• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Gwen is working with Pharrel on ha next album
any and all hype erased

banks-goddess.jpg

GOD BLESS

24 hours ago I didn't even know who this woman was, but NOW... this album is blowing me away. It's great music. The lyrics and production are on point.

" Fucking with the goddess and you get a little colder" -Banks

This has been a great year for music!

I just came to post that I am enjoying her album a lot. Jhene Aiko's Souled Out is very good too.

More than double the votes have come in since the last update, so here's where we stand so far on Round 1, Battle 1:

iTqR6x13JXl6K.png

..... Sistren please get it together

That said I still haven't voted yet. Not sure how to break the tie just yet but I'll decide soon. lol

just make it 20 spots and include janet and annie, smh

perra is pointless because whoever she is paired with will easily win

You guys should make better choices then, lol. Talk to all the people who voted for Katy Perry, coz it was a lot. Even if I counted Icicle's vote it wouldn't have done much. The people have spoken, so you're gonna have to deal with Kathryn just like the American populace *.*

cory64

Gwen NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Although, Gwen did a song with Pharell YEARS ago back when he was N.E.R.D. That was really hot...
Really starting to doubt that Pharrell realises his retro schtick is DONE already. Gwen better unleash the beast that gave us Hollaback Qorl and Slave 4 U

royalan

More than double the votes have come in since the last update, so here's where we stand so far on Round 1, Battle 1:

iTqR6x13JXl6K.png

..... Sistren please get it together

That said I still haven't voted yet. Not sure how to break the tie just yet but I'll decide soon. lol

You guys should make better choices then, lol. Talk to all the people who voted for Katy Perry, coz it was a lot. Even if I counted Icicle's vote it wouldn't have done much. The people have spoken, so you're gonna have to deal with Kathryn just like the American populace *.*

Disgusting.

That a vocal legend has to compete in a tight race against a SoundCloud Nobody who, even when her stans defend her, can only talk about the one album she put out 3 years ago that left no visible mark on the industry and was just cute for its moment.

Appalling.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
right, as opposed to mariah stans, who when defending her can only point to stuff that she put out two decades ago

Mumei

I said when we're having a serious discussion.

And there is no discussion to be had in this instance. 💅

Eh.

I think there is discussion to be had, but I don't have the musical background to have it. You know those music theory articles that Slate had for, say, Katy Perry or Lady Gaga? I'd feel like I would need that sort of grasp of music in order to explain or justify my positions to someone who doesn't agree with me.

But then, the inability to do this is precisely why we resort to Metacritic and shade in the first place.

right, as opposed to mariah stans, who when defending her can only point to stuff that she put out nearly two decades ago

Sis, that's recent by my standards~

royalan

right, as opposed to mariah stans, who when defending her can only point to stuff that she put out nearly two decades ago

But at least that "stuff" is multiple platinum albums filled with hits that would influence an entire generation of singers.

I'm not against Indie artists winning against legends, but damn at least let it be indie acts that are at least doing some shit. Twigs, iamamiwhoami, Tinashe... These would be acceptable.

But fucking Grimes??? This is a travesty of flop taste over a chick who didn't even have enough of an impact to say she had 15 minutes. A blip 3 years ago and nothing more.

It's like the Azealia stans who so go on and on about fucking 212 in 2014.

Let it goooo

Let it gooooooooo

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i literally don't even know how to respond to these delusions

i mean pretty much everybody in the industry agrees that visions is one of the best albums of the last decade and that stuff like genesis and oblivion are incredible songs

and she has another alber out this year, two and a bit years afterwards, which is a perfectly reasonable followup time

but apparently this is a situation that is THE SAME AS a bish who has put out a single great EP and who has spent the last three years talking about how she is going to change the world without doing shit

this is delusionalan at her finest. just literally word vomit sprayed across my screen that bares zero resemblance with reality. it's like trying to argue against someone who thinks obama is a lizard.

Nemesis_

I doubt anyone would be channelling Grimes must like some contemporary artists today attempt to channel Mariah.

I mean the indie movement who's started wearing jumpers around their waists again and doing their hair like Pidgeot escaping from a concentration camp all think it's great and have updated their nouveau blogs with the scores that get archived by Metacritic but who cares if nobody remembers about it in a few years.

I don't even like Mariah Carey, why am I doing this

royalan

i literally don't even know how to respond to these delusions

i mean pretty much everybody in the industry agrees that visions is one of the best albums of the last decade and that stuff like genesis and oblivion are incredible songs

and she has another alber out this year, two and a bit years afterwards, which is a perfectly reasonable followup time

but apparently this is a situation that is THE SAME AS a bish who has put out a single great EP and who has spent the last three years talking about how she is going to change the world without doing shit

this is delusionalan at her finest. just literally word vomit sprayed across my screen that bares zero resemblance with reality. it's like trying to argue against someone who thinks obama is a lizard.

Kiii at you thinking that album is still coming out this year.

Kiii at Visions being the best album of the decade. By whose rubric? Pitchfork's?

I'm talking REAL WORLD IMPACT, sis.

I voted for Mariah,

At the end of the day she's one of the biggest names in music (past and present) and even though I may not care personally for her voice or material, every pop star that I follow today has used her example as a template for their own work, and that alone makes her worth all my votes. <3

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
speaking of albums coming out this year, does anyone have the latest on xtincta shitguilera's MASSIVE COMEBACK?

i am hopelessly confused because some of what people are saying doesn't make any sense

ibdbKO9fa9dPqP.gif

I mean the indie movement who's started wearing jumpers around their waists again and doing their hair like Pidgeot escaping from a concentration camp all think it's great and have updated their nouveau blogs with the scores that get archived by Metacritic but who cares if nobody remembers about it in a few years.

And I never was smart with love
I let the bad ones in and the good ones go
But I'm gonna love you like I've never been hurt before
I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible
Your love is ultramagnetic
Not again it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible

"Indestructible" is probably my favorite Robyn song. It always slays me when it comes up on my Spotify playlist.

I haven't voted yet ;_;

To be completely honest I'm not really a fan of either artist. I mean, Mariah is technically a pop legend, and put out a lot of great material during her peak. But she's a massive diva and kind of a bitch, so I'm reluctant to vote for her.

Grimes, on the other hand, hasn't really done anything for the industry on Mariah's scale. I love Go but I haven't listened to her album, and she seems like a really down to earth person. But if this competition is based on who popGAF's ultimate fave is, she certaintly isn't it for me. I'm just really indifferent to her.

Hmm.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
And here I thought you were talking about Metacritic receipts, Mariah being old, Mariah being past her prime, and Mariah being fat.

yes and those all have a tangible and real impact on her quality, as evinced by the metacritic tea

Nemesis_

I haven't voted yet ;_;

To be completely honest I'm not really a fan of either artist. I mean, Mariah is technically a pop legend, and put out a lot of great material during her peak. But she's a massive diva and kind of a bitch, so I'm reluctant to vote for her.

Grimes, on the other hand, hasn't really done anything for the industry on Mariah's scale. I love Go but I haven't listened to her album, and she seems like a really down to earth person. But if this competition is based on who popGAF's ultimate fave is, she certaintly isn't it for me. I'm just really indifferent to her.

Hmm.

Pretty much :(

royalan

And I never was smart with love
I let the bad ones in and the good ones go
But I'm gonna love you like I've never been hurt before
I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible
Your love is ultramagnetic
Not again it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible

"Indestructible" is probably my favorite Robyn song. It always slays me when it comes up on my Spotify playlist.

Hang With Me is the Robyn song I have a moment with every time it pops up. ;__;

Mumei

yes and those all have a tangible and real impact on her quality, as evinced by the metacritic tea

I'd agree that the fact that she's past her prime has had a negative impact on her quality; that's undeniable. But read the reviews for, say, Daydream or Butterfly and compare them to what critics were saying about Visions. I don't see how you can make an argument that there's a serious qualitative difference in how positive publications were towards those albums.

I haven't voted yet ;_;

Hmm.

You're overthinking it; it's just a popularity contest. Vote for whoever you like; it's not actually about voting for who is "better" or "more important," whatever that means.

I haven't voted yet ;_;

Hmm.

Honestly the fact that they have nothing to do with each other is why it's a fun matchup. Mariah Carey's clout is all rooted in her past and all that she's accomplished. She changed the music industry because she wanted to. Grimes is a relative newcomer and the "universe" that she operates in, so to speak, is much much smaller. Her clout is rooted entirely in the quality of her music so far and the potential for more great music down the road. She's not changing the industry because she doesn't seek the task. So really it's a matter of measuring which of those two sides you prefer to support. In my case, I think Mariah Carey deserves points not only for vocal talent but for career longevity. Grimes is already a huge name in the indie scene but there's no telling how far she can take it, or if she even wants to take it that far. Mariah assembled a long-lasting machine that kept her on top of the game for decades, and I always found that impressive.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly the fact that they have nothing to do with each other is why it's a fun matchup. Mariah Carey's clout is all rooted in her past and all that she's accomplished. She changed the music industry because she wanted to. Grimes is a relative newcomer and the "universe" that she operates in, so to speak, is much much smaller. Her clout is rooted entirely in the quality of her music so far and the potential for more great music down the road. She's not changing the industry because she doesn't seek the task. So really it's a matter of measuring which of those two sides you prefer to support. In my case, I think Mariah Carey deserves points not only for vocal talent but for career longevity. Grimes is already a huge name in the indie scene but there's no telling how far she can take it, or if she even wants to take it that far. Mariah assembled a long-lasting machine that kept her on top of the game for decades, and I always found that impressive.

there's also the fact that grimes seems like a genuinely wonderful person

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
another reason to vote for grimes—as if having the best album of the decade isn't enough—is that she's an awesome feminist

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mariah got my vote and I'm not even a fan
I liked Genesis and Go but even if I did enjoy Grimes more I'd still vote for Mariah She's not anything remarkable whereas Mariah is a fucking legend that has the best Christmas song ever written. It really should be no contest

Nemesis_

my mum got her friend who went to see Kate Bush to buy me a tour t shirt
52b0f867.gif

That is so good! I am still pressed I actually attended a tour (Yeezus) and didn't get a chance to grab a shirt. Stupid cunts sold out and the Yeezus Pop Up Store was Melbourne exclusive.

An east coast favouring mess

Matt_

ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

the most overplayed and overrated christmas song ever written maybe.

iGIwM2JqQdpWm.gif

You can come for Maria, but YOU WILL NOT come for All I Want For Christmas
It is ETERNAL and all those other wrinkly old men can SEETHE that they've been usurped

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's a shit song for people with no joy in their lives. learn to love yourself.

it's a cliché to say it but since it's the only christmas song that actually sums up christmas in any way there's no contest; the best christmas song is fairytale of new york.

Nemesis_

godels maybe you should come to terms with the fact that not everybody is like you and is in agreeance with you and that opinions may differ

Godels and Royalan doing the most
My example tourney has come alive tbh

EDIT: And keep in mind that I can't count any votes mentioned here and not PM'd to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom