• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

Remember when PopGAF was saying that FKA twigs was the new Bjork???

Arca is the main producer of Bjork's next album. (x)

Bjork is the next twigs????

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

ed2305b7.png
ed2305b7.png
ed2305b7.png

So Bjork will release a new album get hype about a month before release and when its released everyone will forget about her in one week or two like FKA twigs?

more remembered than your fave that isn't even in this flop tourney

849cfcb6.gif

Mau ®

I find it funny that Fergie and Gwen came back at a time when the market resembles 2006, when girls with "urban" flavor like them were ruling supreme.

I hope Gwen doesn't dissapoint. Though a Benny Blanco produced album is always interesting, I don't like current era Pharrell anymore.

I'm more excited about Fergie's comeback than Gwen's to be honest. Even though I know to expect more quality out of Gwen, Fergie's album DEFINED my high school years. My best friend and I would sing along to Mary Jane Shoes and laugh our asses off coz every song was so brassy and ridiculous. I just want another rambunctious album from her and I know she can pull it off again.

L.A Love (La La) is a bit unusual so it'll take me a few listens before I can judge. I can obviously tell it's kind of this Rihanna/Kreayshawn/Iggy trip-hop-pop inspired thing... I don't mind this direction but I want it to hit a little harder with the hooks.

*listens to London Bridge again*

Nemesis_

L.A Love is just....I don't know. It's familiar? It's too similar to other songs. The whole LA LA LA hook has been done to death, and it just feels like it's building up to this absolutely killer climax but then it goes absolutely nowhere.

I actually (weirdly enough) heard London Bridge, Fergalicious and even fucking Glamourous while on the way to and from work today. They're all much better pop songs than LA Love.

I think this one actually feels rather phoned in :/

I'm also relieved to see Pharrell is not producing Gwen's album, I had assumed that was the case but I'm really glad I'm wrong.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm more excited about Fergie's comeback than Gwen's to be honest. Even though I know to expect more quality out of Gwen, Fergie's album DEFINED my high school years. My best friend and I would sing along to Mary Jane Shoes and laugh our asses off coz every song was so brassy and ridiculous. I just want another rambunctious album from her and I know she can pull it off again.

L.A Love (La La) is a bit unusual so it'll take me a few listens before I can judge. I can obviously tell it's kind of this Rihanna/Kreayshawn/Iggy trip-hop-pop inspired thing... I don't mind this direction but I want it to hit a little harder with the hooks.

*listens to London Bridge again*

I tried liking L.A Love (La La) cause I liked Fergie's album but it simply didn't click after multiple tries. I wouldn't say its bad but its something I wouldn't pay to have.

Pharell is an amazing producer though. There's a common thread typically with his contributions but his seal of quality is comparitively high.

I'm glad Will.I.Am isn't producing Fergie's coz that would make me sad. Wait... he isn't right? :/

Also, the "la la la" has been done to death BY FERGIE. Think of every BEP hook up to Monkey Business. She pulled that on almost every single, lol

Nemesis_

Pharell is an amazing producer though. There's a common thread typically with his contributions but his seal of quality is comparitively high.

I'm glad Will.I.Am isn't producing Fergie's coz that would make me sad. Wait... he isn't right? :/

Also, the "la la la" has been done to death BY FERGIE. Think of every BEP hook up to Monkey Business. She pulled that on almost every single, lol

I value his work as The Neptunes more so than his work solo, especially in recent years. His whole retro schtick is so tired already. ATMJAM was abysmal. I Was Gonna Cancel is the worst Kylie song I've heard in years.

I just think he's lazy and his album was shit.

and then someone pointed this out to me and it just sealed the deal for me, lol: http://www.stereogum.com/1682908/every-pharrell-song-starts-the-same-way/news/

Touchdown

Banned
I didn't realize how similar Iggy sounds to Fergie till my first La la la listen. I'm not sure if there's room for Fergie in the market anymore but I'm rooting for her and hope she does well with her new album. Looking forward to some new Ferg bops.

Kraftwerk

Hey,

Recently discovered FKA Twigs. Realized I am missing out on a lot of musicians these days.

Any other artists you guys recommend in the same vein as FKA twigs, Grimes ? Love me a lot of electronic .

And, just for the hell of it, posting this .gif again;

iOUAa8HIbjULS.gif

You have to PM me your vote for it to count :)

I think I'm gonna go with Lana Del Rey. Kylie's an icon in her own right but I don't know her discography like I do Lana's. Also like Marius says, Lana's market value for me is higher because no one else can do sad harassed civil war bride like her.

3phemeral

Looks like I don't have to listen to C2C via Spotify, they're playing it at Barnes and Noble. I swear, I thought I Can't Give You Anything But Love was Xtina. So far on Firefly, she sounds extremely shouty. I don't understand why she's not mixing, she's really just pushing those cords and it's not pleasant on this track.
Nothing stood out to me other than Lush Life, but I did hear something I liked and when I used Google Music to identify which track it was, it was called:

Crazy About the Blues

Vazduh

Hey,

Recently discovered FKA Twigs. Realized I am missing out on a lot of musicians these days.

Any other artists you guys recommend in the same vein as FKA twigs, Grimes ? Love me a lot of electronic .

Try the inc. brothers, they're great.

They also collaborated with FKA twigs on one song.

reading all of that with Ima Read playing in the background

ibm7P2CAgNuORP.gif

flawless bitch tbh <3

I had to return to that post again. I mean, just those New York gifs... <3

A lot of votes have come in so far, but it's still a dead heat on day #2. Make sure to save either Kylie, Lana or Grimes by tomorrow!

#teamkylie
#teamlana
#idontknowgrimes
#isthatafriendofyours

Mau ®

GAF's time traveller has spilled some tea on whether our fave pop stars will of any importance in the far distant future:

Mau ®;132323825 said:
Yes, but did Rihanna become the Queen of Pop?

Or was it Katy Perry all along? Or Lady Gaga :S

Neither were important enough to have their artistry archived in any satellite or researching colonies. Does that settle it?

Poor dat.

Vitanimus

So I'm making a demo tape thing for my local student radio so I'm gonna represent POPGAF

I described the genre I want to play as "alternative pop"

I'm ready to bless the masses

Mau ®

FINAL HDD numbers:

-------------------

TONY BENNETT & LADY GAGA

COLUMBIA/INTERSCOPE

CHEEK TO CHEEK
-------------------
KENNY CHESNEY

BLUE CHAIR/COLUMBIA NASH
-------------------

BARBRA STREISAND

COLUMBIA

Billboard usually has slightly different numbers than HDD, so let's wait. It looks like it's really close tho.

Vitanimus

I wish I was you
A piece of gold of the bottom of the blue
To heavy to swim
But too beautiful to lose
Hold in my breath
And diving down to give you air
I never knew the colours that surround you

Holding on forever to keep you
To keep from slipping too deep
If you want to escape you don't need to
Just look for me
I'm taking in water for you, my love
For you I'll take the blue away
I'm taking water my breath I'll remember
I'm taking water for you

ibm7P2CAgNuORP.gif

SaintZ

queen of the clouds is amazing

y'all stay pressedT

victoriaescapennkqv.gif
I listened to it this morning and I was so excited about it after Truth Serum... but I'm not feeling it outside of the promo singles (Thousand Miles, Moments) and Love Ballad, Not Made For This World and Run On Love tbh. I'll stick to listening TS. It's a shame that Paradise is not included on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom