• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
i've listened to that new crazy in love about seventeen million times

your faves tried it. soundtrack contribution of the forever has been snatched from their grasp. better luck next time.

Too bad that they murdered Haunted in the process... really liked the original =/

so flashin del pan managed to accidentally record the video in the first place?

okay!!
but do you not see the difference between releasing something that you recorded in promotion of something vs filming something, regretting it and never letting it see the light of day?
sorry sis i love lana but it's known she glamourises this type of stuff in her older tracks and more recently in ultraviolence the song
she's never declared herself a feminist though, then gone on to release something that flies in antithesis to that. unlike beyoncé.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm literally screaming at the delusions on the wiki page for young and beautiful from the del rey stans though

The song was met with widespread acclaim from critics.

okay lets see what they have to say!!

MTV commented that the track "falls very much in-line with what Lana Del Rey's fans have come to expect" from Del Rey.

[ r o f l ] @ them having no concept of 'damning with faint praise'

Rolling Stone '​s Jody Rosen recognized "Young and Beautiful" as the album's centerpiece, calling it "inert" and "a drag"

THE ACCLAIM

Finding the track restrained in comparison to her earlier work, August Brown, writing for The Los Angeles Times, called the single "clean" and "classy".

THE ACCLAIM [cont.]

i see they don't mention pitchfork's appraisal

Lana Del Rey’s “Young and Beautiful” is exactly what you’d expect a Lana Del Rey song called “Young and Beautiful” to sound like

couldn't have put it better myself tbh

i'm literally screaming at the delusions on the wiki page for young and beautiful from the del rey stans though

okay lets see what they have to say!!

[ r o f l ] @ them having no concept of 'damning with faint praise'

THE ACCLAIM

THE ACCLAIM [cont.]

i see they don't mention pitchfork's appraisal

couldn't have put it better myself tbh
I completely forgot that Beyoncé sounds NOTHING like Beyoncé's ever done before. The reinvention tbh.

Saying "this sounds like a Lana Del Rey song" is only dragging it if you dislike Lana. Which you clearly do.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I completely forgot that Beyoncé sounds NOTHING like Beyoncé's ever done before. The reinvention tbh.

Saying "this sounds like a Lana Del Rey song" is only dragging it if you dislike Lana. Which you clearly do.

i actually quite like a few lana songs, but 'this sounds exactly like what you expect this to sound like' is lowkey shade sis

spoiler:

it's a shady way of saying it's boring and uninteresting
Only if you've previously remarked that that the thing you're referencing is boring and uninteresting. That's like saying "it's definitely a Naughty Dog game!!" is shade, when we all know that means it will be of a high standard of polish, good writing, beautiful graphics etc.

I just don't see it... but it's probably cuz I like Lana.
whatever Young and Beautiful was great

she did say feminism was "boring" though... mess...
I know... pretty disappointing tbh
0knanCd.png

SaintZ

She didn't say it was boring, she said it was a concept she was not interested in, unlike metaphysics and space travel... but I believe she's a feminist. After all, she's been in charge of her career and does what she wants when it comes to it. This video talks about it

This selection is incredible O_O

I have a sweet spot in my heart for some songs of Erykah Baduh and Hot Stuff is such an anthem

---

Lana always serves those classic shoots that you could mistake to be from the golden era... It's funny, I never heard Born to Die and Ultraviolence even when I like the look of Lana =/
You should definitely listen to BTD :) you could skip most of UV tho (unfortunately). It has highlights but a lot of the album feels like filler imo :(

This selection is incredible O_O

I have a sweet spot in my heart for some songs of Erykah Baduh and Hot Stuff is such an anthem

---

Lana always serves those classic shoots that you could mistake to be from the golden era... It's funny, I never listened Born to Die or Ultraviolence even when I like the look of Lana =/
Give BTD a try, it's great and it's on Spotify (lol) The Paradise Edition has some great songs like Gods & Monsters, Body Electric, Ride, and Burning Desire.
Ultraviolence is just okay... there's Cruel World, Brooklyn Baby, Money Power Glory, Fucked My Way Up To The Top, and Florida Kilos.

rhandino

Banned
You should definitely listen to BTD :) you could skip most of UV tho (unfortunately). It has highlights but a lot of the album feels like filler imo :(
Give BTD a try, it's great and it's on Spotify (lol) The Paradise Edition has some great songs like Gods & Monsters, Body Electric, Ride, and Burning Desire.
Ultraviolence is just okay... there's Cruel World, Brooklyn Baby, Money Power Glory, Fucked My Way Up To The Top, and Florida Kilos.
Oh yeah, I will do it, and thanks for the recommendations, I wanted to try her music before the release of Ultraviolence since you all were hyping her a lot but then I kind of forgot X_X

Thank you. Erykah Badu is my favorite singer period. Drama is my favorite song of hers.
Oh yeah, Baduizm is incredible and full of really good songs...

Damn, when I was 15 I was more into Rock latino, Pop (Latino mostly but with a good dose of Britney, Xtina and more because MTV), Caribbean music but in the afternoon doing homework in the house of a good friend he will always put music from Erikah Baduh, Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot, Mariah Carey and many many more that really opened my eyes to A LOT of different genres that I never even really listened before.

I think that my tastes of music are all over the place thanks to him since I can be listening to Emotions from Mariah Carey, Noches de Travesura de Don Omar and then Ooops! I did it Again of Britney in sequence (My family is VERY amused of this =P)

Returning to Erykah, Baduizm is the album of her we listened more but my favorite song of her is "I Want You" from her third album I think, this Live rendition is so goood.

Sorry for the long post... Was writing while listening to those songs and got kind of inspired =P

Aguila

#ICONIC
OK, Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection truly is a pop ~ C L A S S I C ~

This is what people will turn to decades from now to study our culture (and on a sidebar, maybe something about Gags's meat dress).

OK, Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection truly is a pop ~ C L A S S I C ~

This is what people will turn to decades from now to study our culture (and on a sidebar, maybe something about Gags's meat dress).
image.php

TD is good but CC adds nothing apart from Part of Me

royalan

^^ I hate seeing images of the promo we got pre-PRISM. It all spoke to an era that we never actually got. :(

Before the actual era started Katy was giving us 90s Bad Bitch on Campus. Like, I was expecting to get The Craft realness from PRISM.

iZz7zFJYgz3Ca.gif

But only one track on the whole album sounds even remotely like that (Spiritual). The rest was a pretty forgettable Pop album that was completely in her safe zone.

Oh well...maybe she'll actually take a risk (instead of being Taylor Swift with big tits) next era. :(

The Flop

Banned
So which song will Sia do on Sunday, and will she utilize that little girl? I am hoping she does "Elastic Heart" b/c the radio adds date is next week, but I'm sure she has to do Chandelier.

Is this one of those shows though, where basically it seems like if you perform, you win something?

careyidol.gif

Oh wait... I forgot about Kanye from years past.

imma-let-you-finish.gif

royalan

So which song will Sia do on Sunday, and will she utilize that little girl? I am hoping she does "Elastic Heart" b/c the radio adds date is next week, but I'm sure she has to do Chandelier.

Is this one of those shows though, where basically it seems like if you perform, you win something?

careyidol.gif

Oh wait... I forgot about Kanye from years past.

imma-let-you-finish.gif

Basically, if old and out-of-touch white men have heard your music, you win something.

rhandino

Banned
Kiiii

Then again, all those little girls and boys seeing ha performance most likely don't have the album of Missy and their brains where shocked to see how on FIRE she was.

Maybe, as Mau said, the true purpose of Katy is to bring a resurgence of Missy Elliot. =P

^^ I hate seeing images of the promo we got pre-PRISM. It all spoke to an era that we never actually got. :(

Before the actual era started Katy was giving us 90s Bad Bitch on Campus. Like, I was expecting to get The Craft realness from PRISM.

iZz7zFJYgz3Ca.gif

But only one track on the whole album sounds even remotely like that (Spiritual). The rest was a pretty forgettable Pop album that was completely in her safe zone.

Oh well...maybe she'll actually take a risk (instead of being Taylor Swift with big tits) next era. :(
oh my fucking god lmao
fuck

cory64

^She wears her looks with more confidence now. It works.
except for couture, she'll never be able to serve that

She really is continuing to look better with age. Poor GaGa, Madonna, Knee.
She may even reach Gillian Anderson levels of ageless beauty

royalan

Never forget that one night when Roy's true feelings about Beyoncé seeped out.

Ch...bitch

I don't hate the BEYONCE album. In my opinion, it's the album that SHOULD HAVE followed I Am...Sasha Fierce. And knowing that it was going to smash has more to do with being observant than being a secret stan. lol

It's not the greatest album, though. And I have fallen way out of love with it since the hype died (as have most people...lets be real).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom