• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
hmm
biebs new haircut is both ridiculous yet I find him more attractive than I ever have
needs to shave off that stupid tache though

hmm
biebs new haircut is both ridiculous yet I find him more attractive than I ever have
needs to shave off that stupid tache though
ifFW6rNyNRpGq.gif
love yourself

cory64

WVfOebO.png

50. Funky Big Band | janet.
49. Make Me | Number Ones
48. Enjoy | 20 Y.O.
47. Daybreak | 20 Y.O.
46. Come On Get Up | All For You
45. Show Me | 20 Y.O.
44. Sexhibition | Damita Jo
43. Trust A Try | All For You
42. Lonely | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
41. Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun) | Control
40. Come Back To Me | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
39. What About | The Velvet Rope
38. Let's Wait Awhile | Control
37. Just A Little While | Damita Jo
36. Control | Control
35. I Want You | Damita Jo
34. State of the World | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
33. Runaway | Design of a Decade 1986–1996
32. Scream (w/ Michael Jackson) | HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I / Number Ones
31. This Time | janet.

cory64

BkURLbX.png

30. Free Xone | The Velvet Rope
Scatterbrained ode to being yourself​
29. So Excited (ft. Khia) | 20 Y.O.
A sufficiently ratchet bop​
28. Rope Burn | The Velvet Rope
Infinitely sexier than 50 Shades could ever hope to be.​
27. Rhythm Nation | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
That groove is fire , chorus is a little corny but she works the hell out of the verses​
26. Someone To Call My Lover | All For You
Loopy-bubbly reworking of a killer sample.​
25. When I Think Of You | Control
"BASS" is one of the better Janet commands.​
24. What Have You Done For Me Lately | Control
One of the greatest questions of the 20th Century. The bridge is heaven.​
23. Any Time, Any Place | janet.
Janet's tried to top this many times, and I admire her for that, but it's just never gonna happen again.​
22. Throb | janet.
Superb house hotness. Makes sex noises sound classy.​

21. Got Til It's Gone (ft. Q-Tip and Joni Mitchell) | The Velvet Rope
"JONI MITCHELL NEVER LIES" It's true, the CIA studied her for months because of her aversion to non-truths.​

cory64

HAz2Tyn.png

20. R&B Junkie | Damita Jo
The best possible revenge for her dubious first two albums is making a track so killer it would have wiped the floor in the era of those albums.​
19. I Get Lonely | The Velvet Rope
There's something oddly modern, almost James Blake-esque, about this that really keeps it fresh in the 2010s.​
18. Feedback | Discipline
Ahead of its time (came out months before Lady Gaga's debut), that heavy flow only gets better with age​
17. Miss You Much | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
The song that announced that Janet would not be a one-era wonder. She asks if "that's the end?," but it would be decades before we had an answer to that.​
16. Nasty | Control
Miss Jackson is taking over. Officially.​

cory64

AL7Ei7O.png

15. That's The Way Love Goes | janet.
Realer than real, not afraid to bust out some smooth jazz sounds, simply delightful from beginning to end.​
14. You Want This | janet.
What would a 90s Supremes song sound like? This is somewhere in the right direction, no doubt due to the killer sample. I want to live in that video​
13. Together Again | The Velvet Rope
A true classic, and the first Janet song I can remember hearing. Her most memorable vocals and I love the way the beat slinks in and out.​
12. Rock With U | Discipline
While Janet's throwbacks are usually perfection, this is simply transcendent. Her last regular single with a video, it's a fitting swan song for a fabulous career.​
11. All For You | All For You
Janet at the height of her powers, and one of the most infectious pre-chorus hooks of all time in "All my girls at the party/look at that body/shaking that thang like you never did see/Got a nice package alright/Cause I'm gonna have to ride it tonight"
EDIT.​

Partition

Banned
madonna's music should have matured as she got older but instead she started to do the opposite beginning with Hard Candy. this isn't me being ageist either, I just think for someone so late in the career with such an impressive legacy that they should be focused on making albums with more artistic merit that aren't really trying to come for hits. her last three albums are beyond embarrassing and are destroying her legacy bit by bit.

Floridian

madonna's music should have matured as she got older but instead she started to do the opposite beginning with Hard Candy. this isn't me being ageist either, I just think for someone so late in the career with such an impressive legacy that they should be focused on making albums with more artistic merit that aren't really trying to come for hits. her last three albums are beyond embarrassing and are destroying her legacy bit by bit.

Her last album was sort of cringeworthy with the trend-clinging it was doing. I mean I get the whole "trying to appeal to the modern audience" along with your past audience shtick but the execution wasn't successful.

cory64

PWZ1duN.png

10. Love Will Never Do (Without You) | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
This hit #1 right before I was born. That melody is worth its weight in iPads.​
9. Alright | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
Hip-hop bliss. Nothing more to it.​
8. If | janet.
This song and video invented Britney Spears and the 2010s. You're all welcome.​
7. Doesn't Really Matter | All For You
Sweetness riding a sticky beat. This video set my expectations for the future way too high, but at least it invented Instagram's aspect ratio.​
6. Go Deep | The Velvet Rope
The real best single from The Velvet Rope. I'd complain that it didn't chart higher but 1998 was a pretty good year (plus it was right before the big Billboard rule change and would have been a top 40 hit).​

cory64

vJyJPSs.png

5. Velvet Rope | The Velvet Rope
Violin killed it. Janet killed it. One of the best album openers of all time.​
4. All Nite (Don't Stop) | Damita Jo
Her best single of the 00s, tragically neutered by the awful reaction to her Super Bowl incident with Justin Timberlake (funny how his career carried on just fine).​
3. The Pleasure Principle | Control
There are a lot of great songs on Control, but this is the one that really mapped out the rest of her career. There's something a little more subtle and forward-thinking about this than the other stuff she was doing at the time.​
2. Escapade | Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814
While "You Want This" is certainly a great effort, this truly hangs with the best of The Supremes stuff as mid-late 20th century female pop perfection. Even her less-successful remake, "Runaway," was still pretty damn good.​
1. Empty | The Velvet Rope
With flawless production, this transports you to a higher plane of existence. It's ostensibly about finding a deeper relationship with someone online than in person, but not being able to be with them, but it renders that so beautifully you'd think it was so much more.​

This RedOne quote
“With Gaga, I’m fully committed until we’re done – we’re just going to work on writing songs – 20, 30, 40 songs – until we get hopefully the best album of the decade,” he said.
Source
Eeek! @ least it's not coming from her but do we really need these claims again
ifFW6rNyNRpGq.gif

Latch

vJyJPSs.png

4. (removed bcuz LOL)
There are a lot of great songs on Control, but this is the one that really mapped out the rest of her career. There's something a little more subtle and forward-thinking about this than the other stuff she was doing at the time.​
While "You Want This" is certainly a great effort, this truly hangs with the best of The Supremes stuff as mid-late 20th century female pop perfection. Even her less-successful remake, "Runaway," was still pretty damn good.​
With flawless production, this transports you to a higher plane of existence. It's ostensibly about finding a deeper relationship with someone online than in person, but not being able to be with them, but it renders that so beautifully you'd think it was so much more.​

YES @ this top 5! Janice has such an amazing discography.

ibiGr1dWxi2TqC.gif

Yado

Kanye's remixes aren't very good tbh, his features on Pop songs in general usually suck. It would be pretty hard to make a Taylor Swift song any worse than it already is though,

vJyJPSs.png

4. All Nite (Don't Stop) | Damita Jo
Her best single of the 00s, tragically neutered by the awful reaction to her Super Bowl incident with Justin Timberlake (funny how his career carried on just fine).​

Your Top 50 work is amazing, just saying. This top 5 is flawless.

Did you guy know that Control lost AOTY to a rock album and Velvet Rope was never event nominated for AOTY and still lost to a rock album? Sad

rhandino

Banned
Just a reminder to be percheD for Lady Gaga and her performance during the Oscar this February/22, which according to Craig Zadan (and Twitter smh) will be one of her biggest moments...

LEkv1sR.gif

Let me stan a bit just because her look during the Grammy was great even if I don't watch it live.

Oh, and also some other hew is performing that night, ha name eludes me rn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom