• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

PopJustice interview Charli XCX. Here's an interesting Rihanna segment

PJ:And how has the Rihanna stuff been going?
(Stupendous pause) Fine!

(Another pause)

I haven’t really done anything for it, so… (laughs)

PJ:Yet?
No, I haven’t done anything for it.

PJ:That was a disgraceful trick question wasn’t it. I didn’t even have any inkling that you had or hadn’t been working on Rihanna.

I haven’t! I haven’t been working on that.

PJ:And what was the meeting you were in before you picked up the phone?
Oh my God! Please! I’m going to hang up!

PJ:Anything to add?
No.

PJ:Anything you’d like to retract?
Yes.

PJAnything else?
Is this bit all going to go in? (awkwardly)

PJ:Maybe.
Oh my God. Leave me alone. I’m going to hang up now.

PJ:Byeee!
Goodbye.

When she said reggae was gonna be the "next big thing", was she talking about a possible REGGAE track with Rih? :duca:

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
if rih does a whole reggae album she can gtfo tbh

royalan

It's alright now, it's alright
It's all all all all all
all all all all all
all all all all all
all all all all all
all all all all all
all all all all all
all all all all all

tumblr_inline_nbkx2k3wf61r43a16.gif

Rihanna and Jessie Ware are still competing for your votes! Help ensure that one of them stays on the winners bracket by sending me a PM with your choice! It's still anyone's game so make it count, lovers. <3

I need Mumei to listen to Cheek to Cheek and give us a formal review of Gaga's vocals, as well as a comparison between her skillset and some other pop girls.

3phemeral

Sounds like most of C2C, which is really disappointing because when she mellows down, she sounds sooo good on it.

I wasn't here for Anything Goes, that's for sure.

i0qQINvsECss4.gif

It's interesting because while she tends to peak at Eb5 and E5 in terms of sounding comfortable/pushing it in live performances of Edge of Glory or Marry the Night, she's sounding shouty on C5s but at the same time, had a great sustained G#4. Maybe it's the live audio or she's just overcompensating to prove she can sing, thus affecting her consistency.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I can't even understand what purpose C2C is supposed to serve. Most of Gags fanbase is too scared to venture into jazz territory to begin with, and the rest seem to be put off by Tony -- which, to be fair, isn't entirely unreasonable. He absolutely earned his place, but this is the sort of 'last gasp' that tarnishes a legacy.

There are so many wonderful jazz vocalists, both classic and current, and hundreds of albums covering these standards; why would a person want to listen to this one over another?
paranoid.gif

I wasn't here for Anything Goes, that's for sure.

i0qQINvsECss4.gif

It's interesting because while she tends to peak at Eb5 and E5 in terms of sounding comfortable/pushing it in live performances of Edge of Glory or Marry the Night, she's sounding shouty on C5s but at the same time, had a great sustained G#4. Maybe it's the live audio or she's just overcompensating to prove she can sing, thus affecting her consistency.
Thanks for reminding me about this iconic scene.

3phemeral

I can't even understand what purpose C2C is supposed to serve. Most of Gags fanbase is too scared to venture into jazz territory to begin with, and the rest seem to be put off by Tony -- which, to be fair, isn't entirely unreasonable. He absolutely earned his place, but this is the sort of 'last gasp' that tarnishes a legacy.

There are so many wonderful jazz vocalists, both classic and current, and hundreds of albums covering these standards; why would a person want to listen to this one over another?
paranoid.gif
She's retreating after the onslaught of media backlash and instead of harnessing that no-b.s., resilient attitude that made her intriguing in her debut (which she completely softened up during BTW), she's going "back to her roots" because she used to love performing Jazz music growing up. I really don't understand it either, because as a "multi-faceted" singer, she should be able to release something like this as a secondary pillar to your artistry and not just jump from one to the next just because your pop pedestal is showing signs of wear and tear.

She once said, "I don't separate music as different things, so when I perform Country as opposed to Dance, I don't think of it as "Oh, she wants to be a Country singer now". Music is music." And now she's acting like pop music itself destroyed her and that Jazz is her only real, sincere, genuine savior. It's becoming off putting.

Thanks for reminding me about this iconic scene.
:)

paranoid.gif

Because people wanna see Lady Gaga try on new hats I guess. It just seems like a therapeutic venture for Gaga artistically and doesn't look like it's a huge investment for the label(s) so she got some free reign on it. So I suppose most of the "purpose" comes from Gaga's desire to sing jazz rather than thinking about its appeal to the audience.

Also, cross-over appeal is always good business sense. Gaga's making herself available to new demographics that wouldn't give a shit about her otherwise. Builds her cred as a singer, refocuses people's attention to her talent instead of antics, a perfect setup for a huge pop comeback album.

Aguila

#ICONIC
That doesn't really sound like she's singing Jazz at all, other than Jazz arrangements backing her vocal. :p

Well Y&B was originally a pop ballad and the other song is more soul, but I hear more jazz potential for Lana in those two songs than I've heard from the few songs I could stand from C2C :x

Mau ®

I don't like C2C. Then again, the most "Jazzy" I've ever gotten was stanning for Norah Jones during her "The Fall" era.
Which was basically soft rock tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom