• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

adsadasdadafsdfvy

1vQaFXu.gif

adfadsaasdavadffelkć

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
going from so happy i could die to that hatsune miku mess was one of the most jarring transitions in my life
tumblr_me87bjk7px1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

Aside from the fact that Gaga clutched the pop culture zeitgeist by its balls, here are 10 reasons why you should love yourself and vote for the inevitable queen of pop:

1) Bad Romance - A sophomore effort to end all sophomore efforts. Oops!... I Did It Again could never.

2) Pokerface - One of the most iconic hooks of all time, 'nuff said.

3) Born This Way - This song arrived right at the cusp of gay rights hitting mainstream critical mass. You don't have to say that it helped facilitate it, but you might as well tell the truth.

4) Telephone - Who else can get Beyonce to duet with her (TWICE) with only one album into her own career? And not only that, but stand toe to fucking toe with her like a goddamn equal? Only this bitch.

5) The Meat Dress - This isn't a song, but its impact was so exponential that it will forever live on as a footnote in popular fashion. It is synonymous with pop zeitgeist. It is the greatest, most ridiculous, most hilarious, most self-aware fashion choice ever on a red carpet of anything and nothing will ever top the sheer AUDACITY of having this worn at an internationally televised award show. No one else has the balls or appetite.

6) She can sing well - Apologies to Robyn, but Lady Gaga doesn't need endless vocal synth technology to make her voice not sound shaky and high pitched like a dog whistle. Gaga is a fantastic singer who can perform toe to toe with all-time greats. Robyn's voice sounds shaky just standing stockstill. I guess that's why she lip syncs though.

7) She (re)-popularized online social interaction - Ever since Gaga took over Twitter and made it her proverbial bitch, pop stars nowadays vent, shade, shamelessly promote and directly engage their fans on social media sites as daily routine. Not only was Gaga the first major pop star to use Twitter on a large-scale front, but she was the first to prove indelibly that the new frontier for pop star culture was social media transparency. And who doesn't have a Twitter and Instagram account now?

8) She runs a machine, but isn't machine-run - Lady Gaga does what Lady Gaga fucking wants. If she wants to use her maximum exposure to sing about gay rights advocacy instead of singing about club twerking and busting hymens then she does it. If she wants to release a collection of jazz standards with an 88 year old sarcophagus instead of making another pop record, she fucking does it. Lady Gaga is so unpredictable that you'd be hard pressed to say that it isn't fun to watch and follow. You never know what this bitch is gonna pull out next. And that's entertainment.

9) Paparazzi - Yes this song is brilliant, and it's a beautiful foretold story about the public assassination of the icon, released only a few years before Gaga got to see it happen to her. Unlike her genius VMA performance however, Gaga shall rise above unscathed.

10) It's Lady Motherfucking Gaga - Robyn's an amazing pop artist, we know this. But Lady Gaga. How many of us were legit shook at her meteoritic rise to superstardom? How many of us compared her to MADONNA so early on in her career? Most importantly, how many of us legitimately declared Lady Gaga the future and inevitable ruler of pop music based on merely a snapshot of her full potential as an artist? Whether or not you liked Born This Way or ARTPOP, the fact is that time and time again we all come back to Gaga in hopes that she fulfills our own manufactured prophecy: To be the best, and smash the other bitches to filth. And it's because we need it to be true. Enough said.

There's only one answer here. #voteforGaga

giphy.gif

[citation needed]

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'll let the FACTS speak for THEMSELVES. gaga's creative peak simply doesn't come close to robyn's.

KVQwOwu.png

3wjm9mu.png

vote QUALITY. vote CONSISTENCY. vote FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T ANNOYING AS ALL FUCK.

vote ROBYN.

[edit] oh and also that new Röyksopp track Skulls is on Spotify now and lordt it's amazing

Vazduh

Betty Who's album is out and I'm happy to say it's very good.

sBqxJ1F.jpg

On the first listen it sounds samey, but that's mostly due to Peter Thomas who handled the production on every track. Basically, the album is like a soundtrack to an unreleased 80s coming-of-age movie. Energetic, loud, fun, retro pop that's easy to love.

Choice tracks:

Runaways
High Society
Glory Days

Vazduh

Will listen, thanks. I never heard of her, but saw this giant on The View yesterday.

EDIT: Bought :)

She's 6-foot-1-inch tall :SSSSSSS

Glad you gave her a chance! And btw, I forgot to answer your previous post here (about Alpines), I'm also happy to see more love for them, they're really good.

Phreaker

Vitanimus

Aside from the fact that Gaga clutched the pop culture zeitgeist by its balls, here are 10 reasons why you should love yourself and vote for the inevitable queen of pop:

1) Bad Romance - A sophomore effort to end all sophomore efforts. Oops!... I Did It Again could never.

2) Pokerface - One of the most iconic hooks of all time, 'nuff said.

3) Born This Way - This song arrived right at the cusp of gay rights hitting mainstream critical mass. You don't have to say that it helped facilitate it, but you might as well tell the truth.

4) Telephone - Who else can get Beyonce to duet with her (TWICE) with only one album into her own career? And not only that, but stand toe to fucking toe with her like a goddamn equal? Only this bitch.

5) The Meat Dress - This isn't a song, but its impact was so exponential that it will forever live on as a footnote in popular fashion. It is synonymous with pop zeitgeist. It is the greatest, most ridiculous, most hilarious, most self-aware fashion choice ever on a red carpet of anything and nothing will ever top the sheer AUDACITY of having this worn at an internationally televised award show. No one else has the balls or appetite.

6) She can sing well - Apologies to Robyn, but Lady Gaga doesn't need endless vocal synth technology to make her voice not sound shaky and high pitched like a dog whistle. Gaga is a fantastic singer who can perform toe to toe with all-time greats. Robyn's voice sounds shaky just standing stockstill. I guess that's why she lip syncs though.

7) She (re)-popularized online social interaction - Ever since Gaga took over Twitter and made it her proverbial bitch, pop stars nowadays vent, shade, shamelessly promote and directly engage their fans on social media sites as daily routine. Not only was Gaga the first major pop star to use Twitter on a large-scale front, but she was the first to prove indelibly that the new frontier for pop star culture was social media transparency. And who doesn't have a Twitter and Instagram account now?

8) She runs a machine, but isn't machine-run - Lady Gaga does what Lady Gaga fucking wants. If she wants to use her maximum exposure to sing about gay rights advocacy instead of singing about club twerking and busting hymens then she does it. If she wants to release a collection of jazz standards with an 88 year old sarcophagus instead of making another pop record, she fucking does it. Lady Gaga is so unpredictable that you'd be hard pressed to say that it isn't fun to watch and follow. You never know what this bitch is gonna pull out next. And that's entertainment.

9) Paparazzi - Yes this song is brilliant, and it's a beautiful foretold story about the public assassination of the icon, released only a few years before Gaga got to see it happen to her. Unlike her genius VMA performance however, Gaga shall rise above unscathed.

10) It's Lady Motherfucking Gaga - Robyn's an amazing pop artist, we know this. But Lady Gaga. How many of us were legit shook at her meteoritic rise to superstardom? How many of us compared her to MADONNA so early on in her career? Most importantly, how many of us legitimately declared Lady Gaga the future and inevitable ruler of pop music based on merely a snapshot of her full potential as an artist? Whether or not you liked Born This Way or ARTPOP, the fact is that time and time again we all come back to Gaga in hopes that she fulfills our own manufactured prophecy: To be the best, and smash the other bitches to filth. And it's because we need it to be true. Enough said.

There's only one answer here. #voteforGaga

giphy.gif

Hahahahaha

Hahaha

Hahah

Anyway let me go listen to Jesus Ware, her gospel

Mau ®

This is tough.

On one hand, Gaga from Papparazi to Edge of Glory was true slayage. The kind of slayage you wish your fave unleashed.

On the other hand, Robyn is consistent quality and she would never release rancid trash like ARTPOP and C2C. Plus she's not annoying and unpleasant like Gaga.

Let me evaluate their output again.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Saying that Gaga does what she wants compared with Robyn is imo stupid. Robyn left her label and set up her own because she wanted to move from RnB to electropop and they didn't want her to.

Gaga stans are acting as though making an artless 'jazz' album is some incredible avante garde thing and not a fucking Rod Stewart legacy act mess. Meanwhile in the same year Robyn puts out Do It Again with Röyksopp and it's more outré than anything Gaga has ever made.

Not Round 2 already getting more votes than the Katy/Charli match not even 12 hours in. Gaga and Robyn, their implacable presence.

In the meantime, let's run through the EIGHT MOST UNDERRATED AND UNDERUTILIZED LADY GAGA SONGS THAT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO AGAIN BECAUSE I LIKE THEM:

1) SO HAPPY I COULD DIE - Lush, ambient, euphoric and sleek. I love that this song takes the typical motifs of addiction and chaos and repackages it as this elegant, self-controlled sound. She took an ugly idea and made it gorgeous and enviable. This song is delish.

2) BLOODY MARY - Medieval Gothic production with moody synths and trembling vocals feels like the universe is on the verge of a psychotic breakdown at any moment. This is a quintessential Halloween pop song, and it carries the motifs of jealousy, powerlessness and martyrdom through to its full potential. It's haunting and beautiful.

3) HIGHWAY UNICORN (ROAD TO LOVE) - This is a rapid fire acid trip through the gay subconscience, filled with chants of gravitas and "love yourself" platitudes. It's the sonic equivalent to the kitchen sink, but the moment you let it take over you with those howling vocals and arena-rock drums, the package becomes nothing less than epic.

4) ARTPOP - This song sold the idea of ARTPOP better than any other songs on that album ever could. In fact it's probably the only song on ARTPOP to do it. This song is poignant, elegant, sort of a reserved psychedelia. If you listen closely you can hear two sides of Gaga at once: one vocal is robotic and cold, the other is warm and accessible, presumably an extension of the "ART/POP" motif. Fully realized from start to finish imo.

5) MONSTER - One of Gaga's most soulful songs, and it's too bad this got shuffled back in favor of the more obvious hits from The Fame Monster. Every melodic of this song is catchy as hell, and the way it refuses to get out of its own shell adds to its appeal. It's a static song about overcoming codependence and overcoming a bad seed.

6) THE FAME - A spunky and sarcastic narrative that seems shamelessly surface-level, but its the simplicity of the lyrics and theme that drives the point home: we live for quick and easy gratification. It's a silly song about a silly problem, and stays tightly confined within the boundaries of its story. Just a really well done song.

7) HAIR - This song is pure 80s cheese, but the melodies are unadulterated and super fun. This song could have been transplanted back to an 80s afterschool drama soundtrack and would have fit in like a puzzle piece. A perfect snapshot of teen dream 80s culture and the production is as loud and rambunctious as the storyline itself.

8) MARRY THE NIGHT - This is one of Lady Gaga's best songs, if only for the incredible chord changes and high energy melodic switches throughout. The song showcases her tried and true tropes (the famous st-st-stutter, New York high-octane lifestyle, infectious dance beats) but it blends everything together in one epic joyride. Plus, the final breakdown/outro completely transitions the mood from a sort of somber and damaged self-assurance to this sledge-hammering invincibility. No one is safe on the dancefloor once that beat kicks in, because I will turn it flip it arc it drop it and SERVE MAMA.

Body Talk is amazing though. Like one of the best collections of bops ever. Robyn's fucking fab and I would vote for her if she was up against (almost) anyone else, but she can't snatch it this time. :(

Christopher

You say I'm crazy...cause you don't think I know what you've done...but when you call me baby....I know I'm not the only one.

Geeze this guy is awesome.

Vazduh

I hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed their debut album. I listen to it almost daily.

Here's Betty Who on The View yesterday: http://www.idolator.com/7565689/betty-who-performs-somebody-loves-you-the-view

It's one of my favorite pop albums from this year, too! :) Fun fact: I was surprised that the up an coming producer MNEK produced a couple of songs on it, and provided back-vocals.

Betty did very good, although she was a bit out of breath at moments, maybe she was a bit nervous.

Turns out she's actually 6'2'' (my height). DAMN.

uNVFhBG.gif

Champagne Kisses....

[ S O B B I N G ]

Loved that one. One of my faves off the new album.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Jessie J -Sweet Talker

Ain't Been Done: 7/10
Burning Up: 8/10
Sweet Talker: 8/10
Bang Bang: 7/10
Fire: 7/10
Personal: 8/10
Masterpiece: 6/10
Seal Me With a Kiss: 9/10
Said Too Much: 8/10
Loud: 6/10
Keep Us Together: 7/10
Get Away: 5/10
Your Loss I'm Found: 8/10
Strip: 9/10
You Don't Really Know Me: 7/10

Overall Score: 7.5/10
Compared to her previous albums this is the most cohesive album and it has cute bops. Nothing groundbreaking but is quite good.

Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Tough Love : 10/10
You & I : 8/10
Cruel : 10/10
Say You Love Me : 8/10
Sweetest Song: 9/10
Kind Of... Sometimes... Maybe : 8/10
Want Your Feeling : 10/10
Pieces 9/10
Keep On Lying 8/10
Champagne Kisses 10/10
Desire 8/10

Overall Score: 9/10
Pretty much as god tier as her previous album.

So, Nick Jonas is still slaying me. Chains, Jealous, and Numb are all bops.
Jessie Ware's Pieces is pretty much amazing.
Tove Lo's Queen of the Clouds is awesome. Not On Drugs is just... everything.
Cheek 2 Cheek still sucks.
I rediscovered Work Bitch, and it still gives me life.

ibaC15BCZGElU6.gif

Over the ocean, outcast with nowhere to go
A brighter forecast where new winds will blow
A storm is drawing near, come meet me when it’s cleared
Waste my youth chasing kites I know will blow out of my hand

tumblr_nctg9lUpkX1s38iybo1_500.gif

<3

Vazduh

There's a Vazduh inpersonator on gaming side

Oh God, I saw that guy. At first I thought someone had broken into my account and then I realized someone had the same avatar. Dat bitch!

Ontopic: You+Me also leaked. Let me see if one of my favorite pop guys (P!nk) still has it. I bet he does!

hmmm

i'm going to wait for tough love like a good disciple

but i have the betty who album on my mental list of things to listen to, so i'll do that this weekend most likely (alongside my list of things to do which seems for the first time in my life to be insurmountably long, mess)

i'm having a sophie ellis-bextor week this week; new york city lights is a perfect pop song (do it, feel it, touch it, taste it)

make a scene is an excellent dance album too

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I shan't listen to Tough Love until Jessie blesses it to appear in my library
Assuming Itunes doesn't fuck it up like every other preorder I seem to have with them

and Jessica Lange slayed that musical number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom