole Scheradfdfsgewringer, her new single (?) was leaked (?). Anyway, it's called Run and it's much better than On The Bollocks. But then again, everything's better than that one so it's faint praise.

Nicole - Run

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Anyway, Nicole Scherzinger has given us everything we need that Janet can't anymore, so we no longer need her in the competition.

ibai5KrKaGEpuq.gif

giphy.gif

I've always wanted to go for tea with Grimes. She seems like a nice person, very intelligent. A musician who offers something fascinating and different to the soundscape.

ibepQNF5rkJdna.gif

#justiceforjanet #justiceforannie #justiceforjen

banks-goddess.jpg

GOD BLESS

24 hours ago I didn't even know who this woman was, but NOW... this album is blowing me away. It's great music. The lyrics and production are on point.

" Fucking with the goddess and you get a little colder" -Banks

This has been a great year for music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom